Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 5, 2015, 11:11 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: CPH-Flyer
READ BEFORE COMMENTING IF YOU ARE NEW,

Hamad International Airport (HIA) offers passengers a number of different lounges.

This thread, is specifically for the Al Safwa First Class Lounge. Information on the other Lounge options at HIA, can be found here.

Does Al Safwa have a web page?
Yes: http://www.qatarairways.com/global/e...-al-safwa.page

Dining Menu
https://www.qatarairways.com/content...-dining-en.pdf

Where can I find Al Safwa Lounge?
The Lounge is located on Level 3 of the airport.

Can I use the Qatar Airways Al Safwa Lounge?

Access is based on your underlying fare bucket. This means that upgraded tickets, maybe except upgrades with QPoints (see post 2735), are not granted access.

Access is thus restricted to Qatar Airways First Class, and OneWorld First Class passengers :
- either holding a First Class boarding pass* for their next flight
- or holding a First Class boarding pass from their previous flight.

Additionally, Privilege Club platinum club travelling on any business-class fare are welcomed into the lounge. This is a facility introduced recently and one that could just as easily disappear.

- Guests are not permitted.
* Operational Upgrades to First do not give access. Upgrades with Qpoints may do give acces (see post 2735 - Sept 2022)

Arrival access on mid and long haul? (eg. coming from LHR in F)

YES

​​​​​
Ex. CAI-DOH-HEL
Arrival access regional F? (eg. coming from CAI in F)

Yes.
Caveat, if your underlying J fare is P, then the no lounge access for business light kicks in. And there is no access.

Privilege Club Platinum members are currently allowed in the lounge when travelling on any QR business-class fare: that could change. Other Oneworld Emerald members are directed to the Platinum lounge(s) when travelling in any class, and the Al Mourjan lounge when travelling on relevant business-class fares. Yup, it gets complicated.

What does the lounge look like?
Reports on the Lounge, can be found here and here. Photographs of the lounge, can be found here.

Is there a Spa?
Yes, there is a full Spa, but you will have to pay for treatments. A full list of treatments available can be found here

What about the sleeping rooms?
Stargold in http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/28199729-post1177.html suggests that access to sleeping rooms is as follows:
'* No reservations allowed - always first-come first-served
* Only available if the remaining time until the flight departure is more than 4 hours
* Passengers are allowed maximum six hours' usage - for any further usage, a fee of QAR 450 is payable for a second block of six hours.
* No F&B of any kind except bottled water in the sleeping rooms.'

What changes can I expect during Ramadan?
Ramadan affects QR and you in many ways so please look at ramadan to see how you are affected.

Updated: 19/11/2023

Print Wikipost

QR Al Safwa First Class Lounge

Search this Thread

Old Oct 3, 2022, 11:55 am

I am flying the following itenerary BKK->DOH (f) arriving at 5:35 am on July 05, 2023 and then DOH ->CDG(j) on July 06 1:55 am July 06. My second leg was also F but got an email today "due to equipment change your cabin class has been changed". Do you think I will have access to the AS lounge for the whole 20 hour layover? Or is it suggested I enjoy the Al Majour lounge for a few hours (never been there either) and then try my luck with AS?

PS I booked this whole trip just to enjoy A380 F before they are grounded again and to experience the AS lounge
Old Oct 4, 2022, 2:16 am

Programs: QR Platinum, Star Alliance Gold (LH Sen)
Originally Posted by roketboy
Thanks very much for clarifying. It would have clinched the deal.
Originally Posted by Traveller999
Actually today I am on an upgraded (to First) flight from BKK to DOH (and then to MUC in business ;-) ) - as I am Platinum I can access AS, so I will ask at reception to reconfirm my statement and let you know them
I did ask at both receptions (inside at AS entrance) and got 2 different answers hahaha - one was, that upgrades made with QCredits or Avios would have access to AS (but I personally do not believe that), and one that upgrades of any kind are not valid for access to AS (and this I believe is the truth).
Old Oct 4, 2022, 2:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
I did ask at both receptions (inside at AS entrance) and got 2 different answers hahaha - one was, that upgrades made with QCredits or Avios would have access to AS (but I personally do not believe that), and one that upgrades of any kind are not valid for access to AS (and this I believe is the truth).
You should have got the first answer in writing, signed, co-signed, notarised and framed.
Old Oct 4, 2022, 3:14 am

Originally Posted by IAN-UK
You should have got the first answer in writing, signed, co-signed, notarised and framed.
And all that from the boss, his excellency, right? ;-)
Why I did not think about that haha
IAN-UK and nilsfr69 like this.
Old Oct 4, 2022, 9:26 pm

F SYD to DOH to JFk J got access

Was worried bc of 7 people in front of me and P2, all got turned away except one person. We showed our first class ticket in front of our business class ticket and after 5 minutes of the front desk staff making a call and doing lots of typing, we were allowed in. Everyone else along the way, the check in agent, the FAs on the flight, and the transit agents all said we would only have access to the J class lounge. Glad this forum knew better than they did.
seanp7, timfarr1 and Traveller999 like this.
Old Oct 4, 2022, 9:28 pm

Any chance flying in from MLE to DOH would grant access on arrival if continuing in J to USA? It's a 4.5 hr flight but is not A380 instead on CX leased so wasn't sure if it's a special exception.
Old Oct 4, 2022, 9:43 pm

Originally Posted by donalduckn
Any chance flying in from MLE to DOH would grant access on arrival if continuing in J to USA? It's a 4.5 hr flight but is not A380 instead on CX leased so wasn't sure if it's a special exception.
Anecdotally, it’s based on the length of duration for the incoming flight (minimum 5 hours), so by the letter of the law an arrival from MLE would not qualify, based on this information.

