Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 5, 2015, 11:11 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: CPH-Flyer
READ BEFORE COMMENTING IF YOU ARE NEW,

Hamad International Airport (HIA) offers passengers a number of different lounges.

This thread, is specifically for the Al Safwa First Class Lounge. Information on the other Lounge options at HIA, can be found here.

Does Al Safwa have a web page?
Yes: http://www.qatarairways.com/global/e...-al-safwa.page

Dining Menu
https://www.qatarairways.com/content...-dining-en.pdf

Where can I find Al Safwa Lounge?
The Lounge is located on Level 3 of the airport.

Can I use the Qatar Airways Al Safwa Lounge?

Access is based on your underlying fare bucket. This means that upgraded tickets, maybe except upgrades with QPoints (see post 2735), are not granted access.

Access is thus restricted to Qatar Airways First Class, and OneWorld First Class passengers :
- either holding a First Class boarding pass* for their next flight
- or holding a First Class boarding pass from their previous flight.

Additionally, Privilege Club platinum club travelling on any business-class fare are welcomed into the lounge. This is a facility introduced recently and one that could just as easily disappear.

- Guests are not permitted.
* Operational Upgrades to First do not give access. Upgrades with Qpoints may do give acces (see post 2735 - Sept 2022)

Arrival access on mid and long haul? (eg. coming from LHR in F)

YES

​​​​​
Ex. CAI-DOH-HEL
Arrival access regional F? (eg. coming from CAI in F)

Yes.
Caveat, if your underlying J fare is P, then the no lounge access for business light kicks in. And there is no access.

Privilege Club Platinum members are currently allowed in the lounge when travelling on any QR business-class fare: that could change. Other Oneworld Emerald members are directed to the Platinum lounge(s) when travelling in any class, and the Al Mourjan lounge when travelling on relevant business-class fares. Yup, it gets complicated.

What does the lounge look like?
Reports on the Lounge, can be found here and here. Photographs of the lounge, can be found here.

Is there a Spa?
Yes, there is a full Spa, but you will have to pay for treatments. A full list of treatments available can be found here

What about the sleeping rooms?
Stargold in http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/28199729-post1177.html suggests that access to sleeping rooms is as follows:
'* No reservations allowed - always first-come first-served
* Only available if the remaining time until the flight departure is more than 4 hours
* Passengers are allowed maximum six hours' usage - for any further usage, a fee of QAR 450 is payable for a second block of six hours.
* No F&B of any kind except bottled water in the sleeping rooms.'

What changes can I expect during Ramadan?
Ramadan affects QR and you in many ways so please look at ramadan to see how you are affected.

Updated: 19/11/2023

Print Wikipost

QR Al Safwa First Class Lounge

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25, 2017, 8:54 am

JohnRain if you are departing in F you have unlimited access to Al Safwa. The eight hour rule only applied if you are arriving in longhaul F and departing in J, or Y.
Old Apr 25, 2017, 8:57 am

Programs: Disillusioned Cent
Originally Posted by GTR56
Having an onward BP that is F (not including operational upgrades) gives you access to Al Safwa.
Originally Posted by remdk
JohnRain if you are departing in F you have unlimited access to Al Safwa. The eight hour rule only applied if you are arriving in longhaul F and departing in J, or Y.
Thanks for your replies, GTR56 & remdk, much appreciated... ^
Old Apr 25, 2017, 5:47 pm

Programs: QFF, AA, LM, EY
Guys are the dining areas of Al-Safwa open 24 hours ?

I have a transit coming up for 12+ hours arriving 00:30 from BKK and departing to MCT at 13:50.

Thinking of grabbing a bite first before hitting the sleeping rooms.

Cheers
Old Apr 26, 2017, 7:42 am

Programs: AS 100k, BA GGL, UA 1k, DL DM, AC SE, B6 Mosaic4, Hyatt/Hilton/Wyndham/IHG Diamond, Marriot Ti
Delete

Last edited by TalkingPoint; Jun 5, 2017 at 11:46 am
Old Apr 26, 2017, 7:44 am

Programs: Disillusioned Cent
Originally Posted by fauxreals
I booked an award on Qatar using AA miles. It is business class from LAX-DOH-DXB. It looks like DOH-DXB only has two classes so I would have an F boarding pass I think. Does this qualify for Al Safwa lounge access?
Yes. QR calls it Regional First. It's essentially a J experience but with Al Safwa access.
Old Apr 26, 2017, 8:10 am

fauxreals welcome to the QR forum.

