Old Nov 5, 2015, 11:11 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: CPH-Flyer
READ BEFORE COMMENTING IF YOU ARE NEW,

Hamad International Airport (HIA) offers passengers a number of different lounges.

This thread, is specifically for the Al Safwa First Class Lounge. Information on the other Lounge options at HIA, can be found here.

Does Al Safwa have a web page?
Yes: http://www.qatarairways.com/global/e...-al-safwa.page

Dining Menu
https://www.qatarairways.com/content...-dining-en.pdf

Where can I find Al Safwa Lounge?
The Lounge is located on Level 3 of the airport.

Can I use the Qatar Airways Al Safwa Lounge?

Access is based on your underlying fare bucket. This means that upgraded tickets, maybe except upgrades with QPoints (see post 2735), are not granted access.

Access is thus restricted to Qatar Airways First Class, and OneWorld First Class passengers :
- either holding a First Class boarding pass* for their next flight
- or holding a First Class boarding pass from their previous flight.

Additionally, Privilege Club platinum club travelling on any business-class fare are welcomed into the lounge. This is a facility introduced recently and one that could just as easily disappear.

- Guests are not permitted.
* Operational Upgrades to First do not give access. Upgrades with Qpoints may do give acces (see post 2735 - Sept 2022)

Arrival access on mid and long haul? (eg. coming from LHR in F)

YES

​​​​​
Ex. CAI-DOH-HEL
Arrival access regional F? (eg. coming from CAI in F)

Yes.
Caveat, if your underlying J fare is P, then the no lounge access for business light kicks in. And there is no access.

Privilege Club Platinum members are currently allowed in the lounge when travelling on any QR business-class fare: that could change. Other Oneworld Emerald members are directed to the Platinum lounge(s) when travelling in any class, and the Al Mourjan lounge when travelling on relevant business-class fares. Yup, it gets complicated.

What does the lounge look like?
Reports on the Lounge, can be found here and here. Photographs of the lounge, can be found here.

Is there a Spa?
Yes, there is a full Spa, but you will have to pay for treatments. A full list of treatments available can be found here

What about the sleeping rooms?
Stargold in http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/28199729-post1177.html suggests that access to sleeping rooms is as follows:
'* No reservations allowed - always first-come first-served
* Only available if the remaining time until the flight departure is more than 4 hours
* Passengers are allowed maximum six hours' usage - for any further usage, a fee of QAR 450 is payable for a second block of six hours.
* No F&B of any kind except bottled water in the sleeping rooms.'

What changes can I expect during Ramadan?
Ramadan affects QR and you in many ways so please look at ramadan to see how you are affected.

Updated: 19/11/2023

Print Wikipost

QR Al Safwa First Class Lounge

Old May 17, 2019, 3:14 pm

Programs: QR Platinum, WY Gold, Shangri-la Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by AlwaysOnTheRoad
Flying LHR-DOH in F arriving 1855. Next day 0740 flight in J DOH-IST. Can I access AS on arrival. What about the next morning... which lounge can I access?
My understanding is that you would only be permitted access to Al Safwa if you arrive in long haul F with a connection of less than 8 hours... I'm sure someone will correct me if this is wrong - and sorry to be the bearer of bad news otherwise.
Old May 17, 2019, 9:49 pm

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by purple1addict

My understanding is that you would only be permitted access to Al Safwa if you arrive in long haul F with a connection of less than 8 hours... I'm sure someone will correct me if this is wrong - and sorry to be the bearer of bad news otherwise.
Yes, that was the rule previously although occasionally it wouldnt be followed. I dont think weve had a report recently of anyone trying this so who knows if it still exists now that anyone in J can buy access.
purple1addict likes this.
Old May 22, 2019, 4:33 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Originally Posted by lost_in_translation
Yes, that was the rule previously although occasionally it wouldn’t be followed. I don’t think we’ve had a report recently of anyone trying this so who knows if it still exists now that anyone in J can buy access.
One of the main ramifications (one might say the most significant outcome) of the ‘charging system’ is that it provides the easiest possible solution for staff confronted by anything that could be considered a grey area in terms of permitted access.

