Community
Wiki Posts
Search

QPoints and QMiles

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29, 2016, 2:25 am

Programs: QR Platinum, WY Gold, Shangri-la Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by ms101
This may seem like a silly question, but if I buy my flight from British Airways but it is operated by American Airlines, do I earn my Qmiles from BA or AA? According to the Qcalculator, the O fare on AA would earn me approximately 10k miles but the O fare on BA earns only 2.8k miles.

Much thanks!
Not 100% sure in this case, but my recent flight with BA was bought as an IB codeshare from IB (although operated by BA). It posted in my PC account as IB.
Old Mar 29, 2016, 7:05 am

Programs: Qatar PC Priority Pass VIP Marco Polo Asia Miles
Hi new member here,
I was wondering if there are any tips in earning Qpoints fast?

Thanks
Old Mar 29, 2016, 7:34 am

jamesltwx welcome to the QR forum. I hope you will find it a useful travel tool.

In answer to your question the short answer is Fly QR frequently. Qpoints are only awarded for flights and there is no other way to earn them. However you can also earn Qpoints and Qmiles on other OW airlines.

The number of points and miles varies according to journey and booking class, as well as PC Status.
See the miles calculator at https://qmiles.qatarairways.com/ffpo...Calculator.jsf to gain an idea of the numbers.
Old Mar 29, 2016, 8:12 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, QRPC Silver, Hilton Gold, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by purple1addict
Not 100% sure in this case, but my recent flight with BA was bought as an IB codeshare from IB (although operated by BA). It posted in my PC account as IB.
thank you!

can anyone confirm this?
Old Mar 29, 2016, 8:18 am

Programs: QR Plat, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by jamesltwx
Hi new member here,
I was wondering if there are any tips in earning Qpoints fast?

Thanks
Fast and expensive : 3 return flights LHR-DOH-BKK in First class on QR will give you 600 Qpoints and Platinum status

Cheap but not so fast : instead of booking OneWorld direct flights, try to add as many connections as you can (for almost the same price, if routing rules allow it) and you will get more Qpoints than for the direct flight, as usually the shortest is the flight, the more Qpoints per mile you earn. For example, instead of booking a direct LHR-LAX on AA or BA, book LHR-JFK-CLT-DFW-LAX.
Old Mar 29, 2016, 8:30 am

ms101 according to IATA it is the marketing carrier that supplies the T and Cs not the operating carrier. This is especially mentioned for baggage allowance but also applies elsewhere. If the codeshare flight has an IB flight number then IB is the marketing carrier. If it is a BA flight then BA is the marketing carrier.

In keeping with this QR credits miles and points according to the Marketing Carriers rates not the operating carriers.

This is covered somewhere on the IATA website if you wish to confirm it. If you do please tell us the page address.
Old Mar 29, 2016, 11:12 am

Programs: Qatar PC Priority Pass VIP Marco Polo Asia Miles
Originally Posted by Matt4
Fast and expensive : 3 return flights LHR-DOH-BKK in First class on QR will give you 600 Qpoints and Platinum status

Cheap but not so fast : instead of booking OneWorld direct flights, try to add as many connections as you can (for almost the same price, if routing rules allow it) and you will get more Qpoints than for the direct flight, as usually the shortest is the flight, the more Qpoints per mile you earn. For example, instead of booking a direct LHR-LAX on AA or BA, book LHR-JFK-CLT-DFW-LAX.
Thanks for the recommendation!
Old Mar 30, 2016, 7:37 am

They have a up to quadruple qpoints recently, till 15th April
Old Apr 4, 2016, 8:10 am

Programs: OWS, QR Gold, Kris, and a few others
I have 130,000 Qmiles expiring by June of next year. Any recommendations for the best use of them with Qatar or partner airlines flying out of the UK?

