Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qatar Airways | Privilege Club
Reload this Page >

QR to and from Bangkok (BKK) - Non Lounge Discussion

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 5, 2015, 10:10 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Matt4
QR to and from Bangkok

What to expect
A recent trip report for this journey, can be found here:

Photos of the Cabin
You will find photos galore of the J cabin on the A380 and 777 which are some of the aircrafts QR use on the DOH-BKK-DOH route.

You will find photos galore of the F cabin on the A380 here.

Aircraft Layouts
A380: 1-2-1 layout in F and J, 3-4-3 (Lower deck) and 2-4-2 (Upper deck, only accessible for OneWorld status passengers unless the lower deck is full) in Y
787: 1-2-1 layout in J and 3-3-3 in Y
777: 2-2-2 layout in J, 3-3-3 or 3-4-3 (QR834 DOH-BKK-HAN, QR835 HAN-BKK-DOH) in Y
A340-600: 2-2-2 layout in J and 2-4-2 in Y

Which Lounge should I use at BKK?
There are multiple lounges to use in Bangkok, and the best option for you will likely be determined by the time of your flight, and the location of your departure gate.

QR are in the process of opening their own lounge in Bangkok, but as of April 2016, we know very little other than it will be located on Concourse D. Until then, QR recommend J and F passengers use the lounges provided by Thai Airways. These lounges are scattered throughout the airport.

For F passengers, you will get an invitation to use the Thai Airways Royal First Lounge, which is located on Concourse E. It is a small area, but QR no longer have an Agreement to use the larger Thai Airways Royal First Lounge on Concourse D. The small area is roped off, and there is a small menu (no buffet), with a decent drinks selection.

For J passengers, and Y passengers with status (Silver and higher) you will receive an invitation to use the Thai Airways Royal Silk Lounge. These are located on Concourse C, Concourse D, and Concourse E. A map of the lounges can be found here.

OneWorld Emerald or Sapphire card holders or F or J passengers have also access to two lounges situated on or near the 3rd floor, Concourse G: the recently-opened (2015) Cathay Pacific Lounge (04:00 to between 18:30 and 01:00), and the Japan Airlines lounge (05:45-09:55, 18:00-00:40). While the CX and JL lounges are quite close together, they can be a distance from the QR gates - so keep an eye on the time!

Connecting from Thai (TG) domestic
Thai will through check-in your bags and facilitate you as a "CIQ" passenger through an airside transfer at BKK. They will do this even if you are travelling to BKK on a completely separate TG ticket, but you will need to show evidence of the QR flight (ticket number or online check-in receipt). This is based on leaving from Chiang Mai, but should work for other Thai airports.

The process is particularly useful in avoiding security queues landside to airside at BKK, and gets neatly around QR's restrictions on check-in opening times at the airport.

CIQ stands for Customs Immigration and Quarantine: nothing to do with Chiquimula airport in Guatamala

Will I be given pyjamas and an amenity kit? Reports vary, but have a look at this thread before flying to prepare your expectations -

What meals are served? This is dependent on the timing of your flight and class of travel, but 1 or 2 full meals are usually offered by QR. Menus can be found via the QR Dashboard. F menus and Y menus are here.

Will I be offered Fast-Track through Immigration?
- Departure from BKK : you will get a Fast-Track (Premium Lane) voucher if travelling in J or F, or travelling in Y with Silver, Gold or Platinum status.
- Arrival to BKK : if you are traveling in J or F, you will be provided with a Fast-Track voucher upon landing in Bangkok. Hold on to your boarding pass as you deplane, as the brown Fast Track vouchers are sometimes given out at the top of the gate rather than on the plane. If you are traveling in Y with Silver, Gold or Platinum status, you have to request the Fast-Track voucher at the QR agent at the gate.

What time does check-in open? Check in opens 3 hours before your departure time. QR police this quite strictly.
Print Wikipost

QR to and from Bangkok (BKK) - Non Lounge Discussion

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27, 2012, 9:33 am
Original Poster

Going business class, but what lounge in Bangkok airport do I get to use?

The reason is that we will be coming from Koh Samui and have a half a day in Bangkok to do some shopping, and we where hoping there might be a lounge we could go into and get a shower before the Qatar flight home... anyone knows?
Old Jun 27, 2012, 10:29 am

Programs: Privilege Club
Hi Camaro02dk,

lounge used at Bangkok airport for Qatar Airways passenger is Thai Airways lounge.

Best regards,
Alex
Old Jun 27, 2012, 11:11 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by AlexCM
Hi Camaro02dk,

lounge used at Bangkok airport for Qatar Airways passenger is Thai Airways lounge.

