Old Nov 5, 2015, 11:11 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: CPH-Flyer
READ BEFORE COMMENTING IF YOU ARE NEW,

Hamad International Airport (HIA) offers passengers a number of different lounges.

This thread, is specifically for the Al Safwa First Class Lounge. Information on the other Lounge options at HIA, can be found here.

Does Al Safwa have a web page?
Yes: http://www.qatarairways.com/global/e...-al-safwa.page

Dining Menu
https://www.qatarairways.com/content...-dining-en.pdf

Where can I find Al Safwa Lounge?
The Lounge is located on Level 3 of the airport.

Can I use the Qatar Airways Al Safwa Lounge?

Access is based on your underlying fare bucket. This means that upgraded tickets, maybe except upgrades with QPoints (see post 2735), are not granted access.

Access is thus restricted to Qatar Airways First Class, and OneWorld First Class passengers :
- either holding a First Class boarding pass* for their next flight
- or holding a First Class boarding pass from their previous flight.

Additionally, Privilege Club platinum club travelling on any business-class fare are welcomed into the lounge. This is a facility introduced recently and one that could just as easily disappear.

- Guests are not permitted.
* Operational Upgrades to First do not give access. Upgrades with Qpoints may do give acces (see post 2735 - Sept 2022)

Arrival access on mid and long haul? (eg. coming from LHR in F)

YES

​​​​​
Ex. CAI-DOH-HEL
Arrival access regional F? (eg. coming from CAI in F)

Yes.
Caveat, if your underlying J fare is P, then the no lounge access for business light kicks in. And there is no access.

Privilege Club Platinum members are currently allowed in the lounge when travelling on any QR business-class fare: that could change. Other Oneworld Emerald members are directed to the Platinum lounge(s) when travelling in any class, and the Al Mourjan lounge when travelling on relevant business-class fares. Yup, it gets complicated.

What does the lounge look like?
Reports on the Lounge, can be found here and here. Photographs of the lounge, can be found here.

Is there a Spa?
Yes, there is a full Spa, but you will have to pay for treatments. A full list of treatments available can be found here

What about the sleeping rooms?
Stargold in http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/28199729-post1177.html suggests that access to sleeping rooms is as follows:
'* No reservations allowed - always first-come first-served
* Only available if the remaining time until the flight departure is more than 4 hours
* Passengers are allowed maximum six hours' usage - for any further usage, a fee of QAR 450 is payable for a second block of six hours.
* No F&B of any kind except bottled water in the sleeping rooms.'

What changes can I expect during Ramadan?
Ramadan affects QR and you in many ways so please look at ramadan to see how you are affected.

Updated: 19/11/2023

Print Wikipost

QR Al Safwa First Class Lounge

Old Nov 14, 2018, 2:47 pm

Programs: AA Exp
Originally Posted by makrom
Not 100% sure, but access right is generally limited to the day of departure.
Hopefully that is not (completely) true. What if your flights arrives at 8 PM and your connection departs one minute after midnight?

I was actually planning on arriving by plane around 10 PM in Doha, sleep in the lounge and connect the next morning at 8 AM, I assumed that was permitted?

Old Nov 14, 2018, 3:48 pm

I cannot answer for today but in 2016 I flew DXB DOH BKK A380 F Arrived at the Al Safwa 11pm and was in the Al safawa till my connecting flight the next day till 8pm, the rules may or may not have changed since.
Old Nov 14, 2018, 5:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by gnargel
Hopefully that is not (completely) true. What if your flights arrives at 8 PM and your connection departs one minute after midnight?
You will have no problem accessing Al Safwa.

I was actually planning on arriving by plane around 10 PM in Doha, sleep in the lounge and connect the next morning at 8 AM, I assumed that was permitted?
I'm fairly certain that it is. If you're planning to use one of the sleeping rooms, don't forget about the six hour limit.
gnargel likes this.
Old Nov 15, 2018, 2:03 am

Programs: qatar airways platinum
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
You will have no problem accessing Al Safwa.

