Old Nov 5, 2015, 11:11 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: CPH-Flyer
READ BEFORE COMMENTING IF YOU ARE NEW,

Hamad International Airport (HIA) offers passengers a number of different lounges.

This thread, is specifically for the Al Safwa First Class Lounge. Information on the other Lounge options at HIA, can be found here.

Does Al Safwa have a web page?
Yes: http://www.qatarairways.com/global/e...-al-safwa.page

Dining Menu
https://www.qatarairways.com/content...-dining-en.pdf

Where can I find Al Safwa Lounge?
The Lounge is located on Level 3 of the airport.

Can I use the Qatar Airways Al Safwa Lounge?

Access is based on your underlying fare bucket. This means that upgraded tickets, maybe except upgrades with QPoints (see post 2735), are not granted access.

Access is thus restricted to Qatar Airways First Class, and OneWorld First Class passengers :
- either holding a First Class boarding pass* for their next flight
- or holding a First Class boarding pass from their previous flight.

Additionally, Privilege Club platinum club travelling on any business-class fare are welcomed into the lounge. This is a facility introduced recently and one that could just as easily disappear.

- Guests are not permitted.
* Operational Upgrades to First do not give access. Upgrades with Qpoints may do give acces (see post 2735 - Sept 2022)

Arrival access on mid and long haul? (eg. coming from LHR in F)

YES

​​​​​
Ex. CAI-DOH-HEL
Arrival access regional F? (eg. coming from CAI in F)

Yes.
Caveat, if your underlying J fare is P, then the no lounge access for business light kicks in. And there is no access.

Privilege Club Platinum members are currently allowed in the lounge when travelling on any QR business-class fare: that could change. Other Oneworld Emerald members are directed to the Platinum lounge(s) when travelling in any class, and the Al Mourjan lounge when travelling on relevant business-class fares. Yup, it gets complicated.

What does the lounge look like?
Reports on the Lounge, can be found here and here. Photographs of the lounge, can be found here.

Is there a Spa?
Yes, there is a full Spa, but you will have to pay for treatments. A full list of treatments available can be found here

What about the sleeping rooms?
Stargold in http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/28199729-post1177.html suggests that access to sleeping rooms is as follows:
'* No reservations allowed - always first-come first-served
* Only available if the remaining time until the flight departure is more than 4 hours
* Passengers are allowed maximum six hours' usage - for any further usage, a fee of QAR 450 is payable for a second block of six hours.
* No F&B of any kind except bottled water in the sleeping rooms.'

What changes can I expect during Ramadan?
Ramadan affects QR and you in many ways so please look at ramadan to see how you are affected.

Updated: 19/11/2023

Print Wikipost

QR Al Safwa First Class Lounge

Old Nov 5, 2019, 11:11 am
R2

The lounge itself has no time limit if you're travelling in F, however the sleeping rooms do have a limit of 6 hours. I don't know if this is enforced though.
Old Nov 6, 2019, 12:24 am

Programs: QR PC Platinum, TK M&S elite, UA silver, ITA Voltaire Executive (lol), Marriott Bonvoy Platinum
Anyone know if there’s a time limit enforced for a Plat traveling in J?
Old Nov 6, 2019, 1:58 am

Programs: qatar airways platinum
Originally Posted by R2
The lounge itself has no time limit if you're travelling in F, however the sleeping rooms do have a limit of 6 hours. I don't know if this is enforced though.
The twice I have flown regional F , it was made clear that I had use of the room for 6 hours. I left the room before the 6 hours was up. You can use the lounge for as long as you want.
Old Nov 8, 2019, 7:44 pm

Programs: Seigneur des Tarifs Utils First Class Mucci with Honours :) - BA GGL / CCR
Originally Posted by celtic_warrior
The twice I have flown regional F , it was made clear that I had use of the room for 6 hours. I left the room before the 6 hours was up. You can use the lounge for as long as you want.
I flew on a full F ticket to FRA from DOH and was informed strictly 6 hours, I am guessing that this will get worse with the QRPC Emeralds getting access now

