Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qatar Airways | Privilege Club
Reload this Page >

Will you continue flying QR if it was dry?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9, 2015, 6:21 am

Programs: DL Diamond, AA EXP & UA Gold
Originally Posted by RBH58
No I would not. Not that I drink a lot, I just have no time for other people's religious dogma being imposed on me
Bravo.

You're against drinking? Then don't drink. The overwhelming majority of passengers who consume alcohol are perfectly well mannered. Leave them/ us alone to have a drink or two.
Old Jan 9, 2015, 10:04 am

Programs: EK, BA, EY, SQ, IHG, HH, SPG

Well unless Qatar goes back to what it was not so long ago, dry, then it will be the law as it is in Saudi and Kuwait and would need to be respected not sneered at as some seem to do when any suggestion of banning alcohol is mentioned.
Old Jan 9, 2015, 12:28 pm

Programs: QR Platinum, WY Gold, Shangri-la Diamond, Hilton Diamond

Nope!

Plenty of choice flying from LHR (and I quite like a glass of wine with my meal).
Old Jan 9, 2015, 12:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by mecabq
I could see them replacing Al-Baker with one of the usual suspects and banning alcohol soon.
Almost every time I spoke to Qatari nationals between 2007 and 2012 I was assured that Al-Baker would be replaced "soon"!
Old Jan 9, 2015, 7:55 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: QR Privilege Club Gold; Accor LeClub Platinum
Originally Posted by Sixth Freedom
Almost every time I spoke to Qatari nationals between 2007 and 2012 I was assured that Al-Baker would be replaced "soon"!
As "soon" as the new airport opened, the lounges opened, etc. but that would at least mean it IS going to happen at some point.. who knows

As for the dry vs. no dry: I wouldn't care at all when flying economy - I would though when flying business. It's an indulgence for me which I like to celebrate with a glass of champagne and maybe a nice drink during or after the meal. If it isn't offered, I'd chose another airline, simple as that.

With that said, if QR really wants to become a hub for the world, they probably wouldn't help themselves if they banned it...
Old Jan 10, 2015, 12:26 am

Programs: UA MM/1P, EK Au, QR, TK, Marriott Life Ti, Hilton Dia, IC Dia, Hyatt Glob, Accor Pt, Shangri-La
Originally Posted by Sixth Freedom
+1

Just like changes to the kafala system will come "soon."
Old Jan 10, 2015, 6:06 am

Programs: QR Plat, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, HH Diamond, IHG Gold
I would definitely continue flying QR if its was dry. I had bad experiences with people getting tipsy and drunk while traveling. So dry during air travel is a good thing IMO.
Old Jan 11, 2015, 2:21 am

Programs: Singapore, Cathay, QANTAS, Delta, Velocity, Etihad
Originally Posted by Havoc10G
So no pork on the flight is ok for you then?!
As long as they don't try to serve me beef bacon....which is an abomination!
Old Jan 11, 2015, 2:23 am

Programs: Singapore, Cathay, QANTAS, Delta, Velocity, Etihad
Originally Posted by Babu
Bravo.

You're against drinking? Then don't drink. The overwhelming majority of passengers who consume alcohol are perfectly well mannered. Leave them/ us alone to have a drink or two.
I think you misunderstood my post. I am not anti-drink, I'm anti-religion
Old Jan 11, 2015, 5:02 am

Programs: Azerbaijan Airlines Gold, Turkish Miles and Smiles, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by RBH58
No I would not. Not that I drink a lot, I just have no time for other people's religious dogma being imposed on me
+1 ^
Old Jan 12, 2015, 12:31 pm
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
Based on this article: http://shawnvoyage.com/airlines-that...serve-alcohol/ Gulf Air stopped serving booze last year...
Old Jan 12, 2015, 12:57 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by TPJ
Based on this article: http://shawnvoyage.com/airlines-that...serve-alcohol/ Gulf Air stopped serving booze last year...
The final comment on that blog post disagrees.

The key point which has been mentioned already is that none of the "dry" airlines are aimed at connecting passengers, they operate as flag carriers for their own countries. If QR is to remain a commercial operation then it will need to continue to serving alcohol. Personally I can skip drinking in the air (normally stick to water) as long as I can have a couple in the lounge beforehand.
Old Jan 12, 2015, 5:13 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: QR Privilege Club Gold; Accor LeClub Platinum
Originally Posted by Steve_ZA
The final comment on that blog post disagrees.

The key point which has been mentioned already is that none of the "dry" airlines are aimed at connecting passengers, they operate as flag carriers for their own countries. If QR is to remain a commercial operation then it will need to continue to serving alcohol. Personally I can skip drinking in the air (normally stick to water) as long as I can have a couple in the lounge beforehand.
I guess that would be the key question... could an increase in gulf passengers (or rather: people who are somehow morally compelled to get out of the way of alcohol) due to dryness beat the loss of passengers from other parts of the world who use QR to transit? But then again there's the age old question of how profitable QR actually wants and has to be

Last edited by zehbra; Jan 12, 2015 at 5:20 pm
Old Jan 12, 2015, 8:09 pm

Wouldnt bother me as I never drink on flights anyway. I would expect reduced fares though, as they don't have to buy all that alcohol anymore.
Old Jan 13, 2015, 1:08 pm

Nope. I like to drink what I want, when I want.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.