Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 9, 2015, 8:51 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Schwann
PLEASE NOTE: The below information is largely out of date as of 2023 and needs to be updated:

Hamad International Airport (HIA) offers passengers a number of different lounges. The Departure Lounges at HIA include :

Qatar Airways Al Safwa Lounge - QR and OW First Class Passengers only
Qatar Airways Al Mourjan Lounge - QR and OW First and Business Class Passengers only
HIA First Class Lounge
HIA Business Class Lounge
Oryx Lounge
Al Maha lounge

Additionally, there is an arrivals lounge for those exiting the airport (either very long connection or if Doha is their final destination)

For information on which lounge to use, when travelling with QR, at other airports, please see here.

Which Departure Lounge can I use?

Qatar Airways Al Safwa Lounge - The Lounge access is only for Qatar Airways and Oneworld First Class passengers and is located on Level 3 of the airport. Arriving on a longhaul Qatar First class qualifies for lounge access even if connecting flight is not in F. Reports on the Lounge, can be found here(external link) and here. Photographs of the lounge, can be found here (external). Wiki for Al Safwa is here.
The absolute minimum requirement for access is a boarding card for a flight departing in F or a boarding card for an incoming longhaul F flight. Op-ups and guests are not admitted.

Qatar Airways Al Mourjan Lounge - The Lounge access is only for Qatar Airways and Oneworld First and Business Class passengers and is located on Level 3 of the airport. Information and photographs can be found here - here. A thread has recently been started specific to Al Mourjan - http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qatar...ss-lounge.html. Existing posts in this thread about Al Mourjan will be moved there as time permits.
The absolute minimum requirement for access is a boarding card for a flight departing in J or a boarding card for an incoming longhaul J flight.

HIA First Class Lounge - The First Class Lounge is located on Concourse A, Level 2 at the airport and offers facilities which include complimentary high-speed Wi-Fi, shower facilities, conference rooms, smoking rooms, family rooms, a business centre and a nursery. First or Business class ticketed passengers as well as QR Privilege Club Platinum and Oneworld alliance Emerald members may access this facility.
The absolute minimum requirement for access is a boarding card showing OWE status for your departing flight.

HIA Business Class Lounge - This lounge, that caters for First or Business class ticketed passengers as well as QR Privilege Club, Platinum Gold and Silver members and oneworld alliance Emerald and Sapphire members, is located on Concourse A, Level 2 at the airport, and offers facilities which include complimentary high-speed Wi-Fi, shower facilities, conference rooms, smoking rooms, family rooms, a business centre and a nursery.
The absolute minimum requirement for access is a boarding card showing OWS status for your departing flight.

Oryx Lounge - May be used only by eligible customers when travelling on: British Airways, Cathay Pacific, Royal Jordanian, SriLankan Airlines. Economy passengers will be able to gain access to the lounge for a fee of QAR 200 (USD 55).

Al Maha Lounge - Available to priority pass members. Located opposite the entrance to the Oryx Lounge.

Arrivals Lounge - There are essentially 2 - the first one is prior to immigration and has some snacks, drinks, and a seating area, as well as a dedicated immigration booth. The second (and main) one is just outside customs to the left, near the W.H. Smith store. This one has snacks, drinks, a menu to order from, showers, etc. Both arrivals lounges are for QR J passengers only, oneworld status alone will not get you into the lounge.

Opening Times
QR lounges are open 24 hours/day and serve no alcoholic beverages during Ramadan (27 May-25 June 2017 and 16 May-14 June 2018).

Luggage facilites
There are luggage boxes for hand luggage in Al Safwa, Al Mourjan, First Class and Business Class lounges.

Transit Options
Alternatives for long transits:
Print Wikipost

QR Lounges at HIA

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23, 2018, 10:17 am

Programs: AA EXP, TK Elite, HH Gold, SPG/Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Thomas PL
Hi, a friend of mine is wondering if he would be granted access to HIA Business Class Lounge (not Al Mourjan as this we know he won't):
He is QRPC Gold (OW-Saph), traveling in Y on flight marketed and operated by QR, transiting in Doha, but he is now switching from QRPC to BAEC so he will be crediting his flights to BAEC, so on the Boarding Pass there will be his BA Blue number (no OW status). Will he be granted entrance to any of the lounges in HIA?
Yes. He should be...As long as he brings his QR card that shows him to be elite enough to access
the lounge...
Thomas PL likes this.
Old Jul 24, 2018, 8:41 am

