Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 5, 2015, 11:11 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: CPH-Flyer
READ BEFORE COMMENTING IF YOU ARE NEW,

Hamad International Airport (HIA) offers passengers a number of different lounges.

This thread, is specifically for the Al Safwa First Class Lounge. Information on the other Lounge options at HIA, can be found here.

Does Al Safwa have a web page?
Yes: http://www.qatarairways.com/global/e...-al-safwa.page

Dining Menu
https://www.qatarairways.com/content...-dining-en.pdf

Where can I find Al Safwa Lounge?
The Lounge is located on Level 3 of the airport.

Can I use the Qatar Airways Al Safwa Lounge?

Access is based on your underlying fare bucket. This means that upgraded tickets, maybe except upgrades with QPoints (see post 2735), are not granted access.

Access is thus restricted to Qatar Airways First Class, and OneWorld First Class passengers :
- either holding a First Class boarding pass* for their next flight
- or holding a First Class boarding pass from their previous flight.

Additionally, Privilege Club platinum club travelling on any business-class fare are welcomed into the lounge. This is a facility introduced recently and one that could just as easily disappear.

- Guests are not permitted.
* Operational Upgrades to First do not give access. Upgrades with Qpoints may do give acces (see post 2735 - Sept 2022)

Arrival access on mid and long haul? (eg. coming from LHR in F)

YES

​​​​​
Ex. CAI-DOH-HEL
Arrival access regional F? (eg. coming from CAI in F)

Yes.
Caveat, if your underlying J fare is P, then the no lounge access for business light kicks in. And there is no access.

Privilege Club Platinum members are currently allowed in the lounge when travelling on any QR business-class fare: that could change. Other Oneworld Emerald members are directed to the Platinum lounge(s) when travelling in any class, and the Al Mourjan lounge when travelling on relevant business-class fares. Yup, it gets complicated.

What does the lounge look like?
Reports on the Lounge, can be found here and here. Photographs of the lounge, can be found here.

Is there a Spa?
Yes, there is a full Spa, but you will have to pay for treatments. A full list of treatments available can be found here

What about the sleeping rooms?
Stargold in http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/28199729-post1177.html suggests that access to sleeping rooms is as follows:
'* No reservations allowed - always first-come first-served
* Only available if the remaining time until the flight departure is more than 4 hours
* Passengers are allowed maximum six hours' usage - for any further usage, a fee of QAR 450 is payable for a second block of six hours.
* No F&B of any kind except bottled water in the sleeping rooms.'

What changes can I expect during Ramadan?
Ramadan affects QR and you in many ways so please look at ramadan to see how you are affected.

Updated: 19/11/2023

Print Wikipost

QR Al Safwa First Class Lounge

Search this Thread

Old Jul 3, 2021, 1:50 pm

Programs: AA Platinum
Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
Yes, pre-pandemic the pool, fitness center, etc... and all amenities were available 7/24.

I love the optimism that you have, however, I wouldn't expect or at least think that everything would be same as pre-COVID when Al Safwa re-opens. As another poster has reported, Al Safwa is under refurbishment at this time and no opening date is set. Plus the latest entry fee for QR Business Class passengers for Al Safwa was $180 for 6 hours ( not $125 ) - at least during first quarter 2020; we have no information if the prices would remain the same when it re-opens.

Also, in Doha and in other airports at that part of the world, there is no meal time differentiation other than breakfast and rest of the day in terms of meal services. You could have a main course any time during the day which includes a full course a-la-carte dinner at 2am in Al Mourjan or Al Safwa ( if it reopens ).

If you ask the same question regarding what is your best option about a month before your travel, you would get a more accurate answer depending on the actual situation rather than speculating and hoping everything would be the same as pre-COVID in 5 months.
Fair points. Thx for the info, good to know that at least pre Covid everything was 24/7.. AM has a la carte dining or were you only referring to AS when you said a la carte? I thought the only sit down and order with table service (non buffet) was AS.. I'll have to go find some reviews on that maybe I am mixing things up.

The hotel is $300 for the night in question for me. I'll check back sooner to the date in the Winter to see where things are at then. $180 is steep but I've always wanted to try AS and its still a good chunk less than the hotel. Doubt I would sleep much as I know I want to Swim and work out before 16 hours on a plane home.

I know AM isnt too shabby of a lounge and I could just "slum it" with no AS and no hotel for 9 hours, well really 7.5 hours if you take out transit time upon arrival and then leaving for the gate to board.
Old Jul 3, 2021, 2:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by happiest_at_40000
Fair points. Thx for the info, good to know that at least pre Covid everything was 24/7.. AM has a la carte dining or were you only referring to AS when you said a la carte? I thought the only sit down and order with table service (non buffet) was AS.. I'll have to go find some reviews on that maybe I am mixing things up.

The hotel is $300 for the night in question for me. I'll check back sooner to the date in the Winter to see where things are at then. $180 is steep but I've always wanted to try AS and its still a good chunk less than the hotel. Doubt I would sleep much as I know I want to Swim and work out before 16 hours on a plane home.

I know AM isnt too shabby of a lounge and I could just "slum it" with no AS and no hotel for 9 hours, well really 7.5 hours if you take out transit time upon arrival and then leaving for the gate to board.
Al Mourjan has a la carte dining and a buffet ( you could get food from both ), I'll add some photos below so that you could see some examples what is offered over there.

