Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qatar Airways | Privilege Club
Reload this Page >

QR to and from Bangkok (BKK) - Non Lounge Discussion

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 5, 2015, 10:10 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Matt4
QR to and from Bangkok

What to expect
A recent trip report for this journey, can be found here:

Photos of the Cabin
You will find photos galore of the J cabin on the A380 and 777 which are some of the aircrafts QR use on the DOH-BKK-DOH route.

You will find photos galore of the F cabin on the A380 here.

Aircraft Layouts
A380: 1-2-1 layout in F and J, 3-4-3 (Lower deck) and 2-4-2 (Upper deck, only accessible for OneWorld status passengers unless the lower deck is full) in Y
787: 1-2-1 layout in J and 3-3-3 in Y
777: 2-2-2 layout in J, 3-3-3 or 3-4-3 (QR834 DOH-BKK-HAN, QR835 HAN-BKK-DOH) in Y
A340-600: 2-2-2 layout in J and 2-4-2 in Y

Which Lounge should I use at BKK?
There are multiple lounges to use in Bangkok, and the best option for you will likely be determined by the time of your flight, and the location of your departure gate.

QR are in the process of opening their own lounge in Bangkok, but as of April 2016, we know very little other than it will be located on Concourse D. Until then, QR recommend J and F passengers use the lounges provided by Thai Airways. These lounges are scattered throughout the airport.

For F passengers, you will get an invitation to use the Thai Airways Royal First Lounge, which is located on Concourse E. It is a small area, but QR no longer have an Agreement to use the larger Thai Airways Royal First Lounge on Concourse D. The small area is roped off, and there is a small menu (no buffet), with a decent drinks selection.

For J passengers, and Y passengers with status (Silver and higher) you will receive an invitation to use the Thai Airways Royal Silk Lounge. These are located on Concourse C, Concourse D, and Concourse E. A map of the lounges can be found here.

OneWorld Emerald or Sapphire card holders or F or J passengers have also access to two lounges situated on or near the 3rd floor, Concourse G: the recently-opened (2015) Cathay Pacific Lounge (04:00 to between 18:30 and 01:00), and the Japan Airlines lounge (05:45-09:55, 18:00-00:40). While the CX and JL lounges are quite close together, they can be a distance from the QR gates - so keep an eye on the time!

Connecting from Thai (TG) domestic
Thai will through check-in your bags and facilitate you as a "CIQ" passenger through an airside transfer at BKK. They will do this even if you are travelling to BKK on a completely separate TG ticket, but you will need to show evidence of the QR flight (ticket number or online check-in receipt). This is based on leaving from Chiang Mai, but should work for other Thai airports.

The process is particularly useful in avoiding security queues landside to airside at BKK, and gets neatly around QR's restrictions on check-in opening times at the airport.

CIQ stands for Customs Immigration and Quarantine: nothing to do with Chiquimula airport in Guatamala

Will I be given pyjamas and an amenity kit? Reports vary, but have a look at this thread before flying to prepare your expectations -

What meals are served? This is dependent on the timing of your flight and class of travel, but 1 or 2 full meals are usually offered by QR. Menus can be found via the QR Dashboard. F menus and Y menus are here.

Will I be offered Fast-Track through Immigration?
- Departure from BKK : you will get a Fast-Track (Premium Lane) voucher if travelling in J or F, or travelling in Y with Silver, Gold or Platinum status.
- Arrival to BKK : if you are traveling in J or F, you will be provided with a Fast-Track voucher upon landing in Bangkok. Hold on to your boarding pass as you deplane, as the brown Fast Track vouchers are sometimes given out at the top of the gate rather than on the plane. If you are traveling in Y with Silver, Gold or Platinum status, you have to request the Fast-Track voucher at the QR agent at the gate.

What time does check-in open? Check in opens 3 hours before your departure time. QR police this quite strictly.
Print Wikipost

QR to and from Bangkok (BKK) - Non Lounge Discussion

Search this Thread

Old Nov 11, 2016, 6:10 pm

ual902 your baggage should be checked through to MNL.
The TG F lounge has an agreement with QR for departing QR passengers only. You do not qualify. Since you cease to be an F passenger when you leave the aircraft in BKK you may use the Cathay Pacific First and Business Class Lounge.
According to https://www.oneworld.com/ffp/lounge-access you may also access the Japan Airlines Sakura Lounge.
Old Nov 12, 2016, 4:35 am

Programs: Etihad Gold, Qatar Gold, flying Blue, Falcon, Lufthansa, Eva
You are contradicting your self and it is not clear if you have one ticket from DOH to HKG or two tickets one to BKK and then a second to HKG

If you have one ticket the luggage should go all the way through

As you are traveling Y from BKK then you will not be entitled to lounge access in BKK
Old Nov 12, 2016, 6:03 am

amnicoll voxx did say
"Next week we will travel between DOH to BKK on QR in J.
Then, we have a separate booking on CX to HKG in Y.
I was not able (and did not know how to do) to bought these 2 differents segments in only 1 ticket." which to me says two tickets/reservations.
voxx is entirely at the mercy of the check-in agent in DOH
I agree with you in the fact that OWR status is useless.
Old Nov 12, 2016, 8:55 am

Y

Originally Posted by amnicoll
You are contradicting your self and it is not clear if you have one ticket from DOH to HKG or two tickets one to BKK and then a second to HKG

If you have one ticket the luggage should go all the way through

As you are traveling Y from BKK then you will not be entitled to lounge access in BKK
1 PNR / record locator with an AA award:

DXB DOH QR F
DOH BKK QR F A380
BKK HKG CX J A350
HKG MNL CX F 77W
Old Nov 12, 2016, 1:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ual902
I have 1 PNR / record locator for:
QR F DXB DOH BKK connecting CX J BKK HKG CX F MNL

1. can I check my bag @ DXB all the way to MNL?.

