Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qatar Airways | Privilege Club
Reload this Page >

QR to and from Bangkok (BKK) - Non Lounge Discussion

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 5, 2015, 10:10 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Matt4
QR to and from Bangkok

What to expect
A recent trip report for this journey, can be found here:

Photos of the Cabin
You will find photos galore of the J cabin on the A380 and 777 which are some of the aircrafts QR use on the DOH-BKK-DOH route.

You will find photos galore of the F cabin on the A380 here.

Aircraft Layouts
A380: 1-2-1 layout in F and J, 3-4-3 (Lower deck) and 2-4-2 (Upper deck, only accessible for OneWorld status passengers unless the lower deck is full) in Y
787: 1-2-1 layout in J and 3-3-3 in Y
777: 2-2-2 layout in J, 3-3-3 or 3-4-3 (QR834 DOH-BKK-HAN, QR835 HAN-BKK-DOH) in Y
A340-600: 2-2-2 layout in J and 2-4-2 in Y

Which Lounge should I use at BKK?
There are multiple lounges to use in Bangkok, and the best option for you will likely be determined by the time of your flight, and the location of your departure gate.

QR are in the process of opening their own lounge in Bangkok, but as of April 2016, we know very little other than it will be located on Concourse D. Until then, QR recommend J and F passengers use the lounges provided by Thai Airways. These lounges are scattered throughout the airport.

For F passengers, you will get an invitation to use the Thai Airways Royal First Lounge, which is located on Concourse E. It is a small area, but QR no longer have an Agreement to use the larger Thai Airways Royal First Lounge on Concourse D. The small area is roped off, and there is a small menu (no buffet), with a decent drinks selection.

For J passengers, and Y passengers with status (Silver and higher) you will receive an invitation to use the Thai Airways Royal Silk Lounge. These are located on Concourse C, Concourse D, and Concourse E. A map of the lounges can be found here.

OneWorld Emerald or Sapphire card holders or F or J passengers have also access to two lounges situated on or near the 3rd floor, Concourse G: the recently-opened (2015) Cathay Pacific Lounge (04:00 to between 18:30 and 01:00), and the Japan Airlines lounge (05:45-09:55, 18:00-00:40). While the CX and JL lounges are quite close together, they can be a distance from the QR gates - so keep an eye on the time!

Connecting from Thai (TG) domestic
Thai will through check-in your bags and facilitate you as a "CIQ" passenger through an airside transfer at BKK. They will do this even if you are travelling to BKK on a completely separate TG ticket, but you will need to show evidence of the QR flight (ticket number or online check-in receipt). This is based on leaving from Chiang Mai, but should work for other Thai airports.

The process is particularly useful in avoiding security queues landside to airside at BKK, and gets neatly around QR's restrictions on check-in opening times at the airport.

CIQ stands for Customs Immigration and Quarantine: nothing to do with Chiquimula airport in Guatamala

Will I be given pyjamas and an amenity kit? Reports vary, but have a look at this thread before flying to prepare your expectations -

What meals are served? This is dependent on the timing of your flight and class of travel, but 1 or 2 full meals are usually offered by QR. Menus can be found via the QR Dashboard. F menus and Y menus are here.

Will I be offered Fast-Track through Immigration?
- Departure from BKK : you will get a Fast-Track (Premium Lane) voucher if travelling in J or F, or travelling in Y with Silver, Gold or Platinum status.
- Arrival to BKK : if you are traveling in J or F, you will be provided with a Fast-Track voucher upon landing in Bangkok. Hold on to your boarding pass as you deplane, as the brown Fast Track vouchers are sometimes given out at the top of the gate rather than on the plane. If you are traveling in Y with Silver, Gold or Platinum status, you have to request the Fast-Track voucher at the QR agent at the gate.

