Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qatar Airways | Privilege Club
Reload this Page >

Will you continue flying QR if it was dry?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2015, 3:41 am

Programs: OneWorld Emerald/GHA Discovery Black
Originally Posted by aceboy44
None of the mentioned airlines above are as good as QR, EK, and EY, and Kuwait Airways fleet is aging, so in this case what's the win-win solution here?
There is no win-win solution for those that want a "good", yet dry, airline. That's exactly my point. Those passengers so intolerant of alcohol being served on board should surely be happy with the less "progressive" carriers. If not, why not?
Old Jan 5, 2015, 3:47 am

Programs: EK, BA, EY, SQ, IHG, HH, SPG

Well just because a segment of passengers prefer a dry airline doesn't mean they wouldn't want to travel in comfort! It is a possibility in my view. Alcohol was banned on the pearl after similar pressure. I think they would attract a segment of GCC society that wants dry luxury if that isn't an oxymoron!
Old Jan 5, 2015, 4:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by chongcao
if Qatar is to charge alcohol drinks in Y class in non-meal times
That will never happen either. QR prides itself on being a "fully bundled" airline.

(Despite the fact that you don't expect free booze in a five-star hotel... )
Old Jan 5, 2015, 4:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by Havoc10G
Well just because a segment of passengers prefer a dry airline...
That's perhaps slightly misrepresenting the situation.

Stated in the first post is that there is societal pressure within the Qatari population. It is not necessarily the case that Qatari passengers are beseeching the airline to go dry - it is more that, when news breaks of such alcohol-related incidents on board the national airline, the media reports the news and then debate starts up again, with many in the country (and Qatar is the national airline, so Qataris naturally feel free to air their opinions on the airline, whether or not they are, ever have been, or will soon be, a passenger on any particular service) voicing the *obvious* solution to the "problem" - the banning of alcohol in the air, just as it is on the ground (except in hotels, and in 2 shops for those with the relevant license).

As others have said above, it is extremely unlikely that QR would go dry, but nevertheless, Qataris are free to hold what, to most, would seem a sensible, logical, and socially desirable opinion. That they can point to other national carriers in the region who apparently "thrive" without serving alcohol, and that they themselves never drink alcohol (and probably actually would prefer the idea of their airline not serving it), would make this seem like a perfectly logical solution for most Qataris.

The debate will die down again, only to flare up again when the next alcohol-blamed incident is reported. but QR is no more likely to change its policy just because it's part of the national conversation for a few days, just like, for example, any of the US carriers is unlikely to abolish baggage fees, or offer decent compensation, when some luggage charge/luggage loss related story makes the news and becomes part of the national conversation for a day or two.

Originally Posted by Sixth Freedom
(Despite the fact that you don't expect free booze in a five-star hotel... )
Oh, but you do, if you have access to the Club Lounge!!!!
Old Jan 5, 2015, 5:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This debate does re-materialise once in a while.

It was said a few years back that Qatari nationals are charged higher fares and this money is used to subsidise alcohol for non-Qatari nationals, who pay cheaper fares...
Old Jan 5, 2015, 5:53 am

Programs: QR Plat
I would discontinue to use QR. Not because I couldn't get a glass of swill while flying, but for the same reason I think that dry airlines are not my thing, and the same reason I think the recent noise about TLV-bound flights with orthodox/extreme jews are causing news. It's fine to have a religion, it's not fine to force your relgion unto others.

And likewise, those who can't control their drinking I also take a dim view of; they cause trouble for many around them.

-A
Old Jan 5, 2015, 6:08 am
Original Poster

Really interesting discussion, thanks for all who responded to the question.

