Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 5, 2015, 11:11 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: CPH-Flyer
READ BEFORE COMMENTING IF YOU ARE NEW,

Hamad International Airport (HIA) offers passengers a number of different lounges.

This thread, is specifically for the Al Safwa First Class Lounge. Information on the other Lounge options at HIA, can be found here.

Does Al Safwa have a web page?
Yes: http://www.qatarairways.com/global/e...-al-safwa.page

Dining Menu
https://www.qatarairways.com/content...-dining-en.pdf

Where can I find Al Safwa Lounge?
The Lounge is located on Level 3 of the airport.

Can I use the Qatar Airways Al Safwa Lounge?

Access is based on your underlying fare bucket. This means that upgraded tickets, maybe except upgrades with QPoints (see post 2735), are not granted access.

Access is thus restricted to Qatar Airways First Class, and OneWorld First Class passengers :
- either holding a First Class boarding pass* for their next flight
- or holding a First Class boarding pass from their previous flight.

Additionally, Privilege Club platinum club travelling on any business-class fare are welcomed into the lounge. This is a facility introduced recently and one that could just as easily disappear.

- Guests are not permitted.
* Operational Upgrades to First do not give access. Upgrades with Qpoints may do give acces (see post 2735 - Sept 2022)

Arrival access on mid and long haul? (eg. coming from LHR in F)

YES

​​​​​
Ex. CAI-DOH-HEL
Arrival access regional F? (eg. coming from CAI in F)

Yes.
Caveat, if your underlying J fare is P, then the no lounge access for business light kicks in. And there is no access.

Privilege Club Platinum members are currently allowed in the lounge when travelling on any QR business-class fare: that could change. Other Oneworld Emerald members are directed to the Platinum lounge(s) when travelling in any class, and the Al Mourjan lounge when travelling on relevant business-class fares. Yup, it gets complicated.

What does the lounge look like?
Reports on the Lounge, can be found here and here. Photographs of the lounge, can be found here.

Is there a Spa?
Yes, there is a full Spa, but you will have to pay for treatments. A full list of treatments available can be found here

What about the sleeping rooms?
Stargold in http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/28199729-post1177.html suggests that access to sleeping rooms is as follows:
'* No reservations allowed - always first-come first-served
* Only available if the remaining time until the flight departure is more than 4 hours
* Passengers are allowed maximum six hours' usage - for any further usage, a fee of QAR 450 is payable for a second block of six hours.
* No F&B of any kind except bottled water in the sleeping rooms.'

What changes can I expect during Ramadan?
Ramadan affects QR and you in many ways so please look at ramadan to see how you are affected.

Updated: 19/11/2023

Print Wikipost

QR Al Safwa First Class Lounge

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7, 2022, 2:44 pm

Programs: UA plat, , aa plat, marriott LT titanium
Originally Posted by ft4lyf
May have a chance to transit DOH on an upcoming Saturday between 8AM till Noon or so.
Flying QR-C ...so, i guess I can buy can access to A.S lounge (if I choose to).

Can I buy access after verifying if the sleeping rooms are available (whenever I reach DOH)? Not sure how good the chances to find a sleeping room in that time of the day.

(website is quoting a cheaper 137 USD price in "manage my booking" if I buy ahead of time,,,..but do not want to commit without knowing if the room is available)
I was able to do exactly that - asked and they told me none available at that time so I went to AM
ft4lyf likes this.
Old Mar 7, 2022, 2:53 pm

Originally Posted by estnet
I was able to do exactly that - asked and they told me none available at that time so I went to AM
Thank you!
thank you crackjack

In this case i will wait till i get to the lounge and see if they have a room available.
(if not, A.M. is a fine lounge as such)
estnet and crackjack like this.
Old Mar 9, 2022, 8:58 pm

Programs: AA Exp, Radisson VIP, Expedia OneKey Platinum, Hilton Gold, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Amex Plati
I saw the train running with passengers back in January. But still I think it's just as fast or faster to walk briskly on the moving walkways.
Old Mar 9, 2022, 10:38 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
I noticed the tracks extend further the other day. Is that built in for further expansion?
Old Mar 9, 2022, 10:44 pm

Originally Posted by arabiamark
I saw the train running with passengers back in January. But still I think it's just as fast or faster to walk briskly on the moving walkways.
Some don't want to walk briskly anywhere

"Let the train take the strain" was an advertising jingle in the UK and sounds just fine when passing through Doha.
Old Mar 10, 2022, 9:34 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
I am flying MLE to DOH (First) and then DOH to JFK (QSuites). I initially had a 3+ hour transit in Doha, but recent flight schedule changes have reduced that to a 1 hour and 55 minutes transit .

