Community
Wiki Posts
Search

CAI turnaround is it possible?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16, 2017, 8:57 am

Programs: BA GGL, TK E (*G), ITA exec
I just had a MyflightsApp alert for a 4th march flight.

Originally Posted by dakaix
Looks like 28th February is the magic day; all the QR flights I checked from then on show as departing from T2 in the schedule.
Bummer! I fly out on 25th Feb! Oh, well, better than nothing
Old Feb 16, 2017, 2:31 pm

Programs: QR Silver, BA Silver, FB Gold
Originally Posted by Phil the Flyer
I've currently got seven QR F/J ex-CAI itineraries during the five month period April-August 2017 - and not a whisper yet from My Flights!

Still - I shall miss CAI T1 (like a hole in the head)!
Actually, having tried T2 a couple of times in January, I wonder if I will not, indeed, be missing T1.
First of all, security at T2 is really over the top -- you have to go through (very inquisitorial) security checks at least three times from street to plane.
Second, somewhat disappointingly, the lounges in T2 have little more to say for themselves than the ones in T1.
Third, customs upon arrival at T2 can be a hassle. They've installed luggage X-ray machines, which makes it easy for them to decide to X-ray your bags and have you open them for inspection because they get suspicious about this item or that.

Overall, it was significantly more aggravating hassle than the more relaxed T1.

Last edited by husseinbadr; Feb 16, 2017 at 3:09 pm
Old Feb 16, 2017, 2:45 pm

CAI-related, but a little OT

Ever since the QR-BA JV came into force on the DOH-LHR route, CAI-LHR travel on QR is becoming increasingly more difficult. QR seems to be heavily restricting availability on their own flights between DOH & LHR for bookings ex-CAI. Most availability (in business) connects to the code-shared BA flight between DOH & LHR, and v.v. (for a refugee from BA like myself, this is both ironic and disappointing). In the relatively rare instances where end-to-end QR flights are made available, they are usually at quite a steep premium.

Anybody got any insight into this?
Old Feb 16, 2017, 2:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by Phil the Flyer
I've currently got seven QR F/J ex-CAI itineraries during the five month period April-August 2017 - and not a whisper yet from My Flights!

Still - I shall miss CAI T1 (like a hole in the head)!
I came through T1 with QR a couple of weeks back, and it was a joy (OK, we're talking relative joy), now the others have gone. With the special bus to the terminal I was through and out in no time.

The atmosphere was so much more relaxed, one of the limo men even lent me his phone to call a Careem
Old Feb 16, 2017, 3:26 pm

T2 arrivals -- forgot to mention

Also, they currently do not seem to allow cars to meet arriving passengers in front of (or anywhere near) the terminal. You have to take a weird route down to the parking lot (which is below the level of the elevated T2 building), dragging your luggage along. Can't wait to experience the exit scrum of passengers trying to make it to the parking lot when the Emirates and QR 777-300s, each packed to the gills, arrive more or less simultaneously around 5 in the afternoon . Throw in a slightly delayed EY or SV flight into the mix, and the fun will be endless.
Old Feb 16, 2017, 5:57 pm

Programs: DL Plat, NZ Elite, QF Plat
Fingers crossed the transit process in T2 will be simpler/faster for QR-QR connections!
Old Feb 16, 2017, 11:26 pm

Someone has already done T2 > Le Meridien?
Old Feb 17, 2017, 2:13 am

Programs: QFF, AA, LM, EY
Guys what lounge do QR F pax have access to at CAI ?
Anything decent ?

I'm considering a 4:40am-1:40pm transit (9 hours) and whilst I love Cairo (have been 3 times before) don't really wanna go through the hassle of getting a visa so would prefer to stay in the airport.
Old Feb 17, 2017, 4:05 am

Programs: LH SEN, FB Plat., HH D.
Originally Posted by Nizar
Anything decent ?

