Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 5, 2015, 11:11 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: CPH-Flyer
READ BEFORE COMMENTING IF YOU ARE NEW,

Hamad International Airport (HIA) offers passengers a number of different lounges.

This thread, is specifically for the Al Safwa First Class Lounge. Information on the other Lounge options at HIA, can be found here.

Does Al Safwa have a web page?
Yes: http://www.qatarairways.com/global/e...-al-safwa.page

Dining Menu
https://www.qatarairways.com/content...-dining-en.pdf

Where can I find Al Safwa Lounge?
The Lounge is located on Level 3 of the airport.

Can I use the Qatar Airways Al Safwa Lounge?

Access is based on your underlying fare bucket. This means that upgraded tickets, maybe except upgrades with QPoints (see post 2735), are not granted access.

Access is thus restricted to Qatar Airways First Class, and OneWorld First Class passengers :
- either holding a First Class boarding pass* for their next flight
- or holding a First Class boarding pass from their previous flight.

Additionally, Privilege Club platinum club travelling on any business-class fare are welcomed into the lounge. This is a facility introduced recently and one that could just as easily disappear.

- Guests are not permitted.
* Operational Upgrades to First do not give access. Upgrades with Qpoints may do give acces (see post 2735 - Sept 2022)

Arrival access on mid and long haul? (eg. coming from LHR in F)

YES

​​​​​
Ex. CAI-DOH-HEL
Arrival access regional F? (eg. coming from CAI in F)

Yes.
Caveat, if your underlying J fare is P, then the no lounge access for business light kicks in. And there is no access.

Privilege Club Platinum members are currently allowed in the lounge when travelling on any QR business-class fare: that could change. Other Oneworld Emerald members are directed to the Platinum lounge(s) when travelling in any class, and the Al Mourjan lounge when travelling on relevant business-class fares. Yup, it gets complicated.

What does the lounge look like?
Reports on the Lounge, can be found here and here. Photographs of the lounge, can be found here.

Is there a Spa?
Yes, there is a full Spa, but you will have to pay for treatments. A full list of treatments available can be found here

What about the sleeping rooms?
Stargold in http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/28199729-post1177.html suggests that access to sleeping rooms is as follows:
'* No reservations allowed - always first-come first-served
* Only available if the remaining time until the flight departure is more than 4 hours
* Passengers are allowed maximum six hours' usage - for any further usage, a fee of QAR 450 is payable for a second block of six hours.
* No F&B of any kind except bottled water in the sleeping rooms.'

What changes can I expect during Ramadan?
Ramadan affects QR and you in many ways so please look at ramadan to see how you are affected.

Updated: 19/11/2023

Print Wikipost

QR Al Safwa First Class Lounge

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21, 2022, 7:25 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
It's basically the busiest time of the day.
Old Apr 21, 2022, 7:44 am

Programs: QF, TK, VA, SQ
Is there a collective knowledge of the busiest times at the AS/AM lounge (and I guess HIA in general?)

We'll be transiting there in the next few months, once from 5:30-9pm and the other from about 6am - 9:30am, I'd seen notes that it was super busy in the wee hours of the night, but not a lot for other times of day.
(Sorry if slightly o/t)
Old Apr 21, 2022, 7:46 am

Yeah it can be very busy - especially in the restaurant!

Here is the current menu:

https://www.qatarairways.com/content...-dining-en.pdf

Since my travel took me all over the Middle East the last few weeks, I spend 36h in total in Al Safwa so I could basically try everything and if your are used to decent US steak, may I suggest to to not waste time on the steak - mediocre at best…

And if you just wanna grab a drink or light bite, go and visit the family room area, there is a small „buffet“ available and quite hidden.

Have fun;-)
LilZeppelin and davidvcd like this.
Old Apr 23, 2022, 3:37 pm

Programs: BA Gold / Hilton Diamond / IHG Diamond Ambassador / Marriot Bonvoy Gold
If I were in direct transit then I think I would have access as arriving in DOH from LHR on A380 in F and onward in J as that is the highest cabin available on second sector. Fare basis is A/J
However, if arriving in F on A380 from LHR but having a 4 day stopover in DOH, before onward connect in J (9 hr sector), can I checkin at F and use F lounge.?