Best regards,
Alex
Hey alex,

Thank you for the response, the issue for me is that there are several different lounges in Bangkok airport... there are Silk and Orchid lounges

Do you know if any of them has shower facilities, a traveler can borrow?
Old Jun 27, 2012, 6:16 pm

Programs: TK E,*G, A-Club G
I usually fly EY business class, departure E concourse, same I think for Qatar.
I use the Thai lounge (Orchid or Silk, don't remember) but often have shower there, food is not much but OK lounge
Old Jun 28, 2012, 4:27 am

Programs: Privilege Club
Originally Posted by camaro02dk
Hey alex,

Thank you for the response, the issue for me is that there are several different lounges in Bangkok airport... there are Silk and Orchid lounges

Do you know if any of them has shower facilities, a traveler can borrow?

Hi camaro02dk,

We use Thai Airways Royal Silk lounge in concourse E or D depending on the boarding gate is being assigned on the given day.

The shower facilities avail in this lounge.

Best regards,
Alex @ The Qatar Airways Community
Old Jun 29, 2012, 1:24 pm

Programs: HHon Diamond, IHG Plat, SPG Gold, TG Gold, QR Plat, OZ Gold, AF Silver, Hertz #1 Gold, Priority Pass
Going business class, but what lounge in Bangkok airport do I get to use?

No showers at the main big lounge. have showers in the smaller ones near the boarding concourses.
Old Jul 1, 2012, 4:25 am

Originally Posted by tartempion
I usually fly EY business class, departure E concourse, same I think for Qatar.
I use the Thai lounge (Orchid or Silk, don't remember) but often have shower there, food is not much but OK lounge
food in the thai lounge i go to is good with a good selection replenished quite often
Old Jul 9, 2012, 9:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Most
Originally Posted by chezzie
food in the thai lounge i go to is good with a good selection replenished quite often
The "food" at the Thai business class lounges @ BKK is simply put horrible.
Sisyphus1carus likes this.
Old Jul 10, 2012, 2:29 am

Programs: Skywards Gold, Etihad Gold
Originally Posted by holtju2
Agree you would have thought Thai Airways would have a better spread than those horrible pies you also get on Qatar Airways in economy class. If you want some decent food on entering the airport just go to the restaurant located on the ground floor where the buses leave for Pattaya etc. It is where all the airline staff eat. has well, so you won't go far wrong.
Sisyphus1carus likes this.
Old Jul 10, 2012, 1:30 pm

Originally Posted by holtju2
take it you havent tried silver lounge in doha that is horrible no selection at all .
food in royal thai bkk has good selection including the prawn dim sum and pork balls. granted its not as good as other lounges but adequate well stocked up and a variety of foods.
there is a lounge in bkk that the food is limited but i have only used it when i travel with family and they cant go into thai lounge as they arent silver/gold/business class, and i end up paying for them all
Old Jul 10, 2012, 2:06 pm

Originally Posted by chezzie
take it you havent tried silver lounge in doha that is horrible no selection
The Silver lounge in Doha is a difficult one, because at least you can enjoy the lounges outside Doha with Qatar Airways. Emirates Silver FFP are just restricted to Dubai, but their Silver lounge in Terminal 1 is even better than the business class lounges in Terminal 3. However Qatar may surprise us on 11 November when their new terminal and Silver lounge opens its doors to the public.
Old Jul 11, 2012, 10:48 am

Programs: QR Gold, BAEC, Marriott Rewards Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by lightyear40
However Qatar may surprise us on 11 November when their new terminal and Silver lounge opens its doors to the public.
Do you have a link for this info please lightyear? I'd heard 12 Dec 2012 at the very earliest, possibly delayed into 2013.
Old Jul 11, 2012, 1:21 pm

Originally Posted by impeymac
Do you have a link for this info please lightyear? I'd heard 12 Dec 2012 at the very earliest, possibly delayed into 2013.
I read it on the airliner website, but I think they may have been referring to freight and stand corrected that the official opening date to the public is 12 Dec .

However since the horrible fire in the Vilagio Mall which has become a national embarrassement for Qatar I have now read online that there are a number of lapses in quality standards at the terminal. Hence it looks like late 2013 before the inspectors finally give the green light. I am still pretty sure Mr. Baker will kick a few arse's to hit that deadline date, just a pity he does not kick some arse on the ground has well.

Last edited by lightyear40; Jul 11, 2012 at 1:46 pm
Old Jul 14, 2012, 6:21 am

Programs: QR Gold, EK, Accor, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold VIP, Delta
Flying BKK-DOH, departure is usually from E-3 or on occasion D-3. Just before E concourse is the closest Thai Air lounge that you can use. The bathrooms are nice, and they have shower rooms as well but I havent used them so nothing to say about them except they are available.

In the morning they have a little bit of food and as previously mentioned dim sum. The dim sum is of the pre-frozen type and is pretty crappy. I know they are frozen because in November, I grabbed a couple to go with my last Singha beer, and though slightly warm on the noodle covering, the inside filling was completely frozen. Since you are flying business, better off waiting until onboard and get the breakfast instead.
Old Mar 18, 2014, 2:53 am

Programs: AA ExPlat HH Diamond
Flying BKK-DOH-BER this week. Does QR still use the TG lounge since joining one world? I assume I will have no trouble using the JL lounge since it is open in the morning as well.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.