Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 5, 2015, 11:11 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: CPH-Flyer
READ BEFORE COMMENTING IF YOU ARE NEW,

Hamad International Airport (HIA) offers passengers a number of different lounges.

This thread, is specifically for the Al Safwa First Class Lounge. Information on the other Lounge options at HIA, can be found here.

Does Al Safwa have a web page?
Yes: http://www.qatarairways.com/global/e...-al-safwa.page

Dining Menu
https://www.qatarairways.com/content...-dining-en.pdf

Where can I find Al Safwa Lounge?
The Lounge is located on Level 3 of the airport.

Can I use the Qatar Airways Al Safwa Lounge?

Access is based on your underlying fare bucket. This means that upgraded tickets, maybe except upgrades with QPoints (see post 2735), are not granted access.

Access is thus restricted to Qatar Airways First Class, and OneWorld First Class passengers :
- either holding a First Class boarding pass* for their next flight
- or holding a First Class boarding pass from their previous flight.

Additionally, Privilege Club platinum club travelling on any business-class fare are welcomed into the lounge. This is a facility introduced recently and one that could just as easily disappear.

- Guests are not permitted.
* Operational Upgrades to First do not give access. Upgrades with Qpoints may do give acces (see post 2735 - Sept 2022)

Arrival access on mid and long haul? (eg. coming from LHR in F)

YES

​​​​​
Ex. CAI-DOH-HEL
Arrival access regional F? (eg. coming from CAI in F)

Yes.
Caveat, if your underlying J fare is P, then the no lounge access for business light kicks in. And there is no access.

Privilege Club Platinum members are currently allowed in the lounge when travelling on any QR business-class fare: that could change. Other Oneworld Emerald members are directed to the Platinum lounge(s) when travelling in any class, and the Al Mourjan lounge when travelling on relevant business-class fares. Yup, it gets complicated.

What does the lounge look like?
Reports on the Lounge, can be found here and here. Photographs of the lounge, can be found here.

Is there a Spa?
Yes, there is a full Spa, but you will have to pay for treatments. A full list of treatments available can be found here

What about the sleeping rooms?
Stargold in http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/28199729-post1177.html suggests that access to sleeping rooms is as follows:
'* No reservations allowed - always first-come first-served
* Only available if the remaining time until the flight departure is more than 4 hours
* Passengers are allowed maximum six hours' usage - for any further usage, a fee of QAR 450 is payable for a second block of six hours.
* No F&B of any kind except bottled water in the sleeping rooms.'

What changes can I expect during Ramadan?
Ramadan affects QR and you in many ways so please look at ramadan to see how you are affected.

Updated: 19/11/2023

Print Wikipost

QR Al Safwa First Class Lounge

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7, 2017, 5:40 am

Originally Posted by michi78
Can not agree more. I was in Al-Safwa waiting for my QR 1303 flight bound to CAI and found both food and service way below expectaions (maybe it's the matter of the time, morning offerings usually are not very interesting)
I had 4AM dinner with the wife alone in the entire restaurant and at 8am breakfast - both were totally mediocre. Worst eggs Benedict ever
Old Mar 7, 2017, 6:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by mlqsko
I had 4AM dinner with the wife alone in the entire restaurant and at 8am breakfast - both were totally mediocre. Worst eggs Benedict ever
Not sure what you'd expect from Eggs Benedict from an kitchen in an islamic country. It's not a dish within their canon. Brave attempts with turkey bacon aren't always happy approximations.

I wonder if the three hour gap between your meals blunted your appetite and your tolerance for approximations ...
Old Mar 7, 2017, 6:55 am

Originally Posted by IAN-UK
Not sure what you'd expect from Eggs Benedict from an kitchen in an islamic country. It's not a dish within their canon. Brave attempts with turkey bacon aren't always happy approximations.

I wonder if the three hour gap between your meals blunted your appetite and your tolerance for approximations ...
So they should be only good at making hummus?

It is a first class lounge. FIRST.CLASS.
Old Mar 7, 2017, 7:02 am

The quality of catering certainly stands at sharp contrast to the offerings at EK and EY F lounges in DXB/AUH. It is by far the worst amongst the ME3.

