Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 5, 2015, 9:32 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Schwann
QR/CX to and from Hong Kong

Update October 2019.

CX used to fly to DOH, but this route was cancelled in February 2016, so now all flights are on QR metal although codeshared by CX.

Currently, QR operates the B777-300ER (and occasionally B777-200LR, for operational reasons) to Hong Kong and these aircraft sometimes have QSuite.

Lounges at HKG International Airport

Plaza Premium First Lounge -This is the default QR contract lounge for customers travelling in Business Class. You may however use any OneWorld Business lounge, or any OneWorld First lounge if you have Emerald status.

The Pier – This lounge is the newest lounge at HKG. Multiple reviews can be found online of its offerings, It is an excellent J lounge. Access is quite far by Gate 65. The F Pier is good. Access is for OneWorld Emerald, and QRPC Platinum Cardholders. It is located by Gate 63.

The Wing – It has been refurbished. The J lounge is to the left of immigration. You have to go one floor down for J lounge and near Gate 3 (F lounge is at same level as immigration, just to the left). It is often crowded as it is convenient. Most prefer the Pier J lounge but that can be quite far from the QR gates. The F lounge is nice It is located immediately to the left as you come through Border Control. Some prefer the F food at the Wing (rather than Pier), with both a buffet and a la carte. Access is for OneWorld Emerald, and QRPC Platinum Cardholders.

The Bridge – If you are travelling in J, this is the lounge that QR/CX will automatically send you to. It is a large lounge, but well stocked and perfectly comfortable. In addition to J passengers, access is also for OneWorld Sapphire and QRPC Gold Cardholders. It is located close to Gate 40.

The Deck – One of the newer J lounges, J/OneWorld Sapphire/QRPC Gold Cardholders. It is located by Gate 16.
Print Wikipost

QR/CX to and from Hong Kong

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5, 2017, 6:21 am

Programs: BAEC GGL; KLM Gold; AC 50K
Originally Posted by brunos
You should not have any problem.
And remember that these flights are code-shared by CX.
Does this mean we can check in at CX counters (with QR ticket)?

When I was in HKG a couple weeks ago, 4 hours before my 0100 flight to DOH, the QR counter wasn't open. Fortunately, I was carry-on-only, so I was able to check-in online and went through security to do some lounge-hopping. I may have bags to check on the next flight (in 2 weeks time) so it will be good to know if I can check-in at the CX counters. Btw, check-in at MTR/downtown won't be an option, as I will be coming from elsewhere.
Old Aug 5, 2017, 6:49 am

QR is handled by HAS (Hong Kong Airport Services) not CX. You may have better luck going to KA checkin area for help (KA is handled by HAS, not CX, and the KA staff might be the same ones going to QR desks later). Doubt the CX staff can log-in to the QR/HAS system to check your bags in with their log in.

TBF, the QR desks are manned from 3hr30mins before departure, so just hang by for a little if they aren't ready.
Old Aug 5, 2017, 9:29 am

Please remember that the codeshare agreement, where QR and CX each flew one of the two daily flights, ended early last year. CX no longer have anything to do with the operation of the QR flights.
Old Aug 5, 2017, 9:46 am

Programs: RJ Gold, AZ E+, Air Asia Platinum
Originally Posted by jckl
QR is handled by HAS (Hong Kong Airport Services) not CX. You may have better luck going to KA checkin area for help (KA is handled by HAS, not CX, and the KA staff might be the same ones going to QR desks later). Doubt the CX staff can log-in to the QR/HAS system to check your bags in with their log in.

TBF, the QR desks are manned from 3hr30mins before departure, so just hang by for a little if they aren't ready.
No, the KA/ HAS staff can not do anything at all until they get the authorisation from QR to open check in...even if you approach exactly the same people who will work the check in for that flight.

If one does not want to wait around, the best way is to get the MTR to Kowloon station... it costs 100HKD if you have an Octopus, or 105HKD if using paper tickets and you can turn around in less than an hour.

Please remember that the codeshare agreement, where QR and CX each flew one of the two daily flights, ended early last year. CX no longer have anything to do with the operation of the QR flights.
QR in HKG is still handled by KA.
Old Aug 5, 2017, 10:19 am

Originally Posted by Rami Tamimi
QR in HKG is still handled by KA.
Technically KA is handled by HAS, a ground services company independently run that handles other airlines also. They just share the same uniform, nothing more.

