Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qatar Airways | Privilege Club
Reload this Page >

Qatar Airways Launches Free Doha City Tour For Transit Passengers

Old Jan 6, 2016, 12:46 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: remdk
Trip report of the tour with pictures and answers to some ambiguity.

http://focusedflyer.com/2016/01/06/qatar-airways-free-doha-city-tour-review/

In post 135 of this thread Brighterside suggests that the free tours have been replaced by tours costing QAR 40. This has yet to be confirmed but be warned that changes may be happening right now.
Print Wikipost

Qatar Airways Launches Free Doha City Tour For Transit Passengers

Old Nov 6, 2017, 9:44 am

Programs: BAEC Gold HH Diamond
Thanks to all. Have booked a night at the Souq Waqif courtesy of +Qatar and so far (+48 hours) there's been no email telling me it's no go because of not meeting the 12 hour restriction. So it all looks good atm.

One more question, -is it quicker to go straight through immigration on arrival, ie not as a transit passenger? There is an argument for parking my carry-on in the lounge and then escaping via the 'backwards' route, as others have done, but it does seem a little convoluted and don't wish to spend anymore time in the terminal than is necessary.
Old Nov 6, 2017, 9:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by G-ARVE
Thanks to all. Have booked a night at the Souq Waqif courtesy of +Qatar and so far (+48 hours) there's been no email telling me it's no go because of not meeting the 12 hour restriction. So it all looks good atm.

One more question, -is it quicker to go straight through immigration on arrival, ie not as a transit passenger? There is an argument for parking my carry-on in the lounge and then escaping via the 'backwards' route, as others have done, but it does seem a little convoluted and don't wish to spend anymore time in the terminal than is necessary.
Sorry, perhaps I'm being dense, but why wouldn't you simoly take your carry-on with you for an overnight stay? I'm guessing you'll be taking a taxi to your hotel rarther than using public transport (which is an option for anyone geeky about these things).

I can't see any point in milking the lounge experience when you've got a whole country waiting for you outside the airport

And on taxis, Uber works well from the airport.
Old Nov 6, 2017, 9:57 am

I could have articulated the point of the question better. So here's another go:
What's the quickest route from plane to cab?
Old Nov 6, 2017, 10:22 am

G-ARVE the fastest route would be if you arrive at a remote stand because it will drop you at the foot of the escalator up to arrivals/transit security. Follow the signs for arrivals and remember to use the airside arrivals lounge/immigration then when exiting customs follow the signs for taxis and you are through. If you arrive at a contact gate you will have a trek to arrivals.
Old Nov 6, 2017, 11:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
What's the quickest route from plane to cab?
Quickest route you can actually do, or quickest theoretically possible physical route without regard to achievability?
Old Nov 7, 2017, 12:20 am

Smile

Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
Quickest route you can actually do, or quickest theoretically possible physical route without regard to achievability?
Not being a crow, the former!
Old Nov 7, 2017, 12:23 am

Originally Posted by remdk
G-ARVE the fastest route would be if you arrive at a remote stand because it will drop you at the foot of the escalator up to arrivals/transit security. Follow the signs for arrivals and remember to use the airside arrivals lounge/immigration then when exiting customs follow the signs for taxis and you are through. If you arrive at a contact gate you will have a trek to arrivals.
Thanks, gives me what I needed to know. Now recall that being a J passenger one can bear off left when entering the arrivals hall. At least that was the case when doing a STPC a couple of years ago...
Old Nov 7, 2017, 6:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Thanks, gives me what I needed to know. Now recall that being a J passenger one can bear off left when entering the arrivals hall. At least that was the case when doing a STPC a couple of years ago...
You can. Though with multiple positions, and the current low arrival rate, the economy section might be handier. I was through with no wait at all yesterday.

If you are booking a car by phone/app, it's less messy to arrange pickups at the further doors (Gates 3 and 4).
Old Nov 11, 2017, 2:44 am

Programs: AA EXP (2.5MM), Hilton Gold, Marriott Titanium
Flying LAX-DOH-SIN, arrive DOH 21:55 and depart next day at 09:55. I'm guessing the tour is a no-go with my limited times.

Any other suggestions? My return trip has longer layover so I'm using the +Qatar free night on that overnight (Hear the IC Doha The City is the place to stay but also considering Marriott Marquis due to Plat status).
Old Nov 11, 2017, 3:31 am

mikelat welcome to the QR forum.

I am afraid that you are out of luck with the free city tour. There are only four every day at 08.00, 11.00, 16.00 and 20.00.

However you may consider arranging your own tour as others have done. See QR free transit visa - DIY Doha night tour? for details.
Old Nov 11, 2017, 3:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by mikelat
Any other suggestions? My return trip has longer layover so I'm using the +Qatar free night on that overnight (Hear the IC Doha The City is the place to stay but also considering Marriott Marquis due to Plat status).
So you'll only be at a hotel from, say, 2300 to 0800, best case. With that kind of layover, I would (and did, last month), just stay in the airport. If it doesn't break your budget, use the airport hotel. It's airside, making it much easier. If it's too expensive for you (it is for me), you might just try the quiet area in Al Mourjan, colocated with the showers behind the deli. That's what I did; and it worked out perfectly. I slept well enough, got up, had a shower, then a leisurely breakfast in the upstairs dining room before making my way to the gate. No rushing at all, a very relaxing (and free!) experience.
Old Nov 11, 2017, 7:50 am

Programs: BAEC GGL, HH Diamond.
arriving into DOH @ 18:40, does any have any idea if it is likely to still have availability for the tour that starts at 8pm?
Old Nov 11, 2017, 8:15 am

stewaran check-in for maybe the most popular tour of the day closes at 18.45! So I would say slim to none! But if there are a number of no-shows then you may have a very, very slim chance!
Old Nov 11, 2017, 12:53 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL, HH Diamond.
Originally Posted by remdk
stewaran check-in for maybe the most popular tour of the day closes at 18.45! So I would say slim to none! But if there are a number of no-shows then you may have a very, very slim chance!
Lol, not much chance !

I saw the checkin open time, but didn't spot that there was an end time
Old Dec 28, 2017, 4:08 am

Programs: BA GOLD
Is the free city tour still available I have used this link mentioned previously in this thread ....https://discoverqatar.qatarairways.c.../transittours/ ?
I have also found on the Qatar Airways website a tour which sounds identical but costs from QR40 and am unsure if one has superceded the other or if they are just different timings to the free one........https://discoverqatar.qatarairways.c.../transittours/

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.