Search

Refurbished A320! Or not?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2014, 11:09 am
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Oneworld, *A; Hilton, SPG
Refurbished A320! Or not?

Just wondering if anyone knows how I can check whether an upcoming flight is on a refurbished A320. I remember someone publishing a list of registrations of planes that have already been refurbished, but I don't know how to check whether a flight will be using that plane or not. Is it just me, or does flightradar not provide any information on plane registrations for QR flights?
Old Apr 18, 2014, 11:59 am

jdtravels,

Right now the refurbished A320s are on:

TUN
GVA
MXP
FCO
VCE
VIE
DME

and also they can be seen occasionally on other routes. If you are flying the above routes on the A320 then most likely you will have the full flat seats.
Old Apr 18, 2014, 8:06 pm

Programs: Qatar Airways Gold, Singapore air Kris flyer,Emirates Silver, Etihad Gold
Just do a dummy booking on Expedia or something and try to book economy class seat (just to see the seat map) if the seat map shows economy starting from row 8 through 28 then it’s a refurbished one.
Old Apr 19, 2014, 3:25 pm
Original Member

Programs: BA Gold, ex-BD Gold, SPG Gold, HH Gold
Originally Posted by N1Rotate
jdtravels,

Right now the refurbished A320s are on:

TUN
GVA
MXP
FCO
VCE
VIE
DME

and also they can be seen occasionally on other routes. If you are flying the above routes on the A320 then most likely you will have the full flat seats.
I flew DME-DOH-xxx last week. The outbound flight (the later, 1955 departure) had the refurbished A320; the return (the earlier, 1345 arrival) did not. The new J seats looked quite nice. Y seats seemed the same on both. In both cases, the seatmaps only showed 28 rows during online checkin.
Old Apr 26, 2014, 12:33 pm
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor Badge

good news: went on the refurbished A320! Pictures to come at some point.

Definitely a massive improvement, but a bit of a mixed bag still.

GOOD:
- much better than old seat with bed-like seat, massive screen, great shelf set slightly behind the headrest on the side closer to the window - actually can store a bottle, the amenity kits, a phone, a headset and a book
- excellent privacy (it may not look like it in the pictures, but the window and aisle seats are slightly staggered, so when lying down in the window seat, it really does feel very private)
- excellent service from cabin crew as always
- working noise-cancellation headsets (they blocked off some snoring sounds very well)

BAD:
- need to climb over aisle seat person to get to the loo
- space under the ottoman really not big enough to store much
- 2-2 on an A320 with these slightly wider seats make the cabin look a little cramped on boarding and in seated position (much better when in bed position)
- bed feels like it has a slight curve to it (no, I'm not trying to be that ??Correction person and I'm not going to argue that the bed isn't flat when QR claims it is or whatever). The bed was adequately padded and comfortable for sleeping, but whether it was flat or not, it still felt in actual use to have a slight curve to it, which slightly cradled the back. So ok if you sleep on your back, slightly strange if you are a side sleeper

TIPS
- window seat gets a larger storage area, but a smaller ottoman (i.e. leg room width-wise). This is only a slight difference, but definitely noticeable. I'm not a tall or large person, so I'd stick with my usual choice of a window seat. But for those who need the extra room, the aisle seat is the way to go.
- window seat also gets a slight depression in the seat frame just in front of the arm rest and towards the window. It is shallow and small, but just right for a phone.
Old Apr 26, 2014, 12:39 pm

Jdtravels,

Thanks for the info, I am due to travel on it soon and am hoping that I don't get a substitution. Good to hear about the storage and privacy. One additional benefit is that there is now more overhead space for the same number of seats as the business class cabin extends about 60 inches further aft.
Old Apr 26, 2014, 10:09 pm

Programs: Qatar Airways Gold, Singapore air Kris flyer,Emirates Silver, Etihad Gold
jdtravels

Thanks for the thorough review. I am so excited to see the pics
Old Apr 26, 2014, 10:44 pm

Programs: QR Gold
jdtravels, that was a wonderful analysis of the new A320 seats! Thank you very much!
Old Apr 27, 2014, 1:59 am

Programs: QR Platinum, WY Gold, Shangri-la Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Thanks - great review ^
Old Apr 27, 2014, 3:17 am

Programs: QR Gold, BAEC, Marriott Rewards Gold, SPG Gold
Nice to see an objective review JD, cheers mate.
Old Apr 28, 2014, 1:40 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
Recently flew this plane FCO-DOH and agree with jdtravels in all aspects, the only thing I found was that the "bed" was a little narrow - however, with the space available in an A320 I think they did a great job
Old May 3, 2014, 12:47 pm
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor Badge

Just read someone's review of the new business class on AA's A321T.

Must say I think their J seats on those aircraft are the same as those on QR's. They have better pictures.
Old May 9, 2014, 10:48 am

I had the opportunity to try the new seats and had a few more comments to add to those of jdtravels. The point of comparison is to the A330/B777 seat.

Pros:
- I found the seat cushion and shape to be more comfortable and ergonomic than the old A330 J-class seat or the 777 seat. I found the headrest more comfortable too. I slept quite well both on my side and back.

- The ottoman, while small, is pretty useful as it allowed me to raise my feet and get comfortable enjoying a movie while still at the gate.

- To add to jdtravel's comments, there are plenty of storage options for shoes, headsets etc... and they are better located around you than those on the 777 seat in my opinion. I had a book, wallet, cell phone, bottle of water and my headphones all on the shelf next to the headrest.

- The colour scheme and design is luxurious and pleasing to the eye with nice touches like the leather pocket for the magazines and safety cards.

- The IFE screen is closer to the seat position than on the 777 which gives a larger image, and while the device is laggy, I prefer the touchscreen remote to the 777 interface.

Cons:
- I am on the tall side and my impression was that the bed was shorter than the 777 bed. Its also narrower than the 777 seat at the head, shoulders and feet. Once the seat is flat there isn't much room for the arms to move inside the cocoon.

- If the aircraft had mood lighting the experience would be much better. The white lighting even when dimmed was too bright in my opinion and it was on for at least half the night flight.

Overall, I rank this seat way above the lie-flat A330/A340 seat. For flights of around 7 hours or less I would prefer it to the 777 seat just for the comfort while in seated or reclined position, better IFE interface and screen location, better storage. For above 7 hours I would prefer the superior space on the 777 in the flat position.
Old May 9, 2014, 11:01 am

Programs: QR Gold
Thanks N1Rotate for your comprehensive review. I can't wait to try them! Do you think the A319 all-J would feature exactly the same seat width and pitch as the ones you tried?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.