Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qatar Airways | Privilege Club
Reload this Page >

QR to and from Bangkok (BKK) - Non Lounge Discussion

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 5, 2015, 10:10 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Matt4
QR to and from Bangkok

What to expect
A recent trip report for this journey, can be found here:

Photos of the Cabin
You will find photos galore of the J cabin on the A380 and 777 which are some of the aircrafts QR use on the DOH-BKK-DOH route.

You will find photos galore of the F cabin on the A380 here.

Aircraft Layouts
A380: 1-2-1 layout in F and J, 3-4-3 (Lower deck) and 2-4-2 (Upper deck, only accessible for OneWorld status passengers unless the lower deck is full) in Y
787: 1-2-1 layout in J and 3-3-3 in Y
777: 2-2-2 layout in J, 3-3-3 or 3-4-3 (QR834 DOH-BKK-HAN, QR835 HAN-BKK-DOH) in Y
A340-600: 2-2-2 layout in J and 2-4-2 in Y

Which Lounge should I use at BKK?
There are multiple lounges to use in Bangkok, and the best option for you will likely be determined by the time of your flight, and the location of your departure gate.

QR are in the process of opening their own lounge in Bangkok, but as of April 2016, we know very little other than it will be located on Concourse D. Until then, QR recommend J and F passengers use the lounges provided by Thai Airways. These lounges are scattered throughout the airport.

For F passengers, you will get an invitation to use the Thai Airways Royal First Lounge, which is located on Concourse E. It is a small area, but QR no longer have an Agreement to use the larger Thai Airways Royal First Lounge on Concourse D. The small area is roped off, and there is a small menu (no buffet), with a decent drinks selection.

For J passengers, and Y passengers with status (Silver and higher) you will receive an invitation to use the Thai Airways Royal Silk Lounge. These are located on Concourse C, Concourse D, and Concourse E. A map of the lounges can be found here.

OneWorld Emerald or Sapphire card holders or F or J passengers have also access to two lounges situated on or near the 3rd floor, Concourse G: the recently-opened (2015) Cathay Pacific Lounge (04:00 to between 18:30 and 01:00), and the Japan Airlines lounge (05:45-09:55, 18:00-00:40). While the CX and JL lounges are quite close together, they can be a distance from the QR gates - so keep an eye on the time!

Connecting from Thai (TG) domestic
Thai will through check-in your bags and facilitate you as a "CIQ" passenger through an airside transfer at BKK. They will do this even if you are travelling to BKK on a completely separate TG ticket, but you will need to show evidence of the QR flight (ticket number or online check-in receipt). This is based on leaving from Chiang Mai, but should work for other Thai airports.

The process is particularly useful in avoiding security queues landside to airside at BKK, and gets neatly around QR's restrictions on check-in opening times at the airport.

CIQ stands for Customs Immigration and Quarantine: nothing to do with Chiquimula airport in Guatamala

Will I be given pyjamas and an amenity kit? Reports vary, but have a look at this thread before flying to prepare your expectations -

What meals are served? This is dependent on the timing of your flight and class of travel, but 1 or 2 full meals are usually offered by QR. Menus can be found via the QR Dashboard. F menus and Y menus are here.

Will I be offered Fast-Track through Immigration?
- Departure from BKK : you will get a Fast-Track (Premium Lane) voucher if travelling in J or F, or travelling in Y with Silver, Gold or Platinum status.
- Arrival to BKK : if you are traveling in J or F, you will be provided with a Fast-Track voucher upon landing in Bangkok. Hold on to your boarding pass as you deplane, as the brown Fast Track vouchers are sometimes given out at the top of the gate rather than on the plane. If you are traveling in Y with Silver, Gold or Platinum status, you have to request the Fast-Track voucher at the QR agent at the gate.

What time does check-in open? Check in opens 3 hours before your departure time. QR police this quite strictly.
Print Wikipost

QR to and from Bangkok (BKK) - Non Lounge Discussion

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23, 2019, 4:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by Traveller999
Yes, but that does not change the fact, that QRPC Gold and Platinum Members do not get Fast Track access in Bangkok anymore (if they are travelling in Y)...and that was the information I wanted to transport
Right. I was just pointing out that the decision was not QR's.
Old Jul 25, 2019, 2:17 am

Programs: QR Platinum, WY Gold, Shangri-la Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Oh, that's sad...

I fondly remember my first ever flight with QR as a no-status-nobody. I was travelling BKK-HAN in Economy and I was given a fast-track pass at check-in.

That pretty much set the tone for the flight and I was completely wowed from then on
Matt4 and Traveller999 like this.
Old Jul 25, 2019, 2:49 am

Programs: QR Platinum, Star Alliance Gold (LH Sen)
Originally Posted by purple1addict
Oh, that's sad...

I fondly remember my first ever flight with QR as a no-status-nobody. I was travelling BKK-HAN in Economy and I was given a fast-track pass at check-in.

That pretty much set the tone for the flight and I was completely wowed from then on
That times are now the past....
NoY and purple1addict like this.
Old Jul 25, 2019, 11:56 am

Programs: Emirates Skywards, KLM Flying blue, Qatar Airways Privilege club, GHA Discovery
Today I arrived in Bangkok, coming from Doha (8AM flight).
Flying in J doesn’t give you the premium lane voucher anymore, a lady sitting in front of the premium lane is checking the boardingpasses themselves...