After reading through the transit protocols, it seems to be quick and painless (no immigration, dedicated security lines for First and Business passengers, etc.) so I do not expect issues with making my connecting flight, even if there is a minor delay.

My question is whether a two hour transit is enough time to stop by the AS lounge (I believe some recent visitors have said that Qatar is temporarily giving access to the AS for arriving/connecting F passengers on arrival flights less than 5 hours)? I don't expect us to use the spa or day room for such a short transit, but I wonder if we would have about an hour or so to spend in AS to grab a meal or take a quick shower/soak in the tub. I also love being the last passenger to board when flying F, and many ME and Asian carriers cater to this, unlike US based carriers, who yell at their F customer for arriving just before boarding closes...
Carfield likes this.
Old Mar 10, 2022, 11:44 am

Flying DFW-DOH-AUH later this month with what's turned into a 20-hour overnight connection. Any issue accessing Al Safwa if I were to decide not to go into town?
Old Mar 10, 2022, 11:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by kpottermn
Flying DFW-DOH-AUH later this month with what's turned into a 20-hour overnight connection. Any issue accessing Al Safwa if I were to decide not to go into town?
As you are departing Doha to Abu Dhabi on First, you could use the Al Safwa Lounge during your entire layover.
Old Mar 10, 2022, 8:01 pm

Originally Posted by crackjack
They should treat a full award (not upgrade) the same as a paid ticket. Last I believe was reported was that it was open to such (at the very least, as a temporary measure at the time).

[EDIT]Exactly what Schwann said. Do come back and tell us what we’re missing!
Do they have to be on a single PNR? I'll have MLE-DOH in F on one award ticket then DOH-BNE in J on another award ticket.
Old Mar 10, 2022, 9:30 pm

Programs: AS MVPG75k, Marriott Gold, SPG
Originally Posted by stargold
Only whatever lounge Emerald entitles you to - your flights in Business or First do not matter for the purposes of lounge access because it's a P fare (yes, even the sectors booked in A).

Presently I believe that lounge is Al Mourjan, but that may become downgraded if demand picks up and QR opens the status lounges again.

I would avoid P if R is not a significant additional premium on top.
im on Z class DOH to MLE. Will I be able to enter?
Old Mar 10, 2022, 10:05 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
I assume Z is a redemption class? Redemptions get full lounge access.
Old Mar 11, 2022, 1:02 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH, SEN, RJ Platinum, ALL Diamond, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Yenakad
Just to report back from our return journey. Same situation, it took a moment to check but finally we were admitted to Al Safa with our Eco>Biz tickets (with QPoints). Both of us are QR Plat. members.
Originally Posted by Schwann
I assume Z is a redemption class? Redemptions get full lounge access.
Z is also for Miles Upgrade, this should be fine.
Only not giving access is Qcredit Upgrade
Old Mar 11, 2022, 6:28 am
kkl

Have approx 15 hours to kill at AS.

2 passengers - are we able to book the sleep rooms separately? Thus having a 12 hour block?
Old Mar 11, 2022, 8:26 am
Community Director Emerita

Originally Posted by kkl
Have approx 15 hours to kill at AS.

2 passengers - are we able to book the sleep rooms separately? Thus having a 12 hour block?
They are likely to give you single rooms if you book separately. And you won't know if you can get the rooms sequentially until the time comes for the second block of 6 hours.

We booked a double room. We then had the right to extend it for 6 hours by paying. Once we had the room, we knew we could have it for the full 12 hours by paying for the second set of 6 hours.
crackjack likes this.
Old Mar 11, 2022, 8:31 am
HAF

Flying QR in 2 weeks SFO-DOH-HYD and return, business class - specifically fare (C) not cheap BTW - and I am Sapphire with OneWorld - I am still confused re: what lounge access am i going to be allowed? when i go to my booking on the QR site it asks me to pay for lounge access .... if business lounge access is allowed - does QR allow to pay the difference to get into al safwa? and what would i expect for that amount to be? i would really appreciate getting a shower and on the return HYD-SFO i will be in DOH within the 5-8am bank on a Saturday which means business lounge will be packed.

--HAF

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.