I have a flight in February ZRH-DOH-AKL. 20 hour layover. First segment in F.

Starting to wonder if they’ll grant accessn
Old Oct 4, 2022, 10:48 pm

Programs: QF Platinum LH Senator
I did ask at both receptions (inside at AS entrance) and got 2 different answers hahaha.
Thanks for checking Traveller999 - even if the answers were not conclusive. As the offer to upgrade was repeated several times, I clicked through at one point and saw a note that lounge access is not included. It does seem strange to me that QR would not include access to the higher lounge category when then are charging cash for the upgrade, But the term and conditions definitely state all other benefits for upgraded tickets are at the original fare level.

Ultimately I did not accept. My business ticket included AM access and as OWE I could use the First lounge in Sydney. Slept comfortably for more than 10 hours and was just ahead of the AM shower and restaurant peak in Doha.
Traveller999 likes this.
Old Oct 4, 2022, 11:46 pm

Originally Posted by roketboy
Thanks for checking Traveller999 - even if the answers were not conclusive. As the offer to upgrade was repeated several times, I clicked through at one point and saw a note that lounge access is not included. It does seem strange to me that QR would not include access to the higher lounge category when then are charging cash for the upgrade, But the term and conditions definitely state all other benefits for upgraded tickets are at the original fare level.

Ultimately I did not accept. My business ticket included AM access and as OWE I could use the First lounge in Sydney. Slept comfortably for more than 10 hours and was just ahead of the AM shower and restaurant peak in Doha.
You are most welcome @roketboy!
Yes it definitely is strange to not grant full service for upgrades - it was before, but it changed a few years ago :-(

Good to hear that it worked out well for you - welcome to Munich :-)
roketboy likes this.
Old Oct 5, 2022, 12:04 am

Originally Posted by Tofino87
Anecdotally, it’s based on the length of duration for the incoming flight (minimum 5 hours), so by the letter of the law an arrival from MLE would not qualify, based on this information.

I have a flight in February ZRH-DOH-AKL. 20 hour layover. First segment in F.

Starting to wonder if they’ll grant accessn
It is actually the published oneworld rule which makes a distinction depending on the length of the incoming and connecting flights.

Anecdotally, QR has been providing AS access to incoming F on any flight length since AS reopened, such as DXB-DOH which is only an hour long.
Old Oct 5, 2022, 5:44 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Gold
Very much looking forward to our first QR experience next week, AMS-DOH Q suites and DOH-DXB in F.

We have a 19 hour layover so have booked the Oryx airport hotel.
Will we be allowed to come and go from the AS lounge throughout this layover, or is it just one longer visit allowed?
I guess we were thinking along the lines of a possible visit on arrival, breakfast in the morning and a pre-departure visit later.
TIA
Old Oct 7, 2022, 10:59 pm

Programs: Qatar Airways Privilege Club Platinum; Accor Le Club Platinum
Originally Posted by w3andw4d
Very much looking forward to our first QR experience next week, AMS-DOH Q suites and DOH-DXB in F.

We have a 19 hour layover so have booked the Oryx airport hotel.
Will we be allowed to come and go from the AS lounge throughout this layover, or is it just one longer visit allowed?
I guess we were thinking along the lines of a possible visit on arrival, breakfast in the morning and a pre-departure visit later.
TIA
You should be able to come and go as you please. I've never had an issue with this!
Old Oct 8, 2022, 2:39 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by SullyofDoha
You should be able to come and go as you please. I've never had an issue with this!
Thanks for clarifying, much appreciated!
Old Oct 8, 2022, 12:42 pm

Programs: BA Exec Club Gold, *G, EK Skywards Silver
MCT-MNL F
MNL-CGK J

all on Avios

access granted.

they need to apply an override. Initial scan of the boarding pass draws a blank.

Got to be honest, other than being quieter than AM, and this is now my second visit, It’s nice enough but nowhere near as nice as SYD QF F lounge IMO for food, beverage, service and views.
Old Oct 10, 2022, 4:33 am

Programs: QFF, AA, LM, EY
How much is paid entry into Al-Safwa again on a revenue QR J ticket ?
Considering it for a 9h 25m overnight layover
And is this type of entry into Al-Safwa capacity controlled at all ?
Any chance all sleeper rooms would be taken if by the time I arrive in the lounge it'll be close to midnight ? Or is just roll of the dice ?
Thanks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.