Old Nov 5, 2015, 9:32 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Schwann
QR/CX to and from Hong Kong

Update October 2019.

CX used to fly to DOH, but this route was cancelled in February 2016, so now all flights are on QR metal although codeshared by CX.

Currently, QR operates the B777-300ER (and occasionally B777-200LR, for operational reasons) to Hong Kong and these aircraft sometimes have QSuite.

Lounges at HKG International Airport

Plaza Premium First Lounge -This is the default QR contract lounge for customers travelling in Business Class. You may however use any OneWorld Business lounge, or any OneWorld First lounge if you have Emerald status.

The Pier This lounge is the newest lounge at HKG. Multiple reviews can be found online of its offerings, It is an excellent J lounge. Access is quite far by Gate 65. The F Pier is good. Access is for OneWorld Emerald, and QRPC Platinum Cardholders. It is located by Gate 63.

The Wing It has been refurbished. The J lounge is to the left of immigration. You have to go one floor down for J lounge and near Gate 3 (F lounge is at same level as immigration, just to the left). It is often crowded as it is convenient. Most prefer the Pier J lounge but that can be quite far from the QR gates. The F lounge is nice It is located immediately to the left as you come through Border Control. Some prefer the F food at the Wing (rather than Pier), with both a buffet and a la carte. Access is for OneWorld Emerald, and QRPC Platinum Cardholders.

The Bridge If you are travelling in J, this is the lounge that QR/CX will automatically send you to. It is a large lounge, but well stocked and perfectly comfortable. In addition to J passengers, access is also for OneWorld Sapphire and QRPC Gold Cardholders. It is located close to Gate 40.

The Deck One of the newer J lounges, J/OneWorld Sapphire/QRPC Gold Cardholders. It is located by Gate 16.
Print Wikipost

QR/CX to and from Hong Kong

Old Oct 20, 2015, 5:22 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Originally Posted by Adam Shaw
Hi QR Forum,

So I posted this on the CX forum but following a lot of discussion I still have some questions that QR folks may be able to answer and put my mind at rest.

I booked an OSL to HKG via Doha Ex-Eu on Cathay's website when the sale was on and got a great deal. 1k per pax which also includes a PEK to HKG on the way back using CX744 (probably another mistake!) will be booking the HKG to PEK using rewards.

Obviously as we all know CX have now cancelled this route as of Feb (my flights are at easter) and Qatar will be doing it instead. My itinerary has self-updated and I still have the 788 to Doha with the same transit times as before There are new flights from QR but with CX flight numbers.

The whole thing is that I really was looking forward to trying the CX333 as its the top tier reverse herringbone product. Now however, I have the QR332. Looking on QR's site all flights from Doha to HKG will now be on 332s (according to QRs site, with 165 degree recline as in, the crusty old J product, old IFE etc - all bad news!) -

Im going to make sure I book my reward from HKG to PEK on a CX333 or 777!

My question's (probably fairly predictable)

Im aware that QR started refurbishing 7 or so planes as of last yearwhat are the chances these planes will be used on this route?
How bad is the old 332 product and is the refurbished version noticeably better?
Finally, what are the chances of this whole thing changing again and being a different QR plane with the reverse herringbone a la 788/380?
Hi Adam,

Welcome to the QR Forum.

In terms of your queries, QR have refurbished 9 (I believe) of their A330-220's. As and when more are refurbished, this link will be updated - http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qatar...ays-fleet.html

In terms of the HKG flights, in my experience, I have only ever flown the refurbished J cabin. I've flown on five or six HKG-DOH flights, and all had the newer product, so hopefully you will too. There is a noticeable difference in terms of the old and refurbished, but I wouldn't worry. Come February, most (if not all) will have been updated.

With regards to QR changing aircraft, it would make sense for them to move to a 787/A350. There has been some talk on the BA Forum, that QR only flew the A330-200 because CX stated (as part of the codeshare), that they had the newer and better aircraft. Now that CX are no longer involved in the route, it could allow QR to change the airframe they use.

However, you have plenty of time before your flights, and I would think positively.
Old Oct 21, 2015, 1:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
What was a CX flight DOH-HKG in April has predictably changed to QR. The seatmap is showing 4 rows of J ahead of Doors 2, which would indicate angled seats (flat beds would be indicated by 3 rows ahead of Doors 2, and 1 row after).

I am hoping that my flight either swaps to a flat bed A330, or ideally a 787/A350.
Old Oct 21, 2015, 1:32 pm
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Originally Posted by Genius1
What was a CX flight DOH-HKG in April has predictably changed to QR. The seatmap is showing 4 rows of J ahead of Doors 2, which would indicate angled seats (flat beds would be indicated by 3 rows ahead of Doors 2, and 1 row after).

I am hoping that my flight either swaps to a flat bed A330, or ideally a 787/A350.
The seat map will change a few days before departure - as is standard with QR A330 flights.