2. As an F TRANSIT passenger from QR F to CX J am I entitled to the TG F lounge @BKK?.
The TG F lounge QR used if I understand correctly, is NOT the TG flagship F lounge at Concourse D that is for TG F passengers. Even the flagship TG F lounge is nothing to write home about despite the bloggers tout of the one hour body massage, the private living room, etc etc. We used that lounge several times when flying TG F and were not impressed. Nice place to spend idling hours with drinks and foods brought to you (from a menu) in your little own sitting area equipped with a TV and a work station but other than that, not much else.

CX lounge at BKK is a newly renovated one based on the concept in HKG and is reportedly better. We will find out if it is the case come January.

Last edited by Happy; Nov 12, 2016 at 1:58 pm
Old Nov 12, 2016, 2:47 pm

Happy neither voxx nor ual902 are entitled to use the TG F lounge on arrival from DOH. The lounge is a third party lounge to which QR has purchased access for departing QR passengers.
voxx hs no lounge access in BKK but ual902 has access to The CX First and Business class lounge or the Sakura Lounge as per https://www.oneworld.com/ffp/lounge-access.
Parts of the two original posts have been mixed with each other resulting in confusion.
Old Nov 12, 2016, 3:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by Happy
The TG F lounge....Nice place to spend idling hours with drinks and foods brought to you (from a menu) in your little own sitting area equipped with a TV and a work station but other than that, not much else...
"not much else" .. just your own semi-private room with waiting staff bringing you whatever food and drink you ask for; then if you get bored with all that, there's a massage waiting for you in the spa across the hall.

Love to know exactly what you expect from a waiting room
Old Nov 13, 2016, 2:54 am

Programs: QRPC Gold, EK Silver
Thanks for your clear answer.

Found a website where I can buy a lounge access in BKK (Oman Air Lounge) for GBP 20, which seems quite fair.
Old Nov 13, 2016, 6:09 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, IHG Platinum Ambassador, Club Carlson Gold
Originally Posted by remdk
Happy neither voxx nor ual902 are entitled to use the TG F lounge on arrival from DOH. The lounge is a third party lounge to which QR has purchased access for departing QR passengers.
I am assuming that a departing QR J passenger with *G cannot use the TG F lounge for the same reason?
Old Nov 13, 2016, 6:33 am

rembrandtuk as a QR passenger departing DOH your Star Alliance status has no bearing on access whatsoever but the QR boarding pass has.
Old Nov 14, 2016, 6:45 am

Programs: BAEC GOLD
Hi guys,

Would like to know that I understand the wiki correctly and this is possible.

I have a ticket booked BKK-DOH-OTP that departs at 1930. I will be arriving at HKT from KUL at 0955. The plan is to hitch a flight from HKT-BKK. From the WIKI if I were to be on a TG flight for HKT-BKK, they will be able to check us in all the way to OTP. That way I can get airside and have lounge access rather than waiting for the check in counters to be open t-3hr.
Old Nov 14, 2016, 8:50 am

db07mufan from the information you give you are correct. Since time is going to be a factor consider trying to get your luggage checked through all the way from KUL. Depending upon the airline, and the mood of the check-in agent in KUL, you may get lucky.
Old Nov 15, 2016, 2:37 am

Programs: BAEC GOLD
Originally Posted by remdk
db07mufan from the information you give you are correct. Since time is going to be a factor consider trying to get your luggage checked through all the way from KUL. Depending upon the airline, and the mood of the check-in agent in KUL, you may get lucky.
I've got this on that day.

KUL-HKT (MH Itinerary 1)
HKT-BKK (TG Itinerary 2)
BKK-DOH-OTP (QR Itinerary 3)

Higher chance to be checked in all the way from KUL? or HKT? The transit in HKT is only 3 hours which I don't mind rechecking the bags, I have a 7 hours layover in BKK, if I could hang out in the lounges it would be great
Old Nov 15, 2016, 2:58 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
So, a quick general update on the Lounge situation at BKK.

2017 will see major lounge changes at BKK. A Merry-go-round of switches will take place, but the finer details are being worked on.

1) EK are moving
2) QF are potentially disappearing
3) SQ are potentially moving
4) One of the TG spaces is going
5) QR are being added
6) Louis Tavern are taking another space
7) One other airline is also being added - but negotiations are in place with a number of airlines so it is not confirmed yet.

Most of the changes will take place once at least 2 of the 3 spaces between D1-D8 are completed - the time frame is aimed towards the end of Q1 2017.

I'll update more when I have it in concrete.

M
Old Nov 15, 2016, 3:50 am

Originally Posted by msm2000uk
1) EK are moving
It's only a couple of years since they refurbished it to the current style. Are they being "persuaded" to move?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.