FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Qatar Airways | Privilege Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qatar-airways-privilege-club-644/)
-   -   319/330/340/380/777 (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qatar-airways-privilege-club/1645170-319-330-340-380-777-a.html)

v2837v Jan 12, 2015 3:18 am

319/330/340/380/777

Good Morning

I have yet to fly Qatar and it is very exciting to see them join the oneworld alliance. I have an upcoming trip to Asia and I normally fly direct with BA but I'm tempted to try Qatar this time (there is an added attraction with Qatar J as it basically allows me to earn twice the TPs I would normally earn on this segment!!)

Outbound from LHR to DOH, I have choices with A319, 330, 340, 380 and 777. A 330 and 340 appear to be the most convenient of all the choices but I hear they normally have the old cabin and it does seem a bit out dated when compared to the 380 hard product. I would have loved to try the 787 but they are sold out for the dates I'm after (March 19th)

I hear that Qatar is trying to update these birds with the new cabin and would be very helpful if the experts here have any insight on this.

Would having a lay over of say 10+ hours in Doha worth the hassle for flying A380 outbound from London (Is the hard product that superior than the other options? My other concern is what if they replace the aircraft at the last minute due to operational reasons as that would be a real shame!

A319 is another option I could look at but doesn't seem very attractive to me (I'm a single traveler and prefer the 1-2-1 layout).

Thanks all

Cheers
V

TheDinge Jan 12, 2015 6:01 am

Originally Posted by v2837v (Post 24148706)
Good Morning

I have yet to fly Qatar and it is very exciting to see them join the oneworld alliance. I have an upcoming trip to Asia and I normally fly direct with BA but I'm tempted to try Qatar this time (there is an added attraction with Qatar J as it basically allows me to earn twice the TPs I would normally earn on this segment!!)

Outbound from LHR to DOH, I have choices with A319, 330, 340, 380 and 777. A 330 and 340 appear to be the most convenient of all the choices but I hear they normally have the old cabin and it does seem a bit out dated when compared to the 380 hard product. I would have loved to try the 787 but they are sold out for the dates I'm after (March 19th)

I hear that Qatar is trying to update these birds with the new cabin and would be very helpful if the experts here have any insight on this.

Would having a lay over of say 10+ hours in Doha worth the hassle for flying A380 outbound from London (Is the hard product that superior than the other options? My other concern is what if they replace the aircraft at the last minute due to operational reasons as that would be a real shame!

A319 is another option I could look at but doesn't seem very attractive to me (I'm a single traveler and prefer the 1-2-1 layout).

Thanks all

Cheers
V

It is almost impossible that they will replace the A380 by other aircraft unless there is a technical issue. However, I don't think its worthy to spend 10 hours in the airport just to try out the A380.

QR only offers 180 degree flat bed on B777(2-2-2) and A319(2-2), and 1-2-1 configuration is only available on B787 and A380 which I don't think you will take so A319 might not actually be a bad option.

Also QR2 (A340) has been replaced by an A380 a few times so far for some reason and I personally think it will happen more frequently when QR receives a few more A380s.

QatarA340 Jan 12, 2015 4:12 pm

The A319 is very very rarely full. Most likely the loads are less than 20 pax so I would take this option.

TheDinge Jan 13, 2015 1:24 am

Originally Posted by QatarA340 (Post 24153191)
The A319 is very very rarely full. Most likely the loads are less than 20 pax so I would take this option.

I really don't think they should make the A319 'business one' cause it can barely take any cargo. Maybe flying it to middle-size airports in Western Europe like LUX or NCE with Y class and A332 on QR15 at first place would be a better option

They are not going to refurbish the it back to normal configuration anyway....

They can possibly operate business one to DXB twice a day and can hopefully get some J class O&D from Dubai to minimize the loss.

mitwg Jan 13, 2015 1:41 am

I've flown on the A319 few times and its by far my favorite flight out of LHR. Timing is perfect, where you can have a relaxed dinner at the lounge then pretty much jump into PJs as soon as you are on board and go to sleep immediately.

The aircraft is divided into two sections and loads are usually very light so you'll never have more than 2-3 other passengers in your section. Last QR16 I did, there were more crew than passengers and my section (I was in 1A) and just one more person in 1K.

