Old Apr 9, 2015, 8:51 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Schwann
PLEASE NOTE: The below information is largely out of date as of 2023 and needs to be updated:

Hamad International Airport (HIA) offers passengers a number of different lounges. The Departure Lounges at HIA include :

Qatar Airways Al Safwa Lounge - QR and OW First Class Passengers only
Qatar Airways Al Mourjan Lounge - QR and OW First and Business Class Passengers only
HIA First Class Lounge
HIA Business Class Lounge
Oryx Lounge
Al Maha lounge

Additionally, there is an arrivals lounge for those exiting the airport (either very long connection or if Doha is their final destination)

For information on which lounge to use, when travelling with QR, at other airports, please see here.

Which Departure Lounge can I use?

Qatar Airways Al Safwa Lounge - The Lounge access is only for Qatar Airways and Oneworld First Class passengers and is located on Level 3 of the airport. Arriving on a longhaul Qatar First class qualifies for lounge access even if connecting flight is not in F. Reports on the Lounge, can be found here(external link) and here. Photographs of the lounge, can be found here (external). Wiki for Al Safwa is here.
The absolute minimum requirement for access is a boarding card for a flight departing in F or a boarding card for an incoming longhaul F flight. Op-ups and guests are not admitted.

Qatar Airways Al Mourjan Lounge - The Lounge access is only for Qatar Airways and Oneworld First and Business Class passengers and is located on Level 3 of the airport. Information and photographs can be found here - here. A thread has recently been started specific to Al Mourjan - http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qatar...ss-lounge.html. Existing posts in this thread about Al Mourjan will be moved there as time permits.
The absolute minimum requirement for access is a boarding card for a flight departing in J or a boarding card for an incoming longhaul J flight.

HIA First Class Lounge - The First Class Lounge is located on Concourse A, Level 2 at the airport and offers facilities which include complimentary high-speed Wi-Fi, shower facilities, conference rooms, smoking rooms, family rooms, a business centre and a nursery. First or Business class ticketed passengers as well as QR Privilege Club Platinum and Oneworld alliance Emerald members may access this facility.
The absolute minimum requirement for access is a boarding card showing OWE status for your departing flight.

HIA Business Class Lounge - This lounge, that caters for First or Business class ticketed passengers as well as QR Privilege Club, Platinum Gold and Silver members and oneworld alliance Emerald and Sapphire members, is located on Concourse A, Level 2 at the airport, and offers facilities which include complimentary high-speed Wi-Fi, shower facilities, conference rooms, smoking rooms, family rooms, a business centre and a nursery.
The absolute minimum requirement for access is a boarding card showing OWS status for your departing flight.

Oryx Lounge - May be used only by eligible customers when travelling on: British Airways, Cathay Pacific, Royal Jordanian, SriLankan Airlines. Economy passengers will be able to gain access to the lounge for a fee of QAR 200 (USD 55).

Al Maha Lounge - Available to priority pass members. Located opposite the entrance to the Oryx Lounge.

Arrivals Lounge - There are essentially 2 - the first one is prior to immigration and has some snacks, drinks, and a seating area, as well as a dedicated immigration booth. The second (and main) one is just outside customs to the left, near the W.H. Smith store. This one has snacks, drinks, a menu to order from, showers, etc. Both arrivals lounges are for QR J passengers only, oneworld status alone will not get you into the lounge.

Opening Times
QR lounges are open 24 hours/day and serve no alcoholic beverages during Ramadan (27 May-25 June 2017 and 16 May-14 June 2018).

Luggage facilites
There are luggage boxes for hand luggage in Al Safwa, Al Mourjan, First Class and Business Class lounges.

Transit Options
Alternatives for long transits:
Print Wikipost

QR Lounges at HIA

Old Sep 28, 2022, 3:29 pm

Programs: BA Silver, Hyatt
Back in Al Mourjan after c.4 years. Pre the c.11pm rush it remains as good as ever - actually thought a la carte dining quality better than pre covid. But agreed with others here that in peak periods quality deteriorates significantly/capacity issues even with FF lounges open (eg long queue for dining room) I was told satellite lounge opening ‘soon’ which should help.
Old Sep 28, 2022, 4:10 pm

Programs: AC, MH, BA, AF-KL
Originally Posted by michaelpowell44
Origninating at DOH 1:30am departure in business. By reading oneworld access rules of same day access I wouldnt be able to access til 12 midnight. Does anyone know how early I can actually go to the lounge? I'd like to get there by 8pm the evening before.
You'll be fine. The definition of "same day" is thankfully far more generous than that.
Old Sep 29, 2022, 8:49 am

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by dnlfrancis12
Back in Al Mourjan after c.4 years. Pre the c.11pm rush it remains as good as ever - actually thought a la carte dining quality better than pre covid. But agreed with others here that in peak periods quality deteriorates significantly/capacity issues even with FF lounges open (eg long queue for dining room) I was told satellite lounge opening ‘soon’ which should help.
I believe they are all opening next month and one of every QR lounge replicated in the new North node with the exception of Al Safwa. So there definitely won’t be any capacity issues from next month with 4 new lounges. The Al Mourjan North lounge is almost identical in size to the current South lounge so will be vast with a spa, gym and restaurants.
Old Oct 2, 2022, 3:28 pm

Originally Posted by SilverChris
You'll be fine. The definition of "same day" is thankfully far more generous than that.
Yes, it was. Thanks!
Old Oct 31, 2022, 2:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
Transiting Doha for the first time in a few days; AA EXP, paid business in and out of QR (albeit on AA codeshares/"D" fare code should that make a difference.) Have PriorityPass Select through the Marriott Amex, should it matter but it sounds like that doesn't?

