Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qatar Airways | Privilege Club
Reload this Page >

QR to and from Bangkok (BKK) - Non Lounge Discussion

Old Nov 5, 2015, 10:10 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Matt4
QR to and from Bangkok

What to expect
A recent trip report for this journey, can be found here:

Photos of the Cabin
You will find photos galore of the J cabin on the A380 and 777 which are some of the aircrafts QR use on the DOH-BKK-DOH route.

You will find photos galore of the F cabin on the A380 here.

Aircraft Layouts
A380: 1-2-1 layout in F and J, 3-4-3 (Lower deck) and 2-4-2 (Upper deck, only accessible for OneWorld status passengers unless the lower deck is full) in Y
787: 1-2-1 layout in J and 3-3-3 in Y
777: 2-2-2 layout in J, 3-3-3 or 3-4-3 (QR834 DOH-BKK-HAN, QR835 HAN-BKK-DOH) in Y
A340-600: 2-2-2 layout in J and 2-4-2 in Y

Which Lounge should I use at BKK?
There are multiple lounges to use in Bangkok, and the best option for you will likely be determined by the time of your flight, and the location of your departure gate.

QR are in the process of opening their own lounge in Bangkok, but as of April 2016, we know very little other than it will be located on Concourse D. Until then, QR recommend J and F passengers use the lounges provided by Thai Airways. These lounges are scattered throughout the airport.

For F passengers, you will get an invitation to use the Thai Airways Royal First Lounge, which is located on Concourse E. It is a small area, but QR no longer have an Agreement to use the larger Thai Airways Royal First Lounge on Concourse D. The small area is roped off, and there is a small menu (no buffet), with a decent drinks selection.

For J passengers, and Y passengers with status (Silver and higher) you will receive an invitation to use the Thai Airways Royal Silk Lounge. These are located on Concourse C, Concourse D, and Concourse E. A map of the lounges can be found here.

OneWorld Emerald or Sapphire card holders or F or J passengers have also access to two lounges situated on or near the 3rd floor, Concourse G: the recently-opened (2015) Cathay Pacific Lounge (04:00 to between 18:30 and 01:00), and the Japan Airlines lounge (05:45-09:55, 18:00-00:40). While the CX and JL lounges are quite close together, they can be a distance from the QR gates - so keep an eye on the time!

Connecting from Thai (TG) domestic
Thai will through check-in your bags and facilitate you as a "CIQ" passenger through an airside transfer at BKK. They will do this even if you are travelling to BKK on a completely separate TG ticket, but you will need to show evidence of the QR flight (ticket number or online check-in receipt). This is based on leaving from Chiang Mai, but should work for other Thai airports.

The process is particularly useful in avoiding security queues landside to airside at BKK, and gets neatly around QR's restrictions on check-in opening times at the airport.

CIQ stands for Customs Immigration and Quarantine: nothing to do with Chiquimula airport in Guatamala

Will I be given pyjamas and an amenity kit? Reports vary, but have a look at this thread before flying to prepare your expectations -

What meals are served? This is dependent on the timing of your flight and class of travel, but 1 or 2 full meals are usually offered by QR. Menus can be found via the QR Dashboard. F menus and Y menus are here.

Will I be offered Fast-Track through Immigration?
- Departure from BKK : you will get a Fast-Track (Premium Lane) voucher if travelling in J or F, or travelling in Y with Silver, Gold or Platinum status.
- Arrival to BKK : if you are traveling in J or F, you will be provided with a Fast-Track voucher upon landing in Bangkok. Hold on to your boarding pass as you deplane, as the brown Fast Track vouchers are sometimes given out at the top of the gate rather than on the plane. If you are traveling in Y with Silver, Gold or Platinum status, you have to request the Fast-Track voucher at the QR agent at the gate.

What time does check-in open? Check in opens 3 hours before your departure time. QR police this quite strictly.
Print Wikipost

QR to and from Bangkok (BKK) - Non Lounge Discussion

Old Aug 3, 2016, 2:13 am

Programs: HH Diamond, BA Gold, Marriott Platinum Premier, IHG Gold, Phyllis Court Junior Member
Originally Posted by spec119
totally agree great product
The bar certainly is, at any rate - it's an excellent reason to choose QR to BKK, and we'll have to hope that QR restore the A380s as soon as they can.

