Whats the point of "lounge passes"?

Old Jul 30, 2014, 2:55 am
Original Poster

Programs: HHon Diamond, IHG Plat, SPG Gold, TG Gold, QR Plat, OZ Gold, AF Silver, Hertz #1 Gold, Priority Pass
Whats the point of "lounge passes"?

I was just wondering, as a Platinum member, I believe I am allowed to guest a guest into the lounge whenever I fly, so when one of my friend is flying on QR next week, without my presence, I thought I could gift one of the 5 lounge passes that is given as part of earning Platinum. However, on closer inspection, it would seem that these lounge passes can only be used in the member's presence.

What's the point of it then? Or does it mean that I can only guest 5 guests in total per year? Which is then against OW rules....?

Confused.

Any way to "guest" my friend into the lounge without me?

Thanks.
Old Jul 30, 2014, 6:01 am

It's for extra person other than the 2 pax allowance. Could be helpful if you are traveling with your family and thus needs to admit more than the allowance, using the pass given.
Old Aug 1, 2014, 12:19 am

Programs: QR Platinum, TK Elite
Those passes are useless. We always fly J, and the old Premium terminal only had access for J/F passengers, so you could not guest there.

With the new lounge scenario, it looks like the same. Unless you guest someone into the Elite lounge, and then leave yourself and head off to the QR Signature J/F lounge.

I even asked QR in Kenya if I can give the passes to a colleague for them to use when I am not travelling with them, and the firm answer (after 6 weeks) was NO!
Old Aug 1, 2014, 12:50 am

Programs: QR Gold, BAEC, Marriott Rewards Gold, SPG Gold
Looking at it from another angle; are there any airlines that allow their FF's to dish out lounge passes to anyone they feel like without actually being there to supervise them?

Surely if you guest someone you have to be present at the same time? Otherwise what's to stop anyone from just going around the airport giving out free lounge passes, where would that lead?

Or am I being naive? (Starts digging trench & looks for tin helmet).
Old Aug 1, 2014, 2:35 am

I was wondering that as well. Now that question is answered. One question remains: how do you get those guest lounge passes? At the airport?

On the Silver Member website I only read:
Complimentary 'one visit' Guest lounge passes at Hamad International Airport
Receive two guest passes per year to invite additional guests to join you at the lounge in Doha.
Old Aug 1, 2014, 2:59 am

Programs: QR Gold, BAEC, Marriott Rewards Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by romana2
I was wondering that as well. Now that question is answered. One question remains: how do you get those guest lounge passes? At the airport?

On the Silver Member website I only read:
Complimentary 'one visit' Guest lounge passes at Hamad International Airport
Receive two guest passes per year to invite additional guests to join you at the lounge in Doha.
The staff at the lounge entrance look up your details on their computer & deduct the pass from your allowance electronically.
Old Aug 1, 2014, 9:21 am

Thanks a lot! Could not find out last time, but then the lounge wasn't open yet.
Old Aug 10, 2014, 1:53 am

Programs: OWS, QR Gold, Kris, and a few others
Originally Posted by roadwarriorafrica
Those passes are useless. We always fly J, and the old Premium terminal only had access for J/F passengers, so you could not guest there.

With the new lounge scenario, it looks like the same. Unless you guest someone into the Elite lounge, and then leave yourself and head off to the QR Signature J/F lounge.

I even asked QR in Kenya if I can give the passes to a colleague for them to use when I am not travelling with them, and the firm answer (after 6 weeks) was NO!
6 weeks to be told to get lost. What is it with customer service at QR, seriously?
Old Aug 10, 2014, 1:00 pm
G_G
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK E+
Originally Posted by impeymac
Looking at it from another angle; are there any airlines that allow their FF's to dish out lounge passes to anyone they feel like without actually being there to supervise them?
Yes there is at least one: Air Canada
Old Oct 6, 2015, 1:07 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Sorry to bump this thread! I'm a BA Silver (OW Sapphire) card holder.
Will I also receive 4 guest passes (http://www.qatarairways.com/Privileg...20Members.page) or is it just for members of the QR program? Thank you!
Old Oct 6, 2015, 3:30 pm

Thundie Why would Privilege Club issue free guest passes to a rival FFP (BAEC)? They are one of the member privileges of PC not of OW.

As OWS you may use the Business Class lounge with one guest. This is not Al Mourjan lounge which is for premium class passengers only.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.