Programs: QF Platinum, Velocity Platinum
Doha Lounge

Please pardon my ignorance, I have never flown QR before. Am travelling with my wife NCE-DOH-BKK in Business class. I am a QF Platinum / OW Emerald. are we allowed to access the First Class lounge in Doha or only the Business lounge? Appreciate your advise. Many thanks.
Old Jul 24, 2018, 9:00 am

Programs: qatar airways platinum
Originally Posted by flyingmad
Please pardon my ignorance, I have never flown QR before. Am travelling with my wife NCE-DOH-BKK in Business class. I am a QF Platinum / OW Emerald. are we allowed to access the First Class lounge in Doha or only the Business lounge? Appreciate your advise. Many thanks.
You will have access to the Al Mourjan lounge. Whilst it is a business class lounge it quite spectacular.
Old Jul 24, 2018, 10:23 am

You would also have access to the 'first class lounge' for OWE, but its not as nice as the Al Mourjan lounge.
This is due to Qatars lounges being 'class only' lounges. Which is nice for me when I fly RJ and UL in J out of DOH!
Old Jul 25, 2018, 9:17 am

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by s115
You would also have access to the 'first class lounge' for OWE, but its not as nice as the Al Mourjan lounge.
This is due to Qatars lounges being 'class only' lounges. Which is nice for me when I fly RJ and UL in J out of DOH!
To be clear here, the ‘First Class Lounge’ is not Al Safwa First. As a OWE in J, assuming you booked a J ticket originally you will have access to the Al Mourjan Business lounge, the First Class lounge (intended for OWEs), the Business Class lounge (for OWSs) and the Al Maha lounge (pay for use without status). If you have upgraded into J, you will have access to all of these except Al Mourjan.
Old Aug 2, 2018, 1:05 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Platinum, AA, AS, DL, NH, QF, QR, UA, USAF
My wife and I are going to South Africa again in 3 weeks: DFW-DOH-JNB (AA Business-class award). Despite reading all 172 pages, we still have a couple of questions. (Thanks FT for previous advice). We are passing on the Doha tours.

We both use wheelchairs/carts at DOH. Last year we took the later flights between DOH and JNB, so we booked a room at the Airport Hotel at our own expense (AA tix again, confused the staff who assumed that we were using the free stopover) on the outbound and had a short layover on the return. This time we have a 9:30 layover outbound and an 8-hour layover on the return. We slept better on the old 777 than on the 787 (more wiggle room for our feet).

Since we arrive at DOH at 16:30 from the USA, should we try to find a “quiet room” immediately since out body clocks are already wacked out? (BTW, are they in the back of Al Mourjan near the deli? There needs to be a map of the lounge itself!) I would think it would be harder returning to the USA since we arrive near midnight.

We would appreciate any sage advice from more experienced FTers as to how to plan out the Lounge visits.
Old Aug 2, 2018, 8:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by AZ Boomer
Since we arrive at DOH at 16:30 from the USA, should we try to find a “quiet room” immediately since out body clocks are already wacked out? (BTW, are they in the back of Al Mourjan near the deli? ... ) I would think it would be harder returning to the USA since we arrive near midnight.
Yes, the quiet rooms are in the back. Go into the Deli. At the end of the first long counter on the right, just after the cold drinks in that little chiller thingy (but before the second counter where the desserts and coffee are located), you'll see a hallway. This is where the bathrooms are. Go down that hallway, past the bathrooms, to the very end until you cannot go further, then turn right, followed by an immediate left (which is the only way you can go). You are now in the shower and quiet room area. There will be a reception desk. Ask at the desk if there are any quiet rooms available. (Please ask quietly, so that those of us who are already sleeping can remain that way!)

The rooms are not ideally designed for two; there is one sofa on which to recline in each of the quiet rooms, and it's not wide/deep enough for more than one person. The other person will get the chair, which is upright and doesn't recline at all.
Old Aug 3, 2018, 2:27 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Platinum, AA, AS, DL, NH, QF, QR, UA, USAF
Thanks and sweet dreams of Red Sox baseballs flying over the Green Monster and A350-1000s flying to Logan.
Old Aug 3, 2018, 7:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by AZ Boomer
... A350-1000s flying to Logan.
^
Old Jan 9, 2019, 3:42 am

Which Lounge?

Hi All

I have flights booked as follows this weekend. I think I qualify for Al Safwa on the first trip but not the return trip is that correct? I assume the first lounge is only for Departing transit and not Arriving transit?