While maybe 5 years ago I would have thought it would impossible that QR would go dry, living in Qatar and looking at recent developments and the general atmosphere here I think now the possibility exists even if the chances of that happening are very low.
Old Jan 5, 2015, 6:46 am

Programs: OWS, *A G
I have 1 drink a month on average so it wouldn't affect me. I never quite understood, however, why people prefer to worsen the physiological effects of flying with alcohol

But then it's a personal choice and I'm happy for everyone to do whatever they want to (except for putting their bare feet on the bulkhead)
Old Jan 5, 2015, 8:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by N1Rotate
While maybe 5 years ago I would have thought it would impossible that QR would go dry, living in Qatar and looking at recent developments and the general atmosphere here I think now the possibility exists even if the chances of that happening are very low.
It will only happen if the Saudi's take over. Next time you see a story in the newspaper about big salary increases for Qatari nationals QR's status as an alcohol-serving airline has been extended for a couple of years!
Old Jan 5, 2015, 9:31 am

If QR would be dry I would fly with them way more.

I don't understand the fuss that so many people have with alcohol.
Many -without realizing or admitting to themselves- are patients already. Time will tell how dip will sink.

No alcohol fine. Great!
I'm not against freedom of choice but negative effects of alcohol abuse are so big, destructive and still underestimated. It's destructive not only for the drinker but for all his/her family and the society in general.
Starting from the flying scenes of X (X = Northern Europeans etc. etc. you add) flying to the South of Europe or to South East Asia or viceversa to the ILL alcoholic environment present in many places of Uk, Eastern Europe e.g. Belarus (from personal experience). No alcohol on airplanes (and not only) so cool.
I don't fell comfortable seating near an intoxicated and/or smelly pax. I don't fell that safe sharing the aircraft with intoxicated people too.

I know what I'm talking about because my relatives have vineyards in Italy. And we know what wine especially red wine is healthy too ... but I can happily stay without it for the duration of the flight and more.

Smoking and alcohol drinking just on designated placed (and banned in the air) ... my dream ...

Last edited by Topolino; Jan 5, 2015 at 9:58 am
Old Jan 8, 2015, 7:27 am

Programs: DL Diamond, AA EXP & UA Gold
hell no.
Old Jan 9, 2015, 3:45 am

Programs: Singapore, Cathay, QANTAS, Delta, Velocity, Etihad
No I would not. Not that I drink a lot, I just have no time for other people's religious dogma being imposed on me
Old Jan 9, 2015, 5:04 am

Programs: EK, BA, EY, SQ, IHG, HH, SPG

So no pork on the flight is ok for you then?!
Old Jan 9, 2015, 5:14 am

Programs: UA MM/1P, EK Au, QR, TK, Marriott Life Ti, Hilton Dia, IC Dia, Hyatt Glob, Accor Pt, Shangri-La
QR was dry when it first started operation. I am not sure how many years it lasted, but they felt that they had to approach it incrementally.

I find it hard to say that a lack of alcohol would be a deal-breaker for me; though I would be more likely to boycott on principle than because I couldn't stand a flight without a drink.

Originally Posted by Work-Shy
Personally, I don't see a ban on alcohol happening. Can you imagine the likes of EY + EK going down that route? Exactly!
Qatar is a less tolerant culture than the UAE. And, unlike Dubai, they don't need the money from tourism, etc., so can afford to be more principled. In fact, they may pitch it as a competitive advantage compared to EY/EK for some audiences (not that I am endorsing the business wisdom of such an approach).

Unlike some other posters here, I would not be shocked to see them go dry. Every indication in the country is going in a more conservative direction. (They keep tightening rules for alcohol and well as shisha.)

The government reportedly bought out the private owners in the past 18 months, and recently announced that privatization is no longer in the cards for the foreseeable future. Of course it is easier to ban alcohol given that the airline is 100% government-owned (see also, The Pearl). I could see them replacing Al-Baker with one of the usual suspects and banning alcohol soon.

Interestingly, it's a trend in the region. Even though Bahrain and Oman are both more diverse, open, and tourism-dependent societies than Qatar in many ways, the are both in the process of possibly restricting alcohol. Seems like it would be disastrous for business in these countries.
Old Jan 9, 2015, 6:01 am

Programs: SPG Platinum . Hyatt Diamond . Delta Diamond . All kinds of car rental statuses
not a chance I measure my in-flight experience by my blood alcohol level

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.