FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Qatar Airways | Privilege Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qatar-airways-privilege-club-644/)
-   -   Lawsuit re: salary information (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qatar-airways-privilege-club/1608882-lawsuit-re-salary-information.html)

sbrower Sep 5, 2014 9:21 am

Lawsuit re: salary information

Qatar just filed a lawsuit against "John Does" for posting salary information on Pprune. Does anyone have any information about why they are so sensitive about salary information? An odd fact is that they filed in California, where it is against the law to prohibit employees from discussing their salaries.

GUWonder Sep 5, 2014 9:30 am

Originally Posted by sbrower (Post 23479288)
Qatar just filed a lawsuit against "John Does" for posting salary information on Pprune. Does anyone have any information about why they are so sensitive about salary information?

Because they do what US-backed organizations have a history of doing: discriminate based on citizenship when assigning salary/compensation packages.

Also, because this information increases pressure from employees and recruits on their employers/potential employers when it comes to compensation package arrangements.

A Swedish QR FA with just a high school degree makes much more money than an Indian QR FA with a master's degree. The discrepancy is already known to exist but the extent of it may have not been as widely known common knowledge.

I can see why QR is sensitive about it, but I hope QR loses this battle.

Hasn't FT been asked by airline lawyers to remove stuff from FT? Yes. Did they demand and get user info as a result of that? Not sure, but at least in part QR seems to be following a path already at least partially taken by US airlines to remove and keep off information of the sort that the company considers to be proprietary info swiped without authorization.

Phil the Flyer Sep 5, 2014 10:19 am

Originally Posted by sbrower (Post 23479288)

where it is against the law to prohibit employees from discussing their salaries.

Not that I have any way of knowing, but it wouldn't surprise me if QR employee(s) are in breach of the conditions of their own Contract(s) of Employment.

Sixth Freedom Sep 5, 2014 2:22 pm

Decided to remove

sbrower Sep 5, 2014 2:26 pm

Originally Posted by Phil the Flyer (Post 23479596)
Not that I have any way of knowing, but it wouldn't surprise me if QR employee(s) are in breach of the conditions of their own Contract(s) of Employment.

Yes, and that might be legal under Qatar law. But California employees have the right to discuss salary information even if it would be a violation of their employment contract. I realize that these are not California employees, but odd that their lawyers would bring the suit in a jurisdiction where the contract would be against the law.

Sixth Freedom Sep 5, 2014 2:27 pm

Originally Posted by Phil the Flyer (Post 23479596)

QR staff do not have Contracts of employment unless they are very senior.

sbrower Sep 5, 2014 2:28 pm

Originally Posted by Sixth Freedom (Post 23480959)
I seem to remember

Wow. You have a very good memory for exact numbers.

Sixth Freedom Sep 5, 2014 2:29 pm

Decided to remove

Sixth Freedom Sep 5, 2014 2:39 pm

Decided to remove

Phil the Flyer Sep 5, 2014 11:59 pm

Originally Posted by Sixth Freedom (Post 23481039)

Decided to remove

6F - three identically-worded posts in one thread. Now I understand how you've passed the 10,000 post milestone! ;)

Sixth Freedom Sep 6, 2014 1:20 am

Decided to remove

KIR@GCM Sep 8, 2014 9:20 pm

Originally Posted by sbrower (Post 23480979)
Yes, and that might be legal under Qatar law. But California employees have the right to discuss salary information even if it would be a violation of their employment contract. I realize that these are not California employees, but odd that their lawyers would bring the suit in a jurisdiction where the contract would be against the law.

Just a theory but QR may have chosen to sue in California because the PPRuNe website is owned by Internet Brands of El Segundo, CA (Los Angeles County).

mecabq Sep 9, 2014 1:51 am

Originally Posted by Sixth Freedom (Post 23482950)
QR does some atrocious things with their salary scales and whilst it might be nice to help employees present and future I must, regrettably, be mindful that my Clients should have confidence in my discretion.

Is it atrocious? Any employee wants to earn the highest possible salary that he can, and any business wants to pay each employee the lowest possible salary (subject, of course, to getting the right skills) that he/she will accept. If both sides agree, then both should be satisfied.

For Emirates and other companies in the GCC, to use this example, it's not as simple as just discriminating based on nationality. They have to take the various labor markets in which they operate into account. If they need Swedish speakers, it will cost them more than Filipino/English speakers, since most Swedish speakers won't take the job at the same price as people from other countries, so they end up paying Swedes more. I don't see anything unfair about this.

My company employs people from Myanmar, and on average they make less than employees from Lebanon. People from Myanmar were often making $50 a month back home, so they are happy to have the salaries that we are paying. We don't have a salary scale by nationality, but rather by job grade; most Lebanese end up on the higher end of the scale and Myanmar natives on the lower end. (We can't, and wouldn't want to, have a 100% Myanmar scale, because we want a diverse workforce and need some Arabic speakers anyway.)

Havoc10G Sep 9, 2014 4:14 pm

Lawsuit re: salary information

The comparison should never be "what people earn back home" but what is the nature of the role and are two people doing the same job for different pay.

QatarA340 Sep 9, 2014 11:05 pm

I dont know how anyone benifits from Pprune--they're all a bunch of complainers who literally nothing satisfied them. Everything is bad, chaotic, and worthy of complaint. Look at their language; where they mock everything and speak in their own "lingo"

Maybe one post out of a 100 post has a letter of benifit.