Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 5, 2015, 11:11 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: CPH-Flyer
READ BEFORE COMMENTING IF YOU ARE NEW,

Hamad International Airport (HIA) offers passengers a number of different lounges.

This thread, is specifically for the Al Safwa First Class Lounge. Information on the other Lounge options at HIA, can be found here.

Does Al Safwa have a web page?
Yes: http://www.qatarairways.com/global/e...-al-safwa.page

Dining Menu
https://www.qatarairways.com/content...-dining-en.pdf

Where can I find Al Safwa Lounge?
The Lounge is located on Level 3 of the airport.

Can I use the Qatar Airways Al Safwa Lounge?

Access is based on your underlying fare bucket. This means that upgraded tickets, maybe except upgrades with QPoints (see post 2735), are not granted access.

Access is thus restricted to Qatar Airways First Class, and OneWorld First Class passengers :
- either holding a First Class boarding pass* for their next flight
- or holding a First Class boarding pass from their previous flight.

Additionally, Privilege Club platinum club travelling on any business-class fare are welcomed into the lounge. This is a facility introduced recently and one that could just as easily disappear.

- Guests are not permitted.
* Operational Upgrades to First do not give access. Upgrades with Qpoints may do give acces (see post 2735 - Sept 2022)

Arrival access on mid and long haul? (eg. coming from LHR in F)

YES

​​​​​
Ex. CAI-DOH-HEL
Arrival access regional F? (eg. coming from CAI in F)

Yes.
Caveat, if your underlying J fare is P, then the no lounge access for business light kicks in. And there is no access.

Privilege Club Platinum members are currently allowed in the lounge when travelling on any QR business-class fare: that could change. Other Oneworld Emerald members are directed to the Platinum lounge(s) when travelling in any class, and the Al Mourjan lounge when travelling on relevant business-class fares. Yup, it gets complicated.

What does the lounge look like?
Reports on the Lounge, can be found here and here. Photographs of the lounge, can be found here.

Is there a Spa?
Yes, there is a full Spa, but you will have to pay for treatments. A full list of treatments available can be found here

What about the sleeping rooms?
Stargold in http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/28199729-post1177.html suggests that access to sleeping rooms is as follows:
'* No reservations allowed - always first-come first-served
* Only available if the remaining time until the flight departure is more than 4 hours
* Passengers are allowed maximum six hours' usage - for any further usage, a fee of QAR 450 is payable for a second block of six hours.
* No F&B of any kind except bottled water in the sleeping rooms.'

What changes can I expect during Ramadan?
Ramadan affects QR and you in many ways so please look at ramadan to see how you are affected.

Updated: 19/11/2023

Print Wikipost

QR Al Safwa First Class Lounge

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18, 2019, 9:41 am

Programs: Iberia Platinum, Marriott Titanium
I have a similar situation, I’m arriving on Friday night from SEZ in J, and then flying in F to Frankfurt on Sunday at 8am. I’d like to spend the first night in Doha in a hotel, and then check in maybe around 9-10 pm on Saturday and spend the night in the sleeping rooms, anyone knows if it is possible? As I booked both tickets separately, I would need to check my luggage in again (I guess).
Old Jan 19, 2019, 12:04 pm

Programs: JAL JMB SAPPHIRE;Etihad guest Platinum; Hilton HHonors Diamond; IHG Platinum elite
The website for qatar airways really do not stated any clear information on the lounge access and facilities....

Having the flight MCT(F)-DOH(J)-PEN and PEN(J)-DOH(F)-MCT next 2 weeks and wondering do I really able to access if the transit time more than 8 hours.......
Old Jan 19, 2019, 8:47 pm
Marriott Contributor BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by karlwang87
The website for qatar airways really do not stated any clear information on the lounge access and facilities....

Having the flight MCT(F)-DOH(J)-PEN and PEN(J)-DOH(F)-MCT next 2 weeks and wondering do I really able to access if the transit time more than 8 hours.......
You'll have access to Al Safwa on the return itinerary (DOH-MCT), but not the origin (DOH-PEN) regardless of transit time.
karlwang87 likes this.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 3:11 am

Seeking advice to use Al Safwa for overnight stay

Good morning,

I would appreciate your kind advice. I have booked the following flights in Qatar Business Class (paid):

Sun 10 Feb 2019: QR0851 PEN-DOH arriving DOH at 2330
Mon 11 Feb 2019: QR0007 DOH-LHR dpearting DOH at 0840

I know nothing is guaranteed but want to know my chances. I have booked a stay at the airport hotel at around £178 (better rate via Agoda than other channels) but it has a 1-day prior to arrival cancellation policy.

1. What are the chances I can buy access to Al Safwa for an overnight stay?
2. Is the lounge usually packed overnight, and will rooms likely be available?
3. Does the staff frown upon selling access for overnight stays?
4. Will I be able to use the lounge and room for any 6 hours of my choosing (say, from 1am - 7am)?
5. What is the best place to stay overnight in Al Mourjan if Al Safwa is full? Where would one store luggage and how would one set an alarm?

Thank you! :-:
Old Jan 28, 2019, 5:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by simpletastes
I would appreciate your kind advice. I have booked the following flights in Qatar Business Class (paid):

I know nothing is guaranteed but want to know my chances. I have booked a stay at the airport hotel at around £178 (better rate via Agoda than other channels) but it has a 1-day prior to arrival cancellation policy.
That's a good rate. It never occurred to me to check Agoda for the airside hotel.

Chances are good that you can buy access to Al Safwa and stay there overnight.

The lounge is basically never "packed." That said, there are very few sleeping rooms. IMO the chances of getting one are really not predictable; and you certainly cannot count on it. FT reports I've seen tell me that the chances are not that good since there are so few. There are many reports of people not getting one.

