is this a legal connection?

Old Mar 21, 2014, 5:19 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA, BA, QR
is this a legal connection?

i thought there should be at least 90 mins for an international connection - i don't have to bother finding the aa lounge i guess

it's either this or a 10 hour layover via JFK !!!!

26 September

QR5251 Departure: 19:15 Pittsburgh Arrival: 19:50 Chicago
QR722 Departure: 20:45 Chicagp Arrival: 18:00 Doha
Old Mar 21, 2014, 7:04 am

Programs: QR Gold, BAEC, Marriott Rewards Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by ibr2008
i thought there should be at least 90 mins for an international connection - i don't have to bother finding the aa lounge i guess

26 September

The transfer at Chicago is domestic --> International. In my (admittedly limited) experience this is the easy part of a transfer within the USA; in theory just deplane & make your way to the departure gate - no security & no immigration to deal with, unlike doing it the other way round. This also assumes your luggage is checked through of course.

55 mins doesn't seem much but if everything's on time it should work. If you're late arriving into ORD, or maybe depending on which terminals are involved, that might be the start of a bigger problem, though it'll be up to the airline to get you a seat on the next available flight without charge.
Old Mar 21, 2014, 7:04 am

Programs: Latinpass Million Miler. BA Gold.
Originally Posted by ibr2008

26 September

I guess if it is published it must be legal - however it is very risky. Do you have to use QR flight numbers? If not, why not use an earlier flight between PIT amd ORD?
Old Mar 21, 2014, 4:11 pm

Programs: DL DM
It's okay, in theory--Qatar leaves from the same terminal in Chicago that your flight will arrive in from Pittsburgh. But I wouldn't be comfortable w/ a 55 minute connection, so it's like a domestic AA connection at ORD. But the QR flight is after all other international departures (except for a later AA flight to London), so if you miss it your'e probably stuck the night. AA has earlier connections through Chicago--why not just book an AA ticket separately? AA will take care of re-booking your QR flight if anything goes wrong, even on separate tickets.
Old Mar 21, 2014, 4:39 pm

Originally Posted by BlackBerryAddict
Why not use an earlier flight between PIT amd ORD?
QR 5251 has an on time performance of 51% with an average delay of 44 minutes. It is an AA flight operated by Republic Airline which has an overall poor on-time rating according to flightstats.com. Evening flights are more prone to delays since they can accumulate through the day.

If the Qatar website is only pricing your original connection of 55 minutes, (I have seen this on MIA-JFK-DOH 1 hour connection), use a third party website or TA. Or simply wait awhile. It is still early. You may see connections open up through Philly what with the impending start of service.
Old Mar 21, 2014, 10:42 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by impeymac
The transfer at Chicago is domestic --> International. In my (admittedly limited) experience this is the easy part of a transfer within the USA; in theory just deplane & make your way to the departure gate - no security & no immigration to deal with, unlike doing it the other way round. This also assumes your luggage is checked through of course.

55 mins doesn't seem much but if everything's on time it should work. If you're late arriving into ORD, or maybe depending on which terminals are involved, that might be the start of a bigger problem, though it'll be up to the airline to get you a seat on the next available flight without charge.
my concern is about time wasted if i am stuck in ord - if i want the earlier 4pm aa flight, it's adding $560 to the cost - that may be what i need to do. issues such as this aside, being based out of PIT, qr joining ow has been great for me - if the connection times are agreeable, i am getting good through fares with the domestic segments on aa in f etc. earlier i had to get two rt tickets - one domestic and one international and hope the domestic flight was on time. the frequency between pit and ord is really good compared to pit - jfk
Old Mar 21, 2014, 10:46 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by saveri
QR 5251 has an on time performance of 51% with an average delay of 44 minutes. It is an AA flight operated by Republic Airline which has an overall poor on-time rating according to flightstats.com. Evening flights are more prone to delays since they can accumulate through the day.

If the Qatar website is only pricing your original connection of 55 minutes, (I have seen this on MIA-JFK-DOH 1 hour connection), use a third party website or TA. Or simply wait awhile. It is still early. You may see connections open up through Philly what with the impending start of service.
i always use a ta for qr - that way i don't have to deal with qr directly if there are issues !!!

as of now, qr through ord is showing better fares, i am hoping that phl will have good fares once it is fully operational
Old Mar 21, 2014, 10:47 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BlackBerryAddict
I guess if it is published it must be legal - however it is very risky. Do you have to use QR flight numbers? If not, why not use an earlier flight between PIT amd ORD?
i think my question should have been - is this connection practical? i can use aa - but it adds to the costs i might have to do that as i don't want to be stuck at ord

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.