Food for breakfast is poor but the rooms are the best part
Old Nov 9, 2019, 7:53 am

Programs: QR PC Platinum, TK M&S elite, UA silver, ITA Voltaire Executive (lol), Marriott Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by cgtechuk
I flew on a full F ticket to FRA from DOH and was informed strictly 6 hours, I am guessing that this will get worse with the QRPC Emeralds getting access now

Food for breakfast is poor but the rooms are the best part
How long was your layover? I was there wed-Thursday on an 8ish hour layover and no one informed me of a time limit for a sleeping room. Tbf I only spent a max of 4ish hours in one. Also, out of the 12(?) rooms, I only think a max of 3 included me were being used.
Old Nov 9, 2019, 8:03 am

Programs: Seigneur des Tarifs Utils First Class Mucci with Honours :) - BA GGL / CCR
Originally Posted by fender5787
How long was your layover? I was there wed-Thursday on an 8ish hour layover and no one informed me of a time limit for a sleeping room. Tbf I only spent a max of 4ish hours in one. Also, out of the 12(?) rooms, I only think a max of 3 included me were being used.

9 hours overall was 11pm to 8am was informed it was 6 hour limit and he recommended I have a drink first then go back and get a room so I could sleep later.

Very odd.
Old Nov 9, 2019, 8:09 am

Programs: Some
I have flown e.g. BKK-CDG all in F as QR Plat before and had someone knocking on the door after 6 hrs and 10 minutes as I was collecting my things to remind me I needed to leave. They definitely were very serious about the time limit historically!

Staff in DOH generally follow the exact rules to the letter.
Old Nov 9, 2019, 3:13 pm

Programs: VS FC Gold, BA EC Gold, Amex Centurion, EK Gold, ex-G-ATVK driver
Originally Posted by Tokyoite
I expect absolutely no limit if you are traveling in F and have the boarding pass in hand.
I did a back to back on BA F LHR-DOH-LHR with a 26 hour airside layover. You won’t be able to access any lounge or the airside hotel without an ongoing boarding pass, but you can go through transit security without one.

As BA won’t check you in until T-24, I sat at an airside bar for a while, and then made my way to Al Safwa at T-24. For some reason I was unable to check in online on my mobile device, and the Al Safwa lounge desk couldn’t check me in either, so they let me use the computer/printer set up inside Al Safwa and I checked myself in there and printed my own boarding card.

I then spent the best part of a day splitting my time between Al Safwa and my airside hotel room. I don’t particularly recommend the Al Safwa bedrooms myself. While they’re very clean, there are no amenities, not even bottled water when I’ve used them (or even a glass!). I also found it difficult to sleep, the single bed isn’t exactly luxurious, and it’s a basic 3* hotel room. The airside hotel is far better IMHO, particularly the bed, although take noise cancelling devices wherever you sleep.

I also agree that the food in Al Safwa, while generally presented well, is mediocre at best, but the wine can be good, and the barmen (and it is always men) on my recent visits have been excellent, with a few off menu bottles. Sitting at the bar is pretty convivial, although the cocktail selection is limited.

If you’ve never been there, I recommend Al Safwa just for the bucket list. It is a one off when it comes to opulence .
chinhk likes this.

Last edited by Howard Long; Nov 9, 2019 at 3:25 pm
Old Nov 9, 2019, 4:15 pm

Originally Posted by Howard Long
I then spent the best part of a day splitting my time between Al Safwa and my airside hotel room. I don’t particularly recommend the Al Safwa bedrooms myself. While they’re very clean, there are no amenities, not even bottled water when I’ve used them (or even a glass!). I also found it difficult to sleep, the single bed isn’t exactly luxurious, and it’s a basic 3* hotel room. The airside hotel is far better IMHO, particularly the bed, although take noise cancelling devices wherever you sleep.

