Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qatar Airways | Privilege Club
Reload this Page >

QR to and from Bangkok (BKK) - Non Lounge Discussion

Old Nov 5, 2015, 10:10 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Matt4
QR to and from Bangkok

What to expect
A recent trip report for this journey, can be found here:

Photos of the Cabin
You will find photos galore of the J cabin on the A380 and 777 which are some of the aircrafts QR use on the DOH-BKK-DOH route.

You will find photos galore of the F cabin on the A380 here.

Aircraft Layouts
A380: 1-2-1 layout in F and J, 3-4-3 (Lower deck) and 2-4-2 (Upper deck, only accessible for OneWorld status passengers unless the lower deck is full) in Y
787: 1-2-1 layout in J and 3-3-3 in Y
777: 2-2-2 layout in J, 3-3-3 or 3-4-3 (QR834 DOH-BKK-HAN, QR835 HAN-BKK-DOH) in Y
A340-600: 2-2-2 layout in J and 2-4-2 in Y

Which Lounge should I use at BKK?
There are multiple lounges to use in Bangkok, and the best option for you will likely be determined by the time of your flight, and the location of your departure gate.

QR are in the process of opening their own lounge in Bangkok, but as of April 2016, we know very little other than it will be located on Concourse D. Until then, QR recommend J and F passengers use the lounges provided by Thai Airways. These lounges are scattered throughout the airport.

For F passengers, you will get an invitation to use the Thai Airways Royal First Lounge, which is located on Concourse E. It is a small area, but QR no longer have an Agreement to use the larger Thai Airways Royal First Lounge on Concourse D. The small area is roped off, and there is a small menu (no buffet), with a decent drinks selection.

For J passengers, and Y passengers with status (Silver and higher) you will receive an invitation to use the Thai Airways Royal Silk Lounge. These are located on Concourse C, Concourse D, and Concourse E. A map of the lounges can be found here.

OneWorld Emerald or Sapphire card holders or F or J passengers have also access to two lounges situated on or near the 3rd floor, Concourse G: the recently-opened (2015) Cathay Pacific Lounge (04:00 to between 18:30 and 01:00), and the Japan Airlines lounge (05:45-09:55, 18:00-00:40). While the CX and JL lounges are quite close together, they can be a distance from the QR gates - so keep an eye on the time!

Connecting from Thai (TG) domestic
Thai will through check-in your bags and facilitate you as a "CIQ" passenger through an airside transfer at BKK. They will do this even if you are travelling to BKK on a completely separate TG ticket, but you will need to show evidence of the QR flight (ticket number or online check-in receipt). This is based on leaving from Chiang Mai, but should work for other Thai airports.

The process is particularly useful in avoiding security queues landside to airside at BKK, and gets neatly around QR's restrictions on check-in opening times at the airport.

CIQ stands for Customs Immigration and Quarantine: nothing to do with Chiquimula airport in Guatamala

Will I be given pyjamas and an amenity kit? Reports vary, but have a look at this thread before flying to prepare your expectations -

What meals are served? This is dependent on the timing of your flight and class of travel, but 1 or 2 full meals are usually offered by QR. Menus can be found via the QR Dashboard. F menus and Y menus are here.

Will I be offered Fast-Track through Immigration?
- Departure from BKK : you will get a Fast-Track (Premium Lane) voucher if travelling in J or F, or travelling in Y with Silver, Gold or Platinum status.
- Arrival to BKK : if you are traveling in J or F, you will be provided with a Fast-Track voucher upon landing in Bangkok. Hold on to your boarding pass as you deplane, as the brown Fast Track vouchers are sometimes given out at the top of the gate rather than on the plane. If you are traveling in Y with Silver, Gold or Platinum status, you have to request the Fast-Track voucher at the QR agent at the gate.

What time does check-in open? Check in opens 3 hours before your departure time. QR police this quite strictly.
Print Wikipost

QR to and from Bangkok (BKK) - Non Lounge Discussion

Old Nov 3, 2017, 11:31 pm

Programs: Qatar Airways Privilege Club Platinum; Accor Le Club Platinum
To be honest, I find it much more fun to lounge hop from Thai, Cathay and JAL. Once they open the lounge, it will probably be just like the Qatar Airways Premium Lounge (now mothballed) in Dubai which forced those travelling in first to exclusively use their lounge even though the Dubai first class lounge just down the hall offered better beverages and better food. So, long may the new QR BKK lounge be under construction!
Old Nov 4, 2017, 12:40 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, UA2MM, QF Platinum, VA Platinum., Volare Executive Club
Originally Posted by SullyofDoha
To be honest, I find it much more fun to lounge hop from Thai, Cathay and JAL.
I prefer almost any lounge at BKK to the TG (QR) lounges. In recent times I have made the Omanair lounge my lounge of choice (Priority Pass), even though I could use Oneworld or Star lounges, depending on flights.

