Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qatar Airways | Privilege Club
Reload this Page >

QR to and from Bangkok (BKK) - Non Lounge Discussion

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 5, 2015, 10:10 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Matt4
QR to and from Bangkok

What to expect
A recent trip report for this journey, can be found here:

Photos of the Cabin
You will find photos galore of the J cabin on the A380 and 777 which are some of the aircrafts QR use on the DOH-BKK-DOH route.

You will find photos galore of the F cabin on the A380 here.

Aircraft Layouts
A380: 1-2-1 layout in F and J, 3-4-3 (Lower deck) and 2-4-2 (Upper deck, only accessible for OneWorld status passengers unless the lower deck is full) in Y
787: 1-2-1 layout in J and 3-3-3 in Y
777: 2-2-2 layout in J, 3-3-3 or 3-4-3 (QR834 DOH-BKK-HAN, QR835 HAN-BKK-DOH) in Y
A340-600: 2-2-2 layout in J and 2-4-2 in Y

Which Lounge should I use at BKK?
There are multiple lounges to use in Bangkok, and the best option for you will likely be determined by the time of your flight, and the location of your departure gate.

QR are in the process of opening their own lounge in Bangkok, but as of April 2016, we know very little other than it will be located on Concourse D. Until then, QR recommend J and F passengers use the lounges provided by Thai Airways. These lounges are scattered throughout the airport.

For F passengers, you will get an invitation to use the Thai Airways Royal First Lounge, which is located on Concourse E. It is a small area, but QR no longer have an Agreement to use the larger Thai Airways Royal First Lounge on Concourse D. The small area is roped off, and there is a small menu (no buffet), with a decent drinks selection.

For J passengers, and Y passengers with status (Silver and higher) you will receive an invitation to use the Thai Airways Royal Silk Lounge. These are located on Concourse C, Concourse D, and Concourse E. A map of the lounges can be found here.

OneWorld Emerald or Sapphire card holders or F or J passengers have also access to two lounges situated on or near the 3rd floor, Concourse G: the recently-opened (2015) Cathay Pacific Lounge (04:00 to between 18:30 and 01:00), and the Japan Airlines lounge (05:45-09:55, 18:00-00:40). While the CX and JL lounges are quite close together, they can be a distance from the QR gates - so keep an eye on the time!

Connecting from Thai (TG) domestic
Thai will through check-in your bags and facilitate you as a "CIQ" passenger through an airside transfer at BKK. They will do this even if you are travelling to BKK on a completely separate TG ticket, but you will need to show evidence of the QR flight (ticket number or online check-in receipt). This is based on leaving from Chiang Mai, but should work for other Thai airports.

The process is particularly useful in avoiding security queues landside to airside at BKK, and gets neatly around QR's restrictions on check-in opening times at the airport.

CIQ stands for Customs Immigration and Quarantine: nothing to do with Chiquimula airport in Guatamala

Will I be given pyjamas and an amenity kit? Reports vary, but have a look at this thread before flying to prepare your expectations -

What meals are served? This is dependent on the timing of your flight and class of travel, but 1 or 2 full meals are usually offered by QR. Menus can be found via the QR Dashboard. F menus and Y menus are here.

Will I be offered Fast-Track through Immigration?
- Departure from BKK : you will get a Fast-Track (Premium Lane) voucher if travelling in J or F, or travelling in Y with Silver, Gold or Platinum status.
- Arrival to BKK : if you are traveling in J or F, you will be provided with a Fast-Track voucher upon landing in Bangkok. Hold on to your boarding pass as you deplane, as the brown Fast Track vouchers are sometimes given out at the top of the gate rather than on the plane. If you are traveling in Y with Silver, Gold or Platinum status, you have to request the Fast-Track voucher at the QR agent at the gate.

What time does check-in open? Check in opens 3 hours before your departure time. QR police this quite strictly.
Print Wikipost

QR to and from Bangkok (BKK) - Non Lounge Discussion

Search this Thread

Old Oct 6, 2015, 6:57 pm

Programs: The Embassy
Originally Posted by Ronel
there are 4 Thai lounges to choose from, where should I head for?
The one on the right-hand side of gate E (there are two opposite each other) has the best view of the tarmac if that's a factor for you. Otherwise, the long one that's essentially underneath passport control has the best range of seats, and has a separate alcohol bar.
Old Oct 7, 2015, 3:57 am

Programs: Etihad Gold, Qatar Gold, flying Blue, Falcon, Lufthansa, Eva
Originally Posted by Saeagle
Thanks Tartempion. Never realised there were any Thai Lounges that had showers. Have tried to avoid Thai satellite lounges as are always crazy buzy and rubbish food offerings.

Thanks Johnnieboy. I'll ask them if they will check it all the way through to AMS, make life a lot easier.