CX on the other hand hires their own ground services personnel and handles only CX and provide premium services staff at CX departure lounges.

All 3 companies are owned by Swire, a legacy issue.

I believe flights are under airport control sometime before check-in opens hence bags can be accepted at MTR stations. You just need to get the 'flight control' to get the basement to start accepting bags and get Amadeus DCS ready for flight loading calculation.

Go to the HAS service desk near KA check-in for more detail, they might accept your bag early at the 'oversized bag and special handling' counter
Old Nov 16, 2017, 8:22 am

Programs: Onko teillä S-etukorttia?
I will be flying HKG-DOH-HEL later this month and the HKG-DOH is the after midnight flight. Am i able to do city checkin, say 7pm, or does it have to be within the timeframe of the early evening flight?
I doubt the counters at airport open more than 3h before, and HKG isnt listed as mobile boarding pass friendly.
Ofc i want to maximise my time at the Pier.

Last edited by Jorma; Nov 16, 2017 at 8:25 am Reason: clicked enter too soon :D
Old Nov 16, 2017, 9:05 am

Jorma absolutely no problem. I have checked-in for that flight at 11.00 am at Hong Kong station..
The airport check-in usually opens about three hours before departure.
Old Nov 19, 2017, 7:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Hong Kong is mobile boarding pass friendly.
Never done it with QR bit did it with other airlines.
Old Nov 22, 2017, 10:46 am

Hong Kong is mobile boarding pass friendly.
Never done it with QR bit did it with other airlines.
I've done HKG with mobile boarding pass on other carrier, but QR doesn't list HKG on their website as being mobile boarding pass enabled.
Old Nov 23, 2017, 2:22 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
If you can't get a mobile BP then get a PDF of your BP that you are meantto print, and display that on your device. Worked for me several times
Old Nov 23, 2017, 7:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Originally Posted by Jorma
I've done HKG with mobile boarding pass on other carrier, but QR doesn't list HKG on their website as being mobile boarding pass enabled.
I don't know where you see this, but maybe the QR website is not always up to date
Over a year ago, when QR was putting its code on CX operated flights, there were cases where it was difficult to get a BP on CX metal QR coded. But that's over a year ago.

I think that QR offer the option to send the BP to your mobile from most/all airports.
The only place where you really need it at HKG is to enter security and mobile BPs are fully accepted.
Then you can get the gate to print you a hard BP before boarding. if really needed.
Old Nov 26, 2017, 12:44 pm

I don't know where you see this, but maybe the QR website is not always up to date
Over a year ago, when QR was putting its code on CX operated flights, there were cases where it was difficult to get a BP on CX metal QR coded. But that's over a year ago.

I think that QR offer the option to send the BP to your mobile from most/all airports.
The only place where you really need it at HKG is to enter security and mobile BPs are fully accepted.
Then you can get the gate to print you a hard BP before boarding. if really needed.
Yea its probably outdated, but this is what QR says about mobile BP on their website.
Maybe ill give it a go next sat.
Old Nov 27, 2017, 1:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Well, if we're talking about the whole list, I note that absent from this list are the entire U.S., as well as BKK, which has five flights per day.
Old Jan 6, 2018, 10:20 pm

Programs: CX DM
LHR DOH leg swapped due to DOH HKG rescheduling

It's just happened to me for a LHR/HKG flight in April. Was originally booked on QR5942 LHR/DOH (actually BA metal) and DOH/HKG on QR816 with 70 min connect time. Just been switched to QR016 LHR/DOH (now QR metal) due to a schedule change on QR816, but with a 50 min connect time.

This is the second time it's happened as I went through exactly the same switch last year too.
Old Jan 7, 2018, 1:03 am

Programs: BA EC
Originally Posted by KACommuter
It's just happened to me for a LHR/HKG flight in April. Was originally booked on QR5942 LHR/DOH (actually BA metal) and DOH/HKG on QR816 with 70 min connect time. Just been switched to QR016 LHR/DOH (now QR metal) due to a schedule change on QR816, but with a 50 min connect time.

This is the second time it's happened as I went through exactly the same switch last year too.
seems BA is keep on cancelling the Doha flights due to the 787 problem

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.