On my return, I have straight transit at DOH so can use F lounge as sector on A380 in F

i should add, for completeness, that A380 F flights are under BA codeshare, should that make a difference.
Old Apr 24, 2022, 8:41 am

Programs: AA EXP; United 1K, Delta, IHG Plat Amb, PE, Marriott/Hilton Gold
Al Safwa versus Al Mourjan versus Airport Hotel - or some combination of the three?:
We have an itinerary coming up that, with recent flight changes, will put us at DOH for a 13.5 hour overnight layover. about 5:30pm to 7:50 am. STPC not an option due to covid
We will have Al Mourjan access since we are traveling in business. We have done an overnight there several times and not thrilled with the noise in the sleeping room. Not sure if that is even open now with covid?
So one option is to book the airport hotel and have dinner at Al Mourjan before going to the hotel.
Another option would be to buy Al Safwa access for a better dinner. Worth it? Or maybe plan to stay in/sleep in Al Safwa for the duration? From past comments, those sleep areas are hard to come by so my current thought is that the hotel would just be more comfortable and predictable

Thoughts on the best plan/approach? Pros/Cons?

I miss our 3 hour layover that we had originally :-(

Last edited by aj411; Apr 24, 2022 at 8:47 am
Old Apr 24, 2022, 9:32 am

Programs: VS FC Gold, BA EC Gold, Amex Centurion, EK Gold, ex-G-ATVK driver
Originally Posted by aj411
Al Safwa versus Al Mourjan versus Airport Hotel - or some combination of the three?:
We have an itinerary coming up that, with recent flight changes, will put us at DOH for a 13.5 hour overnight layover. about 5:30pm to 7:50 am. STPC not an option due to covid
We will have Al Mourjan access since we are traveling in business. We have done an overnight there several times and not thrilled with the noise in the sleeping room. Not sure if that is even open now with covid?
So one option is to book the airport hotel and have dinner at Al Mourjan before going to the hotel.
Another option would be to buy Al Safwa access for a better dinner. Worth it? Or maybe plan to stay in/sleep in Al Safwa for the duration? From past comments, those sleep areas are hard to come by so my current thought is that the hotel would just be more comfortable and predictable

Thoughts on the best plan/approach? Pros/Cons?

I miss our 3 hour layover that we had originally :-(
Airport hotel would be my choice, if you intend to sleep. It also gives you a base, and you can come and go as you please.

Al Safwa is OK, but I find the rooms to be limited: at one time they didn't even provide bottled water, and you're not allowed to bring drinks in from the bar. There's the uncertainty of room availability, and there's a six hour time limit. I've never enjoyed what I'd call a satisfactory rest in those rooms, partly due to the anxiety of out-staying my welcome, but it is better than nothing, if for example, the airside hotel is full & you don't have a booking.

Food-wise, Al-Safwa is a bit of a disappointment, as someone else mentioned earlier, the steak is bad enough to make you go vegetarian. You're better off with something like a biriani. I'm not convinced the food in Al Safwa is any better than Al Mourjan to be honest, although the service in Al Safwa is certainly a notch up. The booze is usually OK in Al Safwa: my favourite position is at the bar, they often have wines that aren't on the list if you ask.

If you've never been into Al Safwa, then I'd recommend it as a bucket list item despite what I've said: the space itself is unique.

My own MO on a very long layover is to book the airside hotel, and to prop up the bar at Al Safwa (usually more than once).
aj411 and Episwim like this.
Old Apr 24, 2022, 9:44 am

Programs: VS FC Gold, BA EC Gold, Amex Centurion, EK Gold, ex-G-ATVK driver
Originally Posted by SKT-DK
Ah yes - this is also the only place where I have been aggressively approached by someone directly in front of the entrance virtually demanding to enter with me (‘but you are travelling alone’, etc…) - such a joyful place that was
Had that in KUL, drunk dude at the podium in front of the Golden biz & first lounges trying to get me to guest him into one of them in the satellite terminal. I declined, but even the lounge agent was encouraging me to do it, perhaps so he was no longer her problem. Weird.
Old Apr 24, 2022, 9:58 am

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by binman
If I were in direct transit then I think I would have access as arriving in DOH from LHR on A380 in F and onward in J as that is the highest cabin available on second sector. Fare basis is A/J
However, if arriving in F on A380 from LHR but having a 4 day stopover in DOH, before onward connect in J (9 hr sector), can I checkin at F and use F lounge.?

