Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qatar Airways | Privilege Club
Reload this Page >

Business product: Emirates vs. Qatar Airways

Old Apr 19, 14, 5:26 pm
Original Poster

Hi everyone! I'm flying from Larnaca (Cyprus) to Manila (Philippines) next month. Im spending my summer there because apparently summer here in Cyprus is way to hot than in the Philippines and my awesome parents told me i could fly in business class. Etihad was not in my choices anymore because of that virus spreading in Abu dhabi. So im torn between these two airline. I usually fly with gulf air but last year I tried Emirates economy (From Manila to Dubai) and got upgraded to business (From Dubai to Larnaca) and it was the best flying experience I had. I heard Qatar airways was good too. Could you please help me guys choose. Im not into food so it doesnt matter which airline serves the best food. This maybe the last time i would in business ( atleast for now since im still a student ) and i want to make sure this flying with either of the airline will be memorable and perfect. Thank you in advance! :*
Old Apr 19, 14, 9:23 pm

Programs: QR Gold
Originally Posted by thisismejerome View Post
Hi everyone! I'm flying from Larnaca (Cyprus) to Manila (Philippines) next month. Im spending my summer there because apparently summer here in Cyprus is way to hot than in the Philippines and my awesome parents told me i could fly in business class. Etihad was not in my choices anymore because of that virus spreading in Abu dhabi. So im torn between these two airline. I usually fly with gulf air but last year I tried Emirates economy (From Manila to Dubai) and got upgraded to business (From Dubai to Larnaca) and it was the best flying experience I had. I heard Qatar airways was good too. Could you please help me guys choose. Im not into food so it doesnt matter which airline serves the best food. This maybe the last time i would in business ( atleast for now since im still a student ) and i want to make sure this flying with either of the airline will be memorable and perfect. Thank you in advance! :*

Well, I would choose Qatar Aiways since it operates the big 777 to Manila. The 777 are configured 2-2-2 seats across and are a flat bed. The EK on the other hand are 2-3-2, you get an extra seat in the row, which means the seats are narrower. The seats do not get flat.

Plus, the new airport opens in May 31, so if your traveling by then, you will get to use the brand new airport!
Old Apr 20, 14, 2:58 am

In EK's favour is that both flights will be on B777-300ERs - with Qatar the LCA-DOH (and return) flight will be on a narrow body A320.

EK also has 3 flights a day to MNL so waiting times are significantly shorter. This would be a clincher for me as it appears QR transit time is excessive.
Old Apr 20, 14, 11:20 am

Programs: UA MM/1P, EK Ag, QR, TK, Marriott Life Ti, Hilton Dia, IC Spire, Hyatt Glob, Shangri-La
+1 QR's 777 is better than any Emirates aircraft (except the 380) in biz, but having to fly a short-haul aircraft for the first four hours plus the unpleasant transit in DOH, even in the premium terminal (assuming that the new airport is not open, which is the only prudent assumption to make), plus the schedule, would give EK a slight edge for me.

However, think of mileage. If you do a moderate amount of flying, you might find the ability to earn miles on a oneworld program more useful than sticking to Emirates. I would also look at price, and take one or the other if it's significantly less.
Old Apr 20, 14, 2:37 pm
Original Poster

How about the service? the aminities? lounge? and overall experience? which one feels more premium? btw, thank you for the reponses guys!
Old Apr 20, 14, 2:42 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by QatarA340 View Post
Well, I would choose Qatar Aiways since it operates the big 777 to Manila. The 777 are configured 2-2-2 seats across and are a flat bed. The EK on the other hand are 2-3-2, you get an extra seat in the row, which means the seats are narrower. The seats do not get flat.

Plus, the new airport opens in May 31, so if your traveling by then, you will get to use the brand new airport!
well, it doesn't matter if the seat is flat or not since i cant sleep on a plane. so which airline will keep me occupied or entertained?

is it better than dubai airport? or alteast worth visiting?
Old Apr 22, 14, 10:24 am

Programs: Skywards Platinum
The Emirates 777 seats do go flat. And, I don't believe they are much more narrow than the QR seats, QR just has much wider aisles. I find the EK seats to have quite a bit more privacy between each seat compared to QR, I also find the EK flat beds, although slightly angled, to be more comfortable to sleep in than the QR flat beds, but that is just my opinion.

EK has a far better AVOD system.