On a side note, I'm currently sitting in the Oman Air lounge ahead of my flight tonight on QR833 (in J - perhaps I'll say hello to some FT folk in the bar). Not only is the lounge completely deserted, it has good hot food, nice salmon-based canapés, and Chandon method-traditionelle quasi-champagne, not to mention WiFi and a rest area for which they can supply blankets. It's also very elegantly furnished. If you have LoungeKey (mine is free and unlimited through HSBC) this is a great option that rivals the CX lounge and includes showers.
Old Aug 3, 2016, 2:26 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Originally Posted by templar42
The bar certainly is, at any rate - it's an excellent reason to choose QR to BKK, and we'll have to hope that QR restore the A380s as soon as they can.

On a side note, I'm currently sitting in the Oman Air lounge ahead of my flight tonight on QR833 (in J - perhaps I'll say hello to some FT folk in the bar). Not only is the lounge completely deserted, it has good hot food, nice salmon-based canapés, and Chandon method-traditionelle quasi-champagne, not to mention WiFi and a rest area for which they can supply blankets. It's also very elegantly furnished. If you have LoungeKey (mine is free and unlimited through HSBC) this is a great option that rivals the CX lounge and includes showers.
I'm flying Oman Air in September, as a comparison to QR J.

I did EK and QF J last month - EK wasn't bad, but QF was poor. Both flights on the latest versions of the A380 cabins.

WY are meant to be very good, and I have a mix of the 787 and A330 J new and old product.

I also have EK and QF F flights in August, so again, a chance to compare to QR.

In terms of better J products, I would probably put SQ ahead of QR based on the soft product.

M

Last edited by msm2000uk; Aug 4, 2016 at 4:14 am
Old Aug 3, 2016, 12:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by templar42

On a side note, I'm currently sitting in the Oman Air lounge ahead of my flight tonight on QR833
I think there was a measure of over-capacity on the Bangkok route: so it might be some time before BKK is seen as an efficient employment for the A380 (unless frequency goes).

As for Oman Air, I'm biassed: it's an arm of the only state in the region where I'd be happy to spend more than a few hours. It's a pretty good outfit as well, and certainly gives QR a run for its money in terms of comfort and service: the really nice part is being charmed by an Omani cabin crew.

The network is nothing like as extensive as Qatar's, but there's been talk of them starting a Manchester service (which has to be goo ). And the FFP is limited.

There is/was a stonkingly good (Ł835+) C-offer from LHR, CDG and FRA to just about every destination the airline serves in SE Asia. I think it ended at the end of July, bit it seems to come round every year.
Old Aug 3, 2016, 1:31 pm

Originally Posted by IAN-UK
I think there was a measure of over-capacity on the Bangkok route: so it might be some time before BKK is seen as an efficient employment for the A380 (unless frequency goes).
Several of the BKK A380 flights I've been on have been packed, with op-ups in J.

And according to Airline Routes, BKK will be back to two A380s daily in the new year. (Although we all know this can change easily).
Old Aug 3, 2016, 2:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by railways
Several of the BKK A380 flights I've been on have been packed, with op-ups in J.

I know this thread rarely recognises other than J travel. But the A380 has rather a lot of capacity behind and beneath the premium cabins ... and my anecdotal evidence is that this has not been close to being filled: indeed it's been great to stretch out across the central block of seats
Old Aug 3, 2016, 4:27 pm

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Originally Posted by IAN-UK
I know this thread rarely recognises other than J travel. But the A380 has rather a lot of capacity behind and beneath the premium cabins ... and my anecdotal evidence is that this has not been close to being filled: indeed it's been great to stretch out across the central block of seats
The Y cabins have been busy to BKK, but a 777 will be better suited for the next few months - aside from the Xmas period.

The A380 flying to CAN will likely last as long as the subsidy to fly there keeps rolling in, so no immediate change.

M
Old Aug 3, 2016, 7:20 pm

Programs: QR Plat, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by msm2000uk
In terms of better J products, I would probably put SG ahead of QR based on the soft product.
So you like it red hot spicy ?
I would have thought you would prefer SQ over QR ;-)
Old Aug 4, 2016, 3:45 am

Originally Posted by msm2000uk
I'm flying Oman Air in September, as a comparison to QR J.

I did EK and QF J last month - EK wasn't bad, but QF was poor. Both flights on the latest versions of the A380 cabins.

