Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qatar Airways | Privilege Club
Reload this Page >

QR to and from Bangkok (BKK) - Non Lounge Discussion

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 5, 2015, 10:10 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Matt4
QR to and from Bangkok

What to expect
A recent trip report for this journey, can be found here:

Photos of the Cabin
You will find photos galore of the J cabin on the A380 and 777 which are some of the aircrafts QR use on the DOH-BKK-DOH route.

You will find photos galore of the F cabin on the A380 here.

Aircraft Layouts
A380: 1-2-1 layout in F and J, 3-4-3 (Lower deck) and 2-4-2 (Upper deck, only accessible for OneWorld status passengers unless the lower deck is full) in Y
787: 1-2-1 layout in J and 3-3-3 in Y
777: 2-2-2 layout in J, 3-3-3 or 3-4-3 (QR834 DOH-BKK-HAN, QR835 HAN-BKK-DOH) in Y
A340-600: 2-2-2 layout in J and 2-4-2 in Y

Which Lounge should I use at BKK?
There are multiple lounges to use in Bangkok, and the best option for you will likely be determined by the time of your flight, and the location of your departure gate.

QR are in the process of opening their own lounge in Bangkok, but as of April 2016, we know very little other than it will be located on Concourse D. Until then, QR recommend J and F passengers use the lounges provided by Thai Airways. These lounges are scattered throughout the airport.

For F passengers, you will get an invitation to use the Thai Airways Royal First Lounge, which is located on Concourse E. It is a small area, but QR no longer have an Agreement to use the larger Thai Airways Royal First Lounge on Concourse D. The small area is roped off, and there is a small menu (no buffet), with a decent drinks selection.

For J passengers, and Y passengers with status (Silver and higher) you will receive an invitation to use the Thai Airways Royal Silk Lounge. These are located on Concourse C, Concourse D, and Concourse E. A map of the lounges can be found here.

OneWorld Emerald or Sapphire card holders or F or J passengers have also access to two lounges situated on or near the 3rd floor, Concourse G: the recently-opened (2015) Cathay Pacific Lounge (04:00 to between 18:30 and 01:00), and the Japan Airlines lounge (05:45-09:55, 18:00-00:40). While the CX and JL lounges are quite close together, they can be a distance from the QR gates - so keep an eye on the time!

Connecting from Thai (TG) domestic
Thai will through check-in your bags and facilitate you as a "CIQ" passenger through an airside transfer at BKK. They will do this even if you are travelling to BKK on a completely separate TG ticket, but you will need to show evidence of the QR flight (ticket number or online check-in receipt). This is based on leaving from Chiang Mai, but should work for other Thai airports.

The process is particularly useful in avoiding security queues landside to airside at BKK, and gets neatly around QR's restrictions on check-in opening times at the airport.

CIQ stands for Customs Immigration and Quarantine: nothing to do with Chiquimula airport in Guatamala

Will I be given pyjamas and an amenity kit? Reports vary, but have a look at this thread before flying to prepare your expectations -

What meals are served? This is dependent on the timing of your flight and class of travel, but 1 or 2 full meals are usually offered by QR. Menus can be found via the QR Dashboard. F menus and Y menus are here.

Will I be offered Fast-Track through Immigration?
- Departure from BKK : you will get a Fast-Track (Premium Lane) voucher if travelling in J or F, or travelling in Y with Silver, Gold or Platinum status.
- Arrival to BKK : if you are traveling in J or F, you will be provided with a Fast-Track voucher upon landing in Bangkok. Hold on to your boarding pass as you deplane, as the brown Fast Track vouchers are sometimes given out at the top of the gate rather than on the plane. If you are traveling in Y with Silver, Gold or Platinum status, you have to request the Fast-Track voucher at the QR agent at the gate.

What time does check-in open? Check in opens 3 hours before your departure time. QR police this quite strictly.
Print Wikipost

QR to and from Bangkok (BKK) - Non Lounge Discussion

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20, 2017, 11:41 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold, oneworld Emerald
Originally Posted by solfi
After receiving all the perks for being QR Gold in Y (greetings, choice of main meal, ...) the cabin manager also informed me proactively that I will get a voucher for Premium Lane in BKK, just have to ask ground staff and show my boarding pass after leaving the plane. Was a little bit sceptical but was working fine. Is it a new standard or just being lucky? Never had it before
Never had it on arrival regardless of the status, but several times got it on departure.
Old Nov 21, 2017, 12:31 am

