FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Qatar Airways | Privilege Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qatar-airways-privilege-club-644/)
-   -   787 in Y (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qatar-airways-privilege-club/1614253-787-y.html)

wandering_persian Sep 20, 2014 2:08 am

787 in Y

I am flying in Y to SIN next month as my upgrade request hit the wall for both ways. So, I am stuck in the back.:td:

Are the seats really tiny? I read a report saying that they were quite uncomfortable. Is that true?

Unrelated second question: Has anyone successfully upgraded a YUL-DOH segment using Qmiles? It seems that it is a very tough one to score both as award seat and upgrades.

Sixth Freedom Sep 20, 2014 2:56 am

The seats on 787 are 16.9" wide and the seats on 777 are 18.4" wide. That is a difference of 1.5", or in other words that the 787's seats are 91.8% of the width of the 777's.

wandering_persian Sep 20, 2014 4:58 am

Originally Posted by Sixth Freedom (Post 23554313)
The seats on 787 are 16.9" wide and the seats on 777 are 18.4" wide. That is a difference of 1.5", or in other words that the 787's seats are 91.8% of the width of the 777's.

I really like the scientific accuracy of the response!

so basically, I'll have 8.2% less room for my bum!:td:

purple1addict Sep 20, 2014 5:02 am

It's the worst layout of any QR aircraft in Economy (to my knowledge). Not too bad if you have an empty seat next to you, but a full cabin makes for some very uncomfortable shoulder bumping with your seat neighbour. Not good leg room either with only 31" pitch. Sorry to hear you're stuck with it for your upcoming trip... Keep checking for award upgrades!

wandering_persian Sep 20, 2014 5:12 am

Originally Posted by purple1addict (Post 23554557)
It's the worst layout of any QR aircraft in Economy (to my knowledge). Not too bad if you have an empty seat next to you, but a full cabin makes for some very uncomfortable shoulder bumping with your seat neighbour. Not good leg room either with only 31" pitch. Sorry to hear you're stuck with it for your upcoming trip... Keep checking for award upgrades!

:(:(:(:(

How dreadful!

Sixth Freedom Sep 20, 2014 6:21 am

I would only fly in one of these seats if it was an emergency or I had a guarantee of an empty seat next to me.

wandering_persian Sep 20, 2014 6:44 am

Originally Posted by Sixth Freedom (Post 23554731)
I would only fly in one of these seats if it was an emergency or I had a guarantee of an empty seat next to me.

I guess I'll have to suck it up and suffer…in silence. The way out is a day flight, so it should be bearable. The return flight is at 21:05 and I expect it to be a rough one.

QatarA340 Sep 20, 2014 6:54 am

Originally Posted by wandering_persian (Post 23554779)

I guess I'll have to suck it up and suffer…in silence. The way out is a day flight, so it should be bearable. The return flight is at 21:05 and I expect it to be a rough one.

The pitch might be a bit a low on the inches, but the seat is designed to have a sort of hollow-esque space at the knees--so you have "good" legroom. I would choose the aisle seat in the middle. ^

kataka Sep 20, 2014 7:14 am

I find the 787 Y seats quite comfortable.

Sixth Freedom Sep 20, 2014 7:26 am

Originally Posted by wandering_persian (Post 23554779)

I have taken the nine o'clock flight from Singapore to Doha. I was only in Singapore for one night and so had no jet lag. The flight gets back into Doha at about midnight so if you are still on or near to Doha time you might be able to get away with pretending that it is a day flight.

sturejan Sep 20, 2014 11:48 am

The 787 in Y is terrible!!
Love J though! Really one of the best!

FromTheRail Sep 23, 2014 8:41 pm

I have just had the pleasure of a trip back to the UK from PER to attend a wedding and see family and friends.

On the DOH-EDI I was on the 787 in Y, its a total disaster for me, I'm 6ft4" and luckily not that wide. I sat in the seat and my knees were only about 1-2cm from the hinges of the arms of the seat in front. The seats are also not that wide and make you feel more cramped, we both noticed a huge difference from the 777 from PER-DOH.

Even though the routing is great I will be avoiding it in the future if I'm going to be in Y, I would much rather route through LHR or somewhere else in Europe before doing that flight again!

sturejan Sep 24, 2014 10:30 am

Well, most people agree with you. - The 787 in Y is awful.
Some don't! I guess they are very short and thin!

SinkOrSwim Sep 24, 2014 11:04 am

Are the seats the same on the new A380s?

Sixth Freedom Sep 24, 2014 11:17 am

Originally Posted by SinkOrSwim (Post 23575005)
Are the seats the same on the new A380s?

No - they are wider on the 380s. I think that they are the same width as seats on the 777.