What time does check-in open? Check in opens 3 hours before your departure time. QR police this quite strictly.
Print Wikipost

QR to and from Bangkok (BKK) - Non Lounge Discussion

Search this Thread

Old Oct 30, 2018, 4:35 am

Programs: Etihad Gold, Qatar Gold, flying Blue, Falcon, Lufthansa, Eva
Originally Posted by IAN-UK
Only if they'd managed to sell seats through tour operators: but that would probably have diluted yield even further. Loads aren't so important: yield is king.

The mad idea that Pattaya-bound tourists would pay a premium to save 30 minutes on the transfer time from BKK was silly. Utapao is a regional low-cost destination par excellence. I guess it could become a low-cost long-haul alternative to BKK, but that's not Qatar's game: leave that to Norwegian.

The idea was almost as silly as the notion that business travellers would use a service lacking frequency, sacrificing the city delights of Bangkok, simply to land closer to the industrial areas of Rayong. A (successful) analogy might be Lufthansa's Mumbai / Pune services - but there the distances and inconvenience is greater, while Mumbai holds few attractions. And of course Lufthansa maintains a close commercial relationship with home-based companies working in Pune - but even so, the PNQ service has had rocky moments.
You talk about a premium but when I looked at the business fares and compared them to bangkok on the same day they were much cheaper, one of the secrets to a good airport is access and egress and here it fails the test miserably
Old Oct 30, 2018, 4:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by amnicoll
You talk about a premium but when I looked at the business fares and compared them to bangkok on the same day they were much cheaper
Perhaps chalk that up to the death throes of the route, though sensibly they were always going to be lucky to sell business-class at satisfying premiums. Pattaya ain't Nice. The bead and butter was in the economy cabin.

Originally Posted by amnicoll
....one of the secrets to a good airport is access and egress and here it fails the test miserably
the greatest joy of Utapao is the relative ease of getting through the airport, compared to the distances, lines and general faff at BKK. And, sure, it's always great to have good public transport at an airport, but taxis rarely break the bank in Thailand.

Though I have to declare I've only used the airport on a weekend Air Asia trip from KL: and from that perspective it did just fine. I was picked up by a friend, but the Grab back to the airport was expensive compared to the cost of my air ticket.
Old Oct 30, 2018, 5:02 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Why do QR have so many flights to BKK?

Simple. Because EK do!

M
Traveller999 likes this.
Old Oct 30, 2018, 5:26 am

Programs: Etihad Gold, Qatar Gold, flying Blue, Falcon, Lufthansa, Eva
Originally Posted by IAN-UK
Perhaps chalk that up to the death throes of the route, though sensibly they were always going to be lucky to sell business-class at satisfying premiums. Pattaya ain't Nice. The bead and butter was in the economy cabin.

the greatest joy of Utapao is the relative ease of getting through the airport, compared to the distances, lines and general faff at BKK. And, sure, it's always great to have good public transport at an airport, but taxis rarely break the bank in Thailand.

Though I have to declare I've only used the airport on a weekend Air Asia trip from KL: and from that perspective it did just fine. I was picked up by a friend, but the Grab back to the airport was expensive compared to the cost of my air ticket.
I agree about the joys of the small airport in general (although at some they seem surprised by the arrival of a plane and the luggage can take a a long time to appear) It surprises me that some of the Thai airports simply do not understand the benefits of good links - I was going to fly to Trat but the cost of a taxi into town was going to cost more than the ticket. Narathiwat has two flights a day but there are mini vans into town for a reasonable price from the airport so happy to use them
Old Oct 31, 2018, 5:04 am

Programs: DL SkyMiles PM/2MM, AA Plat, IC Diam. Amb., Peninsula regular, amanjunkie
Well, as it turned out, despite down-gauging from A388 to 77L, load was light on my QR 833 on Monday October 30. Second J cabin had only 4 of 18 seats occupied. Not sure why I had such trouble picking seats. I didn’t look closely at Y but I sensed it was pretty light. When I boarded at 25 mins before scheduled departure, all of Y was already aboard. I know QR boards early and that’s not terribly unusual, but it’s a datapoint.
Old Nov 4, 2018, 1:04 am

