Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Better? A350-900 or 777-200lr

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23, 2015, 2:13 pm
Original Poster

Better? A350-900 or 777-200lr

Getting ready to book a return flight next Spring on Qatar. I'll be flying business class. After making a connection in Doha, I have a choice to fly the A350-900 into BOS, or the 777-200lr into LAX.

My final destination is PHX, so I'll have to use some SWA points to get home. Of course that is an hour on a 737 from LAX, or 5 hours on a 737 from BOS. My real question is the new Airbus worth the extra time and effort, or is the 777-200LR a somewhat "equivalent" business class?
Old Jun 23, 2015, 2:32 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold
A350, in the 1-2-1 herringbone, is much superior to the 2-2-2 77L J class IMO.
Old Jun 23, 2015, 3:25 pm

Concur. A350 has all aisle access new business seats.
Old Jun 23, 2015, 3:30 pm

Programs: BA Gold
A350 is the clear winner especially if you are traveling alone, however I wouldn't fly 5 hours just for that. YMMV.
Old Jun 23, 2015, 3:34 pm

Programs: AA EXP,SPG 75
5 hours on Southwest, F that. Go to LAX.
Old Jun 23, 2015, 8:00 pm

Programs: CX Green | UA Silver | Marriott Lifetime Platinum | Hyatt Globalist | Hilton Gold | AA EXP
My vote is also to go to LAX.

I've tried both - yes, A359 w/ zodiac seats is nicer but QR B77L isn't bad at all. It's proper business class (unlike J on QR A332 planes) w/ flat bed and if you pick middle row (E or F) you have aisle access and don't have to worry about your neighbor having to do the hippo move (or antelope or giraffe or whatever animal people are using as illustration ...).

Food wise LAX should be the same, if not better, than BOS. Btw, does anyone know what is QR's plan for food on LAX route? Considering it is longer, QR will probably add extra snack choices on the menu?

Flying A359 only to continue w/ WN for the next 5 hours is just ... ugh. It should make a good joke in the office though.

Last edited by Rivarix; Jun 23, 2015 at 8:21 pm
Old Jun 24, 2015, 5:19 am

Ouch....I would concur. Not been on the 350 yet but the layout clearly favours solo pax. No qualms with the 777 though that's with the wife so there is an argument it is actually more favourable because you can get a window and comfortably have a chat. Lacks privacy for solo travellers but aisle access sounds an excellent idea. I wouldn't subject myself to 5 hours in cattle for that though.
Old Jun 24, 2015, 6:05 am

if you sleep sideway, then i think B777 is a good option. The "hole" is too small if i have to curl up and sleep on my side with a cushion in between. so i actually slept better on B777 for my sleeping position.
Old Jun 24, 2015, 6:47 am

Programs: QR Gold, BAEC, Marriott Rewards Gold, SPG Gold
Another vote for the B777; As someone who usually travels with my wife I find the 2 seats together with that wonderful space in front of you a really attractive proposition. Traveling solo I can see the attractions of the new J seat, but it feels more enclosed & I'd probably still choose one of the B777 centre pair.

The 5 hour flight in US domestic Y is the clincher, be afraid...
Old Jun 24, 2015, 2:35 pm

Or you could book the A350 to PHL and then a AMR/US in F non-stop to PHX. I assume that a through booking DOH-PHL-PHX in J will automatically give you "F" on the connecting PHL-PHX flight, of which there are quite a few each day..
Old Jun 24, 2015, 3:15 pm

Programs: CX Green | UA Silver | Marriott Lifetime Platinum | Hyatt Globalist | Hilton Gold | AA EXP
Originally Posted by perseus11
Or you could book the A350 to PHL and then a AMR/US in F non-stop to PHX. I assume that a through booking DOH-PHL-PHX in J will automatically give you "F" on the connecting PHL-PHX flight, of which there are quite a few each day..
But at what price (to book all the way to PHX which I think is what you're suggesting)? US based airlines are known to charge their partner airlines a lot for beyond gate access so fare will probably go up proportionally?

If OP wants to do what you're suggesting, OP could do it from BOS as well - AA has several non-stop BOS - PHX flights throughout the day.

Last edited by Rivarix; Jun 24, 2015 at 3:26 pm
Old Jun 24, 2015, 5:17 pm

I vote for the A350. It's brand new, super quiet, and has a much better reverse herringbone seat than the forward facing seat on the 777.
Old Jun 25, 2015, 12:25 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by perseus11
Using AA miles, Departing JNB with final destination of PHX. It is my understanding that QatarAirways is only option and AA will only book via published fare cities; i.e. BOS, DFW, JFK, ORD or LAX. Thus I cannot get from Africa to Phoenix with just 75,000 miles (Business Class). I'll have to land and pay for the domestic portion.

I'm I correct?
Old Jun 27, 2015, 3:44 pm

Originally Posted by bluefive5
Using AA miles, Departing JNB with final destination of PHX. It is my understanding that QatarAirways is only option and AA will only book via published fare cities; i.e. BOS, DFW, JFK, ORD or LAX. Thus I cannot get from Africa to Phoenix with just 75,000 miles (Business Class). I'll have to land and pay for the domestic portion.

I'm I correct?
I guess I don't understand. You essentially have 75,000 ONEWORLD miles. DOH-PHL-PHX is a published Business Class Through Fare and requires 75,000 OW (AA) miles One Way. Have you tried booking through QR, rather than AA? In any event, it really doesn't make much difference if you route via BOS, PHL or elsewhere (DFW), other than the frequency of the connecting services to PHX. Also, note that BOS is not an AA (or US) Hub and your options for mis-connecting may be less optimum. Obviously, you need to call both AA and QR in order to ensure you get the best options for your miles.
Old Jun 29, 2015, 6:30 am

Programs: BA Bronze
A350 any day loads of space. Don't whatever you do try the all premium a319 you'll feel so claustrophobic!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.