I also agree that the food in Al Safwa, while generally presented well, is mediocre at best, but the wine can be good, and the barmen (and it is always men) on my recent visits have been excellent, with a few off menu bottles. Sitting at the bar is pretty convivial, although the cocktail selection is limited.

If you’ve never been there, I recommend Al Safwa just for the bucket list. It is a one off when it comes to opulence .
Hmmm so yes there weren’t any glasses waiting for me, when I used the bedrooms a few days ago there was a bottle of still and a bottle sparkling water waiting for me (they were quite clear no food or drinks allowed aside from water though). And I agree the rooms aren’t the st Regis, and it’s just a single twin bed, I’d def wouldn’t call it equal to a 3 star hotel (imho the rooms a def a step up from a courtyard or garden inn, etc.). I’d call them a solid 4 star room and completely adequate for getting some sleep between flights. I do agree with the food not being what one would except from a lounge, but I feel it’s more because they are forced to microwave and re-heat all their items rather than cook them on premise. And will say the bar men are pretty great and ensured my glass of hibiki master selection was never empty and indulged my semi-drunken conversation-making about what it’s like to work for QR and living in Doha in the middle of being quite busy taking care of other pax .
Old Nov 9, 2019, 8:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by Howard Long
I don’t particularly recommend the Al Safwa bedrooms myself. While they’re very clean, there are no amenities, not even bottled water when I’ve used them (or even a glass!). I also found it difficult to sleep, the single bed isn’t exactly luxurious, and it’s a basic 3* hotel room. The airside hotel is far better IMHO, particularly the bed, although take noise cancelling devices wherever you sleep.
Originally Posted by fender5787
And I agree the rooms aren’t the st Regis, and it’s just a single twin bed, I’d def wouldn’t call it equal to a 3 star hotel (imho the rooms a def a step up from a courtyard or garden inn, etc.). I’d call them a solid 4 star room and completely adequate for getting some sleep between flights.
Most significantly, however, the sleeping rooms may only be adequate, but they're free.
Old Nov 10, 2019, 3:21 am

Programs: QR Gold, BAEC, Marriott Rewards Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
Most significantly, however, the sleeping rooms may only be adequate, but they're free.
Absolutely. And more importantly, without being autonomously "5 star" they add significantly to the overall lounge experience, raising it above most others.

IMO
Old Nov 10, 2019, 4:06 am

Programs: VS FC Gold, BA EC Gold, Amex Centurion, EK Gold, ex-G-ATVK driver
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
While that is true, if one’s unable to achieve a reasonable sleep in the bedroom, what’s the point? For me, part of my restlessness is to do with the bed and pillow, the other was the time limit. I’d rather know on an ultra long transit I can come and go as I please, and have a base.

Good to hear they supply water now, I haven’t used the bedrooms for a year or so to be fair for the above reasons. While they would get you a small plastic Evian bottle on request, they’d take twenty minutes to get it, which I found strange considering it’s very close to the spa area. It was another reason for me not to bother in future!
Old Nov 11, 2019, 11:52 pm

I am sure this topic has been mentioned previously

on a recent visit to Al Safwa, it took me forever to connect to the internet

it is perfectly absurd that there is no private wi-fi link in a much-hyped 1st Class lounge
NoY likes this.
Old Nov 12, 2019, 11:49 pm

Programs: Swiss Senator, Flying Blue Gold, BA EC Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by saint77
I am sure this topic has been mentioned previously

on a recent visit to Al Safwa, it took me forever to connect to the internet

it is perfectly absurd that there is no private wi-fi link in a much-hyped 1st Class lounge
I’ve complained about it in the Al Mourjan thread but find it incredible that they are able to pull off $150 champagne but not a separate router for a first class lounge.
NoY likes this.
Old Nov 13, 2019, 1:35 am
NoY

Programs: SQ *Gold, BA, QR, EY, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Chris0815
I’ve complained about it in the Al Mourjan thread but find it incredible that they are able to pull off $150 champagne but not a separate router for a first class lounge.
You'll find that management don't consider it a priority. Laughable really. There are plenty that will defend the situation though

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.