The rules for access to Al Safwa are quite simple.
You have access if:
1) You hold an F boarding pass departing DOH - no matter if it is shorthaul or longhaul F, OR
2) you hold an incoming F boarding pass for a flight over five hours and your connection time (In J or Y) is under 8 hours.
3) Op-ups re not accepted.

With the exception of operational upgrades it does not matter how you obtained your boarding pass.
AnaTravel likes this.
Old May 1, 2017, 7:13 am

Programs: Qatar Airways Privilege Club Platinum
Hi All, quick question : next week will be my first Safwa experience (which I am super looking forward to!) and I have an F boarding pass originating in Doha, how early can I check in ?
Old May 1, 2017, 7:48 am

Upgrade Me 2017 QR has a standard check-in time of three hours prior tp departure.
BUT 1) this is their home station and
2) you are trvelling in F. You should be able to check-in some hours earlier because you are travelling in F. How long before departure is not certain. Some have done so up to eight hours before departure, others much less.

Your major problem is to obtain your boarding pass. You can do this by using OnLine Check-In (OLCI) up to 48 hours before departure. If you have your boarding pass you can bypass the time limitations of check-in and go directly to Bag drop, immigration, security etc. Thus you circumvent the check-in time rules.
Old May 1, 2017, 8:38 am

Programs: Qatar Airways Privilege Club Platinum
Originally Posted by remdk
Upgrade Me 2017 QR has a standard check-in time of three hours prior tp departure.
BUT 1) this is their home station and
2) you are trvelling in F. You should be able to check-in some hours earlier because you are travelling in F. How long before departure is not certain. Some have done so up to eight hours before departure, others much less.

Your major problem is to obtain your boarding pass. You can do this by using OnLine Check-In (OLCI) up to 48 hours before departure. If you have your boarding pass you can bypass the time limitations of check-in and go directly to Bag drop, immigration, security etc. Thus you circumvent the check-in time rules.
Brilliant, thanks as always remdk! I think 4 hours should do nicely, sadly no Krug anymore but looking forward to exploring what else is on offer.
Old May 3, 2017, 4:22 pm

Just arrived on QR833 with a schedule arrival time of 12:05 in F and connecting in J on QR003 at 07:45. No question asked when I presented the boarding pass, both the used F and the unused J to the man guarding the escalator and no questions asked at the reception at the top of the escalator. Again no question ask getting my sleeping room, no. 7 single room with a very comfy bed and the receptionist held on to my J boarding pass while I'm using the room.

I have set the alarm and will explore the food and drinks when i wake up. Thank you remdk for your reassurance that I can use the lounge!
AnaTravel likes this.
Old May 3, 2017, 9:10 pm

Champagne in the lounge today is La Grande Dame.
Old May 29, 2017, 7:32 am

Programs: IC Amb :-(, UA silver, BA Gold, SPG Plat, A-Club Plat, Marriott Plat
Just how early (before a flight) can one use the al Safwa lounge?

I'm in a similar place to AlexMC in post 483

In that my inbound flight lands late, departure (in my case on separate ticket in F connecting to EY F in AUH) leaves early in the AM and I have about 30 hours in DOH.

Had planned to use the airport hotel, but now realise that I could perhaps use an Al Safwa sleeping room for the over night(s), as well as perhaps taking the DOH tour, and therefore take up a significant portion of my layover.

Does Al Safwa have rules to only allow people enter on the day of travel or within 24 hours?

Also
  • Assuming I use OLCI, will a boarding pass be 'spat out' at t-48 which should theoretically grant access to Al Safwa at that point or does one need to wait until closer-in to get a BP?
  • I am not sure whether/when I will definitely be able to get a boarding pass for my next flight - Will I even be able to stay airside or would I be forced to go landside unless I can produce an onward BP? does QR permit OLCI for all destination?
  • If I leave the airport to do the City Tour, and it is still a long time before my departure upon my return to the airport (over 12 hours) will I be allowed back into the airport?
  • Can I (I presume yes but wanted to confirm) Lounge-Hop in HIA ? (The 'normal' OWE rules do not seem to apply so I thought it was worth verifying that I would be allowed to have a look around El Mourjan also despite having used El Safwa - or even have a look at the 'First and Business' lounges used by OW pax to see what they are like?)
  • Anything else to do to pass the time in HIA?

apologies for the newbie questions
Old May 29, 2017, 8:52 am

catharsis
1) Boarding Passes:
There are several possible ways to get your boarding passes. Some of which are:_
a) OLCI opens 48 hours prior to your first flight and you can obtain all boarding passes for the flights for your outward/inward journey for that reservation. My understanding is that you cannot usually check into a flight more than 72 hours in advance so you cannot use OLCI for the combination of flights.
b) At your origin airport they will check you in for the same flights PLUS the DOH-AUH flight.
c) At the transfer desk in DOH you can check-in for DOH-AUH.

