Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 5, 2015, 11:11 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: CPH-Flyer
READ BEFORE COMMENTING IF YOU ARE NEW,

Hamad International Airport (HIA) offers passengers a number of different lounges.

This thread, is specifically for the Al Safwa First Class Lounge. Information on the other Lounge options at HIA, can be found here.

Does Al Safwa have a web page?
Yes: http://www.qatarairways.com/global/e...-al-safwa.page

Dining Menu
https://www.qatarairways.com/content...-dining-en.pdf

Where can I find Al Safwa Lounge?
The Lounge is located on Level 3 of the airport.

Can I use the Qatar Airways Al Safwa Lounge?

Access is based on your underlying fare bucket. This means that upgraded tickets, maybe except upgrades with QPoints (see post 2735), are not granted access.

Access is thus restricted to Qatar Airways First Class, and OneWorld First Class passengers :
- either holding a First Class boarding pass* for their next flight
- or holding a First Class boarding pass from their previous flight.

Additionally, Privilege Club platinum club travelling on any business-class fare are welcomed into the lounge. This is a facility introduced recently and one that could just as easily disappear.

- Guests are not permitted.
* Operational Upgrades to First do not give access. Upgrades with Qpoints may do give acces (see post 2735 - Sept 2022)

Arrival access on mid and long haul? (eg. coming from LHR in F)

YES

​​​​​
Ex. CAI-DOH-HEL
Arrival access regional F? (eg. coming from CAI in F)

Yes.
Caveat, if your underlying J fare is P, then the no lounge access for business light kicks in. And there is no access.

Privilege Club Platinum members are currently allowed in the lounge when travelling on any QR business-class fare: that could change. Other Oneworld Emerald members are directed to the Platinum lounge(s) when travelling in any class, and the Al Mourjan lounge when travelling on relevant business-class fares. Yup, it gets complicated.

What does the lounge look like?
Reports on the Lounge, can be found here and here. Photographs of the lounge, can be found here.

Is there a Spa?
Yes, there is a full Spa, but you will have to pay for treatments. A full list of treatments available can be found here

What about the sleeping rooms?
Stargold in http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/28199729-post1177.html suggests that access to sleeping rooms is as follows:
'* No reservations allowed - always first-come first-served
* Only available if the remaining time until the flight departure is more than 4 hours
* Passengers are allowed maximum six hours' usage - for any further usage, a fee of QAR 450 is payable for a second block of six hours.
* No F&B of any kind except bottled water in the sleeping rooms.'

What changes can I expect during Ramadan?
Ramadan affects QR and you in many ways so please look at ramadan to see how you are affected.

Updated: 19/11/2023

Print Wikipost

QR Al Safwa First Class Lounge

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26, 2017, 8:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by fauxreals
If I book a business class ticket on BA from DOH-DXB would that entitle me to access? I heard that flights within gulf countries in biz count as F?
You're probably thinking of QR selling only two class services, Y and F, on regional services. The first-class passengers are accommodated in the (normally) business-class cabin. And the frills of F mean they get into Safwa.

All this means that on regional sectors of long-haul connecting tickets you will usually be in first, as the only premium-class cabin. So....buy a first-class ticket on QR from DOH-DXB and you will get in the Safwa lounge.

But the cost of stand-alone tickets is significant. Fly Cairo to Bangkok in J (as so many do!) and you'll get a relatively cheap peep into the world of Safwa just before the final sector of your return to Cairo.
Old Feb 26, 2017, 8:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by msm2000uk
.... where members are encouraged that it's 'ok to leave items in the Lounge while they take a TP hop flight', please beware that QR see this and have taken steps to prevent such activity.
I'd never seen that encouragement offered here ... but then I remember I reported leaving my bags in the lounge baggage room while I went to Cairo. It was to assure a poster that he'd not be challenged leaving his while he did a tour of Doha.

