Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 5, 2015, 11:11 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: CPH-Flyer
READ BEFORE COMMENTING IF YOU ARE NEW,

Hamad International Airport (HIA) offers passengers a number of different lounges.

This thread, is specifically for the Al Safwa First Class Lounge. Information on the other Lounge options at HIA, can be found here.

Does Al Safwa have a web page?
Yes: http://www.qatarairways.com/global/e...-al-safwa.page

Dining Menu
https://www.qatarairways.com/content...-dining-en.pdf

Where can I find Al Safwa Lounge?
The Lounge is located on Level 3 of the airport.

Can I use the Qatar Airways Al Safwa Lounge?

Access is based on your underlying fare bucket. This means that upgraded tickets, maybe except upgrades with QPoints (see post 2735), are not granted access.

Access is thus restricted to Qatar Airways First Class, and OneWorld First Class passengers :
- either holding a First Class boarding pass* for their next flight
- or holding a First Class boarding pass from their previous flight.

Additionally, Privilege Club platinum club travelling on any business-class fare are welcomed into the lounge. This is a facility introduced recently and one that could just as easily disappear.

- Guests are not permitted.
* Operational Upgrades to First do not give access. Upgrades with Qpoints may do give acces (see post 2735 - Sept 2022)

Arrival access on mid and long haul? (eg. coming from LHR in F)

YES

​​​​​
Ex. CAI-DOH-HEL
Arrival access regional F? (eg. coming from CAI in F)

Yes.
Caveat, if your underlying J fare is P, then the no lounge access for business light kicks in. And there is no access.

Privilege Club Platinum members are currently allowed in the lounge when travelling on any QR business-class fare: that could change. Other Oneworld Emerald members are directed to the Platinum lounge(s) when travelling in any class, and the Al Mourjan lounge when travelling on relevant business-class fares. Yup, it gets complicated.

What does the lounge look like?
Reports on the Lounge, can be found here and here. Photographs of the lounge, can be found here.

Is there a Spa?
Yes, there is a full Spa, but you will have to pay for treatments. A full list of treatments available can be found here

What about the sleeping rooms?
Stargold in http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/28199729-post1177.html suggests that access to sleeping rooms is as follows:
'* No reservations allowed - always first-come first-served
* Only available if the remaining time until the flight departure is more than 4 hours
* Passengers are allowed maximum six hours' usage - for any further usage, a fee of QAR 450 is payable for a second block of six hours.
* No F&B of any kind except bottled water in the sleeping rooms.'

What changes can I expect during Ramadan?
Ramadan affects QR and you in many ways so please look at ramadan to see how you are affected.

Updated: 19/11/2023

Print Wikipost

QR Al Safwa First Class Lounge

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26, 2021, 12:43 pm

Programs: AA Platinum
Originally Posted by stargold
Just be very careful to check whether AA has re-issued your ticket properly following the class change. I read a thread on the AAdvantage forum a few days ago (can't find it anymore) where the poster nearly didn't the QR flight ex-JFK because AA had not reissued the ticket so there was a ticket and booking mismatch. If necessary, call QR to check that everything is okay from their end.
How I do see if my ticket number changed? I have to go to the original email to find the ticket number but the ticket number isnt displayed on the app inside the res is it?

Actually something looks weird... when I open the res. on AA it says "cant display details... please call customer service". Something def. happened due to the reclassification from J to F.

However, I called QR last night and got through and was able to get the 3K seat on both short legs back how I had it and the trip is confirmed and on QR site also it looks all good.

On AA it does say ticketed btw but does have the message I mentioned above.. So I should call into AA?

Was curious on the situation you read in the other thread, what exactly happened- the person lost their res/flight and couldnt board?
Old Jun 26, 2021, 12:49 pm

Originally Posted by mileageking
Agree hence my post/question above. Waiting for OP to confirm.
Sorry I forgot to respond to you when you brought up the new ticket number last night. Appreciate you mentioning it. Just not sure how to see the new ticket number if there is one, especially since AA site & app is saying "we cant display your details, please call.."
Old Jun 26, 2021, 2:56 pm

Originally Posted by happiest_at_40000
How I do see if my ticket number changed? I have to go to the original email to find the ticket number but the ticket number isnt displayed on the app inside the res is it?

Actually something looks weird... when I open the res. on AA it says "cant display details... please call customer service". Something def. happened due to the reclassification from J to F.

However, I called QR last night and got through and was able to get the 3K seat on both short legs back how I had it and the trip is confirmed and on QR site also it looks all good.