Some of the food are from the buffet, some are from the a la carte menu.

Old Jul 3, 2021, 2:14 pm

Programs: Qatar Gold (OWS), Asiana Diamond (*G)
Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
Al Mourjan has a la carte dining and a buffet ( you could get food from both ), I'll add some photos below so that you could see some examples what is offered over there.

Some of the food are from the buffet, some are from the a la carte menu.
I loved the caramel pear crunch!
ISTFlyer likes this.
Old Jul 3, 2021, 2:19 pm

Here is the link to the Al Mourjan a la carte menu which changes every month:
https://www.qatarairways.com/content...dinning-en.pdf
Old Jul 3, 2021, 2:21 pm

Al Mourjan discussion should probably be posted it's own thread but here it goes to answer OP. AM lounge offers both buffet and a la carte.

Buffet side of things, the lounge restaurant has three separate buffets: vegetarian, meat & seafood and desert.

Other end of the lounge offers a la carte serving sandwiches, salads, deserts, etc.

Old Jul 3, 2021, 2:22 pm

Caramel Pear Crunch

Matcha Mousse

Beef Tenderloin (Well Done only, sliced diagonally in the middle)
Old Jul 3, 2021, 2:27 pm

On a separate note, I've noticed QR change their onboard tea supplier from Dilmah to TWG, but was still serving Dilmah in Al Mourjan last month.
Old Jul 3, 2021, 6:16 pm

Thanks for all the pics and info. I want that caramel pear crunch !! I knew AM was massive and a really nice lounge but didnt realize the food opitons were so extensive. 11pm to 8am layover time I'm def leaning towards just saving the money and sticking to AM. Hotel looks nice if I wanted to actually sleep but having a lot of food & booze, maybe a 2-3 hour nap and then spending 2-3 hours swimming and working out is what I am thinking so def. cant see the point of dropping $300 for the hotel. I'll have to see the status of AS closer to November and decide if the upcharge is worth it but def. feeling better about AM between all the good looking food and the lounge chairs for a nap.
ISTFlyer likes this.
Old Aug 17, 2021, 7:58 am

Programs: EY Plat, Accor Plat
Guys, if I'm inbound from AUH in F then out in business to LAX can i get access? i know this used to work in the past, and chance it still might?
Old Aug 17, 2021, 8:05 am

Originally Posted by kelix
Guys, if I'm inbound from AUH in F then out in business to LAX can i get access? i know this used to work in the past, and chance it still might?
Al Safwa is closed UFN. Based on the rules before it closed, you shouldn't be able to access unless you're QRPC Platinum.
Old Aug 17, 2021, 9:57 pm

Programs: EY Plat, Accor Plat
thanks for that. Mourjan it is then
Old Aug 18, 2021, 12:25 am

Originally Posted by realgaga
Al Safwa is closed UFN. Based on the rules before it closed, you shouldn't be able to access unless you're QRPC Platinum.

Per the other thread, it may now be open (though likely not relevant to kelix).
When Qatar Airways Al Safwa Lounge will reopen?
Originally Posted by Neilgcal
A friend I follow was there yesterday and confirmed it reopened that day including spa etc. Still serving Veuve Clicquot Grande Dame for anyone interested.
(Perhaps it’s time to merge these two threads, or close that one?)

Last edited by crackjack; Aug 18, 2021 at 1:24 am
Old Aug 18, 2021, 3:51 am

Sorry if its been asked but just wondering does still cost money to shower at AS ? I think I read an OMAAT review a while back that you have to pay to enter the Spa, the only place with showers.. outside of private rooms. You have to also pay to use the jacuzzi? Just wondering if that maybe has changed. And if one wants to shower then the strategy is to book a private room for free I take it? Can one come and go from the private room as much as they want like do you get a key or will they just let you in and out i.e. Concorde Room cabanas? Just wondering how it works if you want to go have food at the restaurant or leave for an hour to go work out at the Gym at the hotel..
Old Aug 18, 2021, 5:53 am

There are some shower facilities in al safwa that are not in either the private rooms or the spa. You do not have to pay to use them if you have access to the lounge as a whole. The private rooms are yours for only up to 6 hours (if available when you ask for one). You can come and go once you have one but the clock starts from when they first let you in to the room.

Last edited by KingCanute; Aug 18, 2021 at 6:17 am
Old Aug 18, 2021, 3:04 pm

Originally Posted by KingCanute
There are some shower facilities in al safwa that are not in either the private rooms or the spa. You do not have to pay to use them if you have access to the lounge as a whole. The private rooms are yours for only up to 6 hours (if available when you ask for one). You can come and go once you have one but the clock starts from when they first let you in to the room.
Thanks, that is helpful.. Do you get a key to the room or you have to ask someone to lock it for you and let you know each time you come and go , say to use the gym then to get some food and then get back in to take Nap.

If i had 12 hours i'd do the gym and eat separate from the private room but i have a 8 hour layover and by the time i cut out getting to the lounge and leaving an hour early to the gate I figure I will end up with 6 hours exactly at AS so why not just get the room for the entire time and be able to keep my stuff there and not have to lug it with me to the dining area or to the gym.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.