The 777 isn't too bad either imo. Most people frown upon the 2-2-2 config (and I do too for other airlines), but QR's 77W setup is really spacious that you get 4 windows per row and its not at all too difficult to climb over your neighbour. Apart from direct aisle accessibility and new seat features like storage or connectivity, I think the 777 seat isn't too uncomfortable compared to the newer reverse herringbone seats.

The only thing going for the A380 is the on-board bar, along with the fact that it is a very quiet plane to fly. But it won't match the 'coziness' of the A319 config as the flight is bound to have more people. If this is important to you, the A380 gets a bigger amenity kit with Giorgio Armani branded stuff, whereas the other flights come with the standard Salvatore Ferragamo stuff.

freddo Jan 13, 2015 3:16 pm

My vote goes for the A380 if this is your first time, and if you like the wow factor...+1because it's new :) otherwise the A319 for its cosy-ness, and the 777 ...which is also spacious. I really like the 777 2-2-2 config, much better than EK 2-3-2. I'd avoid the unrefurbished 330s and older 340s.

Armani kits were given out on my recent 787 BRU and 330 KUL flights last week. Until 2 weeks back there were Ferragamo. Either new stock or extras from A380... Sometimes hard to tell with QR...I've had Dior kits last year on my 777 to IAH!

v2837v Jan 13, 2015 4:13 pm

Thanks everyone. I'm now tempted with A319 but just trying to see if I can fly A380 on outbound and A319 inbound. Have to find a way to kill 10 hour+ in DOH. Museum of Islamic Art looks interesting. Have always stayed away from the middle eastern carriers purely because of the lack of alliance and now QR makes things very interesting. Frankly QR' business offering makes BA' club world look like economy. Do they offer all the bells and whistles which the middle eastern carriers typically do such as chauffeur service, hotels in DOH for long layovers etc?

Separately, I'm guessing A319 is not a sleeper service akin to the BA ones (reduced meal service?)

mitwg Jan 13, 2015 8:10 pm

Originally Posted by v2837v (Post 24161264)
Thanks everyone. I'm now tempted with A319 but just trying to see if I can fly A380 on outbound and A319 inbound. Have to find a way to kill 10 hour+ in DOH. Museum of Islamic Art looks interesting. Have always stayed away from the middle eastern carriers purely because of the lack of alliance and now QR makes things very interesting. Frankly QR' business offering makes BA' club world look like economy. Do they offer all the bells and whistles which the middle eastern carriers typically do such as chauffeur service, hotels in DOH for long layovers etc?

Separately, I'm guessing A319 is not a sleeper service akin to the BA ones (reduced meal service?)

I've not used it myself, but I think QR do provide hotels for a long layover with some rules. AFAIK, the idea is the long connection must be forced so if you have a 10 hour layover but if that is only because you've planned your journey that way (i.e. there are two flights that let you connect faster that you voluntarily chose not to go on), then you won't get the free layover hotel.

The A319 inbound QR15 to LHR is just like a normal service (its actually supposed to be a class above business, called business one but I see this as a marketing gimmick) whereas the outbound QR16 kind of operates like a sleeper service due to its timing.

But nevertheless, QR offers dining on demand on all of their LHR J flights so you can choose to have a 5 course meal even if you wanted to, whether its the A319 or A380 or whatever.

And while you are at DOH for a while without much plans, you should definitely check out the Souq Waqif

TheDinge Jan 14, 2015 12:52 am

I don't think QR provides chauffeur service but Im sure taxi in Doha would be quite cheap.

QR16 is a normal flight with normal service.

Garbageman Jan 14, 2015 2:49 am

Originally Posted by mitwg (Post 24162464)
I've not used it myself, but I think QR do provide hotels for a long layover with some rules. AFAIK, the idea is the long connection must be forced so if you have a 10 hour layover but if that is only because you've planned your journey that way (i.e. there are two flights that let you connect faster that you voluntarily chose not to go on), then you won't get the free layover hotel.

This is correct. I requested a hotel for a long layover ICN-DOH-LHR, and was denied as there were alternative itineraries that would have resulted in a shorter layover (although they were also quite a bit more expensive).

freddo Jan 16, 2015 12:36 pm

Unlike EK, QR doesn't offer any limo service.