Community
Wiki Posts
Search

QR Big announcement on 9th December

Search this Thread

Old Nov 26, 2015, 4:34 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
QR Big announcement on 9th December

Copied from OMAAT - http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.c...t-in-new-york/

According to a press invite received by Travel Market Report, Qatar Airways Group Chief Executive, His Excellency Akbar Al Baker, is headed to New York City “to usher in a historic moment in American aviation” on Dec. 9.

The invitation states, “We’re under strict orders not to reveal the particulars just yet, but we will messenger over the full details to attendees as we approach the date.” It calls Al Baker’s visit “a pivotal announcement.” Other topics the CEO will discuss will include US growth outlook, fleet strategy, Open Skies and the future of commercial travel in the US.

Further copied:

That’s all we know as of now, though of course it won’t stop us aviation geeks from speculating. On one hand this could be complete BS, as Al Baker is well known for his baseless proclamations and puffery. Claiming to “usher in a historic moment in American aviation” sounds huge, though I can’t think of anything which would actually fit that bill.

Realistically, what could Al Baker be announcing in New York? Just some speculation on my part:

Qatar Airways’ first A380 flight to the US, as they presently only fly the A380 to Bangkok, London, and Paris (if they wanted to fly it to New York they’d have to change terminals, though, as Terminal 8 can’t handle A380s)

A joint venture with a US airline, maybe American Airlines; while American has been battling them over OpenSkies, maybe they’ve finally come to their senses and realized they’re better off working on something which could be mutually beneficial

Qatar Airways buying a stake in a US airline, maybe JetBlue, which they already codeshare with extensively; this could make a lot of sense, though given the political rhetoric associated with the “battle” between the US and Gulf carriers, this may not be so popular

It’s all puffery, and they’re reminding people of Qatar Airways’ upcoming expansion to the US, and maybe adding another route or two

A pay per view boxing match between Akbar Al Baker and Richard Anderson; I’d pay 100,000 SkyPesos to see that

So, what do we think?
Old Nov 26, 2015, 4:59 am

Programs: The Embassy
It's going to be Krug-dispensing falcons in the newly built lounge at JFK.
Old Nov 26, 2015, 8:05 am

Programs: CX Green | UA Silver | Marriott Lifetime Platinum | Hyatt Globalist | Hilton Gold | AA EXP
Originally Posted by zebrametalevel
It's going to be Krug-dispensing falcons in the newly built lounge at JFK.
Maybe he should spend a tiny bit more time in making sure his Al-Safwa won't leak when the next rain comes to DOH ...

Originally Posted by msm2000uk
So, what do we think?
It wasn't on the list that came out some time ago but maybe he manage to get pre-clearance for DOH?

Last edited by Rivarix; Nov 26, 2015 at 8:12 am
Old Nov 26, 2015, 8:29 am
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
AA drops relationship with EY and starts a JV with QR?

It is weird for AA to have 2 partners in the same area: one oneWorld and the other one non-oneWorld that competes with the first one... I mean it is good for us - the clients - but weird from business perspective...
Old Nov 26, 2015, 9:37 am

Lucky's "speculation on [his] part" is a summation of the discussions on a.net about this, including pros and cons of each item. He really lost a lot of credibility in my eyes by trying to steal others' ideas without credit.

One thought some have mentioned that I could see is US-EU-DOH flights by EU countries that allow local traffic on the US-EU segments. If that happens, I wouldn't be shocked to see AA reduce their codesharing with QR and increase it with EY, especially with EY (well, Jet Airways) dropping their BRU TATL routes. Not exactly a historical moment, but with AAB it's tough to tell how much he is exaggerating on any one item.
Old Dec 7, 2015, 2:42 pm

While I'm thinking it will be an A350 announcement or possibly a JetBlue hookup, it would not shock me if it was to show off their new 'double bed' business class product that AAB has been talking up for some time, with a possible 2016 route launch date announced as well (possibly in time for the 2nd JFK-DOH flight, hence the NYC announcement location).

If it is, I'd assume the footprint would be similar to the current 777 business class, with the major change being that 2 business class seats can become a double bed. To do so, most of the items in the center of a seat pair (reading light, tray table, remote, etc.) would move to the outer parts of the pair, and the center armrest would be able to collapse down to allow a full bed to be created from the two seats when they are laying flat (with a version of a
'create-a-king' 'create-a-king'
device in the center).

Single travelers wouldn't notice much difference except a new seat, as they wouldn't be using the double bed feature (unless they happen to get along really well with their seatmate! )

With a smidge of creative engineering on the A350, QR could create 3 sets of true 54" wide double beds in a row without drastically modifying the footprint on the 777 (The A350 and A380 footprints would change, obviously, as they are reverse herringbone at the moment).
Old Dec 8, 2015, 6:34 am

Programs: BA GGL, Marriott Platinum Prem (Life Plat), Hilton Diamond, A Club
First A350 to USA apparently
Old Dec 8, 2015, 7:40 am

Programs: EBS, EY Gold Eite, EK Gold, QR Platinum, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by UpperDeckDude
First A350 to USA apparently
...historic moment in American aviation..... a pivotal announcement..? Puff Daddy😂
Old Dec 8, 2015, 8:48 am
Suspended

How is it even going to be the first A350 when AY will start operating the A350 to JFK in January? (originally meant to be December, delayed slightly)
Old Dec 8, 2015, 9:15 am

Programs: BA GGL, Marriott Platinum Prem (Life Plat), Hilton Diamond, A Club
Originally Posted by mpkz
How is it even going to be the first A350 when AY will start operating the A350 to JFK in January? (originally meant to be December, delayed slightly)
Plane is in the air now, approx 3 hours from New York as I type this
Old Dec 8, 2015, 9:41 am

In addition to UpperDeckDude's comment about it being in the air now, AY still lists the A333 through at least the end of February.

My guess is that AAB scheduled this after hearing that AY might get the first scheduled A350 flight to the US in before him, so he did this one day flight type change to ensure he got the 'first' crown.
Old Dec 8, 2015, 9:45 am
Suspended

Is it a permanent change from the 777 or just this one flight?
Old Dec 8, 2015, 9:45 am

Also to add, a.net is mentioning a rumor that QR would IPO a small portion of their ownership on the NYSE - this makes a ton of sense when considering the recent cost cutbacks they've done lately (pajamas/bedding on fewer J flights, wine/champagne downgrades, no more amuse bouche to start the meal, no more leather menu holders, 10 across Y on the 77W, etc. etc.). They are trying to show improvements in their balance sheet.
Old Dec 8, 2015, 9:59 am

Is it a permanent change from the 777 or just this one flight?
The current A350 heading to NY is not even a passenger flight but just a charter carrying QR exec's as QR7451 (as per QR Source). The current B77W which is scheduled to JFK as QR701 is currently flying behind it.

Interesting to see how quick the A350 is, this afternoon it was over Poland the EK201 (A380) with the QR701 (B77W) behind it, now it overtook the EK A380, and the QR701 is behind them all over Newfoundland.

I think the return QR702 maybe flown by the A350 tonight or tomorrow, signaling the first QR scheduled change of A/C on a route at an outstation (wishful thinking as I am contemplating booking a JFK flight for early next month). Or they may just bring forward the launch of the second daily JFK.
Old Dec 8, 2015, 10:19 am

They already announced that the a350 would start flying the PHL-DOH route Jan 1 a while back so I doubt it could be that

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.