Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qatar Airways | Privilege Club
Reload this Page >

Baggage Question - Confused between AA and Qatar

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Baggage Question - Confused between AA and Qatar

Search this Thread

Old Oct 12, 2014, 5:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA, BA, Alaska Air
Question Baggage Question - Confused between AA and Qatar

Am traveling shortly via AA > QA (supposedly Qatar ticket) . However the first domestic leg of my journey is on AA. I see one PNR for the ticket which is like:

RESERVATION CODE - ABCDEF

AIRLINE RESERVATION CODE ABCDEF (AA), VWXYZ(QR)

I wanted to check if the flight can be upgraded via AA miles, was informed it was a Qatar ticket so cannot do it. I wanted to confirm with the agent where do I buy extra baggage allowance if needed?

Surprisingly, was told I have to pay extra baggage allowance to AA. Is this correct or should I call Qatar and purchase the extra baggage allowance from them?

Edit: I have the AA elite Status thru the Citi World Elite MC.

Last edited by genesys9; Oct 12, 2014 at 6:08 pm Reason: addendum
Old Oct 13, 2014, 12:21 am

If I understand your situation correctly, you will check your luggage with AA before the first leg, not QR, and pay any baggage fees at that time. It will then be transferred to QR automatically and no further fees are due until the return trip (if any).

You cannot upgrade a QR flight with AA miles.

There is no citi credit card that gives you 'elite status'. You may get an extra checked bag and/or early boarding on AA only. This is not referred to here as elite status.
Old Oct 13, 2014, 9:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA, BA, Alaska Air
Ok, thank you. I will call American and pay the fees before hand to avoid delays at the airport.

Originally Posted by SeeBuyFly
If I understand your situation correctly, you will check your luggage with AA before the first leg, not QR, and pay any baggage fees at that time. It will then be transferred to QR automatically and no further fees are due until the return trip (if any).

You cannot upgrade a QR flight with AA miles.

There is no citi credit card that gives you 'elite status'. You may get an extra checked bag and/or early boarding on AA only. This is not referred to here as elite status.
Old Oct 13, 2014, 12:10 pm

Originally Posted by genesys9
Ok, thank you. I will call American and pay the fees before hand to avoid delays at the airport.
Why should the fee (if any) cause delays at the airport? Pay baggage fees only if required and only when required (you cannot pay in advance for this trip anyway).

Even though you are checking in with AA, the QR baggage allowance applies here, not the less generous domestic AA allowance.
Old Oct 13, 2014, 9:14 pm

Originally Posted by SeeBuyFly
Why should the fee (if any) cause delays at the airport? Pay baggage fees only if required and only when required (you cannot pay in advance for this trip anyway).

Even though you are checking in with AA, the QR baggage allowance applies here, not the less generous domestic AA allowance.
To clarify further AA does not allow you to pay baggage fees online. It has to be done at check in.
Moreover, Qatar tickets clearly indicate your baggage allowance on all segments.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.