You're not buying an "overnight" stay. You're buying access. The access that you, personally, are buying happens to be overnight because of your flight schedule.

4. Will I be able to use the lounge and room for any 6 hours of my choosing (say, from 1am - 7am)?
Al Safwa lounge, yes. Sleeping rooms, it depends on whether or not one is available.

5. What is the best place to stay overnight in Al Mourjan if Al Safwa is full? Where would one store luggage and how would one set an alarm?
Here are the two places I like for sleeping in Al Mourjan. First, just beyond and through the deli you'll find another set of showers and a "quiet" area. There are cubicles here, set off by partitions, not walls. There are no beds, but there are sofas and it's kept relatively dark. One problem here is that one person snoring can be heard by everyone, as I found out one night. The other place is just in front and to the right of the lockers (as you're facing the glass door to the locker area) are some relaxing chairs/lounges. I have slept here on occasion, but they are not in a walled off room, and the lights are not dimmed. You can store your stuff in the locker area right there.

Alarm? Best bet is to use your phone, I would imagine. Staff is not going to wake you up.
simpletastes and jcrugger like this.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 5:35 am

Thank you Dr HFH!
Old Jan 28, 2019, 5:48 am
Suspended

Programs: HHonors Diamond, AA EXP
Good morning,

Get a proper bed , it would take less than 10minutes at that hour to get in an and out of city. Plenty of good and cheap choices.
simpletastes likes this.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 6:10 am

That's a great idea too - to look for a place nearby but outside the airport.

When buying Al-Safwa access will they be able to confirm room availability first? I was hoping that I would check Al-Safwa first and if there are no rooms available (or if they refuse to sell me access), then I can book a hotel at that time.

Thanks again everyone
Old Jan 28, 2019, 6:49 am

Programs: EC Silver FC Silver
Just beware of booking a hotel outside the airport for this layover - some people get denied entry on the grounds of not enough time between flights (<8hrs):
Got denied entry to Doha

So any delays to your first leg could see the hotel booking go to waste. That said, it won't cost much so not a huge risk - they are cheaper and nicer than the airside hotel. Certainly better than booking 2 rooms at the airside hotel and forgetting them (yes, I have been that silly).

The airside hotel tends to get expensive and/or fully booked closer to the date of travel. I would only book it again if I was travelling with my better-half / family. Otherwise I would follow Dr HFH's advice - with one addition being the cubicals to the rightmost of the Al Mourjan lounge entrance, they have phychiatrist style loungers, not very wide, but I could easily get a few hours sleep there.

As for asking the first class lounge agent to confirm the availability of rooms, I'm not sure what response this will get but no harm trying. For the most part the QR service is friendly but rigid, the sleeping rooms might be managed on a sheet of paper. For example in Al Mourjan there are two shower areas managed on paper, if you ask the attendants whether there is a queue for the other shower area, they will likely tell you to take a walk (quite literally, to check for yourself). The broad consensus seems to be that the Al Safwa lounge is worth the paid upgrade regardless of the availability of sleeping rooms.
simpletastes likes this.

Last edited by citytom; Jan 28, 2019 at 6:59 am
Old Jan 28, 2019, 9:39 am

Lovely, thank you for your thoughts.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 3:35 pm

Programs: BA: GOLD, MARRIOTT: TITANIUM, IHG: PLAT, HILTON: GOLD
Good morning,

i am lucky enough to have visited Al Safwa twice in the past week, both paid visits. On the first I was asked almost immediately if I’d like a sleeping room, on the second visit I headed straight for the restaurant ordered and then headed toward the spa area to check on rooms, half way there the attended from the spa gave me the nod she had a room for me. I’m not sure how many rooms there are but in my last visit (2am) there was one other person in residence. I think your chances of a room are 100%. The rooms are just like nice hotel rooms without a window.

The restaurant changes from full menu to breakfast at 4am, not sure when it changes back. The lounge is very quiet, maybe too quiet except for the 90 minutes twice a day for the banks but even then the lounge was still quiet.

The one one piece of advice I will give is that I think they prefer you to go to Al Mourjan first, request access then go to Al Safwa, this gives them time to ask the supervisor and get the payment machine before you arrive.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 2:11 am

I am most grateful.
I booked my business class Qatar operated flights with AMEX Travel and they have BA flight numbers. Has anyone had success upgrading to Al Safwa in such a situation?
Old Jan 30, 2019, 1:32 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, BA Executive, AMEX MR
Accessing First Class Lounge at DOH

Hi everyone, new member of the forum here. The critics over at r/Awardtravel on reddit suggested I'm nuts and should come here with my fellow plane geeks. So. HI!

Quick questions:

I am travelling with my wife to Bali in May. We're coming home via DOH and LHR. The DPS to DOH flight is in business (not Q suite yet but here's hopin') and then DOH to LHR is also business (Q suite). Anyways, I swapped an F award ticket on BA for the J award ticket on Qatar to try the Q Suite but I've realized I probably lost our first class lounge access.

Is there any way to upgrade to access the first class lounge at DOH and still maintain my Q Suite seat? I have another 45,000 Avios points in the bank if that's helpful at all.

Thanks in advance.
Old Feb 1, 2019, 8:11 am

I'm a newbie myself but this thread that you've posted on (or to which your message has been moved to) may have your answers.

Also this thread might be useful:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qatar-airways-privilege-club/1949785-full-fare-business-passengers-can-pay-al-sawfa-access-5.html

You can buy access (if space is available) if you paid for your business class ticket, but it is not clear whether this is allowed for award tickets.
Old Feb 1, 2019, 8:13 am

Programs: Aeroplan, BA Executive, AMEX MR
Thank you!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.