I'm fairly certain that it is. If you're planning to use one of the sleeping rooms, don't forget about the six hour limit.
From my experiences, it is only the sleeping rooms they are strict on re limits.
Old Nov 15, 2018, 2:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by celtic_warrior
From my experiences, it is only the sleeping rooms they are strict on re limits.
Yes, that's what I was talking about. Sorry if I wasn't clear.
Old Nov 15, 2018, 2:43 am

Programs: qatar airways platinum
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
Yes, that's what I was talking about. Sorry if I wasn't clear.
You were clear, I was backing up your post.

Sorry the other thing they enforce is entry eligibility.

As an aside when is the big announcement coming on the reported new rules?
Old Nov 15, 2018, 10:15 am

By same day in this context I didn't mean 12 a.m. on the dot. Given that DOH has 24h operation, I am not quite sure how exactly this rule is applied though. What I do know is that if you arrive in the afternoon and have a departure the next day around noon, it doesn't work. If you arrive in the early morning and have a late night departure, it does work.
Old Nov 18, 2018, 9:34 pm

Another data point from 2016.

Arrived in F from CDG around 11pm. Next flight was to DXB at 1pm. Was able to stay inside Al Safwa without issues.

Not sure if rules have changed,
Old Nov 19, 2018, 1:45 pm
R2

It's around midnite local time here in AS, there are a grand total of two other guests here in this relatively large lounge. Some 20 staff members standing around having absolutely nothing to do. Does it have an exclusive feel, yes...is it a bit weird and boring, also yes.
Traveller999 likes this.
Old Nov 20, 2018, 2:56 am

Originally Posted by R2
It's around midnite local time here in AS, there are a grand total of two other guests here in this relatively large lounge. Some 20 staff members standing around having absolutely nothing to do. Does it have an exclusive feel, yes...is it a bit weird and boring, also yes.
Is it an extreme waste of ressources? Also yes. But then again, I am no airline executive, so I might just lack the insight to understand the greater good.
Old Nov 20, 2018, 4:52 am

Programs: FLYINGBLUE Gold QRPC Gold OMAN SINDBAD Gold
Originally Posted by R2
Yes that is exactly the reason why i prefer Al Mourjan to Al Safwa....
Old Nov 20, 2018, 5:07 am

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by Alfredbali
Yes that is exactly the reason why i prefer Al Mourjan to Al Safwa....
I love the peace and quiet of Al Safwa. The idea that someone would prefer Al Mourjan particularly at hectic peak times when finding a seat can be challenging is strange to me, but everyone has different tastes!

I would probably argue that QR have taken it slightly too far in terms of exclusivity by e.g. excluding paid upgrades from J to F, but admitting masses more people like any standard Oneworld F lounge would probably be the final nail in the coffin for paying for F on the A380 to me. The staff also are quite good at remembering regular customers as a result of the small numbers (I got asked 'aren't you normally in Al Safwa?' in Al Mourjan the other day by one of the staff members I normally chat to!).
Old Nov 20, 2018, 5:33 am

Programs: Qatar Airways Gold, Singapore air Kris flyer,Emirates Silver, Etihad Gold
Are there any special menus for the new year's eve? I will be in the lounge on the 31st of December so wondering if they will have special dishes or deserts.
Old Nov 20, 2018, 5:53 am

Programs: QR Plat, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by tokyolyon
Are there any special menus for the new year's eve? I will be in the lounge on the 31st of December so wondering if they will have special dishes or deserts.
I don’t know but for sure you will get free Champagne ;-)
Old Nov 20, 2018, 5:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lost_in_translation
I love the peace and quiet of Al Safwa. The idea that someone would prefer Al Mourjan particularly at hectic peak times when finding a seat can be challenging is strange to me, but everyone has different tastes!
Me, too. It's the relative peace and quiet of airline lounges (at least compared to any gate area) that I find most attractive about them. The fewer people, the better, for me.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.