Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 9, 2015, 8:51 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Schwann
PLEASE NOTE: The below information is largely out of date as of 2023 and needs to be updated:

Hamad International Airport (HIA) offers passengers a number of different lounges. The Departure Lounges at HIA include :

Qatar Airways Al Safwa Lounge - QR and OW First Class Passengers only
Qatar Airways Al Mourjan Lounge - QR and OW First and Business Class Passengers only
HIA First Class Lounge
HIA Business Class Lounge
Oryx Lounge
Al Maha lounge

Additionally, there is an arrivals lounge for those exiting the airport (either very long connection or if Doha is their final destination)

For information on which lounge to use, when travelling with QR, at other airports, please see here.

Which Departure Lounge can I use?

Qatar Airways Al Safwa Lounge - The Lounge access is only for Qatar Airways and Oneworld First Class passengers and is located on Level 3 of the airport. Arriving on a longhaul Qatar First class qualifies for lounge access even if connecting flight is not in F. Reports on the Lounge, can be found here(external link) and here. Photographs of the lounge, can be found here (external). Wiki for Al Safwa is here.
The absolute minimum requirement for access is a boarding card for a flight departing in F or a boarding card for an incoming longhaul F flight. Op-ups and guests are not admitted.

Qatar Airways Al Mourjan Lounge - The Lounge access is only for Qatar Airways and Oneworld First and Business Class passengers and is located on Level 3 of the airport. Information and photographs can be found here - here. A thread has recently been started specific to Al Mourjan - http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qatar...ss-lounge.html. Existing posts in this thread about Al Mourjan will be moved there as time permits.
The absolute minimum requirement for access is a boarding card for a flight departing in J or a boarding card for an incoming longhaul J flight.

HIA First Class Lounge - The First Class Lounge is located on Concourse A, Level 2 at the airport and offers facilities which include complimentary high-speed Wi-Fi, shower facilities, conference rooms, smoking rooms, family rooms, a business centre and a nursery. First or Business class ticketed passengers as well as QR Privilege Club Platinum and Oneworld alliance Emerald members may access this facility.
The absolute minimum requirement for access is a boarding card showing OWE status for your departing flight.

HIA Business Class Lounge - This lounge, that caters for First or Business class ticketed passengers as well as QR Privilege Club, Platinum Gold and Silver members and oneworld alliance Emerald and Sapphire members, is located on Concourse A, Level 2 at the airport, and offers facilities which include complimentary high-speed Wi-Fi, shower facilities, conference rooms, smoking rooms, family rooms, a business centre and a nursery.
The absolute minimum requirement for access is a boarding card showing OWS status for your departing flight.

Oryx Lounge - May be used only by eligible customers when travelling on: British Airways, Cathay Pacific, Royal Jordanian, SriLankan Airlines. Economy passengers will be able to gain access to the lounge for a fee of QAR 200 (USD 55).

Al Maha Lounge - Available to priority pass members. Located opposite the entrance to the Oryx Lounge.

Arrivals Lounge - There are essentially 2 - the first one is prior to immigration and has some snacks, drinks, and a seating area, as well as a dedicated immigration booth. The second (and main) one is just outside customs to the left, near the W.H. Smith store. This one has snacks, drinks, a menu to order from, showers, etc. Both arrivals lounges are for QR J passengers only, oneworld status alone will not get you into the lounge.

Opening Times
QR lounges are open 24 hours/day and serve no alcoholic beverages during Ramadan (27 May-25 June 2017 and 16 May-14 June 2018).

Luggage facilites
There are luggage boxes for hand luggage in Al Safwa, Al Mourjan, First Class and Business Class lounges.

Transit Options
Alternatives for long transits:
Print Wikipost

QR Lounges at HIA

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20, 2017, 11:31 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, A3 Gold
Originally Posted by stargold
There's no need to even bother looking at the "First Class" lounge - go straight to Al Mourjan.
Total agreement on that. You won't have access to the QR metal only 1st class Al Safwa lounge, so scurry over to Al Mourjan - if they are still allowing access to OW pax in J.
Old Feb 21, 2017, 1:19 am

Originally Posted by tmac100
Total agreement on that. You won't have access to the QR metal only 1st class Al Safwa lounge, so scurry over to Al Mourjan - if they are still allowing access to OW pax in J.
tmac100 unless the rules have changed within the last month or so then OW F passengers are admitted to Al Safwa. This has been so for nearly a year (10 months?). It is only of use to BA passengers since they appear to be the only airline, other than QR, who have F flights to/from DOH.
Old Feb 21, 2017, 8:38 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, A3 Gold
Originally Posted by remdk
tmac100 unless the rules have changed within the last month or so then OW F passengers are admitted to Al Safwa. This has been so for nearly a year (10 months?). It is only of use to BA passengers since they appear to be the only airline, other than QR, who have F flights to/from DOH.
When I was in the lounge, recently, there were only QR pax, thus...

Thanks for the update.
Old Mar 12, 2017, 3:12 am

Any updates on the expansion of the lounges?
Old Mar 12, 2017, 9:22 am

tboons the current lounges can not be expanded. The Business class and First class lounge may have some room for change but the total area of the two lounges combined cannot change. It would just be moving some walls around.

But there is that nirvana the 'North Node'! It is here that lounge capacity can be increased with four new lounges. There is supposed to be a second Al Safwa, a second Al Mourjan, and new Business and First class lounges. Supposedly these four new lounges will have a greater combined area than the existing four.

When is this going to happen? Well the usual 'Nobody knows' applies here.

In November 2015 statements such as 'any day now','Everything is ready' or 'Just take the covers off' were made. Sixteen months later we are still waiting!