Kt74, cheers for the advice. I never realised about the showers in the Thai Lounges. Previous occasions have been spent trying to find seats rather than showers . I will ask at check in about straight through baggage check in, but the tickets are on different PNR's, so will that make much difference?
Some of the Thai business lounges also have showers but not all - you need to ask which
Old Oct 7, 2015, 7:37 am

Programs: BA Gold (and other non-status plastic)
Originally Posted by amnicoll
Some of the Thai business lounges also have showers but not all - you need to ask which
Or just read 2 posts up

Originally Posted by kt74
The 4 TG lounges in C and E (but not the main D lounge) have showers on both sides
Old Oct 8, 2015, 3:53 am

Programs: Etihad Gold, Qatar Gold, flying Blue, Falcon, Lufthansa, Eva
Originally Posted by kt74
Or just read 2 posts up
Thanks
Old Oct 14, 2015, 6:43 am

I'm in the main Thai First lounge at the moment. More staff than flyers, can't do enough for you (in a friendly way), comfortable (more "hotel" than "al mourjan"), Thai food was very tasty. Definite upgrade on any of the Thai business lounges. Very relaxing. No krug though for the purists...
Old Oct 22, 2015, 6:17 am

Programs: Aegean Airlines Silver, British Airways Gold, Virgin Atlantic Silver
Originally Posted by Pook
Departed on QR833 last night and right now in DOH waiting for my connecting flight QR003. BKK gate was C3 but used the new CX lounge in concourse G which was a casual 20 minutes stroll to the gate. Nice lounge, Piper Heidsieck cham and freshly made noodles!
In the CX lounge now - very nice indeed 👍 Thanks for the advice
Old Oct 22, 2015, 11:34 am

Programs: QR Platinum
Originally Posted by gallagher
In the CX lounge now - very nice indeed 👍 Thanks for the advice

Have also tried the Qantas lounge which is close. Also nice with self service bar inclusice champagne. The food choice not so large but the lounge very quiet.
Old Oct 23, 2015, 2:18 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold & GGL & CCR, HH Diam, Bonvoy Titanium, IHG Spire, Tastecard
Review of Qatar Business Class 787 and 380 with lots of pictures

as part of a Trip Report on a current trip to Thailand (http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trip-...-amanpuri.html), I've taken lots of pictures and done a review of the Qatar Business Class which I thought I'd share here given we've had various discussions on how good it is, how it rates against BA J and BA F etc.

Page 1 has positioning to ARN and lounge there plus boarding.

Page 2 is mostly about the B787, the DOH lounge and starts on the 380: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trip-...manpuri-2.html

and Page 3 finishes the 380 and has my 'verdict': http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trip-...manpuri-3.html

rather heavy on the pics but I enjoy pics in TRs most.

I am copying my verdict below so that any discussion take place here rather than in the TR.

For anyone interested, a full review (with lots of pics, lol), of the Amanpuri where we are currently staying is coming up in the TR once I've had a chance to catch up.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Verdict on QR Business

as said, BA is my 'home' carrier and I have status there so that's my basis of comparison.

Let's start with the negatives on QR (and if it isn't obvious, I am being nit-picking here):

- the seat is less private than the BA J (or F) seat which is more enclosed. it's in line with many other carriers and no big deal, but having been lucky to fly the last few long-haul sectors in First, when one sleeps, it's one of those "someone could be watching me sleep" feelings (not sure if I am the only one who has that feeling).
- one could also argue that the BA cabin / seat is a bit more "elegant" and calm style wise (very personal views), whilst QR is verging towards a bit of 'bling'.
- we were only addressed by name once when orders were taken on the 2nd flight. I would have at least expected to be addressed by name when orders on the first flight were taken - and possibly even for the crew to be using our names more often.
- there was no status recognition on either flights by neither the crew serving us nor any cabin service manager.
- somewhat linked to the above, the service was 'generic' and I can see why some call it 'robotic'. There was no real 'charm'. I already mentioned that one of my water orders took ages when I was quite thirsty and I think this was partially down to the crew member being in "I am now taking orders for drinks with the meal service" mode rather than "oh, he's thirsty and wants some water". The "good bye and thank you for flying with Qatar" 'greetings' were identical, i.e. the crew member just worked her way from each pax to the next. I personally always think that the BA crew can make or break a flight - a surly / mediocre (or worse) crew will make a flight average at best. Whilst a great engaging crew, who gets 'chatting' and 'engagement' with passengers spot on can really turn a 'flight' into a great experience (especially on special occasions or when travelling with friends etc).
- as mentioned, the TV and the table can't be folded / put away so when sleeping and turning in an 'elaborate way', these can be a bit in the way.
- again, as already mentioned, I wasn't very impressed with my small water bottle being refilled from a large water bottle with both bottle tops touching.

Right, having said all of that, in my opinion, QR Business Class is in a league above BA both in terms of hard product but also soft product.

- the seat is actually very good. similar (if not the same) as the CX and the new AA J. comfortable (obviously flat!). lots of storage space. various clever bits like the arm rests moving independently of each other, etc.
- it's in a 1-2-1 lay-out which means no climbing over other pax and no looking at someone else as all seats are forward facing.
- sleeping wise, there are comfy PJs (in Business - BA does these in F and the QR ones beat the BA F ones), there's a mattress that I think works better than the BA F one - both in that it covers the full seat but also in that it's properly attached (like a bed mattress) so doesn't move around like the BA one does.
- the food beats BA J. it's table cloth service with a bread basket, salt and pepper dispensers etc all in line with BA F and in a league above BA J. the portions are bigger than BA J and I think tastier (though I admit, it's been a while since I haven't flown either BA F or the LCY-JFK service which has different catering).
- it's dine-on-demand on the 380. again, this is in line with BA F, not J.
- the bar is a nice touch and I can see people liking it.
- the DOH lounge beats LHR J lounges any day.
- the DOH connecting experience beats the LHR connection experience (though appreciate that that is not within BA's control).