I wouldnt worry for now.
Old Oct 21, 2015, 4:42 pm

Originally Posted by Genius1

Please check the fleet guide sticky, only 7 of the refurbished A332 have the 3 rows between Door 1 and Door 2. The rest of the refurbished A332 have an identical seatmap to the non-refurbished ones.
Old Oct 21, 2015, 8:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Originally Posted by N1Rotate
Please check the fleet guide sticky, only 7 of the refurbished A332 have the 3 rows between Door 1 and Door 2. The rest of the refurbished A332 have an identical seatmap to the non-refurbished ones.
I believe that ALL refurbished A332 have 3 rows of new J between doors 1 and 2 and one row beyond door 2.
There used to be either 3 F rows or 4 J rows in the first cabin, there is now 3 rows of new J. The only difference is that QR has reduced the pitch of Y seat and have now either 41 or 40 (same as old) Y rows. On the new version with 40 rows, the seat map is exactly the same as the old version (4 rows of J, 40 rows of Y), but there are 3 J rows in the first cabin plus one row in the next cabin.

Last edited by brunos; Oct 21, 2015 at 9:03 pm
Old Oct 21, 2015, 9:12 pm

Originally Posted by brunos
I believe that ALL refurbished A332 have 3 rows of new J between doors 1 and 2 and one row beyond door 2.
There used to be either 3 F rows or 4 J rows in the first cabin, there is now 3 rows of new J. The only difference is that QR has reduced the pitch of Y seat and have now either 41 or 40 (same as old) Y rows. On the new version with 40 rows, the seat map is exactly the same as the old version (4 rows of J, 40 rows of Y), but there are 3 J rows in the first cabin plus one row in the next cabin.
That is not correct, the latter refurbished A332 have all 4 rows between L1 and L2 doors and the economy class has the same pitch as the non-refurbished aircraft.
Old Oct 22, 2015, 9:48 am

Programs: QR Gold, BA silver
Called it!

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qatar...-out-doha.html

Now I am calling the cancellation of QR645 then QR815 upgrading to A380...with more frequent cargo flights to HKG
Old Oct 24, 2015, 10:39 am

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Diamond
Hong Kong downtown check-in

Any ideas what time the Qatar desks opens at The Hong Kong Express station?
Old Oct 24, 2015, 11:11 am

At least 4 hours before departure. I've checked in there 3.30 before departure.
Old Oct 24, 2015, 11:19 am

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Diamond
Remdk... Thanks

I am on the 00:01 flight. I believe there is a 18:30 flight, code share with CX? Therefore the desk should be open at 14:30; or as its a code share will passenger check-in with CX?
Old Oct 24, 2015, 12:02 pm

Slotski My experience with city check-in was shortly before Codeshare started.
At that Time i used the QR desk for the 18.30 departure.

Until 15 Feb 2016 then the 1830 flight (CX645/QR5800) will check-in at the CX desk whilst the 00.01 flight (QR815/CX9201) will check-in at the QR desk. Exactly as happens in Chep Lap Kok.

After 15 Feb 2016 then both flights will use the QR facilities.
Old Oct 24, 2015, 5:20 pm

Programs: QR Platinum, WY Gold, Shangri-la Diamond, Hilton Diamond
I used downtown check in at approx 3pm before the midnight departure - I think the desk is shared between various airlines so it's open longer hours. Quite useful as I got the boarding pass at downtown check in and could then go straight to the airside departure lounge before the airport check in desks opened
Old Oct 26, 2015, 12:09 pm

http://www.hongkongairport.com/eng/t...t-express.html

should be at least 90 minutes before flight, max 24 hours
Old Nov 4, 2015, 6:11 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
I have booked ARN-DOH-HKG with the codeshare CX flights for a number of reasons:

- I want to fly CX on this route before it is gone forever
- The sale J fare is amazingly cheap
- The flight times are better than all QR (plus small risk of sloping seat)
- I will be in ARN already

So several questions if anyone can help please

1. Has anything changed with regards to the OLCI situation?

2. Do you check-in at the CX desks at HKG?

3. Can bags be checked through from HKG-DOH-ARN-LHR, where the final leg is a separate BA award booking?

4. Are people still experiencing problems with crediting these flights? I will be crediting to BA, but if this fails, I could also credit to CX or QF (not QR)
Old Nov 4, 2015, 9:45 am

! Some of the answers you are looking for are dependent upon the Flight numbers DOH-HKG and HKG-DOH. If they are QR flight numbers (QR5801 and QR5800) then QR is the 'Marketing Carrier' whereas for CX640 and CX645 CX is the Marketing Carrier. CX is the operating Carrie for both flights. With your itinerary then CX is also the
Most Significant Carrier'. These are IATA terms used for various purposes such calculation baggage allowance. If QR is the Mstketing Carrier then you baggage allowance is 40kgs. but only 30kgs if CX is the Marleting Carrier.

1. Has anything changed with regards to the OLCI situation?
The only change is that check-in staff may now cancel both OLCIs. However knowing QRs almost total lack of communication not all check-in staff may know it even yet.

2. Do you check-in at the CX desks at HKG?
You check-in at the desks of the first operating carrier. Thus you use QR in ARN and CX in HKG.

3. Can bags be checked through from HKG-DOH-ARN-LHR, where the final leg is a separate BA award booking?
Yes since QR, CX and BA have baggage interlining agreements with each other within OW. But you should check-in for rhe ARN-LHR flight at the same time as the other flights in HKG.

4. Are people still experiencing problems with crediting these flights? I will be crediting to BA, but if this fails, I could also credit to CX or QF (not QR)
There stil appears to be problems with qr systems capturing codehare flights so a retro claim may be required. As others have experienced you MUST have your BAEC number on your booking. How long crediting your BA account takes I do not know, maybe others with experience of can tell you.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.