Qatar vs KLM vs Lufthansa? youth flyer

Old Mar 17, 2014, 5:39 am
JLC
Original Poster

Qatar vs KLM vs Lufthansa? youth flyer

Hi guys,

I live in Perth, WA and some of my family live in england. Im 15 and whilst I have flown before and enjoy flying I would have no idea what to do through an airport so I would need youth assistance or what ever they call it.

These flights are rather expensive, and I was trying to keep it as cheap as but seen as its such a long flight, I still want comfort ( and good entertainment as Im on my own).

I have flown on my own with Emirates before but they are a bit expensive so these three are cheaper options, which would you choose from these?

Thanks
Old Mar 17, 2014, 6:01 am

Programs: SAS eurobonus Flying Blue
Hi,
I have used all three. My opinion: on board Qatar airways is the best, but when you have issues, queries, questions etc., before or during your trip, KLM and Lufthansa staff are better. The websites of both KLM and Lufthansa seem to function a lot better as well, with fewer bugs that Qatar's.
Old Mar 17, 2014, 6:05 am
JLC
Original Poster

Thanks, I know it varies depending flight and length of flight but do they all have tv and entertainment to the standard of Emirates?
Old Mar 17, 2014, 7:37 am

Programs: QR PC Silver, FlySmiles, Skywards
KLM and Lufthansa do not fly to Australia, so you will be on a code chare.
Old Mar 17, 2014, 9:41 pm

Programs: QR Gold
Originally Posted by JLC
Hi guys,

I live in Perth, WA and some of my family live in england. Im 15 and whilst I have flown before and enjoy flying I would have no idea what to do through an airport so I would need youth assistance or what ever they call it.

These flights are rather expensive, and I was trying to keep it as cheap as but seen as its such a long flight, I still want comfort ( and good entertainment as Im on my own).

I have flown on my own with Emirates before but they are a bit expensive so these three are cheaper options, which would you choose from these?

Thanks
I would fly with QR, since QR flies to Perth. It is very easy to connect in Doha Airport and the staff will assist you in your transfer. I would not connect in a European Airport as it can get very complicated.
Old Mar 17, 2014, 9:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

JLC Welcome to the forum

You will need to check the actual routes and airline operating the flights offered.
http://www.perthairport.com.au/Fligh...RouteMaps.aspx
http://www.perthairport.com.au/Fligh...rnational.aspx

Originally Posted by kataka
KLM and Lufthansa do not fly to Australia, so you will be on a code chare.
From the airport web site
Singapore Airlines or Thai if LH. Malaysian if KLM

QR will have the least number of connections, as post above.

You can get Qantas freq flyer points on QR if its an eligible booking fare class.

For such a long distance not getting freq flyer points/miles is considered a crime here
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/infor...help-here.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/onewo...help-here.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/star-...post-here.html

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Mar 17, 2014 at 10:14 pm
Old Mar 18, 2014, 5:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
My last trip to Australia was on Qatar. I'd pick them above either of the other options (as others have noted, your KLM and Lufthansa tickets would necessarily involve other carriers - I'm guessing perhaps Malaysia Airlines for the KLM ticket, and Thai or Singapore Airlines for the Lufthansa ticket).

Transferring in Doha should be easier than transferring in KUL/BKK/SIN - in Doha, you will be bussed from the plane to the transfer terminal, just keep an eye out and make sure you get off at the correct stop (it's clearly indicated/announced on board). Doha airport is quite small, so you won't have the same issue with finding your way to the gate for your next flight that may arise in bigger, multi-terminal airports.

The onboard service on QR is far better than what you would receive with KLM or Lufthansa on board. The entertainment options are also far better with QR. (You can usually find the current month's movie/TV selections by looking at each airline's website - Qatar; KLM; Lufthansa)

By the way - I would definitely recommend that you at least call into a Flight Centre or some other travel agent in Perth - you are entitled to special Youth Fares which may be unavailable for general sale or not advertised online, and could actually find a cheaper ticket, or just save money on whatever prices you are now considering.
Old Mar 18, 2014, 6:24 am

Programs: CX,SQ,PR,QR
SIN/KUL are the easiest transits, in my opinion; and the ground service would be better if you need to ask for some help. DOH is not completely bad, but it tends to be chaotic/confusing during peak hours, especially to those passing through there the first time.

In terms of inflight comfort - QR wins, no doubt!
Old Mar 20, 2014, 3:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by bluegreentravel
DOH is not completely bad, but it tends to be chaotic/confusing during peak hours, especially to those passing through there the first time.
Doha International won Airport of the Year (10-30 million pax) recently!! QR also won airline of the year at the same awards.
Old Mar 20, 2014, 4:55 am
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
Originally Posted by irishguy28
Doha International won Airport of the Year (10-30 million pax) recently!!
I hope this is a joke...
Old Mar 20, 2014, 6:39 am

Programs: CX,SQ,PR,QR
Originally Posted by irishguy28
Doha International won Airport of the Year (10-30 million pax) recently!!
LOL

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.