I should explain that it was the light hearted telling of a tale where I near had a heart-attack when taking my seat on the Cairo flight. I realised at that moment my bag was still in the lounge. I'd drifted along walkways and on trains without my carry-on. It was at the furthest possible gate from Safwa, but the charming and efficient Maîtresse de Cabine sent a minion racing back there to retrieve my bag.

Embarrassing. I blame time changes, the sauna like environment in the Safwa showers, and double Eggs Benedict

So if the QR Masters really have nothing better to do than read the nonsense we write in these threads: Stand Down - Baggage Room Abuse is Overstated

Originally Posted by msm2000uk
is an airside hotel, and those with lengthy layovers should use it opposed to the Al Safwa Lounge Sleep Rooms. Yes, there is a cost to it, but consider it a small additional fee to the cheap ex-CAI fares that many people bought.
I'm fortunate in spending considerable time in Cairo. But for those positioning there specially for QR's fares, the additional flights, hotel accommodation and visas in Cairo, and now the "small additional fee" of $200 for the Doha airport hotel - those Cairo tickets are not looking so cheap

Last edited by IAN-UK; Feb 26, 2017 at 1:34 pm
Old Feb 26, 2017, 10:06 am

Originally Posted by IAN-UK
I'd never seen that encouragement offered here ... but then I remember I reported leaving my bags in the long baggage room while I went to Cairo. It was to assure a poster that he'd not be challenged leaving his while he did a tour of Doha.

I should explain that it was the light hearted telling of a tale where I near had a heart-attack when taking my seat on the Cairo flight. I realised at that moment my bag was still in the lounge. I'd drifted along always and on trains without my carry-on. It was at the furthest possible gate from Safwa, but the charming and efficient Maîtresse de Cabine sent a minion racing back there to retrieve my bag.

Embarrassing. I blame time changes, the sauna like environment in the Safwa showers, and double Eggs Benedict

So if the QR Masters really have nothing better to do than read the nonsense we write in these threads: Stand Down - Baggage Room Abuse is Overstated

I'm fortunate in spending considerable time in Cairo. But for those positioning there specially for QR's fares, the additional flights, hotel accommodation and visas in Cairo, and now the small additional fee of $200 for the Doha airport hotel - those Cairo tickets are not looking so cheap
IAN-UK I think msm2000uk is refering to the practice that was advocated on this forum by some members of taking a sleep room and using is as a base for the entire duration of their stay and going off into Doha for the day (or even taking other flights). That is something very different to the use of the luggage facilities.
Old Feb 26, 2017, 1:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by remdk
IAN-UK I think msm2000uk is refering to the practice that was advocated on this forum by some members of taking a sleep room and using is as a base for the entire duration of their stay and going off into Doha for the day (or even taking other flights). That is something very different to the use of the luggage facilities.
Ah! but i thought time limits to the sleeping quarters had always been one of the odd features of Safwa. Others being the location of shower rooms, the pay as you go Spa and the less than relaxing eating area. Don't get me wrong, I like the place - but I like it more for its drama than its comfort
Old Feb 26, 2017, 1:40 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Subcard
Originally Posted by remdk
Did people really promote that kind of behaviour on here?

I do agree that it's not acceptable but don't recall people encouringing it.

I only remember reading about people storing bags during nested flights.
Old Feb 26, 2017, 3:12 pm

GTR56 within days of Al Safwa opening late October 2015 the long term occupation of these rooms was being extolled. Look at post 296, and onward, of this thread!
Old Feb 26, 2017, 7:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by IAN-UK
... but the charming and efficient Maîtresse de Cabine sent a minion racing back there to retrieve my bag.
Yes, F on foreign carriers is quite nice. I got off a CX HKG-JFK in F and left a large box of china I had bought in the closet by my seat. Didn't realize it until I was at bag claim. Just as I turned around to see if there was a CX staffer around, some poor young lad came running with my box, sweating profusely. He had been told what I look like and came right up to me, apologizing for taking so long!
Old Feb 27, 2017, 2:40 am