On my return, I have straight transit at DOH so can use F lounge as sector on A380 in F

i should add, for completeness, that A380 F flights are under BA codeshare, should that make a difference.
I think you always used to need a transit of 24 hours or less to get premium lounge access in this scenario (either Al Safwa if the first segment was longhaul F and second J or Al Mourjan if the first segment was longhaul J and second was Y). I would work on the assumption you will be sent to Al Mourjan but things could always have changed and you may be pleasantly surprised. Please report back either way as I'm sure others would be interested in the outcome too!
binman likes this.
Old Apr 24, 2022, 11:29 am

Programs: BA Gold (and other non-status plastic)
Originally Posted by aj411
Al Safwa versus Al Mourjan versus Airport Hotel - or some combination of the three?
So I've done Al Mourjan for a long layover (pre-Covid - although they have reopened), and basically you won't get sleep; the recliners are uncomfortable and "exposed", and the quiet area is stuffy and anything-but-quiet. It's a novelty to roam around an almost empty lounge at 3am between the two main waves of flights, but you will be a sleep-deprived zombie for the rest of the day

Last week I pre-paid for Al Safwa via MMB (20% cheaper than on-the-door - about $130 for 6 hours - time limit not enforced), and it was a revelation. 6 hours of sleep in a proper hotel-style room was the perfect tonic. Although they don't throw you out (of the lounge) after 6 hours, the rooms are strictly 6 hours with no advanced booking, so time your request carefully - suggest asking for a room *just before* the late evening rush of arrivals... As others have said, the food is meh, nothing special, but the service is friendly and fast, and the space itself is worth experiencing

Airport Hotel in theory is the best option, but was 3x the price. Up to you if you think it's worth it, but for me Al Safwa hit the spot...
aj411 likes this.
Old Apr 25, 2022, 5:54 am

Originally Posted by kt74
Airport Hotel in theory is the best option, but was 3x the price. Up to you if you think it's worth it, but for me Al Safwa hit the spot...
Thanks for the thoughts all around everyone. Just in case, I booked the hotel (can cancel later). There are two of us so the price difference isn't as bad. May just take the time to have a sit-down meal in AM lounge before checking in.
Old Apr 25, 2022, 6:14 am

Thanks for the thoughts all around everyone. Just in case, I booked the hotel (can cancel later). There are two of us so the price difference isn't as bad. May just take the time to have a sit-down meal in AM lounge before checking in.
Old Apr 25, 2022, 10:09 am

Programs: EXP,EX-CK 2.5mm, now lifetime Platinum, ex-UA1K, Marriott- Platinum, Hertz 5*
OWE in J...

I have read through this thread, several articles and looked at the One World and Qatar sites. I am a OWE flying J.... it appears I cannot access the Al Safwa lounge? Just wanted to confirm as I have found so much conflicing info and most of the debates seem to be about Y OWE trying to get in. Appreciate any clarity. Qatar chat rep says I do have access....?

Last edited by goldengate; Apr 25, 2022 at 10:34 am
Old Apr 25, 2022, 10:35 am

Programs: Mucci Chevalier de la Brosse a Cheveux Dore, SK *GfL, BA Gold, WY G, HH DIA, IC Plat Amb., Hertz PC
Originally Posted by goldengate
I have read through this thread, several articles and looked at the One World and Qatar sites. I am a OWE flying J.... it appears I cannot access the Al Safwa lounge? Just wanted to confirm as I have found so much conflicing info and most of the debates seem to be about Y OWE trying to get in. Appreciate any clarity. Qatar chat rep says I do have access....?
Unless your flight is in F you cannot access. Not sure why anything is perceived as conflicting, except from the QR chat bot
Old Apr 25, 2022, 12:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by goldengate
If you are willing to pay for it (or your employer is), you may be able to obtain access. Otherwise, as a business class passenger, you will not have access, regardless of whether you have Oneworld Emerald status.
Old Apr 25, 2022, 12:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
So I've done Al Mourjan for a long layover (pre-Covid - although they have reopened), and basically you won't get sleep; the recliners are uncomfortable and "exposed", and the quiet area is stuffy and anything-but-quiet. It's a novelty to roam around an almost empty lounge at 3am between the two main waves of flights, but you will be a sleep-deprived zombie for the rest of the day

Last week I pre-paid for Al Safwa via MMB (20% cheaper than on-the-door - about $130 for 6 hours - time limit not enforced), and it was a revelation. 6 hours of sleep in a proper hotel-style room was the perfect tonic. Although they don't throw you out (of the lounge) after 6 hours, the rooms are strictly 6 hours with no advanced booking, so time your request carefully - suggest asking for a room *just before* the late evening rush of arrivals... As others have said, the food is meh, nothing special, but the service is friendly and fast, and the space itself is worth experiencing

Airport hotel also books up, so if you are a last minute traveler (like many business travelers), it likely won't be an option.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.