Community
Wiki Posts
Search

CAI turnaround is it possible?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 10, 2016, 7:46 am

Programs: QF SG, AC, AA
Originally Posted by IAN-UK
... The alternative approach involves showing your ticket and/or "check-in confirmation" document to the CAI transfer desk. You'd then have to wait while they took your docs plus passport to the Qatar office to get a boarding card. You then get a transfer stamp in your passport, and get released into the departure area...
This is in fact what I did.

I showed the onward ticket on my computer to the transfer desk person, who said he would keep my passport. He called the QR staff, who eventually made their way back to the transfer area, checked my passport and interviewed me briefly. They went away and eventually the boarding cards and my passport arrived.

I did not realize it, but after the interview, I was free to wander anywhere airside, including visiting the lounge.
Old Nov 10, 2016, 7:50 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: QF, VA, AC, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by jrobin
This is in fact what I did.

I showed the onward ticket on my computer to the transfer desk person, who said he would keep my passport. He called the QR staff, who eventually made their way back to the transfer area, checked my passport and interviewed me briefly. They went away and eventually the boarding cards and my passport arrived.

I did not realize it, but after the interview, I was free to wander anywhere airside, including visiting the lounge.
Interesting. What is this lounge you speak off?
Old Nov 10, 2016, 7:54 am

Originally Posted by Silver Falcon
jrobin

October 30: CAI-xDOH-ORD

January 4: ORD-xDFW-MEX

I had the same issue MCT - DOH - JFK. I could do OLCI, but I couldn't print my boarding pass.

On my outward flight to MCT I asked at the lounge (in DOH) to print my boarding passes, but they could not. After checking with someone downstairs and checking my documents for US (i.e. visa), the person "released something" and they were able to print all my boarding passes.

Where possible always try to have all boarding passes available especially doing a turnaround and the time is tight.

Hope this helps.
It is very helpful to know that the lounge staff were able to solve the problem and get you boarding passes.

On a different matter, I tried in vain to get the airside service desk at DOH to change a QR destination on my xONEx ex-CAI written on QR ticket stock, but they claimed they did not have authority to reissue a ticket.

Last edited by jrobin; Nov 10, 2016 at 8:25 am
Old Nov 10, 2016, 8:23 am

Originally Posted by danger
Interesting. What is this [CAI] lounge you speak off?
VIP Lounge.
Admission by an invitation provided by QR for Oneworld Sapphire or above, or by Priority Pass membership, or I understand sometimes by cash payment.
Old Nov 10, 2016, 8:30 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: QF, VA, AC, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by jrobin
VIP Lounge.
Admission by an invitation provided by QR for Oneworld Sapphire or above, or by Priority Pass membership, or I understand sometimes by cash payment.
Awesome. The oneworld site doesn't show that so I would have been none the wiser.
Old Nov 10, 2016, 10:55 am

Programs: BAEC Gold [>20k Lifetime TPs] | Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond [as is Mrs PtF] | Various Others
Originally Posted by danger

Awesome. The oneworld site doesn't show that so I would have been none the wiser.
Don't get your hopes up too much.
Old Nov 10, 2016, 11:14 am

Programs: BA GGL, TK E (*G), ITA exec
Next February I will "transit" in CAI with husbands, 2 kids and checked luggage, arriving with OS at 14:50 and departing on QR at 19. On the way back will be arriving on QR at 11:45 and leaving with OS at 16:10.

Any advice or warning about it would be very helpful! (like about moving from terminals, re-check luggage etc...)

Thank you!
Old Nov 10, 2016, 1:42 pm

Lefly Rather than getting a rehash of the previous posts I suggest that you read the thread. All the information you require is there.
Old Nov 10, 2016, 1:46 pm

Thanks, I read it all already but since I will be with young kids I thought to ask again for this kind of scenario Apologies if was not appropriate
Old Nov 10, 2016, 5:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by Lefly
Next February I will "transit" in CAI with husbands, ....
Now this sounds interesting. How many?
Old Nov 11, 2016, 2:30 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
Now this sounds interesting. How many?
Be kind!
Old Nov 11, 2016, 2:43 am

ops...
lol!
Old Nov 11, 2016, 5:47 am

Programs: BAEC Gold [>20k Lifetime TPs] | Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond [as is Mrs PtF] | Various Others

Next February I will "transit" in CAI with husbands, 2 kids and checked luggage, arriving with OS at 14:50 and departing on QR at 19. On the way back will be arriving on QR at 11:45 and leaving with OS at 16:10.

Any advice or warning about it would be very helpful! (like about moving from terminals, re-check luggage etc...)

Thank you!
Lefly - may I offer some specific guidance about OS/QR and vv transfers.

As part of the Star Alliance OS flies into and out of CAI T3. Currently QR (One World Alliance) flies into and out of CAI T1.

CAI T2 opened at the end of September 2016, and it is believed that - amongst others - QR will transfer its CAI operations from T1 to T2; at a date yet to be determined.

Given your travel dates are approximately three months away I would establish closer to the time which CAI terminal QR is based at (T1 or T2). T3 and T2 are immediately adjacent to each other, while T1 is somewhat further away - but connected to T3 by a monorail.

I'm guessing you will have to go through immigration (tourist visa currently costs USD25 per person, I'm assuming you're from an eligible country for this), claim your bags, go through customs, change terminals, and then check-in for your onward flight.

While entering and exiting T3 is relatively tranquil the same cannot be said of T1. It can be a bit of a zoo for both departing and arriving passengers, so have your wits about you and hold on tightly to your kids - and husbands.
Old Nov 11, 2016, 8:34 am

Thanks, Phil the Flyer!
At this point I would hope QR will move to T2 before February
Old Nov 11, 2016, 11:10 am

Programs: BAEC:Silver ,IHG:Spire Amb ,QR:Silver,HH:Diamond
Thanks, Phil the Flyer!
At this point I would hope QR will move to T2 before February
I would abandon hopes of QR moving to T2 by February . Egyptian "soft" openings are notoriously long! When I passed through T2 from the train to T3 2 weeks ago there were only 2 flights listed on the departures board . My next Flights from CAI are in April and I'm still expecting them to be from T1

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.