WY are meant to be very good, and I have a mix of the 787 and A330 J new and old product.

I also have EK and QF F flights in August, so again, a chance to compare to QR.

In terms of better J products, I would probably put SG ahead of QR based on the soft product.

M
You will enjoy WY and they are certainly a more boutique experience than QR, their fares tend to be lower too. The old product on the A330 is actually more spacious than the new one, its actually a 1-2-1 First Class seat (same as QR's and GF's old F-class on the A332).
Old Aug 4, 2016, 4:15 am

Originally Posted by Matt4
So you like it red hot spicy ?
I would have thought you would prefer SQ over QR ;-)
While the SG product is good, I will concede that perhaps SQ is better

Oops - well spotted!

M
Old Aug 4, 2016, 4:17 am

Originally Posted by N1Rotate
You will enjoy WY and they are certainly a more boutique experience than QR, their fares tend to be lower too. The old product on the A330 is actually more spacious than the new one, its actually a 1-2-1 First Class seat (same as QR's and GF's old F-class on the A332).
I've flown WY before, but not for a number of years.

Their fares to BKK from Europe, have been comparable to QR for a while, but their recent Sale (which included ex-LHR) was too good to ignore!

I shall report after trying all 3 of the J products - the new J, which is similar to that of JAL, is meant to be excellent despite the 2-2-2 layout.

I shall of course report back!

M
Old Aug 4, 2016, 6:23 am

Programs: BA Gold/OWE
As a data point, I checked-in over 3.5 hours before for this evening's 833 without issue (sometime after 17:30 for a 21:15 departure). I thought I might have to hang around landside but when I asked the 'helpers' what time check-in opened, I was politely ushered to the desk. So, plenty of time for a little lounge hopping
Old Aug 4, 2016, 1:21 pm

Originally Posted by sharp5flat9
As a data point, I checked-in over 3.5 hours before for this evening's 833 without issue (sometime after 17:30 for a 21:15 departure). I thought I might have to hang around landside but when I asked the 'helpers' what time check-in opened, I was politely ushered to the desk. So, plenty of time for a little lounge hopping
Yes, I've never had a problem in checking in early for the 21:15 A380 BKK-DOH. I thought this was because the check-in desks were already open for the earlier (around 20:40) 777 departure ex-HAN, but last time - mid-June - I checked in at exactly 17:25 for the 21:15 departure, and it was pretty clear that the check-in desks had not just opened.
Old Aug 6, 2016, 6:19 am

Programs: QR Gold, BAEC, Marriott Rewards Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by remdk
martin102 remember that QR does not have enough A380s to maintain the current schedules (BKK, CAN, CDG, LHR and SYD) so it has to change aircraft frequently on those routes. The situation will ease with the scheduled delivery of two more aircraft in December 2016 and January 2017.

Add to this the fact that at least 4 A380s are due for their two year inspection which takes several weeks per aircraft.

From 14 September there are no A380 flights to BKK until further notice. When they are reassigned to the route they will not all start at once but appear gradually.
Slightly off topic, it's not just BKK that's having 380's removed. My QR12, LHR-DOH flight in mid Oct has been swapped to a 777.

Will miss the onboard bar, but I'm one of those who loves the spaciousness of the 777 J seat & as it's an Awards flight I'll be happy as long as they don't downgrade me!
Old Aug 6, 2016, 12:45 pm

Programs: QR Platinum, WY Gold, Shangri-la Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by impeymac
Slightly off topic, it's not just BKK that's having 380's removed. My QR12, LHR-DOH flight in mid Oct has been swapped to a 777.

Will miss the onboard bar, but I'm one of those who loves the spaciousness of the 777 J seat & as it's an Awards flight I'll be happy as long as they don't downgrade me!
If I recall correctly, some of the A380s are coming up for a two-week maintenance schedule. I hope this is the reason - I'd be sad if LHR lost the second A380 rotation - and it does seem to be back from end of October. Fingers crossed that holds!

Sorry you'll lose the bar for your flight
Old Aug 9, 2016, 7:28 am

Programs: qatar
Question More equipment changes

Can't believe now qr4 A380 LHR-DOH has been downgraded to a 777 my holiday which I planned to have 3/4 flights on A380 now only have 1!

Does anyone know why they are pulling the A380 from the LHR-DOH route???

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.