FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Qatar Airways | Privilege Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qatar-airways-privilege-club-644/)
-   -   Will you continue flying QR if it was dry? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qatar-airways-privilege-club/1642596-will-you-continue-flying-qr-if-dry.html)

N1Rotate Jan 4, 2015 7:06 am

Will you continue flying QR if it was dry?

There is strong societal pressure within the Qatari population to ban alcohol on board Qatar Airways, the demand increases whenever there is a news story about alcohol based incidents or alcohol related disruptive passenger issues such as the recent diversion of a JFK-DOH flight.

Would you continue flying QR if it was dry? if the answer is no, what if fares are lower than current levels and some other amenities are introduced instead?

sturejan Jan 4, 2015 7:20 am

No, I wouldn't!

impeymac Jan 4, 2015 7:27 am

Originally Posted by N1Rotate (Post 24098053)
There is strong societal pressure within the Qatari population to ban alcohol on board Qatar Airways, the demand increases whenever there is a news story about alcohol based incidents or alcohol related disruptive passenger issues such as the recent diversion of a JFK-DOH flight.

Would you continue flying QR if it was dry? if the answer is no, what if fares are lower than current levels and some other amenities are introduced instead?

For me & Mrs IM, probably not, fares & other amenities would have to change substantially to even consider it. Alcohol isn't the be-all & end-all but it adds to our general enjoyment of the premium experience, especially considering most of our flights are self financed & for pleasure rather than business.

Work-Shy Jan 4, 2015 7:30 am

I probably wouldn't continue to fly QR if they made such a backwards move. QR are currently my airline of choice from the UAE due to price, schedules and OneWorld partnership. However, I am lucky there are many other options if required.

Personally, I don't see a ban on alcohol happening. Can you imagine the likes of EY + EK going down that route? Exactly!

Maybe those who object could fly Saudia, Egypt Air or Royal Brunei....

NoY Jan 4, 2015 7:50 am

Absolutely would not fly them if they went “dry”. We enjoy a drink when flying as 90%+ is leisure flying and it adds to the overall enjoyment of travelling. QR is not my airline of choice from UAE as their schedules just don’t work for me (CX, EY & SQ do work :cool:) but I want to give them a good crack sooner or later if they remain as is.

SinkOrSwim Jan 4, 2015 7:54 am

It won't happen. There are as many Qataris who wouldn't want such a ban, plus Al Baker is very savvy and there is a lot of money being made from it (not least because QR own the rights to ALL alcohol sold in Qatar to the expat market).

sammy7 Jan 4, 2015 10:28 am

I certainly would fly it dry if offered competitive rates. Ultimately I fly to get to my destination, free drinks on a flight are a perk, not the purpose for the flight.

Sixth Freedom Jan 4, 2015 11:28 am

QR will never be a dry airline as long as the political status in Qatar is unchanged.

A while back some of the Qatari loonies demanded that every passenger should be provided with a space to pray and funnily enough that did not happen either...

QatarA340 Jan 4, 2015 11:53 am

Although I think all airlines should be dry considering the dangers of intoxication on board, I don't think QR will go dry. It will be suicide for them. I don't drink and never will, and I wish other people won't.

FlyerTalker688786 Jan 4, 2015 1:09 pm

I would never think Qatar to be a dry airline. But, I would not say never that if Qatar is to charge alcohol drinks in Y class in non-meal times in order to curb alcohol consumption on board.

Pooh Jan 4, 2015 4:31 pm

I drink, but I'd definitely continue to use QR if it went dry. I value convenient connections and flight times more than taking a swig while up in the air.

hein Jan 4, 2015 4:46 pm

I would stop flying Qatar if they told me to get circumcised

ppp909 Jan 4, 2015 5:22 pm

I tend not to drink much when flying anyway so if Qatar were dry I probably would still use them. I do like a glass of wine with a meal though and will usually have a beer on my way home if I've been away with work for the day somewhere close to home. That doesn't apply to Qatar for me though as I'm UK based.

VH-RMD Jan 5, 2015 2:07 am

No way!

aceboy44 Jan 5, 2015 2:56 am

Originally Posted by Work-Shy (Post 24098141)
Maybe those who object could fly Saudia, Egypt Air or Royal Brunei....

None of the mentioned airlines above are as good as QR, EK, and EY, and Kuwait Airways fleet is aging, so in this case what's the win-win solution here?