Old Nov 5, 2015, 9:32 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Schwann
QR/CX to and from Hong Kong

Update October 2019.

CX used to fly to DOH, but this route was cancelled in February 2016, so now all flights are on QR metal although codeshared by CX.

Currently, QR operates the B777-300ER (and occasionally B777-200LR, for operational reasons) to Hong Kong and these aircraft sometimes have QSuite.

Lounges at HKG International Airport

Plaza Premium First Lounge -This is the default QR contract lounge for customers travelling in Business Class. You may however use any OneWorld Business lounge, or any OneWorld First lounge if you have Emerald status.

The Pier This lounge is the newest lounge at HKG. Multiple reviews can be found online of its offerings, It is an excellent J lounge. Access is quite far by Gate 65. The F Pier is good. Access is for OneWorld Emerald, and QRPC Platinum Cardholders. It is located by Gate 63.

The Wing It has been refurbished. The J lounge is to the left of immigration. You have to go one floor down for J lounge and near Gate 3 (F lounge is at same level as immigration, just to the left). It is often crowded as it is convenient. Most prefer the Pier J lounge but that can be quite far from the QR gates. The F lounge is nice It is located immediately to the left as you come through Border Control. Some prefer the F food at the Wing (rather than Pier), with both a buffet and a la carte. Access is for OneWorld Emerald, and QRPC Platinum Cardholders.

The Bridge If you are travelling in J, this is the lounge that QR/CX will automatically send you to. It is a large lounge, but well stocked and perfectly comfortable. In addition to J passengers, access is also for OneWorld Sapphire and QRPC Gold Cardholders. It is located close to Gate 40.

The Deck One of the newer J lounges, J/OneWorld Sapphire/QRPC Gold Cardholders. It is located by Gate 16.
Print Wikipost

QR/CX to and from Hong Kong

Old Oct 7, 2015, 8:28 pm

Originally Posted by remdk
juan516 I did exactly the same almost 18 months ago. I wish I had not! When I asked for the DOH-HKG BP at the airport I was told that since I had used CX OLCI I must pick up the BP at the transfer desk in DOH. After a hefty discussion and contact to the town office the OLCI for both flights was cancelled and both BP's issued. I was informed not to use OLCI for these codeshare flights in the future.

Another interesting point raised zhaobao was that since I had checked in on CX OLCI with the CX flight number CX was regarded as the marketing carrier and the baggage rules of CX would apply to the entire journey. QR would treat it as a partner flight when crediting miles and points.

This was some time ago and QR OLCI has changed since then. Apparently not enough to work.

So If codeshare (where any operating carrier is not QR) DO NOT USE OLCI!
I OLCIed on CX's website and at the same time the check in agent at QR Munich did not even ask a question when printing me the boarding pass for Doha to Hong Kong. My miles were also credited on American Advantage. (I would have got nothing if CX was the marketing carrier from Doha to Hong Kong because of the booking class.) The check in confirmation from CX actually read "QR5801 (operated by Cathay Pacific CX640)". Not sure if it would have made any difference if I checked in using the actual CX PNR versus the QR PNR (which somehow works on CX). This was a flight from four days ago.
Old Oct 8, 2015, 1:47 am

@zhaobao: Thank you for sharing your experiences - in Frankfurt got from checkin agent BPs for QR FRADOH and CX codeshare DOHHKG, but not CX codeshare HKGSYD.

While at DOH went to transfer counter for my missing BP and then lost about 60 mins. and at the CX boarding gate to sort out an Australian ETA glitch (may also be fault of my TA) - once I was cleared (CX gate agent even called a helpline in Australia) I have got my BP HKGSYD. Immigration Australia seems to be as strict as US - one miss, no BP !

Now problems solved - all the best,
juan516.
Old Oct 8, 2015, 2:39 am

Originally Posted by juan516
@zhaobao: Thank you for sharing your experiences - in Frankfurt got from checkin agent BPs for QR FRADOH and CX codeshare DOHHKG, but not CX codeshare HKGSYD.

While at DOH went to transfer counter for my missing BP and then lost about 60 mins. and at the CX boarding gate to sort out an Australian ETA glitch (may also be fault of my TA) - once I was cleared (CX gate agent even called a helpline in Australia) I have got my BP HKGSYD. Immigration Australia seems to be as strict as US - one miss, no BP !

Now problems solved - all the best,
juan516.
Are you saying that not getting the HKGSYD BP at FRA was a result of the ETA glitch ?
Old Oct 10, 2015, 1:52 pm

I would guess that the glitch in my first name did inhibit the issue of such BP, but am not sure. While at the CX/QR transfer desk at Doha, they argued it that way and urged me to show up early at the boarding gate where CX supervisor and agent solved that matter within 20 mins.

Cheers
Juan 516.

Last edited by juan516; Oct 18, 2015 at 2:26 am
Old Oct 11, 2015, 9:41 am

It is good to see that QR are now permitting check-in staff to cancel OLCI on a partner airline for code share flights. This is a great improvement.