So it looks as though the new lounges may be taking even longer to open than the seventeen months Al Safwa took!
Old Mar 12, 2017, 11:46 am

In November 2015 statements such as 'any day now','Everything is ready' or 'Just take the covers off' were made. Sixteen months later we are still waiting!
Which perfectly matches the Qatari definition of "soon"...
Old Mar 12, 2017, 2:27 pm

Programs: QR Platinum, WY Gold, Shangri-la Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Fabulous

Does anyone know if there is still the aspiration that QR Plat members will have improved facilities (ie better than the current Silver/Business and Gold/First oneworld lounges)?
Old Mar 12, 2017, 3:17 pm

purple1addict from what I have heard a garden shed would be an improvement!

There has been some talk about improving access for PC Gold and Platinums and OWE and OWSs but nothing concrete.
Old Mar 12, 2017, 6:03 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Diamond, BA Silver, IHG Spire, AMEX Plat
Hoping these new lounges are a step up from status passengers currently have access to

The OW Business/first lounges are in some of the worst positions I have ever seen, glass ceilings right under those huge flashing video advert boards. Whoever, came up with that needs to moved on quickly.
Old Mar 12, 2017, 6:50 pm

Just to avoid confusion, there are two sets of lounges for the North Node. There are the ones that are opening "soon" that are in the existing constructed space in the North Node above the duty free. These are not as large as Al-Mourjan or Al-Safwa, note that Al-Mourjan and Al-Safwa are each 10,000m2 about twice the size of the huge CIP lounge in IST they are just not space efficient.

The doubling of lounge space is planned for the extension to the North Node and that is 4 years away. Renderings below:

Old Mar 27, 2017, 9:07 pm

https://www.businesstraveller.com/business-travel/2017/03/17/no-prospect-al-safwa-lounge-opening-emerald-oneworld-travellers/
Old Apr 4, 2017, 4:55 am

Programs: FlyingBlue (Platinum); AA (Executive Plat); BAEC (Silver), SPG (Platinum); Hilton (Diamond)
Sorry to be asking what appears to be the same question asked and answered, but things still aren't clear to me (which, perhaps, is what Qatar wants). I'm a OW Emerald traveling on Qatar in Y with a couple of decent length layovers in DOH. I know Al Safwa is a no-go. What about Al Mourjan? From the above linked article:

The situation for those travelling on Qatar Airways in business class, or those who are top tier Emerald in Oneworld, is that unless they are flying one segment in first class with Qatar Airways, either on a short-haul leg or a long-haul, then they will not be granted access to the Al Safwa lounge, and instead will be in the Al Mourjan Lounge.

However, most posts on here seem to indicate I'll be stuck in the HIA First lounge. I'll also have a guest with me. Thoughts?
Old Apr 4, 2017, 5:54 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
QR Lounges at HIA are based on class of travel:

If on a OneWorld flight in F - QR Al Safwa Lounge
If in a OneWorld flight in J, connecting from a 5 hour or longer flight in F - QR Al Safwa Lounge
If on a OneWorld flight in J - QR Al Mourjan Lounge

If not travelling in a Premium class cabin, you will be invited to use the HIA Lounges. The HIA Lounges are based on loyalty status level

OneWorld Emerald - HIA First Class Lounge
OneWorld Sapphire - HIA Business Class Lounge

You are in Y, thus not a Premium class cabin.
You have OneWorld status, and thus see above.

Plenty of info in the WIKI too.

M
Old Apr 4, 2017, 6:11 am

Originally Posted by ocdb8r
Sorry to be asking what appears to be the same question asked and answered, but things still aren't clear to me (which, perhaps, is what Qatar wants). I'm a OW Emerald traveling on Qatar in Y with a couple of decent length layovers in DOH. I know Al Safwa is a no-go. What about Al Mourjan? From the above linked article:

The situation for those travelling on Qatar Airways in business class, or those who are top tier Emerald in Oneworld, is that unless they are flying one segment in first class with Qatar Airways, either on a short-haul leg or a long-haul, then they will not be granted access to the Al Safwa lounge, and instead will be in the Al Mourjan Lounge.

However, most posts on here seem to indicate I'll be stuck in the HIA First lounge. I'll also have a guest with me. Thoughts?
ocdb8r I can understand your bewilderment at this press release.

The access rules are quite simple:-
Al Safwa: You have access if you are departing DOH in F or if you arrive on a longhaul F ticket. Op-ups and guests are not allowed.
Al Mourjan: You have access if you are departing DOH in J or if you arrive on a Longhaul J class ticket. No guests are permitted.
First Class lounge: OWE's and non Oneworld First passengers only. uests are permitted.
Business class lounge: OWS's and non Oneworld Business class passengers only. Guests are permitted.
You can 'slum down' the list if you wish.

The rules are so simple that even ABB should have learnt them by now instead of spouting such gibberish!
Old Apr 4, 2017, 7:31 am

Programs: AA EXP, TK Elite, HH Gold, SPG/Marriott Gold
ocdb8r I can understand your bewilderment at this press release.

The access rules are quite simple:-
Al Safwa: You have access if you are departing DOH in F or if you arrive on a longhaul F ticket. Op-ups and guests are not allowed.
Al Mourjan: You have access if you are departing DOH in J or if you arrive on a Longhaul J class ticket. No guests are permitted.
First Class lounge: OWE's and non Oneworld First passengers only. uests are permitted.
Business class lounge: OWS's and non Oneworld Business class passengers only. Guests are permitted.
You can 'slum down' the list if you wish.

The rules are so simple that even ABB should have learnt them by now instead of spouting such gibberish!
Thanks for the clarification but just one question. Your post suggests that
the FCL also open to Non OW airlines. I did not think so...So a LH F
passenger can not go into FCL I think !

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.