On AA it does say ticketed btw but does have the message I mentioned above.. So I should call into AA?

Was curious on the situation you read in the other thread, what exactly happened- the person lost their res/flight and couldnt board?
Yes, call and make sure that the ticket has been re-issued with the correct class.

The other thread, the poster originally booked the connecting flight in Y and then found space so changed the booking to J, but AA did not reissue the ticket so the poster turned up at JFK for the 1:30am QR flight and QR was saying they could not check him in until it has been reissued by AA. Poster had to call the Australian number in order to get it reissued and narrowly made it onto the flight.
Old Jun 26, 2021, 4:05 pm

Sorry I forgot to respond to you when you brought up the new ticket number last night. Appreciate you mentioning it. Just not sure how to see the new ticket number if there is one, especially since AA site & app is saying "we cant display your details, please call.."
All good. It should show in the confirmation email, at the bottom under receipt section. Although may not appear in award reservations. Agree with stargold to contact AA. Twitter is an option too and request both old and new.
Old Jun 26, 2021, 6:19 pm

Originally Posted by mileageking
All good. It should show in the confirmation email, at the bottom under receipt section. Although may not appear in award reservations. Agree with stargold to contact AA. Twitter is an option too and request both old and new.
Do see the ticket number on email receipt. However, no way to check the current ticket number as i cant even get past the main page as it says no details can be displayed. I'll call in later on when hopefully hold times arent as bad.

Pretty lame that a simple J to F switch means I lose seats on the flight, cant get them back with out calling into QR and then now have to call AA to get them to fix the res. on their end so there are no issues down the road.
mileageking likes this.
Old Jun 27, 2021, 2:32 pm

Programs: Mucci, Untappd 8000+
Again, I asked front desk at Al Mourjan today when Al Safwa would reopen.
They tell me rumour is next month.
In May they assured me it would be at the end of June.
Take it for what it’s worth.
ISTFlyer likes this.
Old Jun 28, 2021, 3:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by Sandy Hopper
Again, I asked front desk at Al Mourjan today when Al Safwa would reopen.
They tell me rumour is next month.
In May they assured me it would be at the end of June.
Take it for what it’s worth.
The established rumour is "next month". It will remain "next month" until the lounge re-opens.

We went through the same extended circus of rumours, the same Safwa-anxiety in these threads, before the lounge's grand opening.
Traveller999 and ISTFlyer like this.
Old Jun 30, 2021, 2:24 pm

For what it's worth, I was in DOH this week and spoke to one of the staff who said that Al Safwa will reopen when the "refurbishment" is complete. They also stated that QR is building a new lounge in the upcoming section of the airport currently being built. That's the first I heard of either thing!
Old Jun 30, 2021, 2:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by maestro1981
For what it's worth, I was in DOH this week and spoke to one of the staff who said that Al Safwa will reopen when the "refurbishment" is complete. They also stated that QR is building a new lounge in the upcoming section of the airport currently being built. That's the first I heard of either thing!
I was not aware of any Al Safwa refurbishment, however, I knew a few years ago that QR would open (a) new lounge(s) at the North Duty Free area ( the one near D and E gates ) when the expansion is complete; however, I have no idea about the concept of the lounge(s) that would open in the North Duty Free area.
Old Jun 30, 2021, 7:22 pm

Programs: QR Platinum, TK Elite
Angry

Thx for the link. I'm happy with the change. I have 7 hours layover in from LA and was maybe considering the hotel but for 7 hours and now with Al Safwa access there is no reason at all to get the hotel. Just pay to use the pool and gym and can get the private room at the lounge for a shower and maybe quick nap.

I just think its weird they took the seats away and furthermore QR wont allow me to get a seat online
Email from Oryx Hotel: We regret to inform you that the Gym, Swimming pool, Hydrotherapy tub and SPA are closed for an uncertain period of time! This measure has been implemented as part of the Covid-19 regulations issued by the State of Qatar, therefore we are thankful for your understanding.
Old Jul 1, 2021, 7:11 am

Originally Posted by roadwarriorafrica
Email from Oryx Hotel: We regret to inform you that the Gym, Swimming pool, Hydrotherapy tub and SPA are closed for an uncertain period of time! This measure has been implemented as part of the Covid-19 regulations issued by the State of Qatar, therefore we are thankful for your understanding.
(Not on topic, so hopefully mods have a better place to put this). But... staying there in a week, and this would be quite disappointing! One of the reasons we booked there (4 of us) vs. just roughing it in the lounge overnight was for access (at 175/person, the gym/pool access cost makes up 50% of the room cost!). Wonder if the hotel will offer some compensation of sorts... I guess I'll see.
Old Jul 2, 2021, 11:06 am