Programs: QR Plat, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by solfi
After receiving all the perks for being QR Gold in Y (greetings, choice of main meal, ...) the cabin manager also informed me proactively that I will get a voucher for Premium Lane in BKK, just have to ask ground staff and show my boarding pass after leaving the plane. Was a little bit sceptical but was working fine. Is it a new standard or just being lucky? Never had it before
It seems like to be the way it works but I was not aware of it until my friends told me. It worked fine for me on my last HAN-BKK flight 2 months ago.
Old Nov 21, 2017, 5:10 am

Programs: QR Plat, BA Silver
Originally Posted by Matt4
It seems like to be the way it works but I was not aware of it until my friends told me. It worked fine for me on my last HAN-BKK flight 2 months ago.
I read somewhere too, but never bothered to ask until cabin crew tell me about it. When departing BKK I received so far every time a Premium Lane card as Silver or Gold member in Y.
Old Nov 21, 2017, 7:37 pm

Programs: qr
Just done QR 830 flight. J class rammed and upon landing cabin staff made a pigs ear of opening front doors which culminated in the supervisor running up the jetty to hand out fast track cards. Worth it as immigration was busy but the middle fast pass lane was empty- through in 5 mins bags up as I arrived in baggage hall and was out and in a taxi in under 30 mins. However the trip into the centre of BKK was somewhat longer ......
Old Nov 22, 2017, 2:46 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
@tav1989 - it's much quicker to just go downstairs on get on the train (fast and aircon)
Old Nov 22, 2017, 8:53 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, QRPC Silver
On one y flight qr836 I was told by supervisor to request a fast track voucher I think maybe discretionary
Old Nov 22, 2017, 9:00 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, QRPC Silver
Mixed class flights LHR BKK

I recently forward LHR DOH in Y upper deck seat beside me empty..nice great service welcomed by crew given first choice of meal 2nd leg DOH BKK in J ( 388 ) unremarkable so so service no status welcome I actually enjoyed the y sector more LOL
Old Nov 23, 2017, 1:22 am

Programs: FB Platinum
Originally Posted by GalaxyChris
Wrong assumption I do already Star Alliance < QR > Star Alliance

2 different tickets
So now Bangkok Airways have joined Oneworld, even though we have 2 seperate tickets perhaps when we check in with QR in AMS they can check our luggage through to Trat? Not a big deal if not as I am sure we have time to do it ourselves, just curious..
Old Nov 23, 2017, 3:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by Starchildflyer
So now Bangkok Airways have joined Oneworld, even though we have 2 seperate tickets perhaps when we check in with QR in AMS they can check our luggage through to Trat? Not a big deal if not as I am sure we have time to do it ourselves, just curious..
I don't believe that PG has joined OneWorld. Do you have information that it has?
Old Nov 23, 2017, 3:21 am
CL9

Programs: MR Platinum, QRPC Platinum
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
I don't believe that PG has joined OneWorld. Do you have information that it has?
I think he mean the new "better" cooperation between Bangkok Airways and Qatar

https://bangkokair.com/eng/press_release/view/231

https://www.qatarairways.com/en/pres...Press-releases
Old Nov 23, 2017, 4:57 am

Programs: IHG Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold, oneworld Emerald
So now Bangkok Airways have joined Oneworld
Any proof? Are their flights bookable now on BAEC etc?
Old Nov 23, 2017, 5:22 am

Programs: Qatar Airways Privilege Club Platinum; Accor Le Club Platinum
They are not a new One World member. They have an enhanced relationship with QR that allows loyalty members to redeem flights from each other’s inventory. https://news.get.com/qatar-airways-a...ward-programs/
Old Nov 23, 2017, 8:44 am

Programs: FB Platinum
Originally Posted by CL9
I think he mean the new "better" cooperation between Bangkok Airways and Qatar

https://bangkokair.com/eng/press_release/view/231

https://www.qatarairways.com/en/pres...Press-releases
My bad! They call them their "partner", sorry for the confusion!
Old Nov 23, 2017, 7:01 pm

Programs: AS 100K
it seems QR starts boarding thids flight an hour prior departure. Does that mean, I really? have to be at the gate 1hr prior departure?

I'm flying F and I'd like to spend as much time in the F lounge. Currently, my connection time in DOH will be 2h25min.
Old Nov 24, 2017, 6:49 am

Programs: QR Platinum
Originally Posted by nilsfr69
Seriously, I was disappointed that they could not load enough cases for the return flight... it's an A380, there is no room for 20 cases of KRUG somewhere in the belly of that plane? (it was one of the reasons I upgraded)
(and now I wonder what seat you were.... )
Cant complain. I am in A380 first bkk-doha right now and already 3rd glass of krug and dinner did not start yet.
only 2 empty seats in first but seemdäs they are not heavy krug drinker.
but will try the rose tattinger too later

Last edited by Crisu69; Nov 24, 2017 at 6:57 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.