LHR to DOH (Bus)
DOH to KWI (First)

Then the reverse (next week not that timing matters to the question)

KWI to DOH (First)
DOH to LHR (Bus)

Thank you!
george77300 likes this.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 4:58 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Originally Posted by Saunmj
Hi All

I have flights booked as follows this weekend. I think I qualify for Al Safwa on the first trip but not the return trip is that correct? I assume the first lounge is only for Departing transit and not Arriving transit?

LHR to DOH (Bus)
DOH to KWI (First)

Then the reverse (next week not that timing matters to the question)

KWI to DOH (First)
DOH to LHR (Bus)

Thank you!
Your assumption is correct.

Al Safwa on the outbound
Al Mourjan on the inbound

Safe travels,

M
Saunmj and george77300 like this.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 10:09 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Sorry to take over your thread @Saunmj but I have the same type of trip planned.

LHR-MCT and MCT-LHR (via DOH of course). All booked in “Business - (R)” but the MCT legs, despite being on A330 normal business 2-2-2 and A320 business 2-2 are both ticketed to “First - (A)” despite not being First?

Does this mean I get First lounge access in DOH on the outbound (not inbound though)? Only 1hr45min connection so not much time (even shorter 1hr20min return). Not done QR business before so I’m unaware and not even been to DOH before. Do you think I’ll even have time? Many thanks. Maybe @msm2000uk can help. You seem a knowledgeable guy.

Finally if yes, why do QR do this? Why not just put me in “Business - (R)” for all 4 legs? It seems as daft and the complete opposite as the American carriers calling it First but booking into business.

Many thanks.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 10:19 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Originally Posted by george77300
Sorry to take over your thread @Saunmj but I have the same type of trip planned.

LHR-MCT and MCT-LHR (via DOH of course). All booked in “Business - (R)” but the MCT legs, despite being on A330 normal business 2-2-2 and A320 business 2-2 are both ticketed to “First - (A)” despite not being First?

Does this mean I get First lounge access in DOH on the outbound (not inbound though)? Only 1hr45min connection so not much time (even shorter 1hr20min return). Not done QR business before so I’m unaware and not even been to DOH before. Do you think I’ll even have time? Many thanks. Maybe @msm2000uk can help. You seem a knowledgeable guy.

Finally if yes, why do QR do this? Why not just put me in “Business - (R)” for all 4 legs? It seems as daft and the complete opposite as the American carriers calling it First but booking into business.

Many thanks.
So just to clarify:

LHR-DOH J
DOH-MCT F

MCT-DOH F
DOH-LHR J

You will have access to the Al Safwa on the outbound, but not the inbound.

Business is not sold on intra-Gulf legs; instead, it is sold as First. I can't tell you precisely why this is done, but I'd presume the reasoning is cultural.

In terms of the US carriers, AA sell First on quite a few flights, yet it is Business. Excluding the AA Trans-Con, where both First and Business are sold, all other flights with AA (for example) book into either Economy of First (albeit it is now [past 18 months] marked as I/J/D opposed to F/A).

M
george77300 likes this.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 10:22 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by msm2000uk
So just to clarify:

LHR-DOH J
DOH-MCT F

MCT-DOH F
DOH-LHR J

You will have access to the Al Safwa on the outbound, but not the inbound.

Business is not sold on intra-Gulf legs; instead, it is sold as First. I can't tell you precisely why this is done, but I'd presume the reasoning is cultural.

In terms of the US carriers, AA sell First on quite a few flights, yet it is Business. Excluding the AA Trans-Con, where both First and Business are sold, all other flights with AA (for example) book into either Economy of First (albeit it is now [past 18 months] marked as I/J/D opposed to F/A).

M
Many thanks for the info. Much appreciated. Have you been through Doha before and in which case is either 1hr45 outbound or 1hr20 inbound long enough to visit lounges do you think? Maybe on outbound if LHR flight lands on time, but unlikely on inbound?

Thanks.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 2:54 pm
Zol
Moderator: Emirates Skywards and Qatar Airways Privilege Club

Programs: EK Gold|EY Gold|Bonvoy Ambassador| IHG Plat|HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by george77300

Many thanks for the info. Much appreciated. Have you been through Doha before and in which case is either 1hr45 outbound or 1hr20 inbound long enough to visit lounges do you think? Maybe on outbound if LHR flight lands on time, but unlikely on inbound?

Thanks.
It will be sufficient to connect comfortably but depending on the walk from the gate maybe not enough to fully enjoy the facilities.
george77300 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.