So ..... if anyone turns up pleading their case but their individual circumstances do not precisely meet the strict criteria, then lounge staff will happily deny access but promptly offer the pay-to-enter option (if applicable).
Old May 24, 2019, 10:07 pm

Programs: QF, AS, BA, SQ, CX, IB
Recently my wife and I flew QR first from CDG to PER with a short stop in DOH, and having experienced fabulous first class lounges with CX, LH and QF we were keen to experience the much vaunted Al Safwa. Unfortunately it is a lengthy walk from the gate. On arrival we were greeted by very eager and pleasant staff at reception, the restaurant and even in the toilets, but it was a thoroughly bizarre experience. The 2 of us were the only passengers in the cavernous marble lined hall of a lounge which had at least 15 staff wandering around looking for something to do. At one stage we attempted to connect our tablets to WiFi, it just wouldn't connect. During the attempts no less than 3 staff were simultaneously assisting us, which was a nice change from many other lounge staff in Europe, but showed how desperate they are to actually have some interaction with customers. The restaurant had a seemingly reasonable menu, but the food was very pedestrian quality, particularly the bread was dry and tasteless, verging on stale. The lamb overcooked and the vegetables grey and uninspiring , reminiscent of how my mum cooked them in the 60's. I think I would only use this lounge in future if we had a substantially longer transit and needed a quiet day-bed area. We had tried the Al Mourjain lounge previously and found it also uninspiring particularly in the multiple food outlets, all of which had stale pastries and sweets. And minimal western choices available. Compared to CX, LH and even LX these Doha lounges were disappointing, despite the money QR spent on constructing and manning them. Whereas the QR business/first lounge in CDG was fresh, inviting and with tasty well handled food in the restaurant.
NoY, sl00001, mikewhyatt and 3 others like this.
Old May 25, 2019, 2:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by relaxonbarton
We had tried the Al Mourjain lounge previously and found it also uninspiring particularly in the multiple food outlets, all of which had stale pastries and sweets.
Pastries and sweets in Al Mourjan are the same throughout the lounge, and, AFAICT, the same as in Al Safwa. I'm surprised that you found the deli uninspiring. The sandwiches are freshly made to order; I particularly like the grilled tomato and mozzarella, which is always still hot when I receive it.
Old May 25, 2019, 2:21 am
Marriott Contributor BadgeAman Contributor Badge

I'm surprised to hear the sweets are stale! I personally love the Arab sweets they have, though I haven't visited AM in last September having had practically the shortest connections ever on my most recent trips.
Old May 25, 2019, 6:17 am

Programs: Qatar Airways Privilege Club Platinum; Accor Le Club Platinum
I don’t think the Arab sweets are stale. I just think they use too much shortening in the pastry, which can give it a stale taste. Anyways, it’s not like QR uses real school trained chefs in the kitchen. Otherwise, they would have some basic confidence to make a basic pan seared steak.
Traveller999 and AnaTravel like this.
Old May 25, 2019, 6:34 am

Originally Posted by relaxonbarton
The restaurant had a seemingly reasonable menu, but the food was very pedestrian quality, particularly the bread was dry and tasteless, verging on stale. The lamb overcooked and the vegetables grey and uninspiring , reminiscent of how my mum cooked them in the 60's. I think I would only use this lounge in future if we had a substantially longer transit and needed a quiet day-bed area. .
I agree that the food is mediocre in Al Safwa. Chefs struggle to cook an over easy egg at breakfast. The rest of the day isn't much better. The staff in the lounge are the best I have ever encountered. From check in to the waiting staff - superb. I love the space and lack of people. The sleeping rooms are clean and comfortable. Great shower too. Al Mourjan has better food, in my opinion.
subject2load and Traveller999 like this.
Old May 25, 2019, 12:53 pm

Am very much in agreement with AnaTravel’s perspective here.

Specifically re catering : am conscious that Al Safwa food is not regarded as exceptional, though nor do I recognise the very poor quality as described by relaxonbarton. But in fairness, each to his own and you can only speak as you find.

All said & done, airport lounges - even the most luxurious - do not present themselves as high-end restaurants and they are, in essence, ultimately intended as waiting rooms in which to relax (or sometimes work !) ahead of a flight. And by that measure, I consider Al Safwa an excellent facility in terms of comfort, space, calm - and service (if actually needed). If you have ever used a BA First Class lounge at LHR (esp. T5) during a really busy period, or even their CCR, with noisy types shouting into their mobile, then Al Safwa by comparison is a true oasis.