These may be combined as you wish. So by the time you reach transit security at DOH you will have your onward boarding pass.

2) You can use Al Safwa whenever you have a valid First class boarding pass departing DOH. There is no time limit.

3) With regard to sleeping rooms please see the 'What about the sleeping rooms?' section of the Wiki on this thread.

4) You do not qualify for STPC http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qatar...l#post28311985 or the QR free stopover summer promotion http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qatar...on-2017-a.html. But you may qualify for a Visa on arrival. See https://www.moi.gov.qa/site/english/...748/748.html#2

5) Take a look at the http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qatar...h-airport.html thread for further hints, things to do etc.

6) Finally please remember that you will not have access to your checked baggage so have everything you will need in your hand luggage.
Old May 29, 2017, 9:28 am

Programs: IC Amb :-(, UA silver, BA Gold, SPG Plat, A-Club Plat, Marriott Plat
Thanks

Thanks remdk for the detailed and specific response. I did not expect to be able to use the transit desk to check in so far I'd advance but it seems that LONG layovers are more normal in the ME3 hubs.

Great to get confirmation that there is no max time before flight to use the lounge.

Thanks for the help.
Old May 29, 2017, 9:32 am

Programs: JJ OW Emerald, TK*G, O6*G, Smiles Diamond, IC Amb, Le Club Platinum, former LH SEN (miss it!)
Originally Posted by catharsis
I'm in a similar place to AlexMC in post 483

In that my inbound flight lands late, departure (in my case on separate ticket in F connecting to EY F in AUH) leaves early in the AM and I have about 30 hours in DOH.

Had planned to use the airport hotel, but now realise that I could perhaps use an Al Safwa sleeping room for the over night(s), as well as perhaps taking the DOH tour, and therefore take up a significant portion of my layover.

Does Al Safwa have rules to only allow people enter on the day of travel or within 24 hours?

Also
  • Assuming I use OLCI, will a boarding pass be 'spat out' at t-48 which should theoretically grant access to Al Safwa at that point or does one need to wait until closer-in to get a BP?
  • I am not sure whether/when I will definitely be able to get a boarding pass for my next flight - Will I even be able to stay airside or would I be forced to go landside unless I can produce an onward BP? does QR permit OLCI for all destination?
  • If I leave the airport to do the City Tour, and it is still a long time before my departure upon my return to the airport (over 12 hours) will I be allowed back into the airport?
  • Can I (I presume yes but wanted to confirm) Lounge-Hop in HIA ? (The 'normal' OWE rules do not seem to apply so I thought it was worth verifying that I would be allowed to have a look around El Mourjan also despite having used El Safwa - or even have a look at the 'First and Business' lounges used by OW pax to see what they are like?)
  • Anything else to do to pass the time in HIA?

apologies for the newbie questions
Maybe I can tell you a bit my own experience? Although it seems that the rules for access of Al Safwa have changed a bit since then, so please re-confirm my infos about it.

We landed form BKK close to mid-night and were received on plane's door by two different agents, given we had two reservations. Ground services on arrival were really exceptional, including the presentation for the relevant authorities of travel documents. Please note we picked our luggage and still didn't had the check-in for the next flight to CDG in QR F.

I had a reservation at Intercontinental Doha The City for that night. It was a nice stay and I could spend the day around Doha's main attractions - which I enjoyed a lot and recommend, specially the Islamic Art Museum - with no rush. As an Ambassador member of IHG rewards program, the hotel was extra-gentle to us to conceive a very late check-out, so we headed back to DOH around 8 pm.

We were checked in and luggage were dispatched to CDG. On arrival at Al Sawfa, we were given a key for a double room of two beds. We had dinner, visited the lounge and also toured a bit around the airport, including a visit to Al Mourjan. We set the clocks to wake us up around 4 am (coming from Thailand time zone helps a bit on that), had breakfast and only then left the sleeping room, heading to the gate after that.

I would definitely recommend a proper visit to DOH and one night in a city's hotel immediately after arrival, as I did. Note that I stayed at Al Sawfa for around 12 hours. Even for such a stunning and impressive lounge (and airport, in a way), I wouldn't stay for longer than that.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.