But then again, I thought the EY F lounge was overall pretty average, and there wasn't any "wow" factor like you get when you step into Al Safwa. Same with the EK F lounge - just too big to have any feeling of exclusivity. For my personal tastes, Al Safwa has the best hard product. Just a shame about the quality of food.
Old Mar 7, 2017, 7:30 am

Programs: AA EXP, A3 Gold
It really is such a shame. Al Safwa and Al Mourjan are both stunning, but their catering is average best.
Old Mar 7, 2017, 11:34 am

Programs: Qatar Airways Privilege Club Platinum; Accor Le Club Platinum
When was the last time they offered the seared scallops?
Old Mar 7, 2017, 2:25 pm

Originally Posted by justforfun
It really is such a shame. Al Safwa and Al Mourjan are both stunning, but their catering is average best.
It's strange, since their onboard catering is so good.
Old Mar 7, 2017, 2:58 pm

Why is the beautiful wine case tower thing facing the kitchen? Anyone else notice this?
Old Mar 7, 2017, 5:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That's being silly. A principal ingredient of the classic Eggs Benedict is generally unavailable in Qatar, and certainly not available in the airport kitchens.

So while I'd give full marks for effort, I think I'd order the dish only as a novelty.

is a first class lounge. FIRST.CLASS.
with TURKEY.BACON
Old Mar 7, 2017, 7:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
The could make the Eggs Benedict with smoked salmon instead of ham. A classic and commonly available dish by itself.
Old Mar 7, 2017, 7:47 pm

Programs: QFF, AA, LM, EY
Guys is 5-6am a busy time at Al-Safwa ? What are my chances like to get a room ?
Also are there rooms with queen/double beds ?

Arriving at 5:05 from SYD before taking a 14:05 to MCT, hoping to arrive in Muscat well rested
Old Mar 7, 2017, 9:32 pm

with TURKEY.BACON
If you think the meat makes a good Eggs Benedict, I give up.

Originally Posted by Nizar
Guys is 5-6am a busy time at Al-Safwa ? What are my chances like to get a room ?
Also are there rooms with queen/double beds ?

Arriving at 5:05 from SYD before taking a 14:05 to MCT, hoping to arrive in Muscat well rested
It was empty at 04am-wish when I arrived from ADL. Just me and wife in the lounge and was able to get a double bed room for 4 hours. They don't do queens, but single and double bed rooms.
Old Mar 7, 2017, 10:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
The could make the Eggs Benedict with smoked salmon instead of ham. A classic and commonly available dish by itself.
Now that would be an excellent idea to jot down in the restaurant's suggestion book (no, I've never seen one: figuratively speaking).

I think I've seen the dish referred to as Eggs Royale. I assemble an ersatz version with toast, smoked salmon and scrambled eggs in hotel breakfasts: the only thing that drags me away from my boring, everyday, tea and toast.
Old Mar 7, 2017, 11:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Now that would be an excellent idea to jot down in the restaurant's suggestion book (no, I've never seen one: figuratively speaking).

I think I've seen the dish referred to as Eggs Royale. I assemble an ersatz version with toast, smoked salmon and scrambled eggs in hotel breakfasts: the only thing that drags me away from my boring, everyday, tea and toast.
Yes, that's exactly it: Eggs Royale. I just couldn't remember the name. One of the problems I have spending most of my time in Thailand is that over here, they don't seem to put any lemon juice in the hollandaise.

I just grab some smoked salmon off the buffet and take it to the egg station and ask them for the Bennies but with the salmon instead of ham. Yummmm!!
Old Mar 8, 2017, 12:25 am

Location: usually somewhere between 30000 and 40000 feet...but actually the English countryside
Programs: BA GGL/Lifetime Gold, EK Gold, Lowly M&M, Marriott tit, Hhonors Diamond, numerous others
Access question

Go easy on me if its obvious to you guys, but I cant readily figure out if I will have access or not based on the below?

LHR - DOH in J (7 hours or so) connecting onto KRT (4 hours or so) in F?

I think I do (and would like to try it) but would like to avoid the "walk of shame" if possible!

ps - Im not into eggs so wouldn't be able to contribute to the last 10 posts or so

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.