Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 5, 2015, 9:32 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Schwann
QR/CX to and from Hong Kong

Update October 2019.

CX used to fly to DOH, but this route was cancelled in February 2016, so now all flights are on QR metal although codeshared by CX.

Currently, QR operates the B777-300ER (and occasionally B777-200LR, for operational reasons) to Hong Kong and these aircraft sometimes have QSuite.

Lounges at HKG International Airport

Plaza Premium First Lounge -This is the default QR contract lounge for customers travelling in Business Class. You may however use any OneWorld Business lounge, or any OneWorld First lounge if you have Emerald status.

The Pier – This lounge is the newest lounge at HKG. Multiple reviews can be found online of its offerings, It is an excellent J lounge. Access is quite far by Gate 65. The F Pier is good. Access is for OneWorld Emerald, and QRPC Platinum Cardholders. It is located by Gate 63.

The Wing – It has been refurbished. The J lounge is to the left of immigration. You have to go one floor down for J lounge and near Gate 3 (F lounge is at same level as immigration, just to the left). It is often crowded as it is convenient. Most prefer the Pier J lounge but that can be quite far from the QR gates. The F lounge is nice It is located immediately to the left as you come through Border Control. Some prefer the F food at the Wing (rather than Pier), with both a buffet and a la carte. Access is for OneWorld Emerald, and QRPC Platinum Cardholders.

The Bridge – If you are travelling in J, this is the lounge that QR/CX will automatically send you to. It is a large lounge, but well stocked and perfectly comfortable. In addition to J passengers, access is also for OneWorld Sapphire and QRPC Gold Cardholders. It is located close to Gate 40.

The Deck – One of the newer J lounges, J/OneWorld Sapphire/QRPC Gold Cardholders. It is located by Gate 16.
Print Wikipost

QR/CX to and from Hong Kong

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2016, 8:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Originally Posted by msm2000uk
As predicted a few months ago by QR Forum members
Indeed, but that's ten months from now. I hope that they do it earlier; we know how reliable QR is in placeholding ac and then changing.
Old Mar 6, 2016, 5:38 am

Programs: AA EXP IC AMBASSADOR/DIAMOND Tk/ELITE (*G), JumeirahONE Gold
Doha morning departure

It looks like they are using the dreamliner in May for the morning flight
Old Mar 8, 2016, 8:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by palermo
It looks like they are using the dreamliner in May for the morning flight
Indeed QR has sceduled 788 on QR815/816 fron April 1.
And both flights from 31 October.

Smart move. My local friends were not happy with the business class seat on the A332/333. They lost regular business customers by not immediately replacing the good CX flight by a 787. It is not easy to gain back those customers. One of my Chinese friend who flies to Europe once a month moved to EK (his company would not pay for the very high nonstop fares but does for the discounted QR/EK). I am also avoiding QR until I am guaranteed a 787 on at least one flight. Will see how frequent is ac substitution on QR815/816.
Old Mar 13, 2016, 10:11 pm

Programs: CX SL
My QR815 on July17 still shows 332.

edit: my bad, it shows 332 in CX systems but 788 in QR. Hope there won't be a last min change.

Last edited by maxlmn; Mar 13, 2016 at 10:16 pm
Old Mar 20, 2016, 11:40 am

Programs: QR Plat, Flying Blue Plat
Old Config Still At Large as of Mid March 2016

For anyone thats interested I took 816 about 2 days ago and it was the old config in J (angled flat). QR640 about 2 weeks ago was new config. I was really concerned that I'd get the old config and read a lot about it, but really, it wasn't bad. The IFE looks like it was running DOS, but the seat was comfortable and my experience of it was less like the horror story I'd conjured up in my head that it would be if I got old config.

New config looks impressive, with huge screen, but was narrower than the old one. At 6'1 and relatively broad shoulders it felt like anyone bigger might struggle a bit. Also only 1 functioning lav in J for a full cabin of 12 on 640 was a little bleak. The seats are much more open in 816, but this also meant that *shudder* my seat mate and I knocked knees once when I was rolling on to my side. No danger of that in the new seats.

I guess what I'm saying is that while it's definitely older and not flat, the old config is not the end of the world, unlike I thought that it would be based on the reading that I did beforehand.
Old Mar 20, 2016, 3:39 pm

255FlyerTZ from 10-19 March the following aircraft have flown QR816:

10 Mar. A7-AEB the only 3 class 333, with the old sloping seats in J.
11 Mar.A7-AFE 333 B/E Diamond seat
12 Mar.A7-AEG 333 B/E Diamond seat
13 Mar.A7-ACK 332 B/E Diamond seat
14 Mar.A7-ACD 332 B/E MiniPod
15 Mar.A7-ACB 332 B/E MiniPod
16 Mar.A7-ACH 332 B/E MiniPod
17 Mar.A7-AEO 333 B/E Diamond seat
18 Mar.A7-ACD 332 B/E MiniPod
19 Mar.A7-AEO 333 B/E Diamond seat

The B/E MiniPod is the same seat as all 777s
The B/E Diamond seat is the same as used on the A319 and A320.
Apart from 10 March all J seats were lie flat horizontal seats.
Look at the Wiki on http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qatar...ays-fleet.html for more information.
Old Apr 6, 2016, 8:51 pm

Programs: CX Gold, Marriott Gold,
QR816 on May 15th has been updated on my itinerary to 788 as well. QR817 on April 30th still showing as 332. Hoping the latter gets changed too! *fingers crossed*
Old Apr 19, 2016, 2:52 pm
Formerly known as linzbh

Programs: BAEC GGL, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium
Has anyone ever had any success changing to the 00:10+1 flight from the 19:10 earlier in the evening at HKG during checkin?