Hi, does QR use Qsuites on the 777 flights to BKK? I am referring in particular to QR 0980 next February. I am familiar with QR last minute plane swaps but was just wondering. Thanks!
Old Nov 5, 2018, 1:33 am

Programs: QR Platinum, Star Alliance Gold (LH Sen)
Originally Posted by Mister P.
Hi, does QR use Qsuites on the 777 flights to BKK? I am referring in particular to QR 0980 next February. I am familiar with QR last minute plane swaps but was just wondering. Thanks!
As per information of today, only QR830 and QR831 are QSuite flights....but, who knows what will happen / change - we are talking about QR ;-)
Old Jan 21, 2019, 3:17 am

Programs: QR Platinum
Seems like QR830 is going to be operated by a A330 after March. QSuites on QR832 replacing the A380. Again these will probably change knowing QR's history.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 3:49 am

Programs: Nothing shiny :-(
For those with crystal balls, if I am flying next January, am I most likely to find QSuites on QR834, QR980 or QR836?
Old Jan 29, 2019, 12:42 am

Programs: Ba gold, gha black
Airframe Swap BKK

First of all i booked 12hours before the end of the sale in January 17th or whenever it was because i thought it would not be extended... Then i booked QR830 and QR831 for May based off the Qatar homepage that these planes are guaranteed Q-Suites.. Then i look less than two weeks later and they are now an a330-300 on this route. I know you shouldnt book because of a specific plane but i feel very disappointed with the initial experience and i haven't even got on the plane yet.
Traveller999 likes this.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 3:00 am

Programs: QR Plat
Welcome to the QR forum, and a very warm welcome to rule #1 .

Some destinations are worse than others, and BKK is one of thos destinations where if you book the ticket more than 15 minutes ahead of boarding you do get the full pleasure of QRs lottery allocation of aircraft.

If it offers any consolation, I booked a ticket during the same sale to a nearby destination, and adly have been switched *to* a QSuite layout, and wished it wasn't so.

-A
Abyssin and Traveller999 like this.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 12:29 am

Programs: Ba gold, gha black
Thankyou for the response. Nevertheless, if Qatar runs a sale to get people to buy tickets, advertises on the website that the flight to pick would be QR830 /831, then i think it is fair that the passenger should reasonably expect this, no? Why do they have to chop and change aircrafts so much anyway/routes? I think you get reasonable expectancy with British Airways what plane you are on when booking.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 3:06 am

Programs: QR Plat
Originally Posted by copenhagenBA
Thankyou for the response. Nevertheless, if Qatar runs a sale to get people to buy tickets, advertises on the website that the flight to pick would be QR830 /831, then i think it is fair that the passenger should reasonably expect this, no? Why do they have to chop and change aircrafts so much anyway/routes? I think you get reasonable expectancy with British Airways what plane you are on when booking.
Qatar is (in)famous for hyping the latest product in their marketing, and then swapping thigns around. Some routes are more affected than others, and BKK has always been one of the worst. Qatar is also (in)famous for not really caring what a customer should reasonably expect and will mostly not even answer you if you complain about this.Their claim to fame is being a 2,5 star airline (5 stars in the air, 1 star customer service in Doha).

-A
Old Jan 30, 2019, 7:56 am

Programs: QRPC Plat; Marriott Plat; Hilton Gold
May is still a long time away.. it could swap back so don't worry toomuch
Old Jan 30, 2019, 10:18 am

Programs: qr
I agree that aircraft swaps do happen as they do in most other carriers. I suffered a Q SUITE swap when they first entered service (aircraft was BED) only a few days before flying from LHR . Ironically in checking later on after my trip BED did not operate that rotation for one day in the whole month of July- was unlucky. Sucked it up and still enjoyed the old style 777 which in my view is still a nice configuration. Having travelled numerous time son BKK sectors I have yet to encounter a swap from original allocated aircraft - again must have just been my luck but always in the back of my mind I knew it could happen. Would have been annoying as 4 times I booked the A380 hoping to upgrade to first to burn Credits and expiring miles - all of which were successful , had a swap taken place it would have been a futile exercise.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.