Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qatar Airways | Privilege Club
Reload this Page >

Anyone else feel short changed from pilots on information

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 4, 2015, 6:45 am
Original Poster

Both of our flights were delayed significantly enough to miss our baggage transfer and last train from HND into Tokyo.

This happens I know but I was most unimpressed with the lack of communication from the pilots and attendants. There was no apology on both flights and no explanation as to what caused the delay. I think we had a brief weather report and that was it.

All in all felt the service was all a bit robotic.
Old Oct 4, 2015, 7:39 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
What difference would it have made. If the Captain had said, "we're cleared to land early, but the crew all thought that it would be fun to do some go arounds while we enjoy our tea, so we're going to be delayed and you will all miss your connections," would that have changed the result?

I know that people get anxious, but the reality is that passengers should focus on the moment as there is nothing they can do to change the process.
Old Oct 5, 2015, 1:37 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Originally Posted by wavery83
Both of our flights were delayed significantly enough to miss our baggage transfer and last train from HND into Tokyo.

This happens I know but I was most unimpressed with the lack of communication from the pilots and attendants. There was no apology on both flights and no explanation as to what caused the delay. I think we had a brief weather report and that was it.

All in all felt the service was all a bit robotic.
I can understand your frustration, and while I agree the Captain or FO ought to have advised a reason for the delay, ultimately there is little they could have done.

Gone seem to be the days where the Captain or FO would announce some sort of information during the flight! However, I am actually pleased that they do not make multiple announcements, as, for the most part, I just want to rest (and not have my IFE interrupted).

Originally Posted by Often1
What difference would it have made. If the Captain had said, "we're cleared to land early, but the crew all thought that it would be fun to do some go arounds while we enjoy our tea, so we're going to be delayed and you will all miss your connections," would that have changed the result?

I know that people get anxious, but the reality is that passengers should focus on the moment as there is nothing they can do to change the process.
I think that's a little harsh Often1, but I do understand your angle.

On three or four of my recent flights with BA, there has been a small delay. The Captain has usually announced that the delay was caused by the late arrival of the inbound aircraft. It is a brilliant excuse, because it tells you pretty much nothing!
Old Oct 5, 2015, 2:05 am
Moderator, Emirates

Programs: BAEC Silver, FB Platinum, KQ Asante Gold, Shebamiles Blue, Emirates Blue
When I last flew QR at the beginning of July from PEK, we pushed back from the gate a couple of minutes early, proceeded to taxi to the runway and then stopped, and waited, moved a little further forward, stopped, waited, waited & waited. In all from gate to runway we took one hour.

From the initial flight deck announcement just before pushback, we received no announcement from then with any explanation as to why it was taking so long to depart.

The man in the seat next to me was getting a bit agitated by lack of information and progress and would imagine there would have been many more behind me feeling the same.

A simple explanation can be all that it takes to calm down anxious passengers.

Tonight I'm looking forward to (not) every announcement in triplicate, Arabic, English & Chinese.....

Safe & Happy Travels

S
Old Oct 5, 2015, 9:53 am

Programs: TK E,*G, A-Club G
I flew AC832 YUL to BRU a few days ago, scheduled for departure at 19.45.
All passengers were seated by 19.40 but captain announced some problems with cargo.
Every 5 minutes we were updated by the captain and we finally left the gate 30 minutes late. It was frustrating the problem went on and on but at least we were informed all the time. Kudos to the captain.

Last July I was flying BRU-FRA-VIE-DOH-HKT and at BRU LH a passenger changed his mind and disembarked. Captain announced handling people needed to identify and remove passengers luggage. That took more time than expected, captain kept us informed and got really upset when he told us we lost our gate at FRA....
Then he announced in a very bad mood we would need to wait 2h more for a new gate to become free...I would miss my connection to VIE then. Well we left our hold a few minutes later and I had no connection problem. I do think the captain should have kept his cool and not show his anger in his announcement. Kudos again to the captain to inform us on the progress with the luggage handlers and control tower.
Old Oct 6, 2015, 7:07 am

Programs: Etihad Gold, Qatar Gold, flying Blue, Falcon, Lufthansa, Eva
Good communication should be a basic part of the airlines offering and it is a shame that all too often airlines think only of the on board service when they think about customer service

many people become anxious with a delay for good reason - they may have another flight and important meeting or whatever and this grows when they are kept in the dark

One of the hardest things for people to say is "I do not know" but honesty and a promise to keep informed works wonders
Old Oct 9, 2015, 6:25 am
Original Poster

Yep agreed with last comments. Totally unacceptable not to be informed. I wasn't anxious but it's nice to know what's going on ffs...instead there were other interruptions which I would argue less relevant to passengers onward travels.

Every BA flight I have been on they have informed the passengers of delays, weather etc. I would have thought that's not too much to ask and basic piloting 101. Even if not in English.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.