I don't mind the class of travel or the destination, but I'd probably need two return tickets.
Old Apr 4, 2016, 9:11 am

Programs: QR Platinum
Originally Posted by Siddiq Hassan
Need Clarification: If I use my qmiles to upgrade my economy flight to business class, will I also get the qpoints that go with business class or will I just receive economy class qpoints?

Thanks.
No, only economy qpoints.
Old Apr 4, 2016, 9:42 am

Originally Posted by Grogg
I have 130,000 Qmiles expiring by June of next year. Any recommendations for the best use of them with Qatar or partner airlines flying out of the UK?

I don't mind the class of travel or the destination, but I'd probably need two return tickets.
Using them to get a pair of economy class award ticket would not be the best use as you will have to pay the taxes anyway.

If I where you, I would buy a pair of cheap eco class ticket to Asia (Thailand, Philippines, Bali, ...) :
- leaving from LHR or from another european city (Paris, Venice, Roma, ...) to avoid UK departure taxes and add a cheap BA ticket between LHR and that departure point, and why not having a few days stopover in that city
- returning to LHR
- and use the Qmiles to upgrade the red eyes flights in each way (35,000 Qmiles per person for DOH-Asia, except HKG, and 30,000 Qmiles per person for DOH-LHR on the way back)

Before booking the flights, check award availability in biz for 2 people on the flights you want to upgrade, to make sure you'll get these upgrades (and call immediatly to secure them as upgrade requests via the website may take a few days before being processed), otherwise, you still will have a chance to get upgrade at airport, just before the flights.

You'll get more value from your Qmiles using them for upgrades and will get additional Qpoints and Qmiles from the eco ticket you bought (if you get an award eco ticket, you will earn nothing).
Old Apr 4, 2016, 11:01 am
Suspended

Using them to get a pair of economy class award ticket would not be the best use as you will have to pay the taxes anyway.

If I where you, I would buy a pair of cheap eco class ticket to Asia (Thailand, Philippines, Bali, ...) :
- leaving from LHR or from another european city (Paris, Venice, Roma, ...) to avoid UK departure taxes and add a cheap BA ticket between LHR and that departure point, and why not having a few days stopover in that city
- returning to LHR
- and use the Qmiles to upgrade the red eyes flights in each way (35,000 Qmiles per person for DOH-Asia, except HKG, and 30,000 Qmiles per person for DOH-LHR on the way back)

Before booking the flights, check award availability in biz for 2 people on the flights you want to upgrade, to make sure you'll get these upgrades (and call immediatly to secure them as upgrade requests via the website may take a few days before being processed), otherwise, you still will have a chance to get upgrade at airport, just before the flights.

You'll get more value from your Qmiles using them for upgrades and will get additional Qpoints and Qmiles from the eco ticket you bought (if you get an award eco ticket, you will earn nothing).
Checking award availbility is really reliable regardings upgrade? I found award availablity on a flight I want to upgrade but QR staff keep on rejecting my request...
Old Apr 4, 2016, 2:39 pm

Originally Posted by Jeff_
Checking award availbility is really reliable regardings upgrade? I found award availablity on a flight I want to upgrade but QR staff keep on rejecting my request...
As award flights and upgrades go to the same fare buckets it should be the same availability. But you should not be mistaken by 2x awards which require doubles Qmiles and indicate that there's no upgrade availability (as there's no 2x upgrade).
Old Apr 4, 2016, 4:12 pm
Suspended

As award flights and upgrades go to the same fare buckets it should be the same availability. But you should not be mistaken by 2x awards which require doubles Qmiles and indicate that there's no upgrade availability (as there's no 2x upgrade).
Yep definitly not a x2. I guess I should insist more...
Old Apr 5, 2016, 12:02 am

Originally Posted by Jeff_
Yep definitly not a x2. I guess I should insist more...
In case of, be aware that married segments rules also apply to awards and if AAA-DOH and DOH-BBB are both available, it doesn't mean you can get an award (and optimize the number of Qmiles required) for AAA-DOH-BBB

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.