Last edited by subject2load; May 25, 2019 at 7:32 pm
Old May 26, 2019, 12:51 am

Originally Posted by subject2load
Am very much in agreement with AnaTravels perspective here.

Specifically re catering : am conscious that Al Safwa food is not regarded as exceptional, though nor do I recognise the very poor quality as described by relaxonbarton. But in fairness, each to his own and you can only speak as you find.

All said & done, airport lounges - even the most luxurious - do not present themselves as high-end restaurants and they are, in essence, ultimately intended as waiting rooms in which to relax (or sometimes work !) ahead of a flight. And by that measure, I consider Al Safwa an excellent facility in terms of comfort, space, calm - and service (if actually needed). If you have ever used a BA First Class lounge at LHR (esp. T5) during a really busy period, or even their CCR, with noisy types shouting into their mobile, then Al Safwa by comparison is a true oasis.
1. It seems to be that the only fair BA comparison to the Al Safwa is to the CCR, given the access policy. They do a pretty good job of the catering, at least some of the time. And it is of course a very different environment to the Galleries First.

2. Some other lounges with similar access policies do in fact have considerably better catering; AF La Premiere lounge at CDG is widely known to have an incredible restaurant catered by Alain Ducasse (on my list but haven't been), the LX and LH FCLs have always been on point for meals, and even the EK FCL at T3 has a varied and impressive menu which is really quite good quality. So I would say that Al Safwa is in the minority when it comes to flagship First Class lounges at a home base amongst the top tier of airlines.

I absolutely love the hard product in Al Safwa, but it's equally appropriate to recognise that food quality remains an anomaly, both in terms of high quality on QR generally, and also amongst competitors.
Old May 26, 2019, 2:47 am

@ stargold : good post ^

I can’t speak personally for the likes of AF or LH (though have no reason at all to doubt your word) ..... but I do consider the top lounge facilities offered by, say, CX and EK at their respective home hubs, superior to the equivalent offered by BA. Even QR at LHR T4 (purely as an outstation) puts BA in the shade, IMHO.

So yes, I hear what you say about food quality at Al Safwa. I myself have found the food to be satisfactory for my own needs ‘on the day’, so to speak ; but equally I do acknowledge your point that the catering standards are somewhat out of sync with the very high standard of Al Safwa overall.
AnaTravel likes this.
Old Jun 10, 2019, 7:24 am

I will have an 8 hour layover in Doha in 3 weeks time. I shall be flying QR in business class. Can someone give me the latest news on buying access to Al Safwa lounge? Having read this thread there are differences of opinion as to go direct or go via Al Mourjan and ask them to call ahead for you. I will have an overnight stay in the lounge and the idea of a few hours in a nice bed really does appeal to me. Any advice is most welcome.
Old Jun 10, 2019, 8:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by Leninist
I will have an 8 hour layover in Doha in 3 weeks time. I shall be flying QR in business class. Can someone give me the latest news on buying access to Al Safwa lounge? Having read this thread there are differences of opinion as to go direct or go via Al Mourjan and ask them to call ahead for you. I will have an overnight stay in the lounge and the idea of a few hours in a nice bed really does appeal to me. Any advice is most welcome.
i certainly wouldnt do Al Safwa betting on getting one of the relaxation rooms. I know others have been luckier but in my case Ive never been able to get one (though its usually easy to find space to relax and lay down elsewhere in the lounge.

Last edited by orbitmic; Jun 10, 2019 at 8:53 am
Old Jun 10, 2019, 8:24 am

My thinking is to go to Al Mourjan for them to make contact for me to find out if a bed is available. If not then I have to decide whether it it is worth going.
Old Jun 11, 2019, 12:02 pm

Programs: AA-EXP 2MM
Originally Posted by Leninist
My thinking is to go to Al Mourjan for them to make contact for me to find out if a bed is available. If not then I have to decide whether it it is worth going.
I was there Sunday, June 2nd (evening until 2am) and again on Wednesday, June 5th (12am to 8am) and had the same bed for both visits. Saw a total of maybe 10 guests the entire time. Only time I went to Al Mourjan was Wednesday morning before my flight and it was packed.
Leninist likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.