I'm considering a 4:40am-1:40pm transit (9 hours) and whilst I love Cairo (have been 3 times before) don't really wanna go through the hassle of getting a visa so would prefer to stay in the airport.
Not a lounge where you want to spend 9 hrs...
Old Feb 17, 2017, 4:59 am

Programs: BAEC Gold [>20k Lifetime TPs] | Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond [as is Mrs PtF] | Various Others
Originally Posted by husseinbadr

Ever since the QR-BA JV came into force on the DOH-LHR route, CAI-LHR travel on QR is becoming increasingly more difficult. QR seems to be heavily restricting availability on their own flights between DOH & LHR for bookings ex-CAI. Most availability (in business) connects to the code-shared BA flight between DOH & LHR, and v.v. (for a refugee from BA like myself, this is both ironic and disappointing). In the relatively rare instances where end-to-end QR flights are made available, they are usually at quite a steep premium.

Anybody got any insight into this?
I'm facing an identical problem when trying to book QR F/J CAI-DOH-LHR and vv itineraries. Let's face it, given the choice between a BA CW 777 and a QR J 380, 350, 787 or 777 ^ DOH-LHR-DOH it's no contest.

I've been able to mitigate the problem to a certain extent by using the multi-city option (as opposed to the return option) and creating either a CAI-DOH-LHR / XXX-DOH-CAI or CAI-DOH-XXX / LHR-DOH-CAI itinerary - prices for which can still be reasonably-competitive - combined with a XXX-LHR or LHR-XXX BA CE flight. This has the added benefit of giving me my minimum four BA paid flights per twelve months to retain BAEC Gold/OWE (BAEC remains my OW frequent flyer programme of choice).

Alternatively I just book a CAI-DOH-XXX-DOH-CAI itinerary, and fly XXX-LHR-XXX with BA. This strategy has given rise to some excellent fares: Mrs PtF and I are both flying CAI-DOH-CDG return in F (A380 DOH-CDG and vv) in April for GBP1,220; CAI-DOH-BRU return in J (A350 DOH-BRU and vv) in August for GBP550!
Old Feb 17, 2017, 11:39 pm

Programs: Mucci, BA GGL/CCR
Originally Posted by more4less
Not a lounge where you want to spend 9 hrs...
Seconded. I've been through the First Class lounge at Terminal 1 twice this week and it's one of the rather more odd lounges I've been to. Minimal facilities, certainly not somewhere you'd want to spend 9 hours. If I had that length of time to kill, I'd want to get out of the airport.
Old Feb 18, 2017, 5:49 am

Programs: QFF, AA, LM, EY
Originally Posted by Mike P
Seconded. I've been through the First Class lounge at Terminal 1 twice this week and it's one of the rather more odd lounges I've been to. Minimal facilities, certainly not somewhere you'd want to spend 9 hours. If I had that length of time to kill, I'd want to get out of the airport.
But what's there to do in Cairo (or any city?) between 5am-midday though ?

The timing doesn't align itself with a hotel booking either ?
Old Feb 18, 2017, 7:39 am
R2

If you qualify for visa on arrival, it's no hassle at all, just USD25 for the sticker...but I agree if you've been there 3 times you've probably seen enough of Cairo anyway.

But what's there to do in Cairo (or any city?) between 5am-midday though ?

The timing doesn't align itself with a hotel booking either ?
If possible book better flights...get there earlier to get some decent sleep in a hotel, gym, swim whatever is your thing. I would only ever do such a 9 hour transit at CAI if the airfare saving really, really justifies it.
Old Feb 18, 2017, 8:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by Nizar
Anything decent ?

Well if you prefer to stay in the airport, fair enough, stay there: but you'll be limited to the T1 lounges. The deep interior of these has a reasonably comfortable space, but still not somewhere i'd want to spend nine hours.

The visa really is the very least hassle of all the CAI processes.

If you go out of the airport you could get yourself to Citystars (only about fifteen minute's away) for a very different Cairo experience, mooching round the upscale shopping complex, having coffee in some smart cafes or even trying the hotel's pool and leisure complex.

I'm not sure when the mall opens, and you'd want to get back to the airport for 12:00.
Old Feb 18, 2017, 8:46 am

Sorry, anyone know if you can pay for access at the T2 lounge?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.