Crediting miles to OW is a valuable benefit to flying with QR, if those sort of things matter.
Old Apr 22, 14, 1:50 pm

Programs: OWS, *A G
Originally Posted by whimike

That's what I wanted to point out to the OP as well.
Old Apr 22, 14, 9:04 pm

I'd choose QR for a true flat bed on the 777, and for not having to sit in that tacky Emirates cabin for 10 hours.
Old Apr 22, 14, 10:50 pm

Originally Posted by whimike View Post
The Emirates 777 seats do go flat. And, I don't believe they are much more narrow than the QR seats, QR just has much wider aisles. I find the EK seats to have quite a bit more privacy between each seat compared to QR, I also find the EK flat beds, although slightly angled, to be more comfortable to sleep in than the QR flat beds, but that is just my opinion.

Crediting miles to OW is a valuable benefit to flying with QR, if those sort of things matter.
EK seats DO NOT go flat, i tried them last week, and the seats are 2-3-2 which are way narrower than the 2-2-2 seats of QR. The cabin in QR feels much larger due to the fewer people per row and larger space between each row. EK is known to cram more people per plane to get more profit. Look into their economy seats whcih are torturous.

Originally Posted by peterdudas View Post
That's what I wanted to point out to the OP as well.
I prefer the simpler AVOD of QR than the ICE system.
Old Apr 22, 14, 11:50 pm

I agree that the EK 777 seats are not flat. For me its not a bother as I sleep well in the sloped seats. EK fit 35 seats on the 77W in the same space that QR fit 24 seats.

My personal opinion on the EK/QR J class comparison on the 777:

Seat: QR - More room, full flat and no middle seat which is a big thing for me. Though on EK you get a wide body all the way from LCA.

Privacy: EK's seat is more private, which I like when I sleep

Cabin crew: I find the EK crew more personable and friendly usually. QR's crew can be robotic sometimes, but I think in J-class they are more proactive and service oriented than the EK crew.

IFE: Definitely EK for me. More choice and I find it easier to use and more responsive.

Catering: Food quality is about equal. QR is dine on demand and the service has a more premium feel. I prefer the snacks on EK compared to QR on the US flights, have never flown to MNL so don't know how the service is like.

Airport: I like the atmosphere in QR's premium lounge and I like the concept of no announcements. Both the EK and QR lounges can get overcrowded, though I like stretching my legs and explore DXB airport when the lounge is overcrowded.

Overall I think QR's product feels more premium and sophisticated, though its a matter of taste as there is certainly more (in my opinion tacky) bling on the EK aircraft. Personally I would pick EK based on their schedule. QR's LCA flights don't connect well with MNL.
Old Apr 23, 14, 1:42 am

Look into their economy seats whcih are torturous.
I think you've gone over the top here.

Whilst on the QR Boeing fleet - I agree with you - the 2-4-2 setup with almost 19" width is lightyears ahead of the 3-4-3 layout of EK (17"), I fail to see (or experience) any major advantage of the Airbus WB fleet (17.5" seat width) over the above EK seats.

On the other hand, the middle armrests of the EK Y seats can be folded completely upright into gap between the backrests. This has yielded me numerous flights with an effective flat bed of 4 Y seats

However, I find QR's Airbus NB seats to be a terrible experience for a 5-hour flight.
Old Apr 23, 14, 2:11 am

I think you've gone over the top here.

Whilst on the QR Boeing fleet - I agree with you - the 2-4-2 setup with almost 19" width is lightyears ahead of the 3-4-3 layout of EK (17"), I fail to see (or experience) any major advantage of the Airbus WB fleet (17.5" seat width) over the above EK seats.

On the other hand, the middle armrests of the EK Y seats can be folded completely upright into gap between the backrests. This has yielded me numerous flights with an effective flat bed of 4 Y seats

However, I find QR's Airbus NB seats to be a terrible experience for a 5-hour flight.
Even QR's A320's are 18 inches wide, and fully open up--wider than EK's 777 seats in economy.

I dont think the Airbus economy section is 17.5 even though seatguru says that. Airbus standard for economy is 18 inches. But a layout of 2-4-2 in an airbus is better than 3-4-3, which is really packed.
Old Apr 23, 14, 2:42 am

Programs: QR PC Silver, FlySmiles, Skywards
Whilst on the QR Boeing fleet - I agree with you - the 2-4-2 setup with almost 19" width is lightyears ahead of the 3-4-3 layout of EK
QR 777 are 3-3-3 in Y.
Old Apr 23, 14, 11:21 am

Originally Posted by kataka View Post
Quote:

Originally Posted by peterdudas

Whilst on the QR Boeing fleet - I agree with you - the 2-4-2 setup with almost 19" width is lightyears ahead of the 3-4-3 layout of EK

QR 777 are 3-3-3 in Y.
You're right, my bad.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: