Search

The Myth of the 777 LFat Bed J Seat

Search this Thread

Old Sep 10, 2015, 7:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
The Myth of the 777 LFat Bed J Seat

So I've been doing a lot of flying on QR J over the past year, ex-US connecting in DOH to DEL or SIN. I like QR. A lot. I'm yet to have anything close to a bad flight.

That said, I must take issue with the notion that the J seats are flat beds. They are not. There is an angle. It is not pronounced, but you do feel it, especially in the leg area. For some reason, when the seat is in a sitting position (either upright or reclined), the legrest can come to the horizontal, but when in bed mode, it does not come up to the same level. The result is a very noticeable drop off.

Does anyone else notice this?
Old Sep 10, 2015, 7:43 am

Next time use the bed macro button, then when the seat is fully flat use the the leg rest button to further tweak the leg rest. I usually am able to get the leg rest up a little more that way.

The seat is slightly higher at the head than the leg as there is less cushioning in the leg rest than the seat pan. Even on EK F you can see this effect in a less pronounced way, the leg rest is lower than the seat pan. You can see the below image that it is fairly flat, but the leg rest's cushioning is lower. The image is rotated so it appears angled down but if you compare the seat with the window line you can see it is straight.

One negative thing I see with the seat is that the leg rest droops a little under the weight of my leg.
Old Sep 10, 2015, 9:52 am

Programs: QR Platinum, EK-Silver, SV-Gold

One negative thing I see with the seat is that the leg rest droops a little under the weight of my leg.
Yep.. my heavy legs pushes it down more than i would like!!

Last edited by tweaked; Sep 10, 2015 at 9:52 am Reason: spelling
Old Sep 10, 2015, 3:27 pm

Programs: QR Gold
I find BA business the same way. The head area is not flat goes at a slight angle and the legs are drooping since the ottoman is not supported heavily. But the QR J seats ARE fully flat
Old Sep 11, 2015, 7:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
On my flight last night, I put my bag under the leg rest and it totally did the trick. Totally flat.
Old Sep 11, 2015, 1:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
When these seats were first introduced on other airiines, the slight angle was explained away by the fact that even when flying "flat", the plane maintains a very slight upwards angle, so the downward angle on the seat + the upward angle of the plane = flat lay seat.
Old Sep 12, 2015, 8:45 pm

Programs: AA member since 1990 (lifetime PLT/OWS)
IIRC, the Oryx IFE has a sub-menu that provides a "cockpit display" and you can observe the relative angle of the plane, typically 1-3 degrees. But that may have been on the 787 or 388, not sure if it is available on the 77L/77W.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.