FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Qatar Airways | Privilege Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qatar-airways-privilege-club-644/)
-   -   Had a fabulous time in QR 787 J (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qatar-airways-privilege-club/1711222-had-fabulous-time-qr-787-j.html)

iluvdoco Sep 20, 2015 2:19 am

Had a fabulous time in QR 787 J

My first time flying QR's J on their 787 (I've flown QR J on the 777 and QR F on the A380). I was absolutely impressed by the attentive service and fabulous food.

Both the main entrees (veal osso buco and chicken and rice) were exceptionally delicious and beautifully plated. Dessert was a bit disappointing though. I was expecting Laduree.

I don't think there's another airline that comes close to QR's onboard food in taste and presentation.

My pic of the veal osso buco dish below:

http://i60.tinypic.com/257lulv.jpg

I'll post my full TR when I return.

zehbra Sep 20, 2015 2:39 am

Wow, food looks better than my most recent experiences a few months back... Was this ex DOH?

iluvdoco Sep 20, 2015 3:33 am

Originally Posted by zehbra (Post 25451860)
Wow, food looks better than my most recent experiences a few months back... Was this ex DOH?

Nope, MAD-DOH. Heck, the food was better on my MAD-DOH flight in J than it was on my DOH-LHR flight in F (although that may have been due to the breakfast-y selections on the early flight from DOH).

Also, dinner service in Al-Mourjan is so much better than breakfast service. Much better food selections.

msm2000uk Sep 20, 2015 5:36 am

Glad to hear you had a great culinary experience on your recent flight!

QR have spent a fair amount of time and money in ensuring that the food is as good as it can be, 35,000ft above the ground!

I've noticed on my recent flights, that the presentation and flavour have both been excellent - and have far exceeded my expectations.

I would agree that eating in the Al Mourjan restaurant is usually better than on-board, but I think it depends on time of day and destination.

CmonMunster Sep 20, 2015 5:41 am

Can't wait to try out the 787 and the food when I fly QR in December!

ph-ndr Sep 20, 2015 9:24 am

Originally Posted by iluvdoco (Post 25451979)
Nope, MAD-DOH. Heck, the food was better on my MAD-DOH flight in J than it was on my DOH-LHR flight in F (although that may have been due to the breakfast-y selections on the early flight from DOH).

It's a well known thing that catering ex-DOH is 50 shades of crap.

-A

fly747first Sep 20, 2015 9:40 am

Originally Posted by ph-ndr (Post 25452851)
It's a well known thing that catering ex-DOH is 50 shades of crap.

-A

A couple weeks ago, DOH - AUH had excellent catering in F even on such a short leg. I was thrilled because the aircraft was originally A332, changed to 77W about two months out, and then finally changed to the Dreamliner on the day of departure.

christravelblog Sep 20, 2015 9:44 am

Damn looks good!!! i'm going to try in a few weeks myself. Lets see if it will be as per my expectations.

FlyingRhino Sep 21, 2015 6:45 am

Great post, had the same from Doha to Cape Town last Saturday, the smaller J cabin makes the journey a treat, my Paris to Doha on the A380 was a different kettle of fish, not the aircrafts fault more the demanding young passengers and their nannies.

wavery83 Sep 21, 2015 9:05 am

nannies? wow. guess I'll be mixing with the have, have, haves then ;)

wavery83 Sep 21, 2015 9:06 am

Originally Posted by iluvdoco (Post 25451816)
My first time flying QR's J on their 787 (I've flown QR J on the 777 and QR F on the A380). I was absolutely impressed by the attentive service and fabulous food.

Both the main entrees (veal osso buco and chicken and rice) were exceptionally delicious and beautifully plated. Dessert was a bit disappointing though. I was expecting Laduree.

I don't think there's another airline that comes close to QR's onboard food in taste and presentation.

My pic of the veal osso buco dish below:

Looking forward to the TR. The 787 really looks like quiet a plane in J!
http://i60.tinypic.com/257lulv.jpg

I'll post my full TR when I return.

Shareholder Sep 21, 2015 9:48 am

Sorry but that dish looks like a plate of v----. Can't understand all the praise for QR. flew J last week twice and it was a great disappointment. White wines were too acidic and reds too tannic. Food on both segments was mediocre and a. disappointment, as it was in the lounge at DOH. Not to mention the lounge itself was large, impersonal and sterile, lacking of any character (compare with TK's IST lounge which oozes character!). The amenity kit was a bit nothing. About the only thing that was close to five star were the toothbrush packs in the cabin washrooms.

Honestly not looking forward to my return flights this week. (Not to mention miles have yet to post to my AA account.)

wavery83 Sep 21, 2015 1:21 pm

Wow...have you flown BA for food?

I completely agree about the lounge (totally lacking in terms of function and personality) and the food there was totally uninspiring. But you clearly have very high standards for in flight catering and wine!