There's been some discussion recently in the BA forum (and there might have been elsewhere) of whether QR J is as good as BA F.

I've flown a lot of BA on pretty much all of their planes in all classes and very recently on the 380 in F to HKG (plug for the trip report is in post 1). I don't think QR J is as good as BA F. the BA F seat is bigger and more comfortable. the service can / should definitely be better (on the QR 787 there were 2 cabin crew looking after 22 pax (with I think a third in the galley preparing food / service items - but he might have been working down the back as well). BA has 3 crew for 14 pax. the BA F crew is usually much more proactive in terms of service, drinks refills etc whilst as mentioned, the QR service wasn't that proactive.

So, I don't think QR J is as good as BA F (and I think that's what most people would agree with). however, it nearly gives it a run for its money which isn't bad for a J product when it's compared to an F product. As said, QR J is - in my view - in a league above the current BA J product (with crew being the only real area that BA 'wins').

Both of our flights were relatively short - 6 ish hours - which wasn't enough time to enjoy everything that was on offer (eat, sleep, watch a film, use the bar etc). I think now that QR is starting more flights to OZ including SYD, it'll be interesting to see how those routes develop and I will definitely be back on QR (possibly even to SYD though my next trip there is in BA F (I was toying with the idea of doing it in QR J instead but am glad I did go for BA F)) - not least given their very aggressive and attractive pricing.

clearly, everything is subjective but wanted to reflect on these and the BA vs QR comparison.
Old Oct 23, 2015, 2:29 am

Programs: BA Silver, ZSL Silver
Great report, Chris1979. For someone who has not been to Thailand or flown on QR, this gives an excellent taste of what it's like. Had Viking not come up, we'd have probably booked a holiday out east, flying on QR so this is really interesting for future trip ideas. (We're going to Norway/SFO in May and prices in CA mean that another big trip in close proximity is not really affordable.) Thanks for sharing.
Old Oct 23, 2015, 2:32 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Thanks for the review and photos of your recent trip.

There seem to be quite a few comparisons between BA and QR popping up recently, which personally I think is a good thing.

Certainly whenever I travel on QR, I see numerous BAEC card holders on-board (identifiable by their shiny tags), so it's good to see more and more people trying QR.

On a different note, could I trouble you to also post a link to this thread over on the QR Forum?
Old Oct 23, 2015, 2:47 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, HH Diamond, Avis PP. Dropped UA*G.
I agree with much of what you say, although I find the seats no less private than BA J on the basis that you are not climbing over someone/being climbed over in the 'non special' CW seats.

For me, the thing I noticed that was more striking was the amount of room one has to work in on QR J - this is my laptop swimming in the space available. https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...able_space.jpg
Old Oct 23, 2015, 2:57 am

Programs: BA Gold, AA Lifetime Gold 1.8mm, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold et al
I don't read anything I strongly disagree with in this very readable and objective review - thanks for posting it.

QR's 787 & 380 J cabins are very good and for a couple I aslo like the 777 but I just wish they would offer them on at least 1 of twice daily MAN-DOH service. The 330/340's are pretty poor by comparison.
Old Oct 23, 2015, 3:00 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Blueboys999
I don't read anything I strongly disagree with in this very readable and objective review - thanks for posting it.

QR's 787 & 380 J cabins are very good and for a couple I aslo like the 777 but I just wish they would offer them on at least 1 of twice daily MAN-DOH service. The 330/340's are pretty poor by comparison.
The 340's all have a new cabin now, which looks rather nice - it's the one AA use on the A321T

Flying it DOH-KUL in Jan, so can report back more then
Old Oct 23, 2015, 3:02 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Originally Posted by darthlemsip
The 340's all have a new cabin now
And the majority of the A330's utilised for the MAN route have been refurbushed to the new cabin design and seats (at least in J).
Old Oct 23, 2015, 3:09 am

Programs: BA Gold, AA Lifetime Gold 1.8mm, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold et al
Originally Posted by darthlemsip
The 340's all have a new cabin now, which looks rather nice - it's the one AA use on the A321T

Flying it DOH-KUL in Jan, so can report back more then
Originally Posted by msm2000uk
And the majority of the A330's utilised for the MAN route have been refurbushed to the new cabin design and seats (at least in J).
Good to know - Is it possible to identify the newer versions from the seat map?

I flew DOH-MAN only a couple of months ago and that certainly hadn't been updated. Your report back would definitely be of interest.

I actually like the morning KUL-DOH 777 service which connects nicely to the lunchtime connections to the UK so I can be at home the same day without overnight travel. I think I actually prefer that when I'm travelling with a companion.

Last edited by Blueboys999; Oct 23, 2015 at 3:15 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.