Programs: AS 100k, BA GGL, UA 1k, DL DM, AC SE, B6 Mosaic4, Hyatt/Hilton/Wyndham/IHG Diamond, Marriot Ti
Delete

Last edited by TalkingPoint; Apr 1, 2017 at 11:48 am
Old Feb 27, 2017, 3:03 am

fauxreals if you have a boarding pass in F then you will have access to Al Safwa on your DOH-DXB leg. If you have a return flight in F then you will not have access but you will be able to access the DXB Qatar Premium lounge.
Old Feb 27, 2017, 3:27 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Yes, sorry I worded it poorly. If I used BA miles to book a QR flight from DOH-DXB it will cost 18k avios. This is the F rate even though the layout of the plane only has J and Y seats. I'm assuming because I'm flying on QR regionally, it is charging me the miles price for F instead of J because of the fact that I will be allowed access to Safwa? Thanks for the reply.
It is charging you the rate for F, because you will be ticketed as F. Intra-Gulf flights on QR are operated by two class aircraft, and marketed as either F or Y. Think AA domestic, and until very recently, it was the same set up.

If you were booking a revenue ticket, you would earn the F Avios and Tier Points because it is an F fare bracket.

Access to the Al Safwa Lounge is neither here nor there in the matter of booking an F fare departing from DOH.

M
Old Feb 27, 2017, 7:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes, sorry I worded it poorly. If I used BA miles to book a QR flight from DOH-DXB it will cost 18k avios. This is the F rate even though the layout of the plane only has J and Y seats. I'm assuming because I'm flying on QR regionally, it is charging me the miles price for F instead of J because of the fact that I will be allowed access to Safwa? Thanks for the reply.
BA ticketed it in F. Your BP will be in F and you will have access.

On the other hand, AA while ticketed it in F but recognized it just a 2 class flight like a domestic "F" on AA's 2 class flights, hence only charged J miles. At least that was the practice last year. No idea how it is now.
Old Mar 7, 2017, 12:40 am

Programs: BA Gold
Just to update,

Passed through the Al Safwa lounge this week with an 8hr 05 night layover between flights from the UK and Jeddah [long story how we ended up with that gap]. The lounge is as remarkably striking as others have said.
No problems getting one of the superb Nap rooms for 6 hours, minor snag that I had to share with my colleague who, it turns out, had a cold and thus snored somewhat but that's not really in Qatar's control. Combined with the (admittedly pay to use) gym and swimming pool in Doha terminal it's a huge selling point for routing via Doha whenever possible.
Old Mar 7, 2017, 12:46 am

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red
Originally Posted by tinkicker
Just to update,

Passed through the Al Safwa lounge this week with an 8hr 05 night layover between flights from the UK and Jeddah [long story how we ended up with that gap]. The lounge is as remarkably striking as others have said.
No problems getting one of the superb Nap rooms for 6 hours, minor snag that I had to share with my colleague who, it turns out, had a cold and thus snored somewhat but that's not really in Qatar's control. Combined with the (admittedly pay to use) gym and swimming pool in Doha terminal it's a huge selling point for routing via Doha whenever possible.
Welcome to FT and the Qatar Airways forums!

Well, as you can see QR is consistently inconsistent.
Old Mar 7, 2017, 4:04 am

I visited the lounge a few days ago en-route to CAI. Found the food and service very underwhelming.
Old Mar 7, 2017, 5:31 am

Programs: LH SEN, AF/KL Platinum, QR Gold (OW Sapphire), A-Club Platinum, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by mlqsko
I visited the lounge a few days ago en-route to CAI. Found the food and service very underwhelming.
Can not agree more. I was in Al-Safwa waiting for my QR 1303 flight bound to CAI and found both food and service way below expectaions (maybe it's the matter of the time, morning offerings usually are not very interesting)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.