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by dave_261
(Not on topic, so hopefully mods have a better place to put this). But... staying there in a week, and this would be quite disappointing! One of the reasons we booked there (4 of us) vs. just roughing it in the lounge overnight was for access (at 175/person, the gym/pool access cost makes up 50% of the room cost!). Wonder if the hotel will offer some compensation of sorts... I guess I'll see.
A surprising change. It was open earlier in the year.
Old Jul 3, 2021, 2:30 am

Pre pandemic does anyone know if the Pool and fitness center at the hotel were 24 hours or if not what their hours were. I cant seem to find that. Thx..

Also, in deciding between paying for the Al Safwa up charge Vs. getting a room at the hotel is the time of layover really the deciding factor. 6 hours and less the hotel doesnt seem viable. 12 hours plus I feel personally the hotel would make sense I have a 9 hour exact layover, right smack in the middle of what I was using to decide. Coming in from Dubai 11pm, leaving 8am to LAX. This is in 5 months so hoping Al Safwa is open by then.

Never been to DOH before so just curious what makes sense for a 9 hours at that time of day (night). My goal would be to Swim and work out and have some food & good booze. Maybe a 3 hour nap or so.

If Al Safwa was $125 ish how it used apparently it be it might be an easier decision but still leaning towards just paying the $200 it seems to be now and can get a private room for 6 hours to throw my stuff in and go to the gym/pool and then shower and nap in.

Be curious to know if the food service and what i can get at the a la carte sit down is not quite as good in the middle of the night or is it still as good as day time then

Thx in advance.
Old Jul 3, 2021, 3:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Pre pandemic does anyone know if the Pool and fitness center at the hotel were 24 hours or if not what their hours were. I cant seem to find that. Thx..

Also, in deciding between paying for the Al Safwa up charge Vs. getting a room at the hotel is the time of layover really the deciding factor. 6 hours and less the hotel doesnt seem viable. 12 hours plus I feel personally the hotel would make sense I have a 9 hour exact layover, right smack in the middle of what I was using to decide. Coming in from Dubai 11pm, leaving 8am to LAX. This is in 5 months so hoping Al Safwa is open by then.

Never been to DOH before so just curious what makes sense for a 9 hours at that time of day (night). My goal would be to Swim and work out and have some food & good booze. Maybe a 3 hour nap or so.

If Al Safwa was $125 ish how it used apparently it be it might be an easier decision but still leaning towards just paying the $200 it seems to be now and can get a private room for 6 hours to throw my stuff in and go to the gym/pool and then shower and nap in.

Be curious to know if the food service and what i can get at the a la carte sit down is not quite as good in the middle of the night or is it still as good as day time then

Thx in advance.
Yes, pre-pandemic the pool, fitness center, etc... and all amenities were available 7/24.

I love the optimism that you have, however, I wouldn't expect or at least think that everything would be same as pre-COVID when Al Safwa re-opens. As another poster has reported, Al Safwa is under refurbishment at this time and no opening date is set. Plus the latest entry fee for QR Business Class passengers for Al Safwa was $180 for 6 hours ( not $125 ) - at least during first quarter 2020; we have no information if the prices would remain the same when it re-opens.

Also, in Doha and in other airports at that part of the world, there is no meal time differentiation other than breakfast and rest of the day in terms of meal services. You could have a main course any time during the day which includes a full course a-la-carte dinner at 2am in Al Mourjan or Al Safwa ( if it reopens ).

If you ask the same question regarding what is your best option about a month before your travel, you would get a more accurate answer depending on the actual situation rather than speculating and hoping everything would be the same as pre-COVID in 5 months.
DiamondMile likes this.
Old Jul 3, 2021, 9:11 am

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Spire

Thx in advance.
Usually my layovers are short, but I have had two 9 hour layovers in Doha this year. On the first one I was able to book the hotel. Just this week the flight changed last minute to the long layover and I wasn’t able to get the room. When I had the room I was able to take a nap, get some food delivered, swim, and relax by the pool. Without the room, I was still able to shower, ate some food, and then went for a two hour exercise walk around the airport. All what you make of it I suppose, but I would have much preferred the hotel room for privacy and a real bed. Having said that, I am a bit jaded on business class lounges in general, and lots of the time I will choose to spend my time in a pay restaurant so take that with a grain of salt…

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.