Arriving around 9:30PM, out around 1:30AM It sounds like I'd have to pay to get into Al Safwa or Oryx, but otherwise pretty much everything else is open to me.

Is Al Mourjan going to be the best choice at that hour?

On the return, it's a QR ticket (C fare, if it matters) - will be a Friday night, get in around 11PM, depart to the SFO flight a little before 8AM - for that length, is it worth paying to get into Al Safwa? It sounded like there were sleeping rooms.
Old Oct 31, 2022, 1:26 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by nkedel
On the return, it's a QR ticket (C fare, if it matters) - will be a Friday night, get in around 11PM, depart to the SFO flight a little before 8AM - for that length, is it worth paying to get into Al Safwa? It sounded like there were sleeping rooms.
At that hour, there might/likely be a wait for a sleeping room. I wouldn't pay for AS unless a sleeping room was available.
nkedel and ISTFlyer like this.
Old Mar 10, 2023, 3:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Marriott 5+ BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
I'll have around 10 hours in DOH next week, from 1600-0200 the following day. As an OW Sapphire (AS MVPG) flying QR Y I'm assuming the QR Gold Lounge is the place to go? There is an "Al Maha" lounge which accepts PP, which would be the other option; PP also has a couple of "Sleep N Fly" places, so I might take advantage of one of those at some point. TIA for any advice.

-J.
Old Mar 10, 2023, 11:49 pm

Gold lounge will be your best bet, as the Al Maha lounge will be the most basic of them all. By all means try to get a sleeping pod, but remember that about 300 other people will probably be having the same thought at the same time you're at the airport...

The Gold lounge is also relatively new (1 year or so ago), whereas the latter dates back to the original opening of the airport if memory serves.
GW McLintock likes this.
Old Mar 11, 2023, 4:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor BadgeMarriott 5+ Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
Originally Posted by stargold
Gold lounge will be your best bet, as the Al Maha lounge will be the most basic of them all. By all means try to get a sleeping pod, but remember that about 300 other people will probably be having the same thought at the same time you're at the airport...

The Gold lounge is also relatively new (1 year or so ago), whereas the latter dates back to the original opening of the airport if memory serves.
Good point about the sleep suites, and honestly I think it's in my interest to stay awake as long as possible so I can sleep on the flight. Good to know that the Gold lounge isn't terrible. It's finally hitting me that I have basically an entire day here so I'm starting to think about to to keep myself busy.

-J.
Old Mar 12, 2023, 1:02 am

Originally Posted by GW McLintock
I'll have around 10 hours in DOH next week, from 1600-0200 the following day. As an OW Sapphire (AS MVPG) flying QR Y I'm assuming the QR Gold Lounge is the place to go? There is an "Al Maha" lounge which accepts PP, which would be the other option; PP also has a couple of "Sleep N Fly" places, so I might take advantage of one of those at some point. TIA for any advice.

-J.
Gold lounge is pretty decent, definitely a significant step up from the previous frequent flyer lounge option.

I have used the Sleep n Fly before, and to be honest, unless you feel like you will really want to sleep, I don't recommend it. It is cramped and overpriced.
GW McLintock likes this.
Old Mar 12, 2023, 9:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by GW McLintock

-J.
The weather's pleasant enough after the sun goes down: why not leave the airport, take the metro to the Msheireb, mouch around the souq for a bit, grab a bite, maybe check out the cormiche then head back to airport.

Alternatively there are plenty hotels where fifty-quid or so would get you a rest in comfort for six hours or so, maybe a pool.
Old Mar 12, 2023, 10:51 am

In my opinion, the gold lounge is a bit of a letdown, especially compared to the silver lounge. I find the gold lounge to be very cramped, with no quiet area, unlike the silver lounge which is more spacious and has a quiet lounge area.
Old Mar 12, 2023, 6:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor BadgeMarriott 5+ Badge

Appreciate the feedback. I have PP for the Sleep N Fly, but I think I'll still skip it. I'll look into heading out of the airport for a bit, but to be honest I have some travel planned for next year where a Qatari stamp in my passport would cause more trouble than it's worth (at the risk of falling into OMNI/PR lol ).

-J.
Old Mar 13, 2023, 1:02 am

Programs: QR Plat
I was recently through Al-Safwa a few times, at the midnight peak and then once during the morning around 5-6am. I was surprised at how packed it was for all the visits.

Also, I looked for another thread for this, but wifi at DOH is decidely crap, there was massive issues just getting connected at all times.

-A
Old Apr 1, 2023, 7:20 am

Is therer a J arrivals' lounge in DOH?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.