When flying business I was able to use the premium lane (it took me 2 minutes to pass customs).
Old Jul 25, 2019, 9:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by Daandeluxe
Flying in J doesn’t give you the premium lane voucher anymore, a lady sitting in front of the premium lane is checking the boardingpasses themselves...
There are no more premium lane vouchers at BKK any more, both departing and arriving.
Old Jul 26, 2019, 1:39 am

When flying business I was able to use the premium lane (it took me 2 minutes to pass customs).
Do you mean immigration? Customs is normally a walk through IME, but could become interesting if all bags are to be X-rayed before the luggage belts, with these facilities due to be in place this year. Personally I don't expect them all to be staffed at all times but it could cause issues.
Old Jul 26, 2019, 6:43 am

Programs: Emirates Skywards, KLM Flying blue, Qatar Airways Privilege club, GHA Discovery
Originally Posted by ft101
Do you mean immigration? Customs is normally a walk through IME, but could become interesting if all bags are to be X-rayed before the luggage belts, with these facilities due to be in place this year. Personally I don't expect them all to be staffed at all times but it could cause issues.
Appologies, I meant Immigration 😎
Exactly, in my 23 previous visits I was never halted by customs in BKK...
Old Jul 30, 2019, 5:49 am

Programs: MAR AMB, WOH Explorist, AA EXP, UA 2P
Sorry for not reading the whole thread, but will I be able to check in for the 2:10 am flight to DOH (837) around 7 pm the previous evening? It seems like check in will be open for one of the other flights to DOH that night and flying business if it matters. We would be then leaving the airport to get dinner/drinks and returning around 11 or 12.
Old Jul 30, 2019, 8:59 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH SEN , A3*G & others less exciting that don't fit in my wallet
Originally Posted by EvilDoctorK
( I think there used to be a Bangkok specific thread, but I can't find one other than for the lounges .. if there is one please merge )

Arriving in on a Friday evening into BKK on QR832 in business .. it's due in at 1900 .. Is it plausible to try to connect on the last flight to SIN that evening which is at 2110 ( Singapore Airlines) or 2120 ( Jetstar Asia ) ... I believe fast track immigration vouchers will be given out to Business passengers , I'll have luggage so will need to exit and recheck ( travelling LHR-DOH-BKK and first leg is on BA and the connection would be a separate ticket so not even worth asking I don't think on through checking the luggage )

Or if anyone has any other good ideas for how to get to Semarang in Indonesia ( no direct flights from BKK, but there are from SIN or KUL .. but KUL has no late flights at all from BKK - obviously it would have been a better idea to fly not into BKK in the first place, but too late for that ! )
In case it's of any use to anyone this ended up working out just fine ... the QR832 was right on time landed a few minutes before 1900 and was on the gate a couple of minutes afterwards ( Gate G something, so relatively long walk to immigration ) .. Premium immigration was fast ( regular immigration didn't look like much of an issue at all) and bags were just starting to come up on the belt when we arrived there - was exiting customs with about 20 minutes of gate arrival ... Overall was able to make it to Singapore Airlines checkin upstairs just after 1930 , so easily an hour to spare to catch the last flight to SIN
nilsfr69 likes this.
Old Jul 30, 2019, 10:18 am

Programs: BAEC
Today I arrived in Bangkok, coming from Doha (8AM flight).

Do they scan the boarding pass, or just look at it?
Old Jul 30, 2019, 11:41 am

Originally Posted by plunet
in my experience they only look at it and check if you flew Business or First.
Old Jul 30, 2019, 9:49 pm

Programs: Baec
Originally Posted by plunet
Just look. Not thinking of tipexing an economy boarding pass are we?
Old Jul 30, 2019, 10:16 pm

Programs: EY, QR Platinum, BA Gold
Last week going out and returning yesterday they just looked at the boarding passes before entering the premium lane but they have no scanners. They now do finger print scans (both hands four fingers and thumbs) which took a few minutes going out but once your in the system it's quicker as when I entered last night I only put 4 fingers down and it showed me in the system so was waved right through after stamping passport.
Old Jul 31, 2019, 1:21 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by thinkingallowed

Just look. Not thinking of tipexing an economy boarding pass are we?
Personally not. Seems like a very typical low-tech Thai solution to something. But thinking about this, tippex is so last century, I guess someone with a few hours to waste on a flight in economy might be able to upgrade a copy of their mobile boarding pass with an image editor...
Old Jul 31, 2019, 7:30 am

Programs: MAR AMB, WOH Explorist, AA EXP, UA 2P
Originally Posted by iadisgreat
Sorry for not reading the whole thread, but will I be able to check in for the 2:10 am flight to DOH (837) around 7 pm the previous evening? It seems like check in will be open for one of the other flights to DOH that night and flying business if it matters. We would be then leaving the airport to get dinner/drinks and returning around 11 or 12.
The answer is no, they told me to come back after 11. Traveling in J if it matters.
flightcrew1 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.