Doha transit and hotel advise

Old Aug 25, 2014, 1:51 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold +++
Doha transit and hotel advise

Hi everyone,
Flying Qatar for the first time this X-mas, roundtrip OSL - DOH - BKK in biz. On the return we have chosen a 22 hour stop in Doha, on purpose, to break up the journey and check out Doha. We have a 4 year old boy, so I would ask you for some advise here:
1) Apparently we have to apply for visitor visa. Qatars website says the following for visa: Hotel accommodation must be booked through Discover Qatar for the total period of stay in Qatar. I.have tried, but the search engine here says no rooms available. Can I book directly at other hotel websites without being rejected entry?
2) Hotel advise (location)? What is the transfer time from the airport to downtown hotels?
3) What to see / not so see? Attractions, shopping, whatever.

Thanks for any help you can give us.

E
Old Aug 25, 2014, 5:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by Heliboy
Hi everyone,
Flying Qatar for the first time this X-mas, roundtrip OSL - DOH - BKK in biz. On the return we have chosen a 22 hour stop in Doha, on purpose, to break up the journey and check out Doha. We have a 4 year old boy, so I would ask you for some advise here:
1) Apparently we have to apply for visitor visa. Qatars website says the following for visa: Hotel accommodation must be booked through Discover Qatar for the total period of stay in Qatar. I.have tried, but the search engine here says no rooms available. Can I book directly at other hotel websites without being rejected entry?
2) Hotel advise (location)? What is the transfer time from the airport to downtown hotels?
3) What to see / not so see? Attractions, shopping, whatever.

Thanks for any help you can give us.

E

There are quite a lot of threads on this (including on the forum's first page) where you will find a lot of useful information.

Basically, to benefit from free transit hotels, you would need for the shortest possible transit on your itinerary to be over 8 hours, so if your layover is 22 hours by choice while an under 8 hour transit exists in the schedule, you will not be eligible to free transit.

If you are happy to pay for it, you can either book a paid stayover through QR or make your own arrangements. In the former case, I believe that the cost is $150 and I don't believe that this can be done over the internet (I may be wrong) so the way to go is to contact QR by phone or at a ticket office (or airport).
Old Aug 25, 2014, 11:59 am

Programs: QF LTS WP, Avis Pres Club, HH Diam.
If you are eligible for Visa on Arrival, they cost $27 USD - 100 QAR by credit card only on arrival.

You can make your own hotel arrangements through whichever website you prefer.
Old Aug 25, 2014, 5:45 pm

Programs: QR Gold, EK, Accor, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold VIP, Delta
Originally Posted by VH-RMD
100 QAR by credit card only on arrival.
If I am not mistaken, they will accept 100QAR cash as well, but no cash from any other countries.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.