We are booked in I class, cant change online, just get an error. unlikely they will allow to change without a fee over the phone so just wondering if there is any point trying at checkin?
Old Aug 24, 2016, 2:03 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
QR have announced that HKG will now be an all 787 service.

The A332's have been rostered elsewhere, meaning a slight drop in capacity for QR, but increased comfort for passengers.

Good news.

M
Old Aug 24, 2016, 4:24 am

It's not a universal improvement in comfort...
Originally Posted by msm2000uk
... increased comfort for Business class passengers, while the Economy class passengers face a significantly narrower seat given 9-across on the 787.

Good news if you're in Business, otherwise not so good.
Old Feb 10, 2017, 6:47 am

Programs: BAEC Gold [>20k Lifetime TPs] | Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond [as is Mrs PtF] | Various Others
Originally Posted by purple1addict

I used downtown check in at approx 3pm before the midnight departure - I think the desk is shared between various airlines so it's open longer hours. Quite useful as I got the boarding pass at downtown check in and could then go straight to the airside departure lounge before the airport check in desks opened
As it relates to QR HKG downtown check-in the following weblink:

http://www.mtr.com.hk/en/customer/se...ckin_info.html

states - Please contact airline for counter opening hours

In mid-August Mrs PtF and Master PtF (21) - both BAEC Gold - will be flying QR J HKG DOH, dep HKG at 1910hrs. The same day the sister and brother-in-law of Mrs PtF will be flying CX J HKG CEB, dep HKG at 1620hrs.

While I know, from previous experience, that there is no issue with checking-in early downtown with CX, can anyone - based on direct recent experience - please kindly confirm how far in advance of the flight departure time one can check-in downtown for a QR flight?

The thinking being that if all four of them can check-in downtown at, say, 11:00hrs my wife and son can invite the other two into either The Wing or The Pier First Class lounge (as opposed to them using a Business Class lounge).

Thank you.
Old Feb 10, 2017, 3:56 pm

Programs: RJ Gold, AZ E+, Air Asia Platinum
Originally Posted by Phil the Flyer
As it relates to QR HKG downtown check-in the following weblink:

http://www.mtr.com.hk/en/customer/se...ckin_info.html

states - Please contact airline for counter opening hours

In mid-August Mrs PtF and Master PtF (21) - both BAEC Gold - will be flying QR J HKG DOH, dep HKG at 1910hrs. The same day the sister and brother-in-law of Mrs PtF will be flying CX J HKG CEB, dep HKG at 1620hrs.

While I know, from previous experience, that there is no issue with checking-in early downtown with CX, can anyone - based on direct recent experience - please kindly confirm how far in advance of the flight departure time one can check-in downtown for a QR flight?

The thinking being that if all four of them can check-in downtown at, say, 11:00hrs my wife and son can invite the other two into either The Wing or The Pier First Class lounge (as opposed to them using a Business Class lounge).

Thank you.
Flying RJ,I never had a problem checking in early, often as early as 7AM and RJ has much more limited representation than QR in HKG. If none of the counters displays QR logo, just ask any agents as to who is handling QR today and the agent with "keys" will come and help you.
Old Feb 11, 2017, 4:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You should not have any problem.
And remember that these flights are code-shared by CX.
Old Jul 24, 2017, 3:37 am

Programs: SQ Gold, Marriott Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, DL Silver, AS MVP, B6 Mosaic, QR, EY, KE, CX, PR
I'm not familiar with how things work in One World. I'm flying MNL (CX934 2115-2335)-HKG (QR815 0120+1 0425+1)-DOH. Checking the evening MNL-HKG flights where there's an average delay of 40-60mins. Will I have enough time for transfer? Will CX provide me my QR boarding pass upon check-in and just proceed to my gate after arriving HKG. I suppose there's a security check between transit. I'm travelling on one ticket but in Y. I won't be the first one out the plane. I'm assuming my baggage is check through but I may be wrong. Thanks
Old Jul 24, 2017, 3:52 am

Originally Posted by SpeedAdvantage
I'm not familiar with how things work in One World. I'm flying MNL (CX934 2115-2335)-HKG (QR815 0120+1 0425+1)-DOH. Checking the evening MNL-HKG flights where there's an average delay of 40-60mins. Will I have enough time for transfer? Will CX provide me my QR boarding pass upon check-in and just proceed to my gate after arriving HKG. I suppose there's a security check between transit. I'm travelling on one ticket but in Y. I won't be the first one out the plane. I'm assuming my baggage is check through but I may be wrong. Thanks
You will probably need to get the DOH boarding pass at the transfer desk in HKG. Still, even with a 60 min delay that transfer is just about possible, including security check. If you do miss it, its on the airline that sold you the ticket to get you on the next flight to DOH and look after you in Hong Kong until it departs.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.