Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 5, 2015, 11:11 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: CPH-Flyer
READ BEFORE COMMENTING IF YOU ARE NEW,

Hamad International Airport (HIA) offers passengers a number of different lounges.

This thread, is specifically for the Al Safwa First Class Lounge. Information on the other Lounge options at HIA, can be found here.

Does Al Safwa have a web page?
Yes: http://www.qatarairways.com/global/e...-al-safwa.page

Dining Menu
https://www.qatarairways.com/content...-dining-en.pdf

Where can I find Al Safwa Lounge?
The Lounge is located on Level 3 of the airport.

Can I use the Qatar Airways Al Safwa Lounge?

Access is based on your underlying fare bucket. This means that upgraded tickets, maybe except upgrades with QPoints (see post 2735), are not granted access.

Access is thus restricted to Qatar Airways First Class, and OneWorld First Class passengers :
- either holding a First Class boarding pass* for their next flight
- or holding a First Class boarding pass from their previous flight.

Additionally, Privilege Club platinum club travelling on any business-class fare are welcomed into the lounge. This is a facility introduced recently and one that could just as easily disappear.

- Guests are not permitted.
* Operational Upgrades to First do not give access. Upgrades with Qpoints may do give acces (see post 2735 - Sept 2022)

Arrival access on mid and long haul? (eg. coming from LHR in F)

YES

​​​​​
Ex. CAI-DOH-HEL
Arrival access regional F? (eg. coming from CAI in F)

Yes.
Caveat, if your underlying J fare is P, then the no lounge access for business light kicks in. And there is no access.

Privilege Club Platinum members are currently allowed in the lounge when travelling on any QR business-class fare: that could change. Other Oneworld Emerald members are directed to the Platinum lounge(s) when travelling in any class, and the Al Mourjan lounge when travelling on relevant business-class fares. Yup, it gets complicated.

What does the lounge look like?
Reports on the Lounge, can be found here and here. Photographs of the lounge, can be found here.

Is there a Spa?
Yes, there is a full Spa, but you will have to pay for treatments. A full list of treatments available can be found here

What about the sleeping rooms?
Stargold in http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/28199729-post1177.html suggests that access to sleeping rooms is as follows:
'* No reservations allowed - always first-come first-served
* Only available if the remaining time until the flight departure is more than 4 hours
* Passengers are allowed maximum six hours' usage - for any further usage, a fee of QAR 450 is payable for a second block of six hours.
* No F&B of any kind except bottled water in the sleeping rooms.'

What changes can I expect during Ramadan?
Ramadan affects QR and you in many ways so please look at ramadan to see how you are affected.

Updated: 19/11/2023

Print Wikipost

QR Al Safwa First Class Lounge

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13, 2022, 8:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by darthlemsip
Hello everyone, apologies if I’ve missed this somewhere, but is it still possible to pay to upgrade to Al Safwa if you’re on a business class ticket?

I know you used to be able to, and I have a 3 hour layover coming back from MEL coming up - so would be nice to go there again
Unless you are traveling at a "P" fare class ticket, yes, you could upgrade to Al Safwa at the entrance of Al Safwa for QAR 650 ( about $180 ).
Although a reminder that paid access would only allow you 6 hours in Al Safwa and after that time exceeds, you either need to pay again the QAR 650 or move to Al Mourjan. I know that your layover is 3h, but wrote this just in case other members get this post as a reference.
Old Feb 13, 2022, 7:32 pm

Programs: OZ & BA Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott & Accor Plat
Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
Unless you are traveling at a "P" fare class ticket, yes, you could upgrade to Al Safwa at the entrance of Al Safwa for QAR 650 ( about $180 ).
Although a reminder that paid access would only allow you 6 hours in Al Safwa and after that time exceeds, you either need to pay again the QAR 650 or move to Al Mourjan. I know that your layover is 3h, but wrote this just in case other members get this post as a reference.
Any idea how rigidly they control this 6 hours?
Old Feb 13, 2022, 7:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by Bobdh13
Any idea how rigidly they control this 6 hours?
Al Safwa is not a crowded lounge, staff would be aware of who is who and once the time is over they would kindly ask you to leave.
Bobdh13 likes this.
Old Feb 13, 2022, 8:02 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
Thank you kindly
ISTFlyer likes this.
Old Feb 15, 2022, 7:54 am

Programs: CX DM, BA G4L, QR PLT, EK PLT, Hyatt CourtesyC, HH DM, SQ PPS, BonvoyTit, UK, VS, UA, DL, AA
Anyone tried to new menu? Any recommendations specially for the desserts?
Old Feb 16, 2022, 12:28 am

Programs: PC(QR), IB, CX Marco Polo, SAA Voyager
Would like to use the shower facilities at Al Safwa. Can someone please remind us (1) where these are situated and (2) if body cream is provided? Many thanks.
Old Feb 16, 2022, 2:44 pm

Originally Posted by avm2806
Was there maybe 5 days ago? The crème brûlée with pasta in tasted just like what it says. Would NOT choose it over regular crème brûlée. The baked apple was good but it needs much more than a tiny spoonful of vanilla ice cream with it.
Old Feb 16, 2022, 10:28 pm

Programs: EK Gold, QR Gold, WY Gold, Delta Silver Medallion
Was there 10 days ago. The showers are either in the toilets next to the family rooms, and inside the private rooms that you get six-hour access to. You get lotions, a comb, shampoo etc, so you're all set!
Old Feb 16, 2022, 10:29 pm

Programs: EK Gold, QR Gold, WY Gold, Delta Silver Medallion
I'd recommend the Chocolate Lava Cake and the Kunafa. It was lovely.
Old Feb 16, 2022, 11:22 pm

Programs: PC(QR), IB, CX Marco Polo, SAA Voyager
Much indebted to qraec777 for the quick reply.
Old Feb 17, 2022, 11:32 am

Programs: Delta SM
Saffron ice cream is divine.
Old Feb 18, 2022, 6:43 am

Programs: Hyatt Lifetime Globalist
Wife and I worked our way through much of the menu a few days ago. My bottom line is the lounge is a 10 overall, service is 10, and the dinner menu is a 5. The food is in no way remarkable. Food in QR J on the plane is some, to much, better. The filet is better in AM. A shame and I was disappointed (again).
​​​
railways likes this.
Old Feb 18, 2022, 7:28 am

Originally Posted by LoungeLizardHugo
Wife and I worked our way through much of the menu a few days ago. My bottom line is the lounge is a 10 overall, service is 10, and the dinner menu is a 5. The food is in no way remarkable. Food in QR J on the plane is some, to much, better. The filet is better in AM. A shame and I was disappointed (again).
​​​
I agree with all of this. One specific thing bugs me about Al Safwa though- the ambiance in the dining area. It's harsh, bright kitchen lighting. Gentle, soothing lamplight would very much improve the overall feel of the place.
Old Feb 18, 2022, 10:04 am

Is it worth paying for Al Safwa for a 3h Layover? I am on a Business class tkt ( booking class I ). Many thanks
Old Feb 18, 2022, 12:07 pm

Originally Posted by LoungeLizardHugo
​​​
I've always been underwhelmed by the food in Al Safwa. And the fact that if you want a three-course meal (for example), you're better off ordering each course separately, otherwise the food will arrive from the kitchen when it is ready, rather than when you want to eat it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.