However knowing the level of communication prevalent within QR caution should still be exercised since not all check-in staff may know about this new possibility yet
Old Oct 14, 2015, 3:40 pm

Programs: BAEC
Doing a very similar trip soon, so this was a really valuable read - thanks very much for sharing!
Old Oct 18, 2015, 2:23 am

Report about my experience regarding the CX/QR return segments:

Have checked in CX online and QR online while in Australia (48 or 36 hours prior to my first departure segment) and could print out at home all BPs CX SYDHKG and HKGDOH and QR DOHFRA.

The reprint of the CX BPs by the CX checkin counter at Sydney International had the advantage of being given lounge invitations for SYD (QF Biz lounge) and HKG (any of the crowded CX lounges- both not needed at the end...) and an Express Pass for SYD immigration/security. The cost of stopping by the CX counter has been 5 minutes, mostly absorbed by passport check.

Cheers,
juan516.
Old Oct 19, 2015, 7:46 am

DOH-HKG changes

CX are withdrawing from the Codeshare agreement so there will be two QR flights a day.
http://www.qatarairways.com/english_...aily_hong_kong
Old Oct 19, 2015, 8:17 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Originally Posted by remdk
CX are withdrawing from the Codeshare agreement so there will be two QR flights a day.
http://www.qatarairways.com/english_...aily_hong_kong
I posted the same story about half an hour ago...but its disappeared (as I posted it in the wrong thread)

I have taken this from the BA forum, originally posted by Ldnn1

As posted earlier today:

Heads up TP runners! CX cancelling DOH-HKG from 15/02/16
CX is cancelling its DOH-HKG service with effect from 15/02/16, according to Business Traveller. This is a shame as it was a very useful flight for TP runners.

Anyone booked on this service will need to review their itineraries. You will likely be rebooked on the QR DOH-HKG service but this may cause havoc with your itinerary as the timings are very different. Or you may get rerouted on a more direct service to HKG ex-Europe which will impact TP earnings.

The flights still seem to be available in the GDS but I imagine will start disappearing from bookings soon

http://www.businesstraveller.com/new...e-doha-service
Old Oct 19, 2015, 12:52 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold [>20k Lifetime TPs] | Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond [as is Mrs PtF] | Various Others
Originally Posted by msm2000uk

Anyone booked on this service will need to review their itineraries. You will likely be rebooked on the QR DOH-HKG service but this may cause havoc with your itinerary as the timings are very different.
I don't see this being an issue at all. According to the link in the OP's post the CX service will simply be replaced by a second QR service (as used to be the case):

DOH-HKG QR640 0150 1425
DOH-HKG QR816 0750 2050

HKG-DOH QR815 0120 0520
HKG-DOH QR645 1830 2325

The only downside for me is that all QR flights are showing as A332-operated.
Old Oct 19, 2015, 12:54 pm

Programs: QR Gold
Phil, I am not surprised if the flights were replaced with 787's. The 787's are the perfect birds for the route.
Old Oct 19, 2015, 3:07 pm

Programs: KF, VA, QF, AA
787, 359, 777, 388 - I'm not fussy, just give me a horizontal flat bed
Old Oct 19, 2015, 3:35 pm

Programs: BA Gold, VS Silver, Alitalia Freccia Alta, Starwood Gold, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum
Well this is annoying. These are the longest segments on my OSL-DOH-HKG-JKT;DPS-HKG-DOH-OSL. Didn't even need the DOH detour, I just did it for the Tier Points, and the opportunity to try CX J in Cirrus. I can only hope that they stick a 787 or 777 on the route before next summer.
Old Oct 19, 2015, 4:32 pm

CX is expanding into Europe and would need less codeshare via doha.
Old Oct 20, 2015, 5:12 am

Programs: BA Silver
Hi QR Forum,

So I posted this on the CX forum but following a lot of discussion I still have some questions that QR folks may be able to answer and put my mind at rest.

I booked an OSL to HKG via Doha Ex-Eu on Cathay's website when the sale was on and got a great deal. 1k per pax which also includes a PEK to HKG on the way back using CX744 (probably another mistake!) – will be booking the HKG to PEK using rewards.

Obviously as we all know CX have now cancelled this route as of Feb (my flights are at easter) and Qatar will be doing it instead. My itinerary has self-updated and I still have the 788 to Doha with the same transit times as before – There are new flights from QR but with CX flight numbers.

The whole thing is that I really was looking forward to trying the CX333 as it’s the top tier reverse herringbone product. Now however, I have the QR332. Looking on QR's site all flights from Doha to HKG will now be on 332s (according to QR’s site, with 165 degree recline as in, the crusty old J product, old IFE etc - all bad news!) -

I’m going to make sure I book my reward from HKG to PEK on a CX333 or 777!

My question's (probably fairly predictable)

I’m aware that QR started refurbishing 7 or so planes as of last year…what are the chances these planes will be used on this route?
How bad is the old 332 product and is the refurbished version noticeably better?
Finally, what are the chances of this whole thing changing again and being a different QR plane with the reverse herringbone a la 788/380?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.