Haven't tried the JAL lounge yet, so I'll have look at it next week when I'm flying BKK-DOH on a QR 380 (if they don't change it).
Markie likes this.
Old Nov 6, 2017, 9:53 pm

Originally Posted by SullyofDoha
To be honest, I find it much more fun to lounge hop from Thai, Cathay and JAL. Once they open the lounge, it will probably be just like the Qatar Airways Premium Lounge (now mothballed) in Dubai which forced those travelling in first to exclusively use their lounge even though the Dubai first class lounge just down the hall offered better beverages and better food. So, long may the new QR BKK lounge be under construction!
I only use Thai lounges for showers and sleep. Then back to the real thing: JAL and CX !! The QR lounge is welcomed and needed. If they get a good bartender and some "atmosphere" it could be added value to our lives. Time will tell!
Old Nov 6, 2017, 10:46 pm

Programs: Qatar Airways Privilege Club Platinum; Accor Le Club Platinum
Originally Posted by Pedersens
I only use Thai lounges for showers and sleep. Then back to the real thing: JAL and CX !! The QR lounge is welcomed and needed. If they get a good bartender and some "atmosphere" it could be added value to our lives. Time will tell!
At a time where QR is making cutbacks wherever it thinks it can find cost savings, I think you are rather optimistic to hope the QR lounge in BKK would employ a bartender. Also, the QR lounge in DXB had a very nice looking bar, I believe they called it the martini bar. They even had a gent that would make you a martini, however, it did nothing to create ‘atmosphere’.
Old Nov 7, 2017, 4:19 am

Programs: Etihad Gold, Qatar Gold, flying Blue, Falcon, Lufthansa, Eva
Originally Posted by Pedersens
Yup, I use Cathay to eat - excellent and then went to Thai for a shower and then short walk to flight (beware can be a very long walk from the Cathay lounge)
Old Nov 7, 2017, 8:28 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by amnicoll
Yup, I use Cathay to eat - excellent and then went to Thai for a shower and then short walk to flight (beware can be a very long walk from the Cathay lounge)
The Cathay lounge is my go to long for food although I did have an excellent katsu curry in the old JAL lounge a coupe of years back.
Old Nov 7, 2017, 11:05 am

Originally Posted by capin
The Cathay lounge is my go to long for food although I did have an excellent katsu curry in the old JAL lounge a coupe of years back.
Funny how people's tastes are so different. I don't care for CX Lounge food. But, I do like their Champagne.

My go-to for food is the main TG lounge. Chicken wings, rice, another meat, buns, pizza, etc. New JAL lounge would be the backup for dinner.

Drinks - again, CX wins in my book with the flowing Champagne and comfy seats.
Old Nov 7, 2017, 3:25 pm

Programs: TK E,*G, A-Club G
Originally Posted by Starchildflyer
Apologies if I am doing this wrong

We booked QR AMS-DOH-BKK in promo business class (J right?), and decided it would be easiest to continue straight on to TRAT on Bangkok Airways on the same day. QR say there is a $400 fee pp to add that segment to our existing booking. We booked online.
Is there any way to get the last segment added to existing booking (without charge) so our bags will be checked through, or do we have to go through immigration and pickup bags no matter what? Our flight arr. 13:15 and domestic dep. at 15:45, I assume this will give us plenty of transfer time.
QR says we can use lounge in domestic departure area, can anyone confirm this is correct? I cannot seem to to find 100% conclusive info. We do not have any status (yet), just the incoming J class.

Thanks and apologies again if I raised my questions in the wrong way/place!
I fly QR J to BKK and continue domestic on Thai Smile.
I always takes me around 30 minutes from gate to Thai Smile check in.
As mentioned Bangkok Airways has its own domestic lounge, unfortunately they no longer fly to UTH, if they did I would fly them. Thus you should be at the PG lounge by 14.00.
Starchildflyer likes this.
Old Nov 8, 2017, 4:21 am

Originally Posted by Global321
Funny how people's tastes are so different. I don't care for CX Lounge food. But, I do like their Champagne.

My go-to for food is the main TG lounge. Chicken wings, rice, another meat, buns, pizza, etc. New JAL lounge would be the backup for dinner.

Drinks - again, CX wins in my book with the flowing Champagne and comfy seats.
I have been totally unimpressed with both Thai 1st and business lounges for food so much so that I have never seriously looked at flying with them to and from UK. I have not tried the JAL lounge but as you say we all have different tastes and look for different things
Old Nov 8, 2017, 5:15 am

Programs: IHG Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold, oneworld Emerald
Qatar is in the process of making its own lounge at BKK, though I have no idea of the opening date.
Old Nov 8, 2017, 5:22 am

I have been totally unimpressed with both Thai 1st and business lounges for food so much so that I have never seriously looked at flying with them to and from UK. I have not tried the JAL lounge but as you say we all have different tastes and look for different things
If you fly Thai in J or hold *Gold status, go for EVA lounge, it's simply amazing! The best lounge in BKK imo and the best EVA lounge I have seen (ones at TPE are surprisingly not too amazing).
Old Nov 8, 2017, 5:51 am

Used to be a regular with EVA but not now for a long time and in those days the lounge was nothing to write home about but please to hear it has clearly got better
Old Nov 8, 2017, 7:45 am
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
Originally Posted by barracuda93
If you fly Thai in J or hold *Gold status, go for EVA lounge, it's simply amazing! The best lounge in BKK imo and the best EVA lounge I have seen (ones at TPE are surprisingly not too amazing).
Sorry for OT'ing but there is a brand new SQ Lounge (next to the planned QR facility) - it is fairly impressive.

PS. Pure coincidence - I am at the BR lounge now
Old Nov 8, 2017, 7:52 am
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
Originally Posted by jefi99
MH uses the Louis Tavern Silver lounge now. With no OW status, can I still use JL Sakura and/or other OW lounges, flying MH business?
Which flight are you on?

I was passing next to the JL lounge some hour ago (8 pm local time) and there was sign the lounge is full and JL elites should temporarily use the Miracle 3rd party lounge. I am sure they would not let QR or MH passengers in.
Old Nov 8, 2017, 8:17 am

Originally Posted by TPJ
I was passing next to the JL lounge some hour ago (8 pm local time) and there was sign the lounge is full and JL elites should temporarily use the Miracle 3rd party lounge. I am sure they would not let QR or MH passengers in.
I have used JAL lounge at BKK at least once when flying CX or MH